The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

Amoreena

Grown up Flower Child
Well considered. ...
Thank you. I agree we need some fun and a new angle to discuss sure can't hurt. :) IMO, women are more accustomed to hearing men yell (fathers, husbands, etc.) and knowing that society usually regards male yelling as a sign of strength.

Men aren't accustomed to seeing/hearing women as public figures with authority that makes yelling in public acceptable. They've heard their mothers and wives yelling at them more privately and think they're bitches, as you showed by the examples you posted.

Am not sure how well I said that. (off-topic Sunset Sherbet bump :tup:)

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
They've heard their mothers and wives yelling at them more privately and think they're bitches, as you showed by the examples you posted.
Well, personally, I have never thought of women as bitches, I merely engaged in a lighthearted jest. I have no idea of the yelling you speak of since it never happened in my household. I have already apologized, if that isn't enough then peace be with you . . . :peace:

Last edited:
t-dub,
Reactions: mestizo

Amoreena

Grown up Flower Child
Well, personally, I have never thought of women as bitches, I merely engaged in a lighthearted jest. I have no idea of the yelling you speak of since it never happened in my household. I have already apologized, if that isn't enough then peace be with you . . . :peace:
There has been a misunderstanding. I didn't feel you owed me an apology and was merely carrying on the discussion. Lucky you, growing up in a household where nobody ever shouted. We don't yell in our home, but my dad sure did and my mother did not. Peace be with you, too.

Last edited:

Tranquility

I propose that we sentence both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to 4 years of Co-Presidency with one another as a punishment for their crimes against the American people.

We will air this as a 24x7 reality TV show and use all of the money generated to pay off the national debt and create jobs in the process. Donald Clinton 2016. :bowdown:
Politician Cagematch!

The emperor against lord Vader. To. The. Death.

I think the difference between men's and women's voices is the reason many men react that way when she raises her voice. If her voice had the depth that most males' voices have, it wouldn't seem shrill to so many men, in my opinion. If she only spoke in a calm, well-modulated typical female voice with no fire, she'd appear weak. :2c:
Stress causes fight or flight response which tightens muscles--including ones that affect voice. Good speakers and those who need to project authority (like cops) practice slowing down and breathing deeper in order to not sound shrill when it happens.

Donald Trump is the maniac, the madman, that he and I both are worried about getting a nuclear weapon. :lol:
Jill Stein would disagree.

https://twitter.com/ed_hooley/status/793135632671387649

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Hillary’s Emails: a Socratic Dialogue
by Steven Waldman
November 1, 2016 9:00 AM

An imaginary conversation between a Wise Person and a Confused Person who has not been following the email controversy.

Wise Person: They’re saying these latest revelations are as bad as Watergate.

Confused Person: Wow. I haven’t been following the whole email thing. Could you explain what Hillary Clinton did wrong?

She put her email correspondence on a private server in her house instead of using the State Department’s server.

That’s strange. Is that illegal?

No. But it’s horribly unwise because spies and foreigners could get hold of highly sensitive classified information that way.

Yikes. Foreigners hacked into her server?

Well there’s no evidence yet that that happened. But it could have.

Obviously it would have been safer if she’d have it on the government servers.

Definitely. Well, probably. Maybe. A lot of government emails have been hacked too, because government is incompetent.

But not the State Department, I bet. They’re buttoned up because they deal with top secret stuff.

Actually the State Department was hacked, too

So the State Department’s email was hacked and Hillary’s wasn’t? Maybe the rest of the State Department should have used her server in Chappaqua?

Har har. Very funny. You’re totally missing the point. She put highly sensitive information potentially at risk. She sent 30,000 emails. And the FBI found classified emails in her personal servers!

That’s horrible! I didn’t mean to joke. That really is very serious. She sent thousands of classified emails on her personal email. Wow.

Um, no, she sent 30,000 emails in total, but obviously not all of them were classified.

Still, she sent thousands of classified emails. That’s really reckless. I get it now.

Actually it looks like she knowingly sent three classified emails.

Three?

Yes, three.

Oh. Still, even a few top secret emails could lead to our enemies getting weapons of mass destruction or discovering who our spies are. Was anyone hurt as a result? What did the emails disclose?

One email mentioned that Kofi Annan was stepping down as a special envoy.

Don’t they issue, like, press releases about that kind of thing?

Yes, but don’t you see – it hadn’t happened yet. So it was secret. So our enemies could have found out before the press release. If they had hacked it. Anyway, you’re not listening. The most important discovery is that she deleted 30,000 emails!

Whoaaaa. You buried the lead. That sounds horrible. She deleted 30,000 state department emails?

