• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Terpene question

little maggie

My friend broke up with her boyfriend so I'm going to end up buying at dispensaries. I am having trouble making sense of the descriptions of the herbs. I know what CBD and THC are in a description. But I don't understand how the terpenes fit in. Just as an example how do I make sense of these 2:
28.2% THC | 69mgTerp/g

26.3% THC | 13mgTerp/g

And how do I compare those with the ones that only list THC/CBD and don't list terpenes at all?

little maggie,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Terpenes are what you smell, and knowing what they are will deepen your appreciation of cannabis whether you’re a medical patient or recreational consumer.

Secreted in the same glands that produce cannabinoids like THC and CBD, terpenes are the pungent oils that color cannabis varieties with distinctive flavors like citrus, berry, mint, and pine. Medical research on cannabis has so avidly focused on cannabinoids that we don’t know much about these aromatic compounds yet. However, we know just enough to realize that terpenes are the next frontier in medical marijuana.

I was just reading up on terpenes the other day. I found the above info on Leafly.

Monsoon

Just listing the total seems odd, not sure if that number has any value in the purchasing process unless they also list them individually. Different terps have vastly different effects so I'd be more concerned which ones were present. A higher number might mean tastier and more smelly weed but I don't know if that's a direct correlation or not.

HomeFree

6.9 % on the first sample, 1.3% in the second. I think more than 5% is considered extremely terpy! I would love affordable cannabis which showed individual terpenes, but probably only from an academic standpoint.

For now, I follow my nose and take notes as to the smells and tastes along with effects. I have a little notebook I write it in for each strain and each batch or phenotype I run across and started putting it on my other computer as well, as I can always insert more lines on a computer if I ran out of space on paper. Plus I can go into much more detail and possibly share it with a friend, especially my questionnaire for evaluation.

Will be cool when it is all mapped out and genetics testing is more complete so we could know some lineage or geographical origins or even be able to state the flower is the same as what it is being represented at (eg not big bud crossed with OG Kush and sold for OG prices).

So you can't compare how that particular sample compares to one with no results, but you can use your nose. I think someone else was writing about it today but combinations of terpenes can cause certain smells, and the smells are from said combinations of terpenes. I THINK there are two forms of each terpene as well. I may be wrong. Like limonene, I believe there is two forms of each (D and L), and they sometimes smell different from what I understand, though they have the same name. Looks like d-limo is citrus/orange, and l-limo is piney and turpentiney according to wikipedia. And that is not even taking into account the intermingling of terpenes.

Some people want a lot of terpenes, some want a lot of THC. Strong cannabis has been seek out for a long time, and terpenes are a fad now. Hopefully the interest continues. Sometimes those club results very well could be the very best nug in the whole batch, or could even be a separate strain altogether. I don't put too much faith in testing myself. Some of these clubs with testing are shady IMO. Some I do trust though.

little maggie

The link above shows the effects of different terpines and which strains contain them. I'd like to try:
Linalool

little maggie,

CarolKing

It might be trial and error to see what amounts of terpenes fits your vaporizing needs. Buy small amounts of your medicine if you are able. At least you have the terpene amounts. I don't get that info at the dispensaries that I go to. Is that receipt from a rec store in CO or WA?

When I first started going to a dispensary I kept notes as to what strains worked best for me. I found that a lot depends on who grew your cannabis. I can get a really pungent tasting Grape Ape or I can get the same strain and it just has the hint of the grape flavor from another farmer.

It could be how the flowers were treated after harvest. How long did it sit around too. I always wonder if we can always believe what they have stated. I always question THC levels. I've had cannabis that's says its 28% THC and another that says 19%THC and the 19% THC felt more medicating. Maybe how it's balanced with the other canabinoids.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

I have found conflicting info on terpenes.
Some sources list cannabinoids (like THC) as a terpene and others list cannabinoids as a separate entity.

They are produced in the same glands as cannabinoids and are deemed to NOT be psychoactive like THC
BUT they can work in conjunction with THC etc to enhance the effects.

