Tell me about bongs

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
Ok, I have seen a few threads on this site dedicated to bongs for specific vapes or where to purchase glass or to "show your glass". In all the searches I have done, there has been no thread dedicated to helping people looking for glass. That's what I would like this thread to be for. I had asked this question in the PD thread in response to vtac's 500ml EHLE video post, but it must have been skimmed over for the DIY kits Tom has been talking about :p.

So first off, I have been a smoker for a few years, and I held my friends DBV until I ordered a PD. PD hopefully coming soon, but that is a different thread.

I am looking to get a bong for myself to hook up to the PD, and to share with friends when the PD won't be suitable for a little bit larger of a group. It will be a shared combustion/vape bong and I am OK with that, so please don't tell me to not combust out of it. I want it to be able to pack a punch with vapor and smoke, and I would also like it to have somewhere for ice. I know that for extreme quality it would most likely be expensive, but I am willing to sacrifice. I am looking to spend under $150 (anything lower would be great, I don't have a fat wallet :/). I don't need anything fancy just a basic bong.

The biggest issue I am having is choosing a size that would be optimal or in-between for smoking and vaping, I know that it is a personal level of opinion per user, but if you would drop your :2c: that would be greatly appreciated.

Please post links make suggestions, and feel free if there is anyone new to the water-pipe 'scene' to ask questions.

Thanks in advance for advice! :peace:

The_Other_Shoe,

SmogTown

ehle_100ml_bong.jpg

I want to get this one. Its an ehle 250ml but I'm getting it with the ice catch(or whatever its called) and a diffusor. Found it cheap too. I am only using it for vaping so idk about using it for smoking. Plus I really don't wan't a massive bong. Unless its this one.

http://www.illadelphglass.com/rasta_1.html

SmogTown,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
Yea, after seeing Vtac's video it prompted me to do more research. I was definitely looking at some EHLE pieces, the simplicity is something I really like from them.

The_Other_Shoe,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Well if your going to use it with the pd you don't want to go to large. It just doesn't work well with bigger ones. That's why you see alot o people with the 100ml. But if your gonna smoke out of it that thing is a bit too small. Unless your into small rips.

I'd say something in the 250ml to 500ml is as big as you'd want to go. That's roughly 35-45cm (14-16") tall. I had a 35cm roor that was used for both. Pd didn't cloud it up as much as I'd like but it got the job done and It worked magnificently combusting as well.

I'd probaly buy a lil bigger because you can always add beads to it to take some air volume out if it is too big.

Ehle is a great brand that doesn't tax as much for the same stuff as other companies. They're good quality at a good price. I'm thinking about picking up a 250ml to use strictly for oil. And I miss how fast a straight tube clears.

minnesnowta,

Konrad_Zuse

minnesnowta said:
Well for 300 you can get a waffle bubbler or tube and that will blow any phx outta the water... With one perc.... Blazemaster is runnin 50 for bowls right now so you can have a custom blown one piece bowl for less than the vrip bowl. Plus they work better than the vrip slide IMHO. You can get the vrip stand but most people use a mug, cup, dish or some even have a mic stand. I think I'm one of the few with the stand and I personally love it. But whatever you need to do to cut cost. The glass bug had bit most people that have bought the wand so get ready. I'm tryin to think of something else to get on order so I have something to wait for. My blazemaster order should be done pretty soon here and I'm ready. I need to get a bubbler in my life. I always like bubblers when I combusted and I'd like to get a real nice gong one. Fuuuuck!!!
Like waffle fries? haha, what's a waffle bubbler? O_O?

modnote: 18 posts moved from the vhw thread. please avoid hijacking a thread by searching for an existing topic which fits your questions.

Konrad_Zuse,

Konrad_Zