The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

TeeJay1952

@BD9 It seems that when their is a monetary punishment it becomes a "bean counter" decision on whether or not to follow Law. If mandatory 30 days for Execs willfully circumventing Federal Laws perhaps "A Change Is Going To Come." So much of our legal system is predicated on Fines, confiscation, Paid jailing, paid probation, Court Costs and don't forget to tip your waitress.:lol:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
What Vladimir Putin Learned From Roger Ailes
by Nancy LeTourneau
September 6, 2016 9:07 AM

A couple of weeks ago, Josh Marshall wrote about “how Russia’s new defense doctrine is like Fox News.” He pointed out that because of Russia’s economic weakness, they can’t engage in the world via military muscle and have, instead, focused on the asymmetric warfare of psy-ops and disruption campaigns.

As Neil MacFarquhar writes, this goes beyond the possible hacking of the server at the DNC that we heard so much about just before the Democratic Convention. He begins with an example about how Sweden was bombarded with “a flood of distorted and outright false information on social media” as the country was considering whether to enter into a military partnership with NATO. We also know that the same kind of campaign was launched in Britain to spread misinformation about membership in the EU. He points out that Russia uses both conventional media sources – Sputnik and RT – as well as covert channels that are hard to trace.

When it comes to covert channels, you’ll want to read this fascinating piece by Adrian Chen titled simply, “The Agency” to get a picture of what is happening. Chen went to St. Petersburg, Russia to track down one of the locations that seemed to be the source of bizarre stories here in the U.S. about a non-existent Ebola outbreak and a refinery natural disaster. In the end, Chen’s digging into this story wound up leading to him being an actual target of a misinformation campaign.

You may wonder why Russia would want to spread false stories about things like an Ebola outbreak in the U.S. MacFarquhar explains the goal.

The fundamental purpose of dezinformatsiya, or Russian disinformation, experts said, is to undermine the official version of events — even the very idea that there is a true version of events — and foster a kind of policy paralysis…

“The dynamic is always the same: It originates somewhere in Russia, on Russia state media sites, or different websites or somewhere in that kind of context,” said Anders Lindberg, a Swedish journalist and lawyer.

“Then the fake document becomes the source of a news story distributed on far-left or far-right-wing websites,” he said. “Those who rely on those sites for news link to the story, and it spreads. Nobody can say where they come from, but they end up as key issues in a security policy decision.”

Although the topics may vary, the goal is the same, Mr. Lindberg and others suggested. “What the Russians are doing is building narratives; they are not building facts,” he said. “The underlying narrative is, ‘Don’t trust anyone.’”​

While Josh Marshall’s piece about all this focused on similar motives for that led to the formation of Fox News and Russia’s disruption efforts, this is what struck me about the similarities. The focus is not on facts, but on building a narrative of distrust – especially in the media. Let’s take a look at how they do that. Here is an example of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange being interviewed on RT:

I noticed that one because it was shared on Facebook by someone who is a huge Trump supporter. It’s been interesting to note how many times he shares stories that either originate at RT and/or have clear Russian points of view.

If you watch that video you’ll see Assange creating a whole false narrative about why Hillary Clinton chose Tim Kaine (rather than Bernie Sanders) as her VP running mate. He has a few actual events that he spins into a story that has absolutely zero factual basis. I could do the same thing and suggest (as I’ve seen some actually do) that Assange recruited Edward Snowden to steal secrets from the NSA which were then passed on to China and Russia. In doing so, I could spin a few real events into an explosive story of subterfuge without any actual facts to back it up.

This is the more nefarious side of the “merchants of doubt” that we’re seeing so much of in the media these days. In too many places it has gone from being a Fox News phenomenon to standard practice. All one has to do is tell a explosive story that is wrapped around some actual events and claim that you are simply concerned about the questions that are raised or the “appearance of corruption.” Facts that prove/disprove the narrative are unnecessary. It is very reminiscent of how Heather Digby Parton described the efforts of the group Citizens United.

Citizens United became a clearinghouse for all this shady material, alternating between spoon feeding enticing tidbits to the press and dumping vast amounts of incomprehensible material that sounded bad but ended up being misleading at best when the facts were untangled. This was the essence of ’90s-style “smell test” politics in which many people observed the sheer volume of complicated accusations, threw up their hands and assumed that where there’s this much smoke there must be a fire somewhere.​

This is precisely why, over the weekend, Paul Krugman wrote that Hillary Clinton is getting “Gored.” The difference this time is that it is not just Fox News and right wing media that is priming the pump. They now have a partner in Vladimir Putin. If you doubt that, take a look at what Adrian Chen said about what is happening with the social media accounts he’s been tracking for a while now that led to his original story:

Ben Taub @bentaub91

And on his @longform podcast, Chen noted that some of these troll accounts were now posing as pro-Trump Americans: https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/757413431263780864 …

Follow
Ben Taub @bentaub91

Here's the relevant piece of transcript, from 2015: https://longform.org/posts/longform-podcast-171-adrian-chen … pic.twitter.com/wXh3Hunx1I

11:06 PM - 24 Jul 2016
CoLroOwWYAA6Wbu.jpg:small

Because we value freedom of speech and the press, there is no acceptable way to stop this sort of thing from happening. The best defense is to always look for and demand the facts before buying into a narrative. That’s exactly what we’ve been trying to provide here at the Washington Monthly…and will continue to bring to the table.

cybrguy,
Reactions: ReggieB

ReggieB

It's been happening for some time, the unfortunate part about it is that 'real' americans/british pick up these stories and run with them as fact, purely because it supports their narrative.

I think that's the big driver here, the conspiracy theories that end up being pushed as fact, purely because there are people that believe the theory in the first place. I have friends that use RT as a news source and they look at me like I'm the mentalist when I tell them to feck off for believing propaganda sites like that.

the problem that a lot of people have is they don't look any further than the information being presented to them, they can't fathom that it's equally important in knowing about who is telling you the information and in what way on top of the words they're using, even on your most favourite, trusted news sources.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Hillary Clinton’s Big Strength and Big Weakness
by Martin Longman
September 6, 2016 10:18 AM

As a Pennsylvanian, I remember being a little perplexed about how much effort John McCain and Sarah Palin were making to win my state in 2008, but I didn’t know or had perhaps forgotten how big that effort actually was. According to Prof. Terry Madonna of Franklin & Marshall College (he’s our state’s Charlie Cook or Nate Silver), Pennsylvania came in second in advertising money spent (behind Florida and ahead of Ohio) and came in third in post-Labor Day election events.

Four years later, Romney and Ryan concluded early on that Ohio was the better investment. But once they determined that Ohio was out of reach (don’t tell Karl Rove), they made a late push to make Pennsylvania competitive.

But in 2012, the strategy of the candidates changed. Pennsylvania was virtually ignored by the presidential campaigns. Mitt Romney only decided to make a push in the Keystone State after he reached the conclusion that he could not win Ohio. So, for the last two weeks of the campaign Romney and Barack Obama spent some time and some money in the state, with about $30 million in television advertising.​

Of course, by Election Night, the Romney campaign had somehow convinced themselves that the polls were skewed and that they would win Ohio and the election, but their post-Labor Day shift to Pennsylvania shows that they were more rational about their Ohio prospects in the weeks leading up to the election.

As Madonna goes over the latest polling results from Franklin & Marshall, there is not much to surprise a seasoned observer of the Keystone State’s politics. The Democrat holds a seven point lead, outside of the margin of error, and her support is centered in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and the Philly suburbs. The most significant finding in the sense that it represents a change from precedent is that Clinton is winning with college-educated white women. This isn’t in the least surprising to me as I live in the suburban collar around Philadelphia and I don’t think I know any college-educated white women among my friends, associates, teachers, medical professionals, folks in the pharmaceutical industry, who would even consider voting for Trump. It’s a finding anecdotally confirmed by Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale:

[Trump’s troubles] are most acute in manicured oases like Montgomery County’s affluent Blue Bell, 40 minutes north of Philadelphia. A summer day spent talking to 37 women at McCaffrey’s Food Market, a store offering artisan pizza and custom cakes, corroborated the basic finding of data from Pennsylvania to Virginia to Colorado: Trump is staring at a suburban whupping.​

Mr. Dale had no difficulty finding Republican women who are not going to be voting for Trump, which lines up with what I’ve observed. John McCain and Mitt Romney had a lot more visible support around here (from signs to just people talking) than Trump does. And women, in particular, won’t even consider his candidacy.