Well no. She deleted 30,000 personal emails.

She’s not allowed to delete her personal emails?

She is but the problem is that she got to decide which personal emails to delete. She should have instead had a work phone and a personal phone. And she could have kept them separate that way.

I’m confused. In that scenario, wouldn’t she also have been the one deciding what emails to send on her personal phone and what to write on her work phone?

That’s not the point. The point is that by deleting these emails she could be covering up all sorts of crimes.

Ohhh. So these emails related to other crimes she’d committed. Wow. That does sound like a cover up. Not very transparent, I must say. Don’t they always say it’s the cover up that’ll get you in the end, or something like that? What were the crimes she was covering up?

We don’t know of any — yet. But there might be some related to Benghazi, though no one is saying she committed any crime there. But she showed very bad judgment.

So the personal emails she deleted might have been related to a crime she didn’t commit.

Exactly. Anyway, everything we thought we knew about this is now kerplooey because it turns out new batches of emails have been discovered! And get this: they were found on the computer of that creepy sex addict ex-Congressman Anthony Weiner! That’s why people are saying this is a huge scandal. Emails….servers…sex scandals…Crooked Hillary.

Holy cow. Hillary was helping Anthony Weiner to solicit underage girls?

No of course not. I’m not some kind of crazy conspiracy theorist.

Right, sorry. So these are new emails that she didn’t turn over before.

Actually, we don’t know that. They may be duplicates of the emails they already looked at.

Oh, I thought you said they were new.

They’re on a new computer – on a computer that also contained pictures of Anthony Weiner’s penis.

So these are emails that may or may not be from Hillary that may or may not have been duplicates, may or may not have been classified and may or may not have been related to any other wrongdoing. But they’re on the same computer as Anthony Weiner’s dick picks.

Exactly. Can’t you now see why this is as big as Watergate?

Tranquility

Still, she sent thousands of classified emails. That’s really reckless. I get it now.

Three?

Yes, three.
I'd go through and debunk the whole thing, but, an admission she should have been convicted of three counts of 18 USC 793 for a potential of 30 years in prison is good enough for me.

(Pro tip to the author: Remove "knowingly" if you want to be an apologist. The only defense on our facts is that it happened carelessly.)

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I thought I had heard Comey at one point say the public doesn't want us to prosecute people who didn't know they were doing something illegal and.... this next one that I am quoting Comey directly.....
"You have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they knew they were engaged in something that was unlawful."

WHAT!?!?!?! THEY HAVE TO KNOW!?!?!?! BULL! If this is the law then how does anyone ever get convicted of anything!?

You can't convict me ... I had no idea running him over with my car would kill him.... if I backed up like that 20 times.

While I believe the above would pertain to minor types of perjury I don't believe it pertains to an outright illegal act performed due to stupidity because.......that flies against "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" that we all live by.

I'm sick and tired of ALL of these candidates. From the 'privileged liars' to the 'obviously stupid' ... I've had it up to my eyeballs with this crap.

If I ever need proof that nice, well meaning, smart guys/people finish last I'll just turn to this time in history. Lets face it....Politics is the ultimate game where .... If you play by the rules be prepared to lose.

At this point nobody should be blinded by the projected innocence and morality playing to the public....each candidate is a broken promise waiting to happen. We're just picking the one whose promises we like better while we wait for the promise to be broken.

Even the best do it.....I didn't get to keep my plan, my doctor or..... my money.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump’s Russia ties become the subject of multiple controversies
11/01/16 08:00 AM

By Steve Benen
Donald Trump’s Russian connections, coupled with his frequent support for Russian President Vladimir Putin, have been the subject of scrutiny for months, but just yesterday, a series of parallel controversies came into focus.

The lines between the stories can get a little blurry, so let’s try to clarify matters.

Controversy #1: FBI scrutiny of Russian hacking

As we discussed yesterday, there’s some evidence that the FBI recently reached an important conclusion: Russian hackers did, in fact, steal Democratic materials in the hopes of helping Trump win the U.S. presidential election. The FBI didn’t tell the public, however, because Director James Comey believed the revelations came too close to Election Day (a concern he didn’t apply to the Democratic candidate for reasons that are unclear).

Controversy #2: FBI takes an interest in Trump’s former campaign chairman

NBC News reported late yesterday that the FBI “has been conducting a preliminary inquiry into Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort’s foreign business connections,” including connections in Russia and Putin’s allies in Ukraine. Manafort has denied any wrongdoing.

