Terpene questions

sickmanfraud

Does anyone know of a way to add terpenes to cannabis in a jar or grinder?

My dispensary (I am tied to them for another 6 months) has no indica cannabis this month so I have to take all sativa (THC and CBD strains).

On bad pain days, I can vape 1/2 to a gram of indica before I can fall asleep.

How can I add terpenes (Myrcene ?) to cannabis before I vape it?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

GoldenBud

I don't know about adding terpenes, And I'm sorry to hear that your dispensary hasn't any indica strain at this moment, but I can recommend you to buy Valerian Roots as a sleep helper. It used to help me fall asleep, I ordered from the iHerb store (US)

sickmanfraud

I don't know about adding terpenes, And I'm sorry to hear that your dispensary hasn't any indica strain at this moment, but I can recommend you to buy Valerian Roots as a sleep helper.

I tried Valerian root at least 15 years ago. It gave me the most foul taste in my mouth. I would burp valerian root all night. Is it perhaps more refined now?

Part of the sleep issue is chronic pain. If you vape "extra" indica you become more relaxed and more sleepy if you vape more sativa and you(me) become more awake, and in enough doses gives me anxiety which makes sleep almost impossible.

I have heard of adding terpenes to live rosin (not that I've ever tried it) to make vape juice.

sickmanfraud,
In the past, I did some experimenting with adding terps to flowers. I used a pipette similar to this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxford-Ben...hwAAOSwd4tTuwrZ:sc:USPSFirstClass!44313!US!-1

It measures liquid in uL. You don't want to vape a large concentration of terps. Especially, if the terps are pure. Pure terps are VERY concentrated. For example, a drop off of a standard eye dropper would be WAY too much.

I just placed a uL or 2 right on the flower and vaped it. Even at that low concentration, it was very undesirable for me. The taste was overwhelming.

I add terps to all my edibles for effect and it works great, However, adding terps to flower and then smoking or vaping it just didn't work out for me.

If you're having trouble sleeping, I might suggest some camomile tea before bed.

Good luck

GoldenBud

In the past, I did some experimenting with adding terps to flowers. I used a pipette similar to this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxford-Ben...hwAAOSwd4tTuwrZ:sc:USPSFirstClass!44313!US!-1

It measures liquid in uL. You don't want to vape a large concentration of terps. Especially, if the terps are pure. Pure terps are VERY concentrated. For example, a drop off of a standard eye dropper would be WAY too much.

I just placed a uL or 2 right on the flower and vaped it. Even at that low concentration, it was very undesirable for me. The taste was overwhelming.

I add terps to all my edibles for effect and it works great, However, adding terps to flower and then smoking or vaping it just didn't work out for me.

If you're having trouble sleeping, I might suggest some camomile tea before bed.

Good luck
Really liked your comment.
But 1 micro liter over which quantity?
He can mix 1 micro liter with 3g grinded.
I don't think it'll be too much, but what do you think?

sickmanfraud

Good luck

Thanks for your reply. Have you ever tried a drop on a cotton ball into a container of ground cannabis?

I don't know where to get a microliter system where I live although I would guess that my friend @GoldenBud may know.

I wonder if buying some cbd isolate infused with the terps you want and adding a little of that to the grinder with the sativas would work for you?

That would be a plan if I could get it here. I am also only getting Sativa CBD this month.

This is due to "reform" of the cannabis laws here.

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You just have to smell the terpenes to get the modulated effects, you don't have to actually vaporize them.
The terpenes have already reached your brain by the time you realize what you're smelling, that's how the olfactory system works.

Also based on my study of analytical testing, myrcene and d-limonene are already the most prevalent terpenes in cannabis.

You could eat a piece of mango/dried mango if you wanted to experiment further with myrcene without resorting to exogenous terpenes outside of their natural source.

