The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
The news isn't ALL grim for Democrats.

1. The Democratic Candidate for President has won 6 of the last 7 popular vote tallies...including Hillary Clinton.

2. Democrats picked up 2 seats in the Senate and 9 in the House of Representatives.

3. Arkansas, Florida, Montana, and North Dakota passed medical MJ by healthy vote margins.

4. California, Maine, Massachussetts, and Nevada have legalized recreational marijuana.

These are not insignificant gains. So do not give in to despair. Trump will now actually have to GOVERN. That's something I can't WAIT to see. Perhaps he will surprise me and my fellow Democrats. But if not, we will at least have an entertaining train wreck to beguile the tedium of the next 4 years. :popcorn:

little maggie

Live Paul Ryan Speech: "And now Donald Trump will lead a unified Republican Government."

Things I hoped I'd never live to hear.

:puke:
With the "reds" running the country without opposition Trump can accomplish a lot. I don't think picking up seats matter when the majority is still Republican and Republicans will vote in a block.
Why exactly do we still have this idiot electoral college system? Wasn't it because those who set up our system didn't trust voters to make intelligent decisions or something like that?
And as an aside- while wanting government support for legalization may be important, it's not going to be so great if you lose your job and can't afford it. Or if you're getting it as medication.
Or do most of you grow your own so the cost doesn't matter?

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
We aren't seeing excitement with the Trump presidency. We are only seeing protesting against him. 46% of Americans didn't even vote. Many of the Bernie folks felt cheated and I don't blame them. I think Bernie could have beaten Trump. Unfortunately with Hillary there just was too much baggage.

We shouldn't just drop all the issues with Russia tampering with our election, that needs to be addressed.

Trump needs to apologize for some of the horrible things he's said regarding women and minorities, With the protesting we are seeing anger and fear and I can't blame them. People are afraid and need some reassurance. How will he respond to the protesting?

It looks like the protesting is starting to get out of hand in LA. HWY 101 is blocked. A very dangerous situation.

Let's see if Trump can really be a president that is fair to all. He has a lot to prove. People voted for this man even though they thought he couldn't be president. Crazy times.

It's also scary thinking about Rudy Giuliani and Chris Christie in a Trump cabinet. I'm worried for legal cannabis laws and a lot more. With Trumps unpredictability we can't trust anything he says

Van Jones had some real heart felt things that he had to say on CNN. He's having a hard time talking to his children trying to explain the election. I've had so many people tell me that today. We as adults can't fully comprehend it, let alone explaining it to our kids.

Edit
I never advocate violence when protesting. Trump created this fear in people. Its frightening times for many. There needs to be a period of healing and there are a lot of unknowns.

Yes @HighSeasSailor folks need to continue to speak up loud and clear - never stop.

I like Canada's president.

Last edited:

Krazy

do most of you grow your own so the cost doesn't matter?
I'm plugged into a "favor" based grey market which means I don't grow or pay in $. NM medical laws have a loop hole left over from the early days; licensed medical users are allowed to procure from "where ever".

I would very much like to home garden and be licensed to do so. I have held off for fear of the licensed grower list being used as an arrest list under a republican presidency. I'm not happy to have my "just in case" paranoia pay off.

Krazy,

MyCollie

Folks have a genuine fear out there. I don't blame anybody for protesting. I say go for it. As long as nobody is breaking the law.

Edit
I don't agree when the protesting gets out of hand and it's unsafe.

I'll be screwed if something happens and I'm suddenly unable to get insurance coverage for my pre-existing condition. I'm honestly afraid of that type of situation happening despite whatever the republicans are saying. People say it's only four years but a lot can happen in no time.

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
The white lash term and most of your post is pure race baiting.
OK, you think I'm making race into a big deal, when in fact I'm just observing with my own ears what I hear. I have heard the term "black house" many times in both Kentucky and a few times even in new York! Trump's campaign was filled with hate against others, so it wasn't me who put any emphasis on race.

Accomplishing what, other than pissing off people trying to commute to work?

Look at it from the other perspective. When you cruise by a women's clinic and see those protesters, do you think they're doing a wonderful service by voicing their opinion? Or do you think it would be nice for the ladies who require the clinic's services if they didn't have to see that bullshit on the way in?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm increasingly failing to see the point of making noise for its own sake. Major issues aren't settled by zealots with sharpies and spare time, they're settled by lawyers and cold hard cash, and plebicite referendums that the law forbids the gov't to ignore. Cannabis has been driven like a wedge into the political system, and it's been done with intelligent dissemination of information, funds to supply quality lawyers, and using the law to give the people the final say. Protests are for angry kids.