That's the first time I've seen them listed on a label as the traditional method seems to be THC and CBD percentages. Very odd

MinnBobber,

StickyShisha2

plus, there are companies selling plant extracted terpenes blended to match popular strain profiles.

StickyShisha2,

little maggie

That came from a store in Oregon. I've been looking at different stores online to see what they carry since I'm new to buying from dispensaries. I went to 1 last year and it was so formal I felt uncomfortable. I probably won't buy from the store that listed terpenes- not worth driving that far when there are quite a few dispensaries within a mile. Just curious about what they were. I found out that linalool is an ingredient in violet delight. Unfortunately most of the nearby places that carry it limit it to OMMC.

little maggie,
Reactions: CarolKing

MinnBobber

And terps can enhance the effects of the psychoactive goodies.

Myrcene is a common terp in cannabis and in large amounts in black pepper and mangos. In my one experiment with mangos, ingesting mango 90 minutes before a session SEEMED to give me a much better high from the same amount of known cannabis.....
Research seems to show the myrcene or other terps can "prime" the cannabinoid receptors to better capture the THC etc.

HomeFree

I have found conflicting info on terpenes.
Some sources list cannabinoids (like THC) as a terpene and others list cannabinoids as a separate entity.

They are produced in the same glands as cannabinoids and are deemed to NOT be psychoactive like THC
BUT they can work in conjunction with THC etc to enhance the effects.

That's the first time I've seen them listed on a label as the traditional method seems to be THC and CBD percentages. Very odd

Cannabinoids themselves are terpenoids/terpenes from what I understand. They are not very aromatic though. Those terpene concentrations listed do not include the cannabinoids. I think it is cool. The more that can get mapped out the better IMO.

Also, it is probably common knowledge by now, but I guess a good number of terpenes are actually CB agonists themselves, including those derived from other plants. I just read a paper on it recently. Pretty neat! Terpenes are cool.

MinnBobber

Cannabinoids themselves are terpenoids/terpenes from what I understand.
.............................................................................................
@HomeFree ,
I would also say cannabinoids are tepenoids/terpenes BUT many articles/papers refer to them separately, as being A vs B.
I'd say all cannabinoids are terps BUT not all terps are cannabinoids. In fact, only a small % of terps are cannabinoids. Terps are all over in fruits and herbs and spices, but cannabinoids--not everywhere.

Look at little maggies dispensary label. I think it's wrong/misleading as THC should be a terp, included in the terp %. I don't think the second sample could be correct...
28.2% THC | 69mgTerp/g

26.3% THC | 13mgTerp/g

HomeFree

Thank you for the information cannabis.pro. :) Do you have any site you would recommend to learn more about each?

Last edited:
HomeFree,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
And terps can enhance the effects of the psychoactive goodies.

Myrcene is a common terp in cannabis and in large amounts in black pepper and mangos. In my one experiment with mangos, ingesting mango 90 minutes before a session SEEMED to give me a much better high from the same amount of known cannabis.....
Research seems to show the myrcene or other terps can "prime" the cannabinoid receptors to better capture the THC etc.

Some believe that Myrcene is what causes the "couch lock" feeling.
Indica or Sativa: Here’s How to Know

Interesting read, if nothing else.

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Terpenes are interesting aromatic, volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), that are manufactured by the cannabis plant (and other plants) as a defence against predators like herbivores and insects, that want to feed on the plant. Terpenoids are terpenes that have been oxidized, with some oxygen functionality, and/or have had some rearrangement of some of the molecules. Terpenes are hydrocarbons, while terpenoids have functional groups added. Hence, terpenes are actually a precursor to the cannabis plant making its cannabinoids.

Cannabinoids are a type of terpenoid, and chemically speaking, are basically a terpene, combined with a phenol and a straight chained aliphatic “tail”, composed of either a 3 or 5 carbon alkane (propane or pentane). Different terpene combinations give the cannabis plant such unique properties and characteristics.