These articles are cropping up all over the country in both local and national newspapers. You can read headlines like White Women in Charlotte Suburbs Were Reliably Republican. Then Came Trump. in the Charlotte Observer.

Or, you can see comments like this syndicated from the Los Angeles Times:

Whit Ayres, a Republican pollster who has spent decades surveying Southern voters and worked for Trump’s primary rival Marco Rubio, agreed. Particularly worrisome, he said, is Trump’s lagging support among college-educated white voters — especially women — who abound in the sprawling suburbs ringing Atlanta.

“A normal Republican nominee,” Ayres said, “would be comfortably ahead in Georgia.”​

The warning sign for Clinton, which also explains why the polls have been tightening, can be found here in the F&M polling:

Clinton does hold a sizable lead on the questions of who has the experience needed to be president (55 percent to 20 percent) and who is most prepared to handle foreign policy (55 percent to 25 percent).

On the other hand, Trump holds a narrow lead when voters were asked who is the most honest and trustworthy (33 percent to 27 percent) and who will change government policies in a way that makes your life better (38 percent to 34 percent).​

It’s frankly amazing that anyone not named Joe Isuzu could be trailing Donald Trump in the honest and trustworthy category, but Clinton is getting Swift-Boated pretty hard at the moment, this time by a lazy political press. It’s not that Clinton hasn’t at times legitimately damaged her reputation for candor and forthrightness in this campaign, but going back to the pre-primary days it has been widely noted that Trump lies constantly, to the point that Politifact felt to compelled to rate Trump’s “collective misstatements” their Lie of the Year for 2015.

PolitiFact checked 77 Trump statements and found that 76 percent of them were Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire.

In other words, for every four statements Donald Trump makes, only one of them is true, according to the site.​

As recently as yesterday, Trump refused to disavow his Birtherism, claiming that he simply doesn’t talk about it anymore.

Yet, somehow, Clinton, who has no equivalent fake moon-landing theories of her own, is the less-trusted candidate even in a state she’s carrying by seven points.

If she needs to fix anything or shore up any weaknesses, this is it.

It’s insane that she needs to do it, but this whole country is half-insane right now.

cybrguy,

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
HILLARY PAY TO PLAY /s

Hillary Surrogate Admits To Joy Reid: Hillary Did 'Pay-For-Play' /s

In what can only be described as an epic failure, a Hillary spokesperson first admits that Hillary participates in "Pay for Play" deals, but then tries to justify it because she is a private citizen and *everyone* does it.

Clearly, Senator Elizabeth Warren has no idea that donating money (paying off) officials to get favors or special access is patently illegal, for any citizen. Her spin comes so fast and so hard, you can see her eyeballs nearly roll back in her head as she tries to say that Hillary plans to end it.

Yes, you have to hear Senator Warrens gobbledygook for yourself:

WARREN: Hillary is a private citizen yes, she has admitted that to some degree there was pay to play that she tried to get access from politicians which, by the way, significant business people do all the time.

REID: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Senator, are you saying that significant business people regularly engage in pay to play and that that's okay because they're private citizens?

WARREN: No, it's not okay. It's not okay.

REID: You just said that she's a businesswoman and it's not okay.

WARREN: A voice at the table. And what she's saying is this. She wants to end that system. And she's going to do it. By the way, Hillary gave donations from her personal fortune that she made.

REID: No, from her foundation.

WARREN: She made a mistake in that case.

