• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Terpenes

tiffa

Reading and skimming through various threads, I am concerned about my terpenes. From what I read previous to joining this forum, “terpenes are terpenes”. It doesn’t matter if they come naturally from cannabis or fruits (such as lemons). Various users on this forum seem to think otherwise.

Not to mention, some members here have mentioned that suppliers such as True Terpenes can be toxic (I.e. their terpenes are turpentine). This has greatly concerned me on many levels.

I’m using Harlequin from Terpene Botanicals, which are derived from natural fruits and plants rather than cannibas. The Terpene a-pinene is in there. I don’t want to be vaping TURPENTINE!

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

tiffa,

Tranquility

There is no way to answer your question as there are so many variables that you are not thinking of and that may affect other's opinions. For instance, let's assume "terpenes are terpenes" from a chemical stand point and strip all the "terpenes" from a THC extraction for concentrate and then add THE EXACT SAME ONES back in after processing. Will the extraction act the same as the original flower?

No. There are LOTS of components in the essential oils of which terpenes are but one.

Here, a study is putting together a database of volatiles from different plants. The components change depending on many plant factors and the database is designed to identify individual characteristics of a plant based on a sample of the volatile oils.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273207/

In the discussion, the theory of terpenes are terpenes is mentioned.
As an illustrative example, we have used EssOilDB to carry out an assessment of the relationship between terpene biosynthetic pathways and actual emission records. The biosynthesis of monoterpenes and diterpenes is conventionally believed to be compartmentalized in plastidial territory of the plant where the 2C-Methyl-D-erythritol 4-phosphate (MEP) pathway is known to be located. In contrast, sesquiterpenes and triterpenes are supposed to be synthesized in cytosol through classical mevalonic acid (MVA) pathway (27). This assumption is further supported by recent studies on promoter analysis in Arabidopsis thalianathat suggest an abundance of light and circadian clock related motifs in MEP pathway gene promoters reflecting higher expression of this pathway in green tissues as compared to MVA pathway (28). Spatiotemporal expression analysis of genes encoding farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase (FPPS), geranyl pyrophospate synthase (GPPS) and geranylgeranyl pyrophosphate synthase (GGPPS) in A. thaliana have also supported the fact that photosynthetic tissues have higher expression of AtGPPS and AtGGPPS genes;generally assumed to synthesize monoterpenes and diterpenes respectively. In contrast, the AtFPPS gene,which is responsible for the biosynthesis of sesquiterpenes, showed higher activity in roots and seeds as compared to above ground, green parts (28). We used EssOilDB to test this hypothesis and found that green parts of plants (that are likely to have a more active plastidial MEP pathway) do indeed show relatively greater amounts of released hemi, mono and diterpenes, as compared to sesquiterpenes. In contrast, the non-green plant parts, such as the underground regions and woody parts (signifying an absence of plastidial units and therefore a less active MEP pathway) release higher amounts of sesquiterpenes as compared to monoterpenes. This has been depicted in Figure 5A, with emission data records from green (plastidial) parts, leaves, fruits and flowers releasing a higher percentage of monoterpenes as compared to sesquiterpenes, whereas roots and bark or woody parts release more sesquiterpenes, thus significantly adding value to the hypothesis.
I hope that clears that up. :lol:

Edit:
https://mmjdoctoronline.com/health-news/adding-terpenes-to-concentrates-the-science-and-the-effects

Last edited:

tiffa

To be quite frank, that is Greek to me.

The reason I have to buy my terpene distillate is because currently, cannabis is illegal in Ohio. Instead, I’m using cbd isolate (powder), mixing and heating with PG, and then adding VG to make a vape. Then, adding a Terpene profile into the mix. I have had zero luck locating terpenes derived from cannabis online.

From what I was able to decipher from your response is that I should be using full spectrum with already existing terpenes that have not been extracted. There are products online that are full spectrum (and legal), but 1- I haven’t found a vape product that is full spectrum and 2- due to medical reasons, I want to choose my terpenes to suit my needs.

tiffa,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

To be quite frank, that is Greek to me.

The reason I have to buy my terpene distillate is because currently, cannabis is illegal in Ohio. Instead, I’m using cbd isolate (powder), mixing and heating with PG, and then adding VG to make a vape. Then, adding a Terpene profile into the mix. I have had zero luck locating terpenes derived from cannabis online.

From what I was able to decipher from your response is that I should be using full spectrum with already existing terpenes that have not been extracted. There are products online that are full spectrum (and legal), but 1- I haven’t found a vape product that is full spectrum and 2- due to medical reasons, I want to choose my terpenes to suit my needs.

Any reason you can't eat your cbd powder? You can buy gel caps, organic coconut oil and lecithin online from amazon. Then just warm the mix and fill caps. If your interested pm me for a recipe.

If you can combine canna caps with vaped herb you can get a wide range of medical benefits. In this scenario you'd get your terpenes from the herb. Maybe problematic in a non legal state.

Or move one state up :)

tiffa

Any reason you can't eat your cbd powder? You can buy gel caps, organic coconut oil and lecithin online from amazon. Then just warm the mix and fill caps. If your interested pm me for a recipe.

If you can combine canna caps with vaped herb you can get a wide range of medical benefits. In this scenario you'd get your terpenes from the herb. Maybe problematic in a non legal state.

Or move one state up :)

I prefer to vape; otherwise, I’d just buy the cbd capsules or use the cbd oil I already have to put into capsules.