GoldenBud

I'll send you a link to my favorite aliexpress/ebay link for a micropipette. It's how it works: you put the tube on the micropipette, push the button, but the releasing of this button should be a slowly releasing. if you release the button fast, you can ruin the micropipette. it's really easy actually.

I just put a uL or 2 on a small bud and vaped it. Maybe 2 or 3 hits. First hit is super strong of the selected terp.

Like ...dead said, up the nose is probably as or more efficient.

I also added terps to some rosin. I never found a happy place with the experiments that I did.

Hackerman,

GoldenBud

I just put a uL or 2 on a small bud and vaped it. Maybe 2 or 3 hits. First hit is super strong of the selected terp.

Like ...dead said, up the nose is probably as or more efficient.

I also added terps to some rosin. I never found a happy place with the experiments that I did.
2ul over 2g, grinded, will work?

GoldenBud,

Baron23

Well, I have not done this an am lucky to have a wide array of options in my med legal state.

But the issue of terpene toxicity is real, I believe. I did some reading on this quite some time ago and can't remember the details, but consuming pure terps in any qty is not good, I believe.

So, if you are going to try the micropipette, and they make simple glass ones also (no button or mechanism), may I suggest diluting the terp load in a small amount of distilled water and misting that over some qty of ground bud in order to try to manage to spread the small amount of terps evenly over the flower.

https://www.amazon.com/Pipettes-Pip...22011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:5484782011

Just a thought, is all.

Tranquility

One of my favorite cartridges is from Orchid and is a BHO with terp's added back by the...I don't see it on the website but there was some fancy title for guy-who-adds-back-terpenes. You can taste the additions, even through a cartridge vape. (They use nice hardware too.) It's expensive and I've found that the full experience they purportedly provide is not usually worth it to me. Price is my limit, not safety. (At least on regulated product.)

For those thinking safety:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130?rand=yveksesz
for the full report on .pdf.

or

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130
for the full report on webpage.

Abstract

Inhalable, noncombustible cannabis products are playing a central role in the expansion of the medical and recreational use of cannabis. In particular, the practice of “dabbing” with butane hash oil has emerged with great popularity in states that have legalized cannabis. Despite their growing popularity, the degradation product profiles of these new products have not been extensively investigated. The study herein focuses on the chemistry of myrcene and other common terpenes found in cannabis extracts. Methacrolein, benzene, and several other products of concern to human health were formed under the conditions that simulated real-world dabbing. The terpene degradation products observed are consistent with those reported in the atmospheric chemistry literature.

Tranquility,
2ul over 2g, grinded, will work?

Yes, but I agree with this...

Well, I have not done this an am lucky to have a wide array of options in my med legal state.

But the issue of terpene toxicity is real, I believe. I did some reading on this quite some time ago and can't remember the details, but consuming pure terps in any qty is not good, I believe.

So, if you are going to try the micropipette, and they make simple glass ones also (no button or mechanism), may I suggest diluting the terp load in a small amount of distilled water and misting that over some qty of ground bud in order to try to manage to spread the small amount of terps evenly over the flower.

https://www.amazon.com/Pipettes-Pipettors-Borosilicate-Glass/s?rh=n:318122011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:5484782011

Just a thought, is all.

Straight terps are definitely dangerous. That's one reason why all I did was experiment. I don't believe I would ever vape added terps on a regular basis.

I feel the same way about carts. Given the scandal with True Terpenes selling mineral oil as terpenes for dilutant. And, all the people dropping like flies all over the country from vaping carts. You just don't know what you're getting any more.

I'll bet after you try it a couple times, you won't like it. I even vaped straight terps in a quartz nail a few times. Wow. LOL

Grow your own. Press rosin. Vape flowers. Breathe easy. ;)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
One of my favorite cartridges is from Orchid and is a BHO with terp's added back by the...I don't see it on the website but there was some fancy title for guy-who-adds-back-terpenes. You can taste the additions, even through a cartridge vape. (They use nice hardware too.) It's expensive and I've found that the full experience they purportedly provide is not usually worth it to me. Price is my limit, not safety. (At least on regulated product.)