REID: She wrote it from the foundation. You're not an allowed to do that. You're saying that's all right.

WARREN: She said it was a mistake. Here's the

REID: She had to pay a fine because it's illegal.

WARREN: She said that was a mistake and she reimbursed her foundation and it was a tactical mistake. It wasn't a pay to play in that case.

REID: It was a pay to play. The AG didn't pursue an investigation into the Clinton Foundation.

WARREN: Hillary supports a lot of politicians.

REID: We've already had a New York Times investigation attempt to find any evidence that Hillary has given money out of her own money out of her own pocket to her Foundation to pay them back for the illegal activity. Her own checks don't get written somehow.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/09/trump-surrogate-admits-trumps-pay-play

HAHA. You wish the above article is true. There is one caveat.
It is about Drumpf and not Hillary.

NOTE:

The article is manipulated by me to make you think that Hillary is participating in pay to play.

I substituted Trumps name for Hillary's and Cortes's (ll Doooshy surrogate) name for Senator Warren to make a point.

So where is the outcry from the right over Trumps REAL pay to play. Guess only the fake issue of the Clinton Foundation is important.

And for the record the failed right leaning 4th estate has not even touched Drumpf's pay to play with Texas Mullah Greg Abbott.

Drumpf gave a $35,000 GIFT TO THEN TEXAS AG GREG ABBOTT FOR NOT INVESTIGATING TRUMP UNIVERSITY.

TRUMP QOUTES ABOUT HIS PAY TO PLAY:

Drumpf was asked about something he said in a previous interview: “When you give, they do whatever the hell you want them to do.”

“You’d better believe it,” Drumpf said. “If I ask them, if I need them, you know, most of the people on this stage I’ve given to, just so you understand, a lot of money.”

The only complaints came from two candidates who yelled that they had received no Drumpf money. As Drumpf continued to talk, he was interrupted by Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., complaining that Drumpf instead gave campaign contributions to Rubio’s Democratic opponent.

“I hope you will give to me,” said Gov. John Kasich of Ohio.

“Sounds good. Sounds good to me, governor,” said Drumpf.

Without missing a beat, the real estate tycoon continued: “I was a businessman. I give to everybody. When they call, I give. And you know what? When I need something from them, two years later, three years later, I call them, and they are there for me.”

This story has something that none of the Clinton Foundation stories have: Actual evidence of illegal conduct. In this case, not only is there concrete evidence that the Drumpf and his Foundation broke the law, but a formal finding of wrongdoing by the IRS.

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/03/tru...s_general_who_quietly_dropped_investigations/

Media mention comparison:
http://crooksandliars.com/files/images/16/09/1-kzgpnoaldih-hey-mplsuw.png

Last edited:

Silat

Rachael Maddow gives a powerful history lesson on hate speech, nationalism, secret societies, anti immigrant politics, during the 1850's amidst the collapse of the Whig party and the brief rise of the No Nothing Party, and eventually the modern Republican party. Then she ties it directly to Trump. Perfect!
The money line analogy comes at about 15:30, when she describe how Trump and what he represents as a weed that grew up when the Republican tree fell, that this weed is in our soil and we as a nation uproot it throughout history but it keeps coming back. I like the analogy of Trump as a weed.

Donald Trump Nativist Speech Follows Dark US Pattern | Rachel Maddow | MSNBC

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
What a shock that RT, Russia Today, thinks that the poor russians are being picked on. GMAFB :rofl:

cybrguy,
Reactions: ReggieB

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@ReggieB there is so much misinformation on the internet you need to really know the source that you are reading from. So tell your UK friends that. Don't believe everything you read on the net.

Anybody can post anything that they want.

Edit
I don't usually watch Fox News, I can't take it.

Unfortunately it looks like Trump is up in the polls. It's all this "I don't remember" stuff and all the emails dogging Hillary. Trump has Kelly Ann Conway as the Trump whisperer, trying to keep him in line. He is still talking circles about the immigration issue. Whether he would make people go back to their country of origin or not before they can get citizenship in the U.S. People are shaking their heads in confusion.

