Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I was cleaning out a bunch of samples from my garage when I came across a old Uvex prototype spec case. I must have given the specs away but it had a bunch of specialized lenses in there that are now useless but the case itself seemed like it may be useful.

qbQjB95l.jpg

Turns out it is very useful & now holds the following

KO PNWT, Air, SSV stir stick, 3 batteries, short stem, Ed's TNt stem, easy flow GonG & a doob tube.

If I find a piece of foam I will tailor it so it can store more items snugly but a satisfying result for recycling some old rubbish in the garage.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Ah ...
The inner self of Arizer Air ...
Aka "how to cancel the guarantee."..

(Disclaimer:English ain't my motha-language ..)

My baby ...Or ,at least ,the various parts of it ...
IMG_0001_zpsjm5xzioy.jpg

The ceramic heating element ,below the s.s. bowl and it's sensor & power wiring .
(The latter are soldered to the pcb.No room for fancy connectors ... )
IMG_0005_zpstafxzw3p.jpg

The top-quality single sided ( most probably multi-layered ) pcb.
Quality parts used allover .Reflow soldering job could have been a tad better.
Lead-free solder is used ,of course (seems to be SnAgCu ).
IMG_0002_zps1gnw1qzu.jpg

Actually the incoming air path is pretty much isolated from the electronics and battery chamber.
Any battery outgassing and/or robot farts from any fried electronics are being vented from the
adaptor power inlet socket .Although,that-usually- there's a silicone cap there ....
Weird ...
Moreover..To ensure a better isolation of the incoming air from the electronics/battery ,
the Arizer team used a wrap of kapton tape ,as an "o -ring" ....
IMG_0008_zpsjkuvtdbm.jpg

Some more electronics ,hidden inside the "venting chamber " ...
Also the heating system is not in direct contact with the rest of the unit ..
( Ala "S&B " style ... ) ..
It is seated in a heat-resistant polymer** "bowl"
with low thermal conductivity (even low thermal emissivity ,thus light colored ).
That bowl itself has four "legs " ...That is the connection with the rest of the unit.
So ,pretty much difficult for the battery & electronics to be exposed to high temps ..

**From the " looks "(<= being molded and the feel yells "polyamide" ) - of it ,seems to be a type of the Zytel FG (Food Safe / High Temp ) series.
http://dupont.materialdatacenter.com/profiler/WanA0/standard/main/quicksearch/table
IMG_0009_zpseflmasee.jpg

And finally my first "mod" to my baby ...
Instead of tha awful kapton tape used for isolation ,
a new seal was made out of teflon* thread tape.
2-3 wraps and ready to go ...
IMG_0011_zpscg4czne6.jpg

*http://www.allsealsinc.com/pdf2/Teflon Tape.pdf
http://www.sealtape.com/ptfe_white.html
http://www.cowie-tech.com/ptfeprop.htm

Final Verdict :
Overall the built quality is superb.
Top quality parts and materials used.
Makes some other ,much more expensive vapes ,
to seem and "feel" just over-priced units -for their given built quality ...

The design is just awesome ( pre-heating the incoming air,isolated path ,heat shielding ,etc ).
The vaping experience is more than just great ...

Top-class portable vaporizer.
Still ,comes at a decent price.

P.S.
Although I consider myself a quite skilled -with tools and electronics- person,
disassembling the Air was a rather ..puzzling experience ...
Many "too tight " spots ..
Do not attempt it ! It will also cancel the guarantee of your device.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Why? ooooh WHY? Did you take it apart?
Some people like to tinker with stuff... I remember getting chewed out by my parents when they walked in on me with my tv (that I bought with my own money, mind you...) completely taken apart and spread out on my desk. Must have been 14 then. Why did I do it? I dunno. I guess I just wanted to see what it looked like inside hahaha.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Why? ooooh WHY? Did you take it apart?
I'm not sure what do you mean ...
Yes ,I took it apart myself -if that's what you mean by asking "Did you take it apart? "...
And assemble it back together ..
And already had two sessions with it ...
Works great ...