Orchid Essentials adds botanical terpenes to their BHO extracted high terpene extract to meet their ~15% terpene standards in their distillate blend.

Baron23

For those thinking safety:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130?rand=yveksesz
for the full report on .pdf.

or

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130
for the full report on webpage.

Abstract

Inhalable, noncombustible cannabis products are playing a central role in the expansion of the medical and recreational use of cannabis. In particular, the practice of “dabbing” with butane hash oil has emerged with great popularity in states that have legalized cannabis. Despite their growing popularity, the degradation product profiles of these new products have not been extensively investigated. The study herein focuses on the chemistry of myrcene and other common terpenes found in cannabis extracts. Methacrolein, benzene, and several other products of concern to human health were formed under the conditions that simulated real-world dabbing. The terpene degradation products observed are consistent with those reported in the atmospheric chemistry literature.

Yes, but look at the temps they are running at:

The concentrations of MC in ppb per dab in this regime are185±11 ppb atTm= 526°C, 157±2 ppb atTm= 455°C,131±9 ppb atTm= 403°C, and undetectable at Tm= 322°C.Benzene was not detected below the highest TR.
403 C = 757 (and we are talking average at the dab surface over the course of the draw (per the study) so initial temp should be assumed to be higher)

322 C = 622 F average at the dab surface....which is pretty damn hot.

Its why I use e-bangers and not torch and holding my wrist over the banger to see if it cooled enough (sigh LOL).

Also, I did buy once a half a gram of HTFS concentrates but found the vapor to be VERY irritating so no more of that for me. Its just way over done.

Cheers and thanks for the full articles. I did see the small summaries but did not create an account in order to access the full report.

sickmanfraud

Thank you for the very good suggestions.

@Baron23 I think I like your suggestion of a sprayer the best. However, to spray I will need to dilute the terpenes, which makes the Micro-liter measure not necessary.

I can take 1 or two pieces of flower, give them a spritz with diluted terpenes and see how many squirts necessary for optimal sativa to indica "conversion".

I am at least several days away from receiving my order so I/we still have time to think of more ideas?

Anyone with any idea of how many drops per ounce of ethanol to start with?

Do any of you fellow FC users have any opinion on putting a drop of Myrcene on a cotton ball or rolled up hemp fiber and placing it in the bottom of a 4 piece grinder (after removing the hash collected)?

Would the cannabis above be influenced by the placing of a drop on a cotton ball?

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Reactions: GoldenBud

Tranquility

Anyone with any idea of how many drops per ounce of ethanol to start with?
I have no idea and am only making a guess. But, I think the Orchid theory of 15% terp in concentrate seems a reasonable upper limit. Maybe the dose is the ratio between THC/CBD and terps. Say we have a gram of 70% concentrate. 15% would be 4.666 to 1. (THC / terps = ratio, algebra, THC / ratio = terps) If you have a gram of flower at 13% THC/CBD, ( .13 / 4.666 = .028) you'd want to put on about .028 grams of terps.

How much flower are you going to...enhance?
What is the percentage THC/CBD?

Then, when you get the result (using 15% or lower as the terp constant) dilute the terps with your carrier to the point where you think you can get an even spread using whatever method you eventually decide on.

sickmanfraud

I figured it was time to report back.

I diluted the Myrcene 1 drop of Myrcene to 10 drops ethanol. I then put a few drops in the bottom of a 4 part grinder.

Through trial and error, I found 1 to 5 drops was a better concentration and I need to put that in the bottom 1 to 3 times. I can kind of tell that the terpenes are different.

I stir the cannabis in the grinder so the Myrcene can spread through the cannabis.

The color of the cannabis in the grinder actually darkened. At first, I was concerned about the color change, but the cannabis is not damp from the ethanol and Myrcene.

I am only grinding a small amount at a time enough for a day or two.

sickmanfraud,
Top Bottom