I don't understand Trump's stance on immigration. One day he is saying one thing, then changes his mind. His group of followers is really an unknown. I think it's hard to get accurate polls.

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
What a shock that RT, Russia Today, thinks that the poor russians are being picked on. GMAFB :rofl:
They make a big business out of 'you can't trust the Americans' - and damn us for playing into their hands.

Once upon a time, the wrong wing was more actually right than they are now - and they were rightly suspicious of state-run media from non-free states (that was back when slave-labor was a hideous evil of communist regimes, and not good business...) - unfortunately, we've now outsourced that to the private sector, so you can't really trust ANY of us on this side - because you never find out WHO is speaking...until after it's too late to discover you've been played again....

===
@ReggieB there is so much misinformation on the internet you need to really know the source that you are reading from. So tell are your UK friends that. Don't believe everything you read on the net.

First Principle of the net:
People can say any damn' fool thing they want to - and they will - and you can't stop it.

Silat

@ReggieB there is so much misinformation on the internet you need to really know the source that you are reading from. So tell are your UK friends that. Don't believe everything you read on the net.

Edit
I don't usually watch Fox News, I can't take it.

Unfortunately it looks like Trump is up in the polls. It's all this "I don't remember" stuff and all the emails dogging Hillary. Trump has Kelly Ann Conway as the Trump whisperer, trying to keep him in line. He is still talking circles about the immigration issue. Whether he would make people go back to their country of origin or not before they can get citizenship in the U.S. People are shaking their heads in confusion.

I don't understand Trump's stance on immigration. One day he is saying one thing, then changes his mind. His group of followers is really an unknown. I think it's hard to get accurate polls.

Those polls are taken during the holiday weekend and you can throw them out.
Here is the aggregate of almost 300 polls.
Drumpf is getting his ass kicked.
http://whichpolls.com/

lwien

I don't understand Trump's stance on immigration. One day he is saying one thing, then changes his mind.

I totally understand it. His constant changing and vagueness is done on purpose. What he is trying to do is broaden his base by a taking a softer stance while at the same time, trying not to lose his original base by taking a hard stance so he goes back in forth. For him, it's really his best strategy in regards to immigration. The latest polls show that he's doing great/growing with independents while not losing his base so it seems to be working for him.

CarolKing

Being Sued by Little Girls
By Claire LandsbaumShareTweetSharePin ItEmailCommentUSA Freedom Kids, a music group known for such memorable lyrics as “Cowardice, are you serious?” “Apologies for freedom — I can’t handle this!” “President Donald Trump knows how to make America great,” and “Deal from strength or get crushed every time,” have officially turned on their orange-haired benefactor. A performance at a Trump rally in Pensacola, Florida, launched the group into the public eye, but the group’s manager, Jeff Popick, is now suing the Trump campaign, claiming it reneged on a verbal agreement to pay for travel and expenses.

According to Popick, a field director for the Trump campaign said they weren’t able to pay the girls, but offered them a space to sell merchandise at the rally. Figuring they could make up the difference with T-shirt and CD sales, Popick agreed, but when he arrived at the rally no such space was available. Worse, after the girls performed, they returned to their car to discover all their merchandise had been stolen.

For any lesser group, that would’ve been it. But, encouraged by the promise of future gigs, the Freedom Kids agreed to appear at a Trump rally in Iowa — only to have the Trump campaign cancel on them after they’d flown cross-country. Then the campaign made them agree not to talk to the press, which was the last straw.

“This is not an opportunistic thing where we’re suing Donald Trump,” Popick told the Daily Beast. “We’re not suing for emotional distress and all that other stuff that people do when they trump up — no pun intended — when they trump up a lawsuit. That’s not what this is. This is tangible dollars I spent under false pretenses.” At least Trump is keeping the girls’ expectations realistic.

It would seem that the world has truly gone bonkers.. Watch on below as these “Freedom Girls” from Pensacola, Florida entertain Trump supporters in Pensacola, Florida on January 13, 2016

I saw this on Rachel Madow. Thought I'd look them up.