As of now, the most cost effective is to dissolve the cbd isolate powder into pg and add vg for vaping, and some terpenes.

Good thing Ohio will be legal in September, pending the mmj card. They only allow oil, vape and edibles here, which is now what I’m accustomed to.

I assume they will have different strains available in vape oil in the dispensaries.

But this leads to my next inquiry: what vape tank to use on my current mod (I have a VooPoo Drag and an iStick Pico). I’m currently using a crown iii tank and a baby beast. The baby beast leaks like a mf and the crown iii is for my nico juice.

tiffa,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I would suggest a load as you go atomizer such as a W9 Alpha Centauri for vaporizing your CBD isolates in their standard form, instead of adding glycerin and glycol as diluents.

https://www.w9tech.com/vaporizers/omicron-oil-vaporizer-v5/

As far as reintroduced terpenes, many of the compounds instantly oxidize during the extraction process... bet you won't hear that one from the terp salesman.

crf312006-fig-0002.png

tiffa

I would suggest a load as you go atomizer such as a W9 Alpha Centauri for vaporizing your CBD isolates in their standard form, instead of adding glycerin and glycol as diluents.

https://www.w9tech.com/vaporizers/omicron-oil-vaporizer-v5/

As far as reintroduced terpenes, many of the compounds instantly oxidize during the extraction process... bet you won't hear that one from the terp salesman.

crf312006-fig-0002.png

I will have to use the reintroduced terpenes until my dispensaries are available, unless I get a cbd terpsolate (crums or crystals). I assume this will also work with the tank you suggested above. Sadly, I cannot find a terpsolate in the blend I want.

I assume full spectrum distillate from the dispensary will not oxidization/dilution?

tiffa,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I will have to use the reintroduced terpenes until my dispensaries are available, unless I get a cbd terpsolate (crums or crystals). I assume this will also work with the tank you suggested above. Sadly, I cannot find a terpsolate in the blend I want.

I assume full spectrum distillate from the dispensary will not oxidization/dilution?

I would stay far away from anyone claiming to have "full spectrum distillate"

tiffa

I would stay far away from anyone claiming to have "full spectrum distillate"

Ohhh, ok. I’m unsure what I’m looking for in the dispensaries as far as vape oil is concerned. I prefer low THC, high in cbd and terpenes. I am not very educated in this area as I’ve spent most of my time researching terpenes and cbd only.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Ohhh, ok. I’m unsure what I’m looking for in the dispensaries as far as vape oil is concerned. I prefer low THC, high in cbd and terpenes. I am not very educated in this area as I’ve spent most of my time researching terpenes and cbd only.

The closest thing you will find to a true "full spectrum" CBD would be dry sift, or rosin, or even the flower form of a strain like Harlequin or AC/DC, and so on. As far as "vape oil" much of it tends to be compromised, I'd exercise caution if that is to be your main form of medicating. Anything distilled is going to be a pretty narrow spectrum.

invertedisdead,

tiffa

The closest thing you will find to a true "full spectrum" CBD would be dry sift, or rosin, or even the flower form of a strain like Harlequin or AC/DC, and so on. As far as "vape oil" much of it tends to be compromised, I'd exercise caution if that is to be your main form of medicating. Anything distilled is going to be a pretty narrow spectrum.

Sadly, the flower will not be available in Ohio (per a dispensary). My friend currently uses the vape pens and agrees it’s not as great as the flower. Thanks, Ohio!!!

I’ve talked to friends who have been purchasing flowers for years in Ohio, and they say strain specific bud is difficult to come by. You take what strain you can get. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. It sucks being THC sensitive.

As for the vape - I was looking over it. Do I just put the powdered cbd isolate in and go, or do I mix a liquid? I’d still use the terpenes I have available to me at this time.

If I choose to vape using pg and VG (what I’m most familiar with), what tank would you recommend? It cannot have those rubber rings in it because they expand and cause leaking.

Thanks again!

EDIT - HERE IS THE CBD ISOLATE IVE GOT COMING MONDAY: https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/shop/isolates/cbd-isolate-terpene-infused/

Last edited:
tiffa,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Sadly, the flower will not be available in Ohio (per a dispensary). My friend currently uses the vape pens and agrees it’s not as great as the flower. Thanks, Ohio!!!

I’ve talked to friends who have been purchasing flowers for years in Ohio, and they say strain specific bud is difficult to come by. You take what strain you can get. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. It sucks being THC sensitive.

As for the vape - I was looking over it. Do I just put the powdered cbd isolate in and go, or do I mix a liquid? I’d still use the terpenes I have available to me at this time.

If I choose to vape using pg and VG (what I’m most familiar with), what tank would you recommend? It cannot have those rubber rings in it because they expand and cause leaking.

Thanks again!

EDIT - HERE IS THE CBD ISOLATE IVE GOT COMING MONDAY: https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/shop/isolates/cbd-isolate-terpene-infused/

Yep, just put in your isolate on the titanium coil and vape it. No additives necessary! You could dip the CBD in the terpenes, or add a drop on top of the coil etc.

Not sure about a tank, not my style of vaping. You can actually buy CBD isolate already infused with cannabis derived terpenes already in a prefilled cart which would be as simple as screwing onto a 510 threaded battery and pushing the button. Check out InfiniteCBD.com

invertedisdead,
Reactions: shredder
Top Bottom