Terpenes have been used in the perfume industry for years, taking advantage of their aromatic properties of different pleasant fragrances. The major terpenes found in cannabis are myrcene and limonene.You will see different designations of some terpenes, like (alpha) or (beta) myrcene, which are structural isomers of the same compound. Isomers are molecules with the same chemical formula as another molecule, but with a different chemical structure. They contain the same atoms, just arranged differently. You may also see designations like (+) or (-), these refer to the different optical isomers of the terpene, ie, mirror images of the compound.

While it has been known for a while now that terpenes can actually enhance the effect of the cannabinoids, more recent studies have shown that individual terpenes like myrcene, can trigger some cannabinoid receptors themselves,. They are also able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier (like cannabinoids), and can provide many medically beneficial effects on their own.

We definitely need more, legitimate studies on cannabis, especially the terpenes, to find out what other beneficial properties are contained within these wondrous compounds.

MinnBobber

@nicelytoasted ,
thanks.

So little maggie posted these figures of two herbs from a dispensary, THC % and Terp %.
I thought THC should be in THC of course AND in the Terp % as it's also a terp.....
Do these make sense to you?

28.2% THC | 69mgTerp/g

26.3% THC | 13mgTerp/g
Or are they not counting THC as a Terp?

I'd onyt seen THC and CBD % so these Terp figures seem very odd

MinnBobber,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
@MinnBobber , your quite welcome

@little maggie :

I could be wrong here, but %, or amount per gram are just different ways of expressing concentrations, or amounts present.

From the first example: 69mgTerp/g = 0.069g/g

0.069g/1g = x %/100, x= 0.069 X 100 = 6.9% terpenes (compared to 28.2 % THC)

I assume that they keep the cannabinoids (thc, cbd, cbn) and total terpene (myrcene, limonene and many more) amounts separate.

They really should be more consistent in their analysis displays, and report both cannabinoids and terpenes in the same measurement units, imo.

Hope this helps.

nicelytoasted,

HomeFree

Thanks for that. Russo and Clarke are on my must purchase book list for sure.

Looks like the cannabis-med site has some good info. I have never seen it before.

Maggie'sFarm, I don't really like the super formal dispensaries either, but also find the super low light not tell you anything about anything ones to be scuzzy. The formal ones I have been to feel too sterile and the funny thing is they often have budtenders who are extremely inexperienced. I have noticed that a lot of dispensaries in my area will do testing but not post it. I like dispensaries in the middle. Friendly, answer questions, have decent medicine, etc.

I suppose I do not need to see terpene breakdown as whatever I find is good is good to me, but it is interesting for sure and it would be interesting if geographical areas have terpenes in common.

I love living in California where many, but certainly not most, dispensaries test for Cannabinoid profile and potency and Terpene concentrations. SteepHill Lab has a nice and brief review about terpenes here: http://steephilllab.com/resources/cannabinoid-and-terpenoid-reference-guide/

and then an example Strain Fingerprint (many are on Leafly.com) http://steephill.com/strainfingerprint

In addition you can get a look at the Emerald Cup entries from 12/15
Go here to see a list of the Winners. Click on the name to get a link to the SCLabs profile
http://theemeraldcup.com/winners/

Go here for the complete list of flower entries submitted
http://contests.theemeraldcup.com/entries/2015/flower

You will see that almost all of the top 10 had high terpene content, i.e., were more aromatic than the others. For example the winner Cherry Limeade had a total terpene count of 53.32mg/gm being highest in Alpha Pinene and beta-Caryophyllene.The 2nd place went to Lemonhead OG with total terpene of 40.45mg/gm being highest in beta-Carophyllene and Myrcene. 6th place went to another Cherry Limeade#6 from the same producer as the winner, however it had a different terpene profile - 38.00mg/gm total and was really high in Myrcene. The same (or similar) strain from the same grower produced quite a different terpene profile.

...and as @cannabis.pro said: Let your nose be your guide.

CarolKing

The different strains with the high terpene levels comes down to who grew the plants and if they did everything right through each step of the growing and curing process. Not everyone is successful growing cannabis. It takes a lot of skill and practice.

Top Bottom