Donald Trump doesn't have much of an opinion on this new-fangled 'cyber' thing - The Washington Post
Washington Post › the-fix › 2016/09/06
4 hours ago - Michael Flynn, a Trump supporter — asked, according to a transcript from CBS News' Sopan Deb. ... He doesn't really answer the question of battling the Islamic State, instead talking about "cyber ...

He is absolutely a lunatic. A good article.
CK

Last edited:

Silat

Last edited by a moderator:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The Dallas Morning News is With Her
by Martin Longman
September 7, 2016 10:22 AM

I am not a connoisseur of the Dallas Morning News. In the internet age, I have read some of their articles from time to time, and I’ve mostly been impressed by the quality of their reporting. They run good features and there doesn’t seem to be much slant or bias. Their editorial page, however, hasn’t much caught my attention. But they say that they haven’t endorsed a Democrat for the presidency since “before World War Two,” which I take to mean 1940 at the latest. And there’s a reason for that:

The [Democratic] party’s over-reliance on government and regulation to remedy the country’s ills is at odds with our belief in private-sector ingenuity and innovation. Our values are more about individual liberty, free markets and a strong national defense.​

This might seem obvious, since Dallas is a traditionally conservative town and the Republicans are a conservative party, but remember that Texas voted for the Democrat in 1944, 1948, 1960, 1964, 1968, and 1976. The folks at the Dallas Morning News stuck with the Republican Party in good times and bad, when it was the consensus view of their readers and when it was a minority view in their community and state.

They were there in 1964 when their town was still in the shadow of Dealey Plaza and a Texan was on the Democratic ticket, and in 1996 when Bob Dole was getting thumped, and they were there when Barack Obama was being twice elected. They’ve been loyal soldiers for a very long time.

But, it’s over.

There is only one serious candidate on the presidential ballot in November. We recommend Hillary Clinton…

…Resume vs. resume, judgment vs. judgment, this election is no contest…

…After nearly four decades in the public spotlight, 25 of them on the national stage, Clinton is a known quantity. For all her warts, she is the candidate more likely to keep our nation safe, to protect American ideals and to work across the aisle to uphold the vital domestic institutions that rely on a competent, experienced president.

Hillary Clinton has spent years in the trenches doing the hard work needed to prepare herself to lead our nation. In this race, at this time, she deserves your vote.​

I’m sure they didn’t make this decision lightly, and they make sure to provide themselves some cover.

It’s no accident that hundreds of Republican foreign policy hands back Clinton. She also has the support of dozens of top advisers from previous Republican administrations, including Henry Paulson, John Negroponte, Richard Armitage and Brent Scowcroft. Also on this list is Jim Glassman, the founding executive director of the George W. Bush Institute in Dallas.​

I was a little surprised to see how aggressively they went after some of Clinton’s critics, calling them ‘hyenas.’

Clinton has remained dogged by questions about her honesty, her willingness to shade the truth. Her use of a private email server while secretary of state is a clear example of poor judgment. She should take additional steps to divorce allegations of influence peddling from the Clinton Foundation. And she must be more forthright with the public by holding news conferences, as opposed to relying on a shield of carefully scripted appearances and speeches.

Those are real shortcomings. But they pale in comparison to the litany of evils some opponents accuse her of. Treason? Murder? Her being cleared of crimes by investigation after investigation has no effect on these political hyenas; they refuse to see anything but conspiracies and cover-ups.​

In other words, this isn’t a begrudging endorsement. It’s much more full-throated than I would expect from a rock-ribbed Republican institution that has come to grips with the unacceptability of their party’s nominee. They even give Clinton’s props for her time in the Senate.