So ...
Why ...the "Whies " ?
For the guarantee ?
WGAF ?
The owner ( being me ) does not , for sure...:D

Some people like to tinker with stuff... I remember getting chewed out by my parents when they walked in on me with my tv (that I bought with my own money, mind you...) completely taken apart and spread out on my desk. Must have been 14 then. Why did I do it? I dunno. I guess I just wanted to see what it looked like inside hahaha.

I used to "tinker with stuff " way before 14 years old ...
Now ,in my 40ies , I design my own high-tech "stuff" ..
I invent my own high -tech "stuff" ...
I build my high-tech "stuff" ...

So ....
I just liked to see how it is designed and made ...
Pure curiosity ,let's just say ...
From an "expert of the Art " -some would 've said ...-...
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Your vape, you can do what you like with it, i do appreciate the pics.
It would scare the bejesus out of me to take mine apart.
And i was one of those that always took stuff apart when i was young like @Quetzalcoatl

Yeap,that's the spirit !
Search for the Truth.
If and when you find it ...
Share it and then it becomes Knowledge.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

:ninja:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
One thing that I did find somewhat awkward using the Air is it's ..Human interface language ...
Based on colored light ...
Both the SMD LEDs used inside the Air are of the RGB type..
They can output red or green or blue light or their combined color*...
*Red+Green=Amber
Red+Blue=Violet
Blue+Green=Cyan
Red+Green+Blue= Varying shades of "white" (from blueish ,to greenish ,to pinkish )

So ,the Air is indicating quite a few things ,
by utilising these two RGB LEDs ...

Most of these colored light signals are already known ..
But are few that are not listed or mentioned at the manual ...
Some are just "operational combos" ,
for example when the unit preheats whille the wall adaptor is plugged .
At start,the lower "state" LED blinks "CYAN " ( GREEN from charging + BLUE from pre-heating ).
When the selected temperature is reached ,then the state LED alternates between CYAN (heating +Charging) and BLUE (heating ,not charging ).Thus the wall battery charger -most probably- is not used
for heating at all ( ..with a mere 1.2 A output ? No way !!! ) .

Others are more weird ...
Did some of you Air users got a top ("temperature set " ) LED blinking AMBER ,
while the unit was plugged in for charging immediately after a vaping session ?
If the answer is "yes" then do not worry ...
That's the unit's "battery thermal protection " kickin' in ...
It won't allow a warm unit to charge it's battery.
And is not self-resetting .
You will 've to reset the protection manually ,
by unplugging from the wall charger,
wait few minutes for the unit to cool down and then plug in again .

.....That and the low capacity of the bowls-stems ...
Just 0.95 ml of volume for the one with the plastic mouthpiece
and 1 ml of volume for the "all glass" one ...
That's about 250mg of ground herb ...
It could have been ,say 50% larger ...
1,5 ml or ~375 mg of herb ...
But ,hey ...
Maybe I'm asking for too much ,from an already GREAT vape ...

As also ,there are few other aspects of the unit that remain to be explored ...
For example the varying ratios of conduction/convection vaporizing that can be achieved with the Air ,by simple pushing in or pulling out the stem into/from the stainless steel heating chamber ...

(From personal experience on the subject :
stem all way in = More of conduction vaporising .
Better suited with finely ground &tightly packed herb and low temps.

Stem out until "glass screen" is at same level with the top plasti cover of the unit =
More of convection vaporising (more room for hot air ) .
Better suited with medium to coarse grounded & loosely packed herb and higher temps .
Must allow for at least 20" between inhalations,for the fresh - and trapped inside the chamber - air to heat up .
)

Last edited:

GetLeft

Hey @stardustsailor, stick around ;)

I've always felt I owned a kick ass vape. Now I know it.

.....and the low capacity of the bowls-stems ... But ,hey ... Maybe I'm asking for too much ,from an already GREAT vape ...

I was away the weekend and was pleased yet again by the stealth factor of the AA. With the plastic tip stem, I managed my business at one point right outside the door of my hotel on a street where there were passersby. To do this of course a sense of discretion is required along with a vape that can live up to the same expectation, but put the two together and you have a very wide panorama of possibilities and I like to keep boradening that palette.