Controversy #3: The Trump Organization’s server

Franklin Foer published a piece in Slate on the findings of computer scientists, who found something unexpected: the Trump Organization had a server that had a series of suspicious, exclusive transmissions with a Russian bank operated by Putin’s oligarch allies. When a reporter began inquiring about the connection, the transmissions stopped without explanation.

Controversy #4: David Corn’s foreign source

Mother Jones’ David Corn reported late yesterday that “a former senior intelligence officer for a Western country who specialized in Russian counterintelligence” told him a doozy of a story: the unnamed officer says he provided the FBI with “memos, based on his recent interactions with Russian sources, contending the Russian government has for years tried to co-opt and assist” Donald Trump. The report added that the FBI “requested more information from him.”

It’s worth emphasizing that Trump and his team have denied any wrongdoing, and not all of the reporting points in an alarming direction. The New York Times, for example, reports today that the FBI has scrutinized the Republican team’s connections to Russia, and at least for now, “none of the investigations … found any conclusive or direct link between Mr. Trump and the Russian government.”

Of course, given the broader circumstances, we don’t know who’s responsible for leaking this to the Times or what political motivations may be at play.

Whether anything will come of these allegations is unclear, and it’s entirely possible that we’re looking at smoke without a fire. But the allegations themselves are nevertheless serious and worth exploring in the campaign’s final week.

cybrguy,

Baron23

Hillary’s Emails: a Socratic Dialogue
by Steven Waldman
November 1, 2016 9:00 AM

An imaginary conversation between a Wise Person and a Confused Person who has not been following the email controversy.

Wise Person: They’re saying these latest revelations are as bad as Watergate.

Confused Person: Wow. I haven’t been following the whole email thing. Could you explain what Hillary Clinton did wrong?

She put her email correspondence on a private server in her house instead of using the State Department’s server.

That’s strange. Is that illegal?

No. But it’s horribly unwise because spies and foreigners could get hold of highly sensitive classified information that way.

Yikes. Foreigners hacked into her server?

Well there’s no evidence yet that that happened. But it could have.

Obviously it would have been safer if she’d have it on the government servers.

Definitely. Well, probably. Maybe. A lot of government emails have been hacked too, because government is incompetent.

But not the State Department, I bet. They’re buttoned up because they deal with top secret stuff.

Actually the State Department was hacked, too

So the State Department’s email was hacked and Hillary’s wasn’t? Maybe the rest of the State Department should have used her server in Chappaqua?

Har har. Very funny. You’re totally missing the point. She put highly sensitive information potentially at risk. She sent 30,000 emails. And the FBI found classified emails in her personal servers!

That’s horrible! I didn’t mean to joke. That really is very serious. She sent thousands of classified emails on her personal email. Wow.

Um, no, she sent 30,000 emails in total, but obviously not all of them were classified.

Three?

Yes, three.

Oh. Still, even a few top secret emails could lead to our enemies getting weapons of mass destruction or discovering who our spies are. Was anyone hurt as a result? What did the emails disclose?

One email mentioned that Kofi Annan was stepping down as a special envoy.

Don’t they issue, like, press releases about that kind of thing?

Yes, but don’t you see – it hadn’t happened yet. So it was secret. So our enemies could have found out before the press release. If they had hacked it. Anyway, you’re not listening. The most important discovery is that she deleted 30,000 emails!

Whoaaaa. You buried the lead. That sounds horrible. She deleted 30,000 state department emails?

Well no. She deleted 30,000 personal emails.

She’s not allowed to delete her personal emails?

She is but the problem is that she got to decide which personal emails to delete. She should have instead had a work phone and a personal phone. And she could have kept them separate that way.

I’m confused. In that scenario, wouldn’t she also have been the one deciding what emails to send on her personal phone and what to write on her work phone?

That’s not the point. The point is that by deleting these emails she could be covering up all sorts of crimes.

Ohhh. So these emails related to other crimes she’d committed. Wow. That does sound like a cover up. Not very transparent, I must say. Don’t they always say it’s the cover up that’ll get you in the end, or something like that? What were the crimes she was covering up?

We don’t know of any — yet. But there might be some related to Benghazi, though no one is saying she committed any crime there. But she showed very bad judgment.

So the personal emails she deleted might have been related to a crime she didn’t commit.

Exactly. Anyway, everything we thought we knew about this is now kerplooey because it turns out new batches of emails have been discovered! And get this: they were found on the computer of that creepy sex addict ex-Congressman Anthony Weiner! That’s why people are saying this is a huge scandal. Emails….servers…sex scandals…Crooked Hillary.

Holy cow. Hillary was helping Anthony Weiner to solicit underage girls?

No of course not. I’m not some kind of crazy conspiracy theorist.

Right, sorry. So these are new emails that she didn’t turn over before.

