THC + CBD Vaporization Study

Vinman

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered, since I can't search for CBD ("search keywords too short") in the forum.

There was a recent study at http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/2050-6511-15-58.pdf titled "A protocol for the delivery of cannabidiol (CBD) and combined CBD and Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) by vaporisation" which compared vaporization of varying strengths of THC and CBD, alone and together.

It found that the combination of THC and CBD reduced the vaporization amount of each, compared to vaporizing separately (there is a nice chart).

It also found that vaporized CBD produced visibly dense vapors compared to THC, and that attempting to vaporize excessive amounts of CBD at one time results in "excessive resinous residue" left behind. I use separate vaporizers for high-THC and high-CBD strains, and my experience is that the vaporizer using high-CBD strains requires more frequent cleaning.

In any event, it seems from this study, that high-THC strains should not be mixed with high-CBD strains for vaping in the same bowl. Instead, separate bowls should be used for high-THC or high-CBD strains, and the high-CBD strains should have as little THC as possible, if you want to maximize the intake from each. That means the CBD strain should not be 1:1, rather at least 20:1.

Of course, if you don't want to bother wasting a little, then it doesn't matter, but it's nice to see research being done in this area.

luchiano

I think one reason they came to their conclusion is because they started the session at 230 celcius, and used a volcano which brings in a lot of air. This will cause the vapor to become thick, and harder to absorb through the lungs for various reasons, especially when you use a lot in the bowl. This is what the study found. This is what some, such as myself, have been saying for years. With vaporizers, less is more.

CBD( 374 f) vaporizers before thc(392 f), so it would make sense that it would make more condensation, and cause less thc to be in vapor mode, since some of it would stick to the residue as it travels. I also think some of the thc oxidized into cbn which is why the amount of thc in the vapor was never the amount that was at the beginning of the session, while cbd was relatively the same.

I think if they start off with a much lower temperature, and then slowly raise the temperature, they will get a different outcome.

Great find, though!

Last edited:

randybishop

Thanks for this, I LOVE reading about cannabis and vaporization studies. Good stuff!

randybishop,

mikencolo

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered, since I can't search for CBD ("search keywords too short") in the forum.

There was a recent study at http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/2050-6511-15-58.pdf titled "A protocol for the delivery of cannabidiol (CBD) and combined CBD and Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) by vaporisation" which compared vaporization of varying strengths of THC and CBD, alone and together.

It found that the combination of THC and CBD reduced the vaporization amount of each, compared to vaporizing separately (there is a nice chart).

It also found that vaporized CBD produced visibly dense vapors compared to THC, and that attempting to vaporize excessive amounts of CBD at one time results in "excessive resinous residue" left behind. I use separate vaporizers for high-THC and high-CBD strains, and my experience is that the vaporizer using high-CBD strains requires more frequent cleaning.

In any event, it seems from this study, that high-THC strains should not be mixed with high-CBD strains for vaping in the same bowl. Instead, separate bowls should be used for high-THC or high-CBD strains, and the high-CBD strains should have as little THC as possible, if you want to maximize the intake from each. That means the CBD strain should not be 1:1, rather at least 20:1.

Of course, if you don't want to bother wasting a little, then it doesn't matter, but it's nice to see research being done in this area.

One of my doctors, Alan Shackelford the one who told me to vape so i'd benefit from the CBD...he has spent years working with his israeli and brit counterparts to study anything and everything to do with THC, CBN and of course CBD. you might try doing some searches online for him and his work or even contact his office via email. i say that as he travels a lot related to his research but he has always gotten back to me even if it takes him a bit longer.

just another resources. his clinic is called amarimed and as said just do a search to pull up his information if interested. as for me, i don't mix the two types ever as my needs vary daily and so too does my dosage. fyi for cbd herb i vape at 340F per docs instructions. as for cleanup i do it daily as it is so much easier than after a couple days of accumulated residue. have a good one!

Last edited:
mikencolo,
Reactions: Enchantre
Top Bottom