One of the key things that drew me to this vaporizer was what appeared to be its stealth factor and it has delivered to the nth degree. Of all the vapes I've seen discussed over the past year or so while enjoying this forum, the AA has the discretion factor locked up. Concealable, minimal odor profile outside when in use (sipping, that is), virtually undetectable odor while not in use if kept moderately clean which is easy to do, easily transportable (jean pockets work just fine).

Since stealth has always been the big deal for me, combined with my fairly low-level needs (brief lower-temp sessions are all I do typically but it would be 'civilized' to be able to do them 'anytime anywhere'), I find myself wondering if Arizer would consider going more stealth with the AA. How small could that bowl get? And what else would get smaller if the load size got smaller?

I know the market's small, but maybe someone with the right skill set ...

lookhigh

FC member
.....That and the low capacity of the bowls-stems ...
Just 0.95 ml of volume for the one with the plastic mouthpiece
and 1 ml of volume for the "all glass" one ...
That's about 250mg of ground herb ...
It could have been ,say 50% larger ...
1,5 ml or ~375 mg of herb ...
But ,hey ...
Maybe I'm asking for too much ,from an already GREAT vape ...

I use EDs stem for the larger bowl.
And for the woodiness (is that even a word)

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Another one of my mods for the Air ...
Actually it's about the silicone protective sleeve ..

Marked with a sharpie where are the vents of the device ,below the sleeve ...
Took it out from the device ...
Inserted a piece of wood board into the sleeve ..
And used a hammer (!) and a hollow punch to make the vent holes ..

__57_1_8.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

Cleaned with IPA (isopropyl alcohol ) the sharpie marks and the vented sleeve was ready to use !
IMG_0001_zpspakjlyt9.jpg

Last edited:

GetLeft

Another one of my mods for the Air ...
Actually it's about the silicone protective sleeve ...

Yeah but you lose a little on the stealth factor. The titanium, weird color that it might be sitting atop your coffee table (if you were to have one and goodness knows I don't) works quite nicely outdoors while held discretely in the hand. I'm not tan but I'm not silver. And I'm fair enough to make the black version less stealth. So without realizing it my choice for the middle of the road was a good one for me. Also, that rubber bulks up the pocket and is a little harder to hide in the palm area when attempting to use in public. I have a great 'nose pick' move to conceal the AA as I move it into position. So far it has everyone fooled. It would be for naught if I had to incorporate the sleeve.

But that's just me :tup:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Yeah but you lose a little on the stealth factor.

And plenty on the "weather-proofness" factor ...
But I live in southern east EU (Hellas aka Greece ) and we 're pretty much
unaware what "bad weather" means down here ...
Have no issues with "stealth " factor ...
A lot of people here ,just smoke joints on streets and parks at open public view ...
Let alone ,that few actually are aware of what a "vaporizer " is ....
Most don't pay any attention to the Air ...
They just think it's another e-cig device ...

Cheers!

Last edited:

narrowsparrow

I hope I'm still on the Arizer Air forum? Love mine, but it is being weird at the moment. Fresh battery, lights come on and function properly, but ZERO HEAT on any setting. Is this a situation where I have to contact Arizer, or is there something simple I don't know about? Thanks. :)

GetLeft

I hope I'm still on the Arizer Air forum? Love mine, but it is being weird at the moment. Fresh battery, lights come on and function properly, but ZERO HEAT on any setting. Is this a situation where I have to contact Arizer, or is there something simple I don't know about? Thanks. :)

Issues similar to this have surfaced from time to time. Some attempts at helping have also surfaced, but at this point I think the consensus is that contacting the company you purchased from is the first step to take. I wouldn't go first to Arizer unless you purchased directly from them.

Your unit didn't happen to be hot off a long session by any chance, did it? Extended usage at high temps might have something to do with malfunctions like this.

splinter218

I have been using the Air for about 6 months now. However it is getting to harsh at times for my lungs. I have used the PVES stems, but is their a specific one I should get to turn this into a bubbler or water vaporizer?

mikeb6109

Mike's Vaporizer Review
I have been using the Air for about 6 months now. However it is getting to harsh at times for my lungs. I have used the PVES stems, but is their a specific one I should get to turn this into a bubbler or water vaporizer?
Toronto Vaporizer sells a great unit called the Iceborn and it cools down the hot vape!

mikeb6109,
Reactions: GetLeft
Top Bottom