Actually, we don’t know that. They may be duplicates of the emails they already looked at.

Oh, I thought you said they were new.

They’re on a new computer – on a computer that also contained pictures of Anthony Weiner’s penis.

So these are emails that may or may not be from Hillary that may or may not have been duplicates, may or may not have been classified and may or may not have been related to any other wrongdoing. But they’re on the same computer as Anthony Weiner’s dick picks.

Exactly. Can’t you now see why this is as big as Watergate?
Well, I suppose if one is to make up a dialog they may as well make one up that fits their personal political views.

By the by, control of classified information is indeed protected by law and I think she got a buy from the FBI on this that we mere mortals would not.

But, let's get back to the self-serving excuse making.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I really hope poor Kelly Anne is getting paid as she goes and not expecting any bonus. I would hate to see her getting screwed like so many of Trumps creditors...

The reemergence of ‘Deadbeat Donald’
11/01/16 09:30 AM

By Steve Benen
Last summer, as Donald Trump was climbing to the top of Republican presidential polling, he told NBC News’ Chuck Todd about his virtues as a candidate. “I don’t have pollsters,” Trump boasted. “I don’t want to waste money on pollsters.”

Less than a year later, the GOP candidate made a rather striking shift in the opposite direction, hiring Tony Fabrizio, a veteran Republican pollster with extensive experience. But more than a year after Trump said he didn’t want to pay for a pollster, the Washington Post reports that the presidential hopeful may have meant that literally.

Donald Trump’s hiring of pollster Tony Fabrizio in May was viewed as a sign that the real estate mogul was finally bringing seasoned operatives into his insurgent operation.

But the Republican presidential nominee appears to have taken issue with some of the services provided by the veteran GOP strategist, who has advised candidates from 1996 GOP nominee Bob Dole to Florida Gov. Rick Scott. The Trump campaign’s latest Federal Election Commission report shows that it is disputing nearly $767,000 that Fabrizio’s firm says it is still owed for polling.​

If this problem – Trump hires someone to do a job, then decides he doesn’t want to pay for the completed services – sounds at all familiar, it’s not your imagination.
We talked a few months ago about Trump’s bad habit of hiring working-class Americans – mechanics, plumbers, painters, waiters, dishwashers, etc. – who sent Trump bills for completed work, only to have the New York Republican refuse to pay for services rendered.

USA Today reported, “The actions in total paint a portrait of Trump’s sprawling organization frequently failing to pay small businesses and individuals, then sometimes tying them up in court and other negotiations for years. In some cases, the Trump teams financially overpower and outlast much smaller opponents, draining their resources. Some just give up the fight, or settle for less; some have ended up in bankruptcy or out of business altogether.”

Soon after, the Wall Street Journal published a related report, documenting the same problem. In some instances, Trump-owned businesses felt they had leverage over small businesses, so when bills came, Trump’s enterprise would offer part of what was owed – take it or leave it – knowing that the small businesses couldn’t afford to get tied up in a lengthy court fight.

Though this angle to Trump’s record never seemed to capture the political world’s attention in earnest – some Trump critics started calling him “Deadbeat Donald,” though it never caught on – the stories continued to pile up. Remember the guy who sold Trump $100,000 worth of pianos?

The Republican candidate’s track record came up briefly in the first presidential debate between Trump and Hillary Clinton.

CLINTON: I have met a lot of the people who were stiffed by you and your businesses, Donald. I’ve met dishwashers, painters, architects, glass installers, marble installers, drapery installers, like my dad was, who you refused to pay when they finished the work that you asked them to do. We have an architect in the audience who designed one of your clubhouses at one of your golf courses. It’s a beautiful facility. It immediately was put to use. And you wouldn’t pay what the man needed to be paid, what he was charging you to do…

TRUMP: Maybe he didn’t do a good job and I was unsatisfied with his work…

CLINTON: Well, to…

TRUMP: Which our country should do, too.

CLINTON: Do the thousands of people that you have stiffed over the course of your business not deserve some kind of apology from someone who has taken their labor, taken the goods that they produced, and then refused to pay them?
Note that Trump was unapologetic about this, and said “our country should” behave as he has.

In other words, Trump’s pollster probably shouldn’t expect payment anytime soon, and if Trump is elected president next week, any number of others around the world should expect similar problems over the next four years.