Though conservatives like to paint her as nakedly partisan, on Capitol Hill she gained respect from Republicans for working across the aisle: Two-thirds of her bills had GOP co-sponsors and included common ground with some of Congress’ most conservative lawmakers.​

Obviously, there’s another half of this endorsement I haven’t cited that details their reasons for rejecting Trump. They don’t go lightly on him, accusing him of exploiting “xenophobia, racism and misogyny” to bring out the worst in people, “an astounding absence of preparedness,” and “a dangerous lack of judgment and impulse control.” They also hit Trump for inexperience, for having no record of public service, a lack of seriousness, and an unwillingness to delve into issues.”

Strikingly, they don’t litigate what Trumpism means or would mean for the Republican Party, settling for a simple assertion that Trump’s “values are hostile to conservatism.”

So, what this endorsement really is is an explanation for why conservatives should prefer Clinton to Trump, and it’s not because they’ll get policies they enthusiastically support when proposed by Rick Perry or George W. Bush. It’s because “there is only one serious candidate on the presidential ballot in November.”

It’s actually about a refusal to demonize their opponent when their own champion is clearly a dangerous joke.

It’s a patriotic act to actually put your country first and not mince words about it. The Dallas Morning News hasn’t changed. They’re still at odds with the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton when it comes to their reliance on private-sector “ingenuity” to address all of our society’s ills. But, for their organization, some things are more important than policy differences.

Will this endorsement be more influential than most?

I think it will, because it comes from a source with a track record and credibility on the right.

And maybe it’s a leading indicator that Texas is turning purple faster than people think.

grokit

well-worn member
Killary needs a new message, because she's not getting any press. I believe that beneath all the bullshit, globalism/brexit is the driving dynamic behind this election. Put their personalities aside (please!), and what you have is a hyper-organized globally connected political player of the first degree, versus a shoot from the hip wannabe cowboy businessman that represents the logical conclusion of the reagan revolution that never trickled down. And the voting public is desperate enough to elect anybody that can fix things on day one, especially if he's the only one that can do so. Drumpf must be that guy, because he told us that he is.

:disgust::myday:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Why Trump focuses on corruption despite his many controversies
09/07/16 01:03 PM
By Steve Benen

In a speech this afternoon, Donald Trump accused Hillary Clinton of being “unstable” and “reckless.” By all appearances, he wasn’t trying to be ironic.

Indeed, projection at this point seems to be one of the foundations of Trump’s campaign pitch. When he’s accused of being overly cozy with Vladimir Putin government, the Republican accuses Hillary Clinton of being too friendly with Russia. When Trump is accused of racism, he calls Clinton a “bigot.” When the GOP nominee’s temperament is questioned, he lashes out at Clinton’s temperament.

Four years ago, we talked about Mitt Romney and Republicans playing a bizarre game of “I’m rubber and you’re glue,” but Trump is taking the same dynamic to strange, new levels.

Arguably the most striking aspect of this is Trump’s insistence on focusing on “corruption” as a central campaign theme, despite his unfortunate record of corruption. The New York Times reported today:

Mr. Trump’s payment of a $2,500 penalty to the Internal Revenue Service over [his improper campaign contribution to Florida’s Pam Bondi] amounted to only the latest slap of his wrist in a decades-long record of shattering political donation limits and circumventing the rules governing contributions and lobbying.

In the 1980s, Mr. Trump was compelled to testify under oath before New York State officials after he directed tens of thousands of dollars to the president of the New York City Council through myriad subsidiary companies to evade contribution limits. In the 1990s, the Federal Election Commission fined Mr. Trump for exceeding the annual limit on campaign contributions by $47,050, the largest violation in a single year. And in 2000, the New York State lobbying commission imposed a $250,000 fine for Mr. Trump’s failing to disclose the full extent of his lobbying of state legislators.
Writing in the Washington Post yesterday, Paul Waldman added, “[T]he truth is that you’d have to work incredibly hard to find a politician who has the kind of history of corruption, double-dealing, and fraud that Donald Trump has.” Waldman put together a list of 12 corruption-related controversies surrounding the Republican presidential hopeful, each of which include credible allegations of serious wrongdoing.

In July, New York’s Jon Chait added that Trump “may actually be the most corrupt presidential candidate ever.”

