THCV

215z

I don't get the munchies on power plant, just like durban. Like many things drug related it could be placebo effect, my mind "knows" that PP is derived from highland african landrace, and maybe it just responds that way. This sample was tested as having 0.3% THCV. I don't know if that is a little or alot. I know I respond to small amounts of CBD, perhaps THCV sensitivity is similar.

Also, I personally believe that different people are wired to respond to different cannabinoids differently.

I also don't know if these plants will produce THCV when grown without the intense sunshine (or UV) of high altitude tropical mountaintops.

I grew up smoking landrace equatorial strains, because it was what I was able to get locally back then (~$100/kilo).

grokit

well-worn member
Also, I personally believe that different people are wired to respond to different cannabinoids differently.

I also don't know if these plants will produce THCV when grown without the intense sunshine (or UV) of high altitude tropical mountaintops.

There's such a huge variety of cannabinoids and their receptors in the human body that we are just starting to scratch the surface of knowledge about how they interact with each other, let alone how individual differences affect this relationship. I have a hunch that heredity comes into play here, like what local strains were popular with our neanderthal ancestors.

Your second point is covered by that post about uvb light and reptile bulbs, check the youtube :tup:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I've been asking myself another question around THCV in the past: my intuition tells me there is a correlation between strains having a reported high THCV production and strains having the "real amber" semi-legendary resin type (cf R.C.Clarke "Mj Botany") and I wonder if it's true.

I've never encountered any amber-type pheno so far, only clear-types. But the geographical areas where these amber-type landraces have been spotted seem to match the ones where plants with high THCV have been found.

It's not clear whether there really is a real amber-type (ie it would be a genetical trait), or if any plant grown under the proper conditions (ex: high altitude) might express real amber resin. Seeing some companies have successfully bred high THCV (or high CBD) plants, it might be genetic... if it's linked of course.

Interestingly in the Hindu Kush region, around Nepal and North India, plants are known to defy the indica/sativa pseudo-classification because the same seeds when grown at high altitude vs grown in the valley express completely different phenotypes, one sturdy with large leaflets and the other spindly with thin bladed leaflet and lots of strech.

PS: I'm talking about real amber resin type, not your average clear trichome turning cloudy then dark amber when overdone. The real amber starts transparent amber color.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Our rule is:
  • Topics concerning the cultivation of cannabis are not permitted.
I just removed 11 posts that were specifically about cultivation. Please do not discuss growing techniques.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Radio

cityslang

A taste on the tongue
Thcv from what I gather looks like shards of glass under magnification anyone confirm this.

E2a t

I think thcv is within any plants capability given the right hot and bright sunshine and generational change which. The cannabis plant is very adaptable and it does what it does best it adapts. A indica strain that over years heads from Afghanistan over many years by natural methods eventually makes its way to equatorial regions then within generations maybe as little as 10 the indica is now on the way to a Sativa producing thcv to protect itself from the sunshine. Give it more generations and it would be a Sativa that that is nothing like it's ancestor in Afghanistan plus over the journey it may also cross breed. Well that's my *limited* understanding of it.

Last edited:
cityslang,
Reactions: Radio

grokit

well-worn member
I've been asking myself another question around THCV in the past: my intuition tells me there is a correlation between strains having a reported high THCV production and strains having the "real amber" semi-legendary resin type (cf R.C.Clarke "Mj Botany") and I wonder if it's true.

I've never encountered any amber-type pheno so far, only clear-types. But the geographical areas where these amber-type landraces have been spotted seem to match the ones where plants with high THCV have been found.

It's not clear whether there really is a real amber-type (ie it would be a genetical trait), or if any plant grown under the proper conditions (ex: high altitude) might express real amber resin. Seeing some companies have successfully bred high THCV (or high CBD) plants, it might be genetic... if it's linked of course.

Interestingly in the Hindu Kush region, around Nepal and North India, plants are known to defy the indica/sativa pseudo-classification because the same seeds when grown at high altitude vs grown in the valley express completely different phenotypes, one sturdy with large leaflets and the other spindly with thin bladed leaflet and lots of strech.

PS: I'm talking about real amber resin type, not your average clear trichome turning cloudy then dark amber when overdone. The real amber starts transparent amber color.

I think that the amber thc/v resin could be a protective/adaptive reaction to the intense sun, like a suntan/darker skin would be for people in these types of regions.

cityslang

A taste on the tongue
Here's a article on GW Pharm with the biggest grow in Europe all hidden away in the UK.
http://www.truthonpot.com/2013/07/19/thcv-the-next-diabetes-drug-is-being-made-from-cannabis/
Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) is just one of over 60 chemicals found in cannabis, but its unique activity has led GW Pharmaceuticals to believe that THCV could be the future of diabetes therapy.

On Friday, the company – who also manufacturers the cannabis spray Sativex – told Bloombergabout their new drug, which showed promising results in a mid-stage clinical study, helping improve insulin production and lowering blood sugar levels, among other things, in patients with Type 2 diabetes. GW plans to publish the results later this year.

GW has been funding research on THCV since 2005 and has already filed a patent on its use in the protection of pancreatic islet cells, which are the cells that produce insulin. At least 50% of these cells are lost by the time Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed.
What makes this compound different from others found in marijuana is how it interacts with receptors in the human body. While THC activates cannabinoid receptors, THCV works in the opposite way by blocking receptors from being activated. Since most strains tend to have much higher levels of THC, the effects of THCV are usually not achieved by using cannabis in its natural form.

On the other hand, Roger Pertwee, a neuropharmacologist at Aberdeen University who conducted one of the first studies on THCV, told The Guardian that some strains can have high levels of this cannabinoid:

“There is a large amount of THCV in Pakistani cannabis, which is the one used to make a medicine called ‘tincture of cannabis’. That contained about equal amounts of THC and THCV.”
Earlier studies found that THCV could protect insulin-producing cells in animal models of diabetes, resulting in improvements in blood sugar and insulin levels. It was also believed that THCV could reduce appetite and weight gain, but later studies failed to confirm this.

Interestingly, THCV seems to have slightly different effects than Rimonabant – a synthetic compound that was marketed for the treatment of obesity before being pulled due to side effects of suicide and depression – despite the fact that both compounds work by blocking cannabinoid activity. What’s more, research on the role of cannabinoids in diabetes is conflicted, with some studies showing that THC and CBD may also offer benefits
GW’s research director Steven Wright, MD says a follow-up trial is planned for later this year with the hope of eventually getting approval on their new drug – temporarily known as GWP42004. Of course, GW is sure to come up with a more consumer friendly name for this cannabis-based pharmaceutical before it reaches the public.

Something along the line of Sativex might do. GW’s cannabis spray is quickly gaining worldwide recognition and – after being launched in Italy earlier this month – is now available in 21 different countries.

Top Bottom