WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
First ill say i dont use the sleeve. I bought the black one as well and dont use either of them due to the increased heat.

That being said I emailed Arizer about the increase in heat when using the sleeve a while back. Cant find the email now but IIRC they said it does increase the temp, but it doesnt increase enough to harm the unit in any way....Still i dont use mine.. Just in case.

Ordered the 18mm turbo gong to try as a mouthpiece. Now the wait.

OF

Cant find the email now but IIRC they said it does increase the temp, but it doesnt increase enough to harm the unit in any way....Still i dont use mine.. Just in case.

IMO no need to look further, isn't that exactly what you'd expect? Exactly? They're sure not going to want to allow their accessory harmed their product. They're standing behind it in any case.

I'm with you, risks without much benefit. Even if the heat isn't bad for the electronics, which would be mighty strange from my experience, we already know hot is bad for the battery. It's already a concern, why make that worse?

OF

Vapormatic

I've noticed significant increase in temp where the sleeve covers the heater ventilation slots. Will the longer cool down time due to the insulation of the sleeve have adverse effects on the unit, other than making it "warm" to the touch?
Yeah, while the sleeve insulates & increases temps in some areas, it also reduces the load/duty cycle of heater, which lowers the average temps of heater and some parts of oven.

It's neither good or bad, just depends if you lean more on conduction vs. convection

OF

Yeah, while the sleeve insulates & increases temps in some areas, it also reduces the load/duty cycle of heater, which lowers the average temps of heater and some parts of oven.

Actually it only raises temperatures. The hottest thing in the Air (the cup) remains at the same temperature (of course, it's regulated), this is where heat flows from. Everything else is cooler, at a temperature established as heat transferred into that point is balanced against heat leaving it. If you slow down the heat transfer out to colder areas, like putting insulation on it, the temperature (in degrees) at that point goes up. The oven and other parts only run hotter, not cooler.

It's not as simple as 'I'm putting in less power now, so it's colder inside'.

Think about it, you could now burn your hand on the outside of the top end if you rip the cover off and touch the cap underneath where the original (without the cover) never got that hot? It would be cooler if you put a fan on it (increasing heat flow out) instead of the cover?

Stop (or slow) the flow of heat out and heat (in calories) backs like when beavers dam a stream. This back up of heat energy transfer means the heat (in degrees) of the parts goes up (gets closer to the temperature of the source).

I'm not so worried about the oven, it's pretty tough, as I am the electronics and battery that aren't. But covering it up makes stuff hotter, not cooler, everywhere except the cup itself which is the same temperature as before. A sleeping bag makes your skin and peripheral temperature go up. That is get closer to your core temperature, 98.6F, which remains constant. It doesn't make you colder?

OF

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Just ordered my Air, gets her Saturday...should I go ahead and order the PVHES or just use the stock stems? How big of a difference is there between the two stems?

It depends.... Will buying the PVHES take money away from something else more important? If so, id say wait and try the stock stems. They work fine, and with a little playing you will figure out how to get plenty enough air flow.

Now... If you can afford the PVHES without any issues id suggest giving one a try. Lots of options. And they can really help to customize the experience. For cooler smoother hits you can look at the vortex, for maximum air flow id look at the turbo, and for quick sessions and maximum extraction id look into the shorty.. My personal opinions anyway.

There is a noticeable amount of difference in the air flow/resistance when comparing stock and PVHES, but you can also just pull the stock stem out just a bit to get more airflow... The Air comes completely usable out the box... But there are many options that "COULD" improve your experience.

Be careful though or you could be sent down a long spiraling road looking for the perfect stem... Im on my vision quest now. I dont see the finish line. But i also havent had a stem yet that didnt function well enough.... Well enough... well enough.... Hard to settle with well enough with so many options...

^^^ See i cant even talk myself out of buying the PVHES stems :rofl:

GetLeft

Today marks 2 weeks combustion free for me, all with the Air as shipped (The Air itself, a short stem and a slightly longer stem, a battery and silicone sleeve). I've had no problems whatsoever with the longer stem, so much so that I haven't even bothered trying the shorter one. I'm still learning things about how to use it. All the stem accessories I've read about here the past two weeks sure are tempting, so if you've got the money and the curiosity go for the gusto as they used to say. I'd highly recommend having at least one battery in addition to the one that comes with the package, though. That will make things more fucntional.

OF

Just ordered my Air, gets her Saturday...should I go ahead and order the PVHES or just use the stock stems? How big of a difference is there between the two stems?

I vote for trying the stock stems first. There seems to be a lot of us that come back to 'em........

I thought the sleeve took away from the good looks of the air. Kinda like a good looking man with a big bushy beard.:lmao:

Well that cinches it.....might as well give up I guess. Not only is the beard likely to stay, but I was having so very much trouble with the "good looking man" part anyway......