Trump’s entire business career reeks, beginning with his early associations with organized crime and proceeding through a career of swindling. “No other candidate for the White House this year has anything close to Trump’s record of repeated social and business dealings with mobsters, swindlers, and other crooks,” reports David Cay Johnston. Trump is not merely comfortable doing business with criminals and thugs – his habits of manipulating bankruptcy laws and swindling his partners have left him reliant upon, let us say, unconventional sources of investment, many of whom are the scum of the Earth.
It’s against this backdrop that Trump, without a hint of humor or shame, insists that Clinton is “Corrupt Hillary” – despite the fact that there’s no evidence of actual wrongdoing in any of the assorted “scandals” Clinton’s detractors have tried to pin on her.

Trump is confident he can pull this off because much of the media has already agreed upon the prisms through which the presidential campaign are seen: Trump is the demagogic racist who doesn’t understand government or public policy, while Clinton is seen as the dishonest one with ethics “issues.”

It led Waldman to conclude persuasively, “t means that to a great extent, for all the controversy he has caused and all the unflattering stories in the press about him, Trump is still being let off the hook.”

CarolKing

Did anybody watch the Commander In Chief Forum with Matt Lauer? It was on MSNBC Trump didn't come off as much of a commander in chief but we knew that already. i think he did a bit of a dive bomb IMO ha ha ha. Has a lot of bad stuff to say about our military. That won't go over very well, considering the venue.

You never know though. That area, there might be a bunch of Trumpsters. Those that would vote for him even if he killed somebody.

Trump did his best to not answer the questions that were asked of him. He was acting as if he had a real plan to get ISIS up his sleeve. He would listen to the military advisers and use the best plan if he likes them is what he said.

Oh and he would have taken the oil in Iraq. That way it wouldn't have been left for ISIS. That wasn't our oil in the first place to tske. It belonged to the Iraqi people.

Iraqi's military dropped their arms and didn't fight is one of the reasons also that things were a disaster after we left. We probablvly did leave too little of a force. We wanted out of there since we had been there so long. We had been training their military and helped to build up their arms. I think they possibly thought that they could fight their own battle at this point.

I don't know enough about it to know much of anything pertaining to the Middle East. Our country has war fatigue, that I do know. We were all for war after 911, then all our soldiers came back with broken bodies and minds. That we weren't prepared for. Plus all the dead soldiers. War is ugly. Easy to go to war, stopping a war is harder.

I personally would still like to see Trump's taxes even from past years. IMO it should be required. If you aren't willing to show your taxes don't run for prez.

I would like for Gary Johnson to be included with the debates. That would give the third party more of a chance. They have absolutely no chance unless he's include in the debates.

Last edited:

Silat

“[T]he truth is that you’d have to work incredibly hard to find a politician who has the kind of history of corruption, double-dealing, and fraud that Donald Drumpf has.”

The media could care less and the DOJ is not doing its job.

It is sometimes hard to see through all the "made up" stuff that right wingers lay on us here and in the media.
But here is a bit of news that will make your day. We have heard the right lie and spread disinformation about Hillary's email non-scandal on too many occasions in order to try and make something out of NOTHING.

Colin Powell lied...
"Colin Powell LIED about advising Hillary Clinton on her email server? Let me stop and put on my shocked face."

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/09/rep-cummings-releases-colin-powells-email

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolKing

This was interesting too from the MSNBC Commander In Chief Forum. This was from Reuters.

Donald Trump declared on Wednesday that Russia's Vladimir Putin had been a better leader than U.S. President Barack Obama, as the Republican presidential nominee used a televised forum to argue he was best equipped to reassert America's global leadership.

Trump suggested at the event in which he and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton made back-to-back appearances that U.S. generals had been stymied by the policies of Obama and Clinton, who served as the Democratic president's first secretary of state.

"I think under the leadership of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton the generals have been reduced to rubble. They have been reduced to a point that’s embarrassing for our country," Trump said at NBC's "Commander-in-Chief" forum in New York attended by military veterans.

CarolKing,
Reactions: Silat
Top Bottom