When people protest, it's too get their voice out there. I used to think it foolish to priest, but without it, blacks would still be officially second class citizens. Many still feel they are. I joined in a blm protest on my way home from work today and gladly chanted for our little tiny town to get rid of its militarized weapons and vehicles.
Half of America thinks it's okay to judge someone based on their religion, and you think their is no point in voicing our concerns? If we don't speak up we are rolling over and just accepting defeat. Protests put issues into the national light. And yeah, you might have to slow down on your way to work. You might be presented with views different from your own. And it puts heat on local politicians to not ignore the voices of the people.

So yeah, I used to think they did was annoy people, but I now believe it's much deeper than that. Black lives matter alone has brought so much conversation to the table. The world is watching.

And finally, I feel I should point out that I'm only referring to noon violent protesting. Violence to people or property is something completely different. We know the difference, right? We are also aware that the police have tried to goad protesters to violence or sometimes even initiate the violence at times? I've seen it happen first hand.

Last edited:

HighSeasSailor

When people protest, it's too get their voice out there. I used to think it foolish to priest, but without it, blacks would still be officially second class citizens. Many still feel they are. I joined in a blm protest on my way home from work today and gladly chanted for our little tiny town to get rid of its militarized weapons and vehicles.
Half of America thinks it's okay to judge someone based on their religion, and you think their is no point in voicing our concerns? If we don't speak up we are rolling over and just accepting defeat. Protests put issues into the national light. And yeah, you might have to slow down on your way to work. You might be presented with views different from your own. And it puts heat on local politicians to not ignore the voices of the people.

So yeah, I used to think they did was annoy people, but I now believe it's much deeper than that. Black lives matter alone has brought so much conversation to the table. The world is watching.

And finally, I feel I should point out that I'm only referring to noon violent protesting. Violence to people or property is something completely different. We know the difference, right? We are also aware that the police have tried to goad protesters to violence or sometimes even initiate the violence at times? I've seen it happen first hand.

And? What is going to be accomplished here? Trump won via legitimate and legal means, there is nothing to protest. These are simply rebels without a clue. Elevating them to the level of the civil rights movement of the 60s is an insult to that movement. At the very bare minimum, a protest should have some goal in mind. If there is none, it's just a circle jerk.

The world already has 7 billion voices, all shouting to be heard over one another, with nary an ear to listen. The honest truth? I think the world would be better off if more people saved their voice and put on their work boots. Unless your personal contribution to a protest is worth more than the money you could earn working (and donating the earnings) instead, you'd clearly make a bigger difference taking up a second job.

Obviously, laboring in silence is a less popular option for zealous youth than getting out on the front lines where all the glory is waiting. Everyone wants to be a soldier on the front lines, nobody wants to be an accountant, much less the janitor, even if that's what's truly needed.

Tranquility

I'll be screwed if something happens and I'm suddenly unable to get insurance coverage for my pre-existing condition. I'm honestly afraid of that type of situation happening despite whatever the republicans are saying. People say it's only four years but a lot can happen in no time.
Even if the ACA is completely repealed (Which I support.), the pre-ACA days had rules on continuing or changing coverage with a pre-existing condition. Everyone has had someone they love go through a health struggle and has a sense of what is fair. If you're covered now, you'll be covered after any change. (That sounds a lot like, If you like your doctor/health plan, you'll keep your... promise doesn't it?) I suspect it will be something along the lines of a high deductible standard plan for everyone that is designed to be true insurance and some type of pre-paid health care plan to cover the gap up to the high deductible with subsidies based on income. Probably a removal of restrictions on insurance for interstate sale to enhance competition and some pre-tax saving plan as well. The argument to come up with an actual law will be about how regulated the pre-paid plans will be in what they must provide. The more conservative will want to leave it to the market and the more progressive will want to make sure certain things are covered.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
@HighSeasSailor Who says people who protest don't also work hard and also even raise a family? I'm not making the correlation between protesting and laboring in silence.
I'll be more specific. A good buddy is a janitor among many other things. He takes pride in everything he does...lifting weights, construction work, cooking, raising children, yet you can find him from time to time protesting a cause he feels worthy. And yeah, he could be picking up some extra money, but that's his choice, isn't it?

I believe they are protesting the electoral college. Hillary won the popular vote, but lost the election. What this literally means is that more of the nation voted for Hillary, but Trump won. If this had happened to Trump, do you believe for one moment that his people would silently take defeat? He would be calling it rigged. He already did that!

TeeJay1952

How do you cure apathy and non participation in politics? Extremist candidates.
We are all in a lifeboat running from one side to the other to keep from tipping over.
Until we take our seats and pull in one direction, we are not going anywhere.
Let's do the things we agree on and debate the rest later.