OF

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
I thought the sleeve took away from the good looks of the air. Kinda like a good looking man with a big bushy beard.:lmao:

Man... Thats just harsh LMAO

Never thought i was pretty anyways... But now im thinking i must be uglier than i thought because the wife wont let me shave my beard off..:lol:

Completely unrelated to everything but its time to celebrate.... with the Air, of course... Not only did i FINALLY get a peppercorn out of the perc in my bong thats been stuck for months..... But even more excitingly i just found out im closing on a house sitting on 2 acres of land on Friday. Going from a 10 foot by 20 foot excuse of a backyard here... To enough room for the kids and dog to run and play... out in the woods... Down a dirt road... My heaven. :rockon:

Cant move till mid July... But im super excited.. First time buying a home. Rent can Kiss MY A$$!!

Pull the Airs out worldwide people, lets celebrate!!! Cheers:tup:

Oh to make this more relevant... I.. Um.... Well im using the Air now... I was using it when i found out... And ill be using it there.... See? It all ties together LMAO

OF

Cant move till mid July... But im super excited.. First time buying a home. Rent can Kiss MY A$$!!

Pull the Airs out worldwide people, lets celebrate!!! Cheers:tup:

Outstanding! Congratulations, probably be the second smartest move you ever made, after marriage. Truly 'money in the bank'. Right off, interest deductions mean the IRS is making part of the payments for you. As time goes on, your mortgage stays the same while everyone's rent goes up (although taxes and insurance do rise, but much more slowly usually).

Over the years with my first house I started out needing a house mate to make payments. After he moved out there were lots of years where rents slowly rose all around me, in the end I didn't tell folks my mortgage was a small fraction of their rent.

So you might eat more beans than you'd like for a bit, in the end the family wins out big time.

And the time until move in will pass quickly enough, what with all the trips out to 'check things out' and all.

My FC hat is off to you, I'm taking the Arizer out to the garden to join in the celebration. Thanks for the happy news.

Yeah, everything gets hotter with sleeve except average temps of heater & some parts of oven. The coil/heater runs lighter duty, thus lower average temps.

This is the sleeve temp paradox

I get you believe that , and think I understand why, but it just ain't so. If the inside of the oven is the same temperarure and "everything gets hotter with sleeve" the average has to be higher. If everything is hotter......nothing cooler.....

Them's the rules, intuitive or not.

OF

GetLeft

But even more excitingly i just found out im closing on a house sitting on 2 acres of land on Friday. Going from a 10 foot by 20 foot excuse of a backyard here... To enough room for the kids and dog to run and play... out in the woods... Down a dirt road... My heaven. :rockon:

Congrats, man! Nothing like your own slice of heaven! Just finished having a new roof put on my house. May it last the 30 yrs. they say it will (I know it won't). Nothing like the joy of ownership!

Wesmac33

It depends.... Will buying the PVHES take money away from something else more important? If so, id say wait and try the stock stems. They work fine, and with a little playing you will figure out how to get plenty enough air flow.

Now... If you can afford the PVHES without any issues id suggest giving one a try. Lots of options. And they can really help to customize the experience. For cooler smoother hits you can look at the vortex, for maximum air flow id look at the turbo, and for quick sessions and maximum extraction id look into the shorty.. My personal opinions anyway.

There is a noticeable amount of difference in the air flow/resistance when comparing stock and PVHES, but you can also just pull the stock stem out just a bit to get more airflow... The Air comes completely usable out the box... But there are many options that "COULD" improve your experience.

Be careful though or you could be sent down a long spiraling road looking for the perfect stem... Im on my vision quest now. I dont see the finish line. But i also havent had a stem yet that didnt function well enough.... Well enough... well enough.... Hard to settle with well enough with so many options...

^^^ See i cant even talk myself out of buying the PVHES stems :rofl:

Super helpful man. Thanks a lot! I'll try to see what I can do with the stock stems then if I feel like it's needed I'll get the PVHES.
So all I have to do is pull the stock stem out a tiny bit and the airflow will improve? Just don't want the "thick milkshake through a straw" kind of pull.

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
Well that cinches it.....might as well give up I guess. Not only is the beard likely to stay, but I was having so very much trouble with the "good looking man" part anyway......

OF

Well, some knew right off she wasn't talking about you...esp. the "good looking man" part.
And you can probably shave the beard cause the poster has long since come down at the FBI and you didn't have the beard then, right?

:peace:

UnshavenFish

Yeah, everything gets hotter with sleeve except average temps of heater & some parts of oven. The coil/heater runs lighter duty, thus lower average temps.

This is the sleeve temp paradox

IMO yes the heater is getting an easier time due to the extra heat held so maybe the 'heater' generates less heat but the end temp is still the same, so that still doesn't lower anything other than the heat the 'heater' has to generate, again IMO.

The way i see it whether wrong or wright is the 'heater' will handle working the way it was designed to better than the rest of the Air will handle the extra heat caused by the sleeve.

Just my :2c:
:peace:

OF

IMO yes the heater is getting an easier time due to the extra heat held so maybe the 'heater' generates less heat but the end temp is still the same, so that still doesn't lower anything other than the heat the 'heater' has to generate, again IMO.