Last edited:

Tranquility

When the Times stomps down Podesta's Hail Mary (https://twitter.com/johnpodesta?ref_src=twsrc^tfw), you know things are grim:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/us/politics/fbi-russia-election-donald-trump.html

In classified sessions in August and September, intelligence officials also briefed congressional leaders on the possibility of financial ties between Russians and people connected to Mr. Trump. They focused particular attention on what cyberexperts said appeared to be a mysterious computer back channel between the Trump Organization and the Alfa Bank, which is one of Russia’s biggest banks and whose owners have longstanding ties to Mr. Putin.

F.B.I. officials spent weeks examining computer data showing an odd stream of activity to a Trump Organization server and Alfa Bank. Computer logs obtained by The New York Times show that two servers at Alfa Bank sent more than 2,700 “look-up” messages — a first step for one system’s computers to talk to another — to a Trump-connected server beginning in the spring. But the F.B.I. ultimately concluded that there could be an innocuous explanation, like a marketing email or spam, for the computer contacts.​

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
How to Identify and Combat Dangerous Speech
by Nancy LeTourneau
November 1, 2016 2:58 PM

After spending time as a foreign correspondent in Latin America and doing international work as a lawyer in the aftermath of violent conflicts in Yugoslavia and Rwanda, American University law professor and Harvard University faculty associate Susan Benesch decided to study how dangerous speech could incite mass violence.

She wanted to figure out whether someone could identify the kind of rhetoric that brought about social conflicts, and then whether someone could interfere with it without suppressing freedom of speech.​

It is important to keep in mind that Benecsh draws a distinction between “hate speech” and “dangerous speech.” She has identified a framework to capture the latter in which at least two of these five indicators must be true:

* A powerful speaker with a high degree of influence over the audience.

* The audience has grievances and fears that the speaker can cultivate.

* A speech act that is clearly understood as a call to violence.

* A social or historical context that is propitious for violence, for any of a variety of reasons, including long-standing competition between groups for resources, lack of efforts to solve grievances or previous episodes of violence.

* A means of dissemination that is influential in itself, for example because it is the sole or primary source of news for the relevant audience.​

Of course this work is now especially pertinent in the United States with the elevation of Donald Trump as the Republican presidential nominee. But Benesch qualifies what she sees in this context.

“Trump may well be undermining the extent to which his supporters trust the essential institutions and practices of U.S. democracy,” Benesch said. “Some of them — those who are most susceptible to being inflamed by such messages — may therefore be more likely to commit violence. However, the United States is not in danger of mass intergroup violence, in my view. It is deeply irresponsible, though, since it can undermine some Americans’ belief in our own democratic institutions, which can make them more susceptible to dangerous speech going forward.”​

What I find most interesting are the conclusions she has reached so far and the possibility of what she’ll learn going forward.

“I’ve learned a few specific things about humanity,” Benesch said. “First, people do not hate spontaneously. No one is born hating, or wanting to see or do violence. Also, no particular group — religious, ethnic, cultural or national — has a monopoly on dangerous speech. It isn’t that there is something wrong with one group or another, as some have alleged. All people are capable of producing and being influenced by dangerous speech. I see that as an opportunity.”…

She is continuing to study how to effectively respond to dangerous speech. Right now, she’s looking at the impact that shaming the speakers or using humor to minimize them may have.​

Both shaming and humor are ways to belittle the importance of the person engaging in dangerous speech and marginalize them in the eyes of their audience. Michelle Obama demonstrated on a couple of occasions how to very effectively employ the shaming response to Donald Trump. Beyond the way she called out his failings as a mother who was scolding a child, she wouldn’t even say his name. On the humor side, it has been difficult for political figures to employ that technique given the danger a Trump presidency would pose to the country. But time and again our prophetic comedians has stepped up to the plate and done a magnificent job.

Perhaps one of the reasons Benesch doesn’t think that the United States is in danger of mass intergroup violence – even with a figure like Donald Trump in the spotlight – is because we have these powerful antibodies in place to dull his impact. If that is true, it’s certainly something worth noticing and celebrating.

cybrguy,

Tranquility

It seems the Democrats don't have a giant meteor in their quiver.

Why they need one:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ally-one-Clinton-s-inner-circle-families.html

The extent to which Hillary Clinton's key advisers are now the focus of major FBI investigations is becoming clear.

The Clintons' long-term inner-circle - some of whom stretch back in service to the very first days of Bill's White House - are being examined in at least five separate investigations.

The scale of the FBI's interest in some of America's most powerful political fixers - one of them a sitting governor - underlines just how difficult it will be for Clinton to shake off the taint of scandal if she enters the White House.

There are, in fact, not one but five separate FBI investigations which involve members of Clinton's inner circle or their closest relatives - the people at the center of what has come to be known as Clintonworld.