Scott A

OK, you think I'm making race into a big deal, when in fact I'm just observing with my own ears what I hear. I have heard the term "black house" many times in both Kentucky and a few times even in new York! Trump's campaign was filled with hate against others, so it wasn't me who put any emphasis on race.
I dont just think you are making a big deal about race. You are literally just accused "much of white America" of being afraid of the "black house" and then you go even further to insinuate that it was the racism of white America that fought back to keep a white woman out of office. Heck you even agree with the term coined by a blatant racist. Im just calling a spade a spade.

Scott A,

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Yeah, I do believe much of America is racist. Look who was elected. Trump evidently despises too many people to keep track of. With my own ears I heard the racists screaming in pain over Obama being elected and the white house becoming a black house.

Yeah maybe it's a stretch to think people who hate black people also wouldn't want a woman to be president, but maybe it's not. I don't know.

Furthermore, Van Jones isn't a racist. Ooh my goodness lol he didn't hate white people.

Scott A

Yeah, I do believe much of America is racist. Look who was elected. Trump evidently despises too many people to keep track of. With my own ears I heard the racists screaming in pain over Obama being elected and the white house becoming a black house.

Yeah maybe it's a stretch to think people who hate black people also wouldn't want a woman to be president, but maybe it's not. I don't know.
Yeah I can see this conversation is done here. If you dont understand what is wrong with your own words then there is just no helping you. You are part of the problem and the sad part is you just dont see it.

HighSeasSailor

@HighSeasSailor Who says people who protest don't also work hard and also even raise a family? I'm not making the correlation between protesting and laboring in silence.
I'll be more specific. A good buddy is a janitor among many other things. He takes pride in everything he does...lifting weights, construction work, cooking, raising children, yet you can find him from time to time protesting a cause he feels worthy. And yeah, he could be picking up some extra money, but that's his choice, isn't it?

I believe they are protesting the electoral college. Hillary won the popular vote, but lost the election. What this literally means is that more of the nation voted for Hillary, but Trump won. If this had happened to Trump, do you believe for one moment that his people would silently take defeat? He would be calling it rigged. He already did that!

It's nice that your friend has a life, but I'm not saying he should get a job, I'm saying that if you care enough about something to take it seriously, and approach the matter from a perspective of economic reality, you will realize that you are contributing less toward any cause by direct action than you would by funding - i.e. by working a normal job and donating the proceeds, as your job is presumably your most economically efficient use of time, and a professional would presumably do the labor you donated more efficiently as well. This is generally accepted fact among more serious activists.

Street protests are social functions. People go there to meet people who agree with them, and to be seen being a person who does this kind of thing. What exactly do you even mean by protesting the electoral college? Are you under the impression that there's some remote chance that these people will undo the electoral college, or bring about some useful, demonstrable change?

What I'm saying is it's easy to be a slacktivist and make a racket. It takes actually giving a shit to be willing to make a real sacrifice, like taking a second job to fund a cause you believe in, rather than attending a block party where you might make the news if everyone is obnoxious enough to provoke police overreaction.

BD9

I am going ask you guys again. PLEASE call or email the DNC and tell them what their mistake cost us. I have called and emailed yesterday and today.
We need to let them know that their dirty, good ol' boy politics will not stand. This dude does not abide.

The RealClearPolitics average from May 6-June 5 had Sanders at 49.7% to Trump's 39.3%, a 10.4-point cushion.

In that same time frame, Trump was polling close to Clinton and was even ahead in multiple polls.

Sanders' popularity among white working-class voters might have been the difference in this election; voters that Trump ultimately won.

Sanders defeated Clinton in both the Wisconsin and Michigan and Indiana primaries, two of the states that Trump surprised in on Tuesday.

Tell the DNC we should now be anticipating a Sanders administration instead of an Orange STD administration.

Phone: 202-863-8000

email: info@democrats.org

CarolKing

I think regardless of who won I think we would be seeing protesting either way. All the white racists would be protesting instead of who's protesting now which are the minorities. There are some of Trumps supporters that aren't bigots, I know that. We had two decisive characters running and we live in a free country. I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'm not sure if anything can be done to smooth people's nerves. Donald Trump needs to talk with the country and tell them that he will be fair and a safe person to have as a president. Folks realize Trump doesn't have the temperment to be a president and they are afraid. Can you blame them? Trump talked about Obama not being a legit president for almost 8 years. That's a major thing that made me very angry personally. I am sad to see our president go. Now look what we are stuck with for at least 4 years.

@BD9 contacted and complained to the DNC already.

What about Trump's conflict of interest with all his companies?

I didn't feel quite so horrified this morning when I woke. Still feeling down though about the election. An ache in my bottom of my stomach that hasn't gone away. I understand the protesting. Trump made a lot of enemies during the election and folks (voters) don't forget. What can we expect he is so decisive and a bully. Just a fact.