The way i see it whether wrong or wright is the 'heater' will handle working the way it was designed to better than the rest of the Air will handle the extra heat caused by the sleeve.

Yep, agreed. Because the heat losses are slowed, less battery power is used to produce fewer Watts (divide by 'four something' to get calories) to hold the same temperature. Much like your heating bills go down when you increase the R value of the insulation in your house. Or the way your metabolism can drop down (burning less sugar, producing less heat) when you crawl under the blankets for a nap. Like the house and your very own body, the temperature in the vape is controlled so when efficiency goes up (in terms of lower losses), power consumption to do the same job goes down.

OF

bluenavey00

Arizer Air Aficionado

I haven't tried the PVHES so my opinion may not be entirely valid but I'll give it anyway.

I bought a Solo 115mm stem for £7.50 in the UK. I load it, poke it into the air then pull it out such a tiny fraction.

Not sure on the price of the PVHES where you are but I remember the price being much higher than the solo stem.

Should probably add there is a downside being that it's very long so not very stealthy. I use it in non stealth environments, which is probably 80% of the time so suits my needs.

It stays really cool, and the airflow is spot on for my taste.

Last edited:

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Outstanding! Congratulations, probably be the second smartest move you ever made, after marriage. Truly 'money in the bank'. Right off, interest deductions mean the IRS is making part of the payments for you. As time goes on, your mortgage stays the same while everyone's rent goes up (although taxes and insurance do rise, but much more slowly usually).

Over the years with my first house I started out needing a house mate to make payments. After he moved out there were lots of years where rents slowly rose all around me, in the end I didn't tell folks my mortgage was a small fraction of their rent.

So you might eat more beans than you'd like for a bit, in the end the family wins out big time.

And the time until move in will pass quickly enough, what with all the trips out to 'check things out' and all.

My FC hat is off to you, I'm taking the Arizer out to the garden to join in the celebration. Thanks for the happy news.

OF

Congrats, man! Nothing like your own slice of heaven! Just finished having a new roof put on my house. May it last the 30 yrs. they say it will (I know it won't). Nothing like the joy of ownership!

Thanks guys! Very excited!! We have been renting since we met, and have moved way too many times. 8 times in 10 years... A lot of that was due to the Army.. But still, enough is enough.

Gardens... How i miss having a garden. Very little in this world interest me as much as plants and trees. Soon!!

Good luck with the roof Get Left! I'll hope for 40 years, even if it only gives you 20 years... Thats 20 years you wont have to deal with it!!

WoodVillain,
Reactions: GetLeft

Vapormatic

I get you believe that , and think I understand why, but it just ain't so. If the inside of the oven is the same temperarure and "everything gets hotter with sleeve" the average has to be higher. If everything is hotter......nothing cooler.....

Them's the rules, intuitive or not.

OF
Sorry OF, just talking about the heater/coil's average temp here. Like the element in your stove, its average temp drops if you keep the door closed.

OF

Sorry OF, just talking about the heater/coil's average temp here. Like the element in your stove, its average temp drops if you keep the door closed.

I think we're talking cross purposes as the saying goes. The Air and the stove are actually opposites in this respect. Open the kitchen door and the outer surface cools more than before, the average goes down. However, because the part we use is now too cold to use, we 'turn it up' and the maximum temperature (inside) goes higher than before to get the outside back to the original temperature, the average is higher than ever before.

In our case the adjustment is automatic and keyed to the hottest spot (the cup) not some cooler place downstream. Turn the fan on and heat losses go up, and are automatically compensated for. More power, but heat is lost to other places faster, the outer surface is now cooler than before, average down.

If that doesn't make you're head swim.......

Thanks.

OF

bluenavey00

Arizer Air Aficionado
I have been using the Solo stem on my air for a while and I left it a bit long between cleaning and since then there has been a few black sticky spots right where the drilled air holes are on the part where the stem gets slightly wider.

I have been cleaning with salt and ISO in a sealable bag and shaking but this did not get rid of it. So I have left to soak for a few hours standing submerged in a small ISO bottle (as someone on here recommended) and it is still there currently.

If I leave it longer will it eventually go? Do I need brush it with something? I can't get anything down that far into it.

OF

I have been cleaning with salt and ISO in a sealable bag and shaking but this did not get rid of it. So I have left to soak for a few hours standing submerged in a small ISO bottle (as someone on here recommended) and it is still there currently.

If I leave it longer will it eventually go?

I doubt it. Soaking is Solvent alone is not very effective at 'baked on junk' as you've found

Rather, I suggest you chage to PBW, a detergent designed specifically for this sort of stuff:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/

Try oxiclean or tear off a piece of toilet paper, wet it, ball it up and push it through with a pencil or something.

While sometimes a good technique it won't work here, there's a solid (perforated) glass partition in the way. I assume you don't have one? Even aftermarket stems like Ed's have similar obstructions.

This is an Air stem, shorter but otherwise the same. You can see the obstruction half an inch or so in?
zmsSrLE.jpg

OF

Top Bottom