The five known investigations are into: Anthony Weiner, Huma Abedin's estranged husband sexting a 15-year-old; the handling of classified material by Clinton and her staff on her private email server; questions over whether the Clinton Foundation was used as a front for influence-peddling; whether the Virginia governor broke laws about foreign donations; and whether Hillary's campaign chairman's brother did the same.
Nothing else is sticking, why not go with the only thing left?
http://time.com/4551711/hillary-clinton-emailgate/?xid=homepage

I am mad. I am mad because I am scared. And if you are a woman, you should be, too. Emailgate is a bitch hunt, but the target is not Hillary Clinton. It’s us.

The only reason the whole email flap has legs is because the candidate is female.​

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
OK folks. We have finally reached the point where the Republican party has shown that electing republicans means ending government, not only as we know it, but as it has ever been in this country. Republicans are showing themselves literally unfit to lead.

A third GOP senator backs an indefinite Supreme Court blockade
11/01/16 12:45 PM

By Steve Benen
Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R) recently spoke to a Republican audience in North Carolina, where he unwisely told a joke about shooting Hillary Clinton. The GOP senator, in a tough re-election fight, apologized for his “inappropriate” humor after a recording of his comments surfaced.

What Burr did not apologize for was a comment about his plans for the Supreme Court.

“If Hillary becomes president, I’m going to do everything I can do to make sure that four years from now, we’re still going to have an opening on the Supreme Court,” he said.

Burr’s position matches that of U.S. Sen. John McCain, who recently said Republicans will block anyone Clinton might nominate to the Supreme Court.
It does, indeed. Two weeks ago, McCain was accidentally candid about his party’s plans for the high court, declaring on a radio show, “I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up. I promise you.”

As we discussed, what McCain was describing, of course, was a continuation of a Republican blockade, unprecedented in American history, blocking any high-court nominee from a Democratic president, regardless of merit. A controversy ensued and McCain walked back his emphatic “promise.”

But the following week, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) weighed in, effectively endorsing the same idea, telling reporters there’s a “long historical precedent” for a Supreme Court with fewer than nine justices. The right-wing senator added that he and his colleagues will have to “debate” whether or not they meet their constitutional obligations in the event of a Democratic victory.

After McCain’s comments, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) conceded that Republicans “can’t just simply stonewall” any Democratic nominee, just because he or she is a Democratic nominee. Now we have some GOP senators effectively saying, “Well, maybe we can.”

Indeed, by some measures, Burr was even more blunt on the subject than Cruz – while the Texan was cagey about his specific intentions, the North Carolinian was unambiguous about keeping a Supreme Court vacancy in place unless voters elect a president of his own party.

As New York’s Jon Chait added, this isn’t limited to Capitol Hill: a variety of far-right scholars and writers have joined the crusade, beginning “the arduous intellectual work of discovering why the Constitution demands that Clinton be denied a ninth justice.”

We can go one step further with this. Presumably, in the event of a Clinton victory, should any other justices leave the high-court bench for any reason, Senate Republicans and their allies would argue that those vacancies must also remain in place, indefinitely, because only Republican presidents should be allowed to successfully nominate future justices.

Circling back to our previous coverage, keep in mind that since February, GOP senators have repeatedly argued that the next president, not President Obama, must have the opportunity to fill Supreme Court vacancies – because they say so. Now, however, there’s a trio of Republicans who seem to be suggesting, “Maybe the president after the next one can handle this.”

The radicalism of such a posture is hard to overstate. For generations, the governing model, as outlined by the Constitution, was quite straightforward: a president sends a Supreme Court nominee to the Senate, senators consider the nominee, the nominee receives a vote. If confirmed, the justice heads to the bench; if not, it’s up to the president to select someone new.

What Burr, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and others on the far-right are suggesting is that there’s no reason to honor this model. Republicans can not only ignore their duties in 2016, the argument goes, they can continue to impose a judicial blockade until Americans choose a president GOP senators find satisfactory.

In other words, under the vision Burr prefers, the Supreme Court may continue with eight justices – or perhaps even fewer – until 2021, at a minimum, simply because Republican politics have reached a point of “unprecedented maximalism.”

As we’ve discussed, it’s part of a philosophy that says a Democratic president is, by definition, an illegitimate president. Advise and consent is a nice principle in our system of government, but it’s not nearly as important as raw, scorched-earth, partisan politics.

This is a recipe for a constitutional crisis.

Tranquility

Well, I am not voting. I feel a little more clean that I can say that I did not vote for Hillary or Trump this go around. My state is solidly in Trump's pocket and a vote for Hillary is equivalent to a fart in the wind now.

I'm now a 'Carlinesque' spectator of the greatest circus on earth. Gee, I wonder who will win?