I too sometimes feel I live in two Americas. Folks on the west coast can't believe who was elected.
We are more progressive on the west coast. That's why cannabis is easier to make medical legal. The west coast started the medical cannabis because they are more progressive. Same with attitudes toward gays.
It's just the way it's been over the last 25+ years. Right wing America is horrified by some of the rights that gays have. That is a whole different thread.

Last edited:

Baron23

The trailer parks have spoken and they chose Trump

I'm sorry, my friend....but this really refines and extends the definition of 'left coast elitism". Yep, must be because they are deplorable. Or perhaps...as Carol alluded to all.. 55M of them must be stupid. But you have illuminated the real reason....they are poor trash trailer park residents!

Never allowing for a moment that "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Might it just be...just maybe.... that there is more to this country, more variance in culture and values, more ways people experience and perceive their life than urban centers of leftist liberalism?

I have no fight with you, Steama...really, you are a long time and esteemed member of this board and I do indeed respect that. Also, I know you are more thoughtful, nuanced and considered than this one excerpted quote would indicate (but it was a great straight line! LOL)

But I'm already a bit fed up by the desperate rationalizations used to justify HRC's loss that I'm seeing in mainstream media already when the reality is that we are a VERY divided country. Not only in our votes but in our life styles and how those manners of living effect our views of our society and Government.

After all this I say, we have got to give this man a chance to govern.

On this we are in violent agreement. The one thing I am completely and utterly clear on is that we are indeed a constitutional democracy and the results are in. That's it. I would have tghe same attitude if HRC won. The peaceful transition of power resulting from democratic elections is one of the key features that differentiate the USA from all other countries in the world and THAT is something worth defending vigorously.

There are some of Trumps supporters that aren't bigots, I know that.

Some....over 55M people cast a vote for the Republican nominee. So, only some of them aren't racists? Wow, I think you need to get out and see more of our country, Carol. Maybe meet and speak with folks who aren't in lock step with you politically. You may find it perspective broadening.

Cheers

Last edited:

CarolKing

@Baron23 you made your point several times. You are putting words in my mouth. Of course I don't believe 55 million aren't all bigots but Trump is who the KKK and Breitbart News supported. What are we suppose to believe? Trump's statements alone were decisive and bigoted.

Let alone the grabbing of women's private parts and getting away with it WTF. I really thought that would blow him out of the water. I can't wrap my head around it.

Edit
If we lived in China we could get shot for protesting. I'm glad and thankful we have that right.
He needs to listen to what the protesters are saying and address their fears.

Last edited:

turk

turk
.....trying to find some good.....what we are witnessing Is the death of Clintonism...and that's really good...after Reagan and bush (the 1st. legitimate one)...the dems desperate to become relevant again...chose a southerner...with charisma who won in Arkansas and saw a path to the whitehouse...that path was assisted by taking corporate money (like the repubs)...but implying that they would help poor folks...(the Clinton "I feel your pain") stuff..
..it worked for two cycles...but like everything else ..power corrupts...the money trumped ideology...
...macbill talked of existentialism ...he's right...the dems have lost their anchor...values...and purpose..

GetLeft

...the dems have lost their anchor...values...and purpose..

Wtf? There may be a silver lining somewhere in HC's loss but it ain't that the dems don't have a purpose and the other guys do. Listened to what she's had to say? It's mostly good stuff even though it's coming from her. Hate on her if you want but don't think that those who vote blue are wandering aimlessly. We're moving forward. Leading. Fighting the good fight. Unlike the other side that fears any change that doesn't look like america circa 1950, that thinks that the government exists a) to keep them (white christian folk) and not others (not white christian folk) with a good american living to earn. It nauseates me to hear how 'middle (red) america' complains about losing jobs because of the government, and wants the government to fix things so they have good jobs again, while at the same time they shit on anyone suggesting that the government help other people. Last time I didn't have a job you know what I did? I picked my ass up and I moved and I went and got another one! Make america great again my ass stupid assholes. My hope (not my faith which is somewhat shaken) is that sanity prevails over the next four years and that enough sane republicans caucus with enough sane democrats to keep the Crazy Nasty One at bay. Otherwise, that usa 1950 is right back at you and you can cry in your soup all on your own cause you fucked things up good and maybe forever.

GetLeft,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Since ya'all are still here I thought I would ask a couple questions. What happens when POTUS is convicted of fraud for Trump University? What happens if/when he is convicted of doing business illegally with Cuba? Are these "high crimes and misdemeanors"? Does he get impeached? How do we handle his slush fund/Foundation? How bout his other businesses? Handing them off to his kids is NOT a "blind trust". We never tried to figure this out because we never thought we would have to.

Yes, this is a different kind of POTUS. I am not looking forward to his tenure, as much as I wish I could. It will not be like anything we have had before. I hope he can convince us that he really does care about us, but he will not have an easy job of it. We can't just assume that he does because he has already shown us that he does not.

Top Bottom