The Ballet Thread

MinnBobber

It is time for a ballet thread. Anybody else really love the ballet??
This is a thread to post all things ballet.

I'll start off with a ballet question:
1. Is anyone familiar with the Moscow Ballet that is touring the US? I see that they are performing in MN in early December.
Looking at TicketMaster (AKA Take It In the Financial Ass) , Moscow Ballet appears in 3 different states on the
same day, Nov 26????? WTF, odd that they'd have 3 separate troupes ???

2. Ballet alert as TicketMaster shows Moscow Ballet tomorrow, Nov 26 in Rochester, MN, and Colorado Springs, and Carrolloton, GA.

IMO, ballet dancers are the best athletes in the world.

Buzzbomb Almighty

I've worked as stage crew for various ballet companies including Moscow but never seen that one perform. Of the ballets I've attended with an old girlfriend, I've fallen asleep in most of them. I fell asleep in the Karmina Burana, which is possibly the most exciting ballet there is

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
33bd2d8fc3f7dfb81d6a57396378d9a9.jpg

GetLeft

I prefer modern dance and try to catch shows when they're near but that's not frequent. Maybe once a year. Always super psyched to see them 'cause like you say it's amazing what they can do with their bodies. Good choreographers can play games with your head! And with modern you tend to get some quirky music mixed in and that can add to the trippiness.

Ramahs

How is it not a sport? It's a thing in which you compete with others. What else is needed to be a sport?
Esports are a sport, and that's not physical at all.

Ramahs,

yoldas34

You're right, the article I posted proves it's sports. But experts have categorized it as art.

yoldas34,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
How is it not a sport? It's a thing in which you compete with others. What else is needed to be a sport?
Esports are a sport, and that's not physical at all.
There are competitive aspects to the dance world, but "scoring points" and "winning" are not part of it.
Not all sport us competitive?
You're right, the article I posted proves it's sports. But experts have categorized it as art.
Why can't it be both?
There's no question that dancers are athletes.
I've ushered 2 children and 3 grand kids through many, many years of dance classes.
The recitals bore me to tears, sometimes I like the music...

I'm over the moon the last one has chosen Little League!

Ramahs

Why would you feel that sport and art are mutually exclusive?
I don't see any inherent contradiction in a thing being both sport and art.

There are competitive aspects to the dance world, but "scoring points" and "winning" are not part of it.

You've never seen a dance competition?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
You've never seen a dance competition?
Sorry about that, I just remembered Ballroom!!!
I was thinking more specifically about ballet, and while I guess the competitions exist(?), I don't think ballet will ever become an Olympic sport.

A friend recently told me about her grand daughter doing a national "Pom" competition, I'd never heard of that! It's a blend of cheerleading and dance...so go figure. It's a changing world.

MinnBobber

Ballerinas also are among the most graceful and beautiful women in the world.
The most graceful and beautiful and most athletic women in the world .
I recently was privileged to attend the Czech National Ballet performance of Onegin at the Prague National Theatre.
Stunning….as they make the impossible seem easy.
Male and female ballet artists are the best athletes in the world.

Top Bottom