:popcorn:
374d689aae4e7d62eb7da73251e387df.jpg

grokit

well-worn member
I just early voted. I couldn't quite stand the stench of the lesser of two devils either, so I voted a mixed ticket: a democrat for senate and local, a republican for the house, and I wrote in an independent for the executive branch as planned. I even brought the bar recommendations for retaining which judges.

I wish I could have registered a vote against the drumpfster, as my state may be in play.

But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Guess which independent I wrote in...

:myday: :tup::myday: :tup::myday:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Donald Trump’s KKK stamp of approval: The Klan gives a de facto endorsement to the Trump campaign on the front page of its newspaper
The Klan's paper was effusive about "Make America Great Again," as a hopeful return to "a White Christian Republic"

Donald Trump (Credit: AP/Chris Carlson/John Bazemore/Photo montage by Salon)
The Republican Party is the United States’ largest de facto white identity organization. Its primary electoral strategy for the last 50 years has consisted of using a combination of overt white racism and subtle “dog whistles” to win white voters.

New research by political scientist Michael Tesler shows the power of this strategy: “Old-fashioned” overt racism now predicts if a given white voter will support the Republican Party. Public opinion polling data from Reuters/Ipsos has revealed that Trump’s supporters are more likely than other Republican voters to believe that black people are more “criminal,” “unintelligent,” “lazy” and “violent” than white people. Demographics are important here as well: The Republican Party’s base is about 90 percent white while the Democratic Party’s constituency is multiracial and multigenerational.

Donald Trump is the current standard bearer for the Republican Party and a political moment when conservatism and racism are now fully and nakedly one and the same thing. This is why white nationalists such as David Duke — as well as the other bigots and hatemongers who constitute the so-called alt right — have flocked to Trump’s candidacy and embraced him as their champion and delivery system for mainstreaming their regressive white supremacist beliefs into the American body politic.

Moreover, this is not a claim that Trump is guilty by mere association or endorsement. Trump’s proposed policies are racist and nativist: He has suggested that Hispanic and Latino “illegal” immigrants are running amok in the street while they kill and rape white people. He believes that African-Americans in the age of Obama live in a dystopic hell worse than slavery and Jim and Jane Crow. And in violation of the Constitution he wants to ban Muslims from the United States while placing the ones already here on an enemies’ list.

Trump’s son as well as other political advisers have used social media to circulate white supremacist propaganda and talking points. Trump’s inner circle also has connections to white supremacist and white nationalist organizations.

What follows then is not at all surprising.

CarolKing,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

grokit

well-worn member
:uhh: "Wall street is already starting to panic"

edit/bonus: FF/drag to @29:04 (can't embed with start time),
for a hilarious dj-style mashup of both candidates at the end of a news mashup :lol:
:mental: fair warning it's a bit biased

:myday:

Last edited:

His_Highness

Well.....I live in a battleground state so I can't/won't take the cowards way out on Nov. 8th. Yes...with one hand I will pull the lever for HRC and with the other I will hold my nose. Not sure whether I will be able to keep my lunch from appearing before me though.

To each his/her own....As I said recently....I'm voting for the candidate whose promises I like the best and then I'll patiently wait for the promises to be broken or at least bent beyond recognition.

Tranquility

http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/02/l...ys-hitler-in-fire-and-brimstone-sermon-video/

“My dear brothers and sisters, this is serious,” Farrakhan told his congregation. “Her husband and Joe Biden were the authors of the crime bill that put tens of thousands of black brothers and sisters in prison.”

“Mrs. Clinton backed the crime bill and then called our young people super predators. Of course she apologized, but just a minute. See Hitler could’ve said to the Jews after Auschwitz, ‘I’m so sorry.’ Would that be enough to satisfy you?”

“Look at this award that she got,” he continued. “In 2009 Hillary Clinton received the Margaret Sanger Award from Planned Parenthood. It was Mrs. Sanger who advocated population control of black and poor people.”

“In a 1939 letter, Sanger wrote about getting the black preachers to help with her efforts. She said, ‘we don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population.’ … And when Mrs. Clinton received the award, [she said] I admire Margaret Sanger enormously. Her courage. Her tenacity. Her vision.’ Now they have to admit that the war on drugs was a war on black people.”​

His_Highness

@OldNewbie - I believe that Sanger made that statement in the context of wanting black doctors and ministers to be informed and educated about birth control because if it were just white doctors and white ministers it may be misconstrued as an attempt to exterminate the Negro population.

Anyone know who Farrakhan is politicking for/backing?
EDIT: I found all the answers I needed for myself and my response is.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!

Here's the answer:
Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan praised Republican front-runner Donald Trump for refusing donations from Jewish groups.

Trump “is the only member who has stood in front of the Jewish community and said 'I don’t want your money,'” Farrakhan said in a sermon he delivered this week. “Any time a man can say to those who control the politics of America, ‘I don’t want your money,’ that means you can’t control me. And they can’t afford to give up control of the presidents of the United States.”

Despite his commendation for the billionaire businessman, Farrakhan did not endorse him. “Not that I’m for Mr. Trump,” he added, “but I like what I’m looking at.”

Farrakhan also called Jews the "Synagogue of Satan," according to the Anti-Defamation League, which monitors anti-Semitic statements.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Three Women Have Shown Us How to Deal With a Bully Like Trump
by Nancy LeTourneau
November 2, 2016 10:01 AM

Whether you support him or think that he is unfit for office, no one will dispute that Donald Trump is a bully. Over the course of this election, Josh Marshall has honed in on this.

Trump lives in a psychic economy of aggression and domination. There are dominators and the dominated. No in between. Every attack he receives, every ego injury must be answered, rebalanced with some new aggression to reassert dominance. These efforts are often wildly self-destructive.​

Over the course of the Republican primary we watched a whole series of men fail in response to Trump’s bullying. That is because, for the most part, they attempted to play this game on his turf. When Trump used aggression to dominate, they tried to up the ante on him. But after years of this as a way of life, Trump excels at being a bully. Candidates like Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio simply emasculated themselves in their attempts to don the bully persona and even a well-known aggressor like Chris Christie couldn’t outshine Trump on his own turf.

Perhaps that is why, during the general election, it has been up to women to show us how to deal with a bully like Trump. His opponent in this race, Hillary Clinton, has been an expert in showing how that’s done. Meeting a bully face-to-face in something like a debate is the most obvious challenge. In the three times we watched Clinton do that, she never took the bait to sink to his level. Most notably, she did that in the 2nd debate that was in the town hall format. Trump tried to intimidate her, not only with words, but with his physical presence. He literally stalked her around the stage. She never flinched. Instead, here is how Michael Cohen described her performance:

And yet, somehow, Hillary Clinton maintained her composure. She didn’t get angry; she didn’t get petulant; she didn’t give Trump a richly deserved slap in the face. Amazingly, she answered all the questions posed to her with a combination of wonkiness, empathy, and grace. She largely ignored Trump’s constant lies and somehow stuck to her game plan of not engaging with his bullying. Lost in the coverage of Trump’s crudeness, ignorance, and classless behavior, was Clinton’s debate performance — one of the most extraordinary in modern political history.​

As a result, Clinton’s standing in the polls soared. In other words, she showed the American public how a responsible adult responds to bullying. THAT is presidential.

Over the course of this election I have become a huge fan of Samantha Bee. She is the second woman who has shown us how to deal with a bully like Trump…with humor. Many of her segments stand out – like this one after the third debate where the topic was abortion. But this week she also took on Trump and the alt-right.

Commenting on the way that humor works is the fastest way to make it unfunny. Suffice it to say that Samantha has helped us all maintain our sanity by exposing the insanity and making fun of it.

But of course the woman who surprised a lot of people with her extremely effective response to Donald Trump has been First Lady Michelle Obama. She laid out her approach in her speech at the DNC.

That is what Barack and I think about every day as we try to guide and protect our girls through the challenges of this unusual life in the spotlight — how we urge them to ignore those who question their father’s citizenship or faith. How we insist that the hateful language they hear from public figures on TV does not represent the true spirit of this country. How we explain that when someone is cruel, or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level -– no, our motto is, when they go low, we go high.​

But it was in her speech in New Hampshire after the release of the Access Hollywood tapes of Trump bragging about his ability to commit sexual assault that she showed us how that’s done. First of all, she allowed us to expose the vulnerability of how someone like Donald Trump is hurtful. That takes courage! Then she donned her “mom pants” and scolded the man she refuses to name. Her basic message was, “come on America, you can do better.” And then she tapped into our aspirations about HOW to be better.

Because let’s be very clear: Strong men — men who are truly role models — don’t need to put down women to make themselves feel powerful. People who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together. And that is what we need in our next President. We need someone who is a uniting force in this country. We need someone who will heal the wounds that divide us, someone who truly cares about us and our children, someone with strength and compassion to lead this country forward.​

There are times when the feminist approach to patriarchy is to try to be more like men. And then, there are times when women show us how to do it better. That is what Hillary Clinton, Samantha Bee and Michelle Obama have done for us in this election where patriarchy is literally on the ballot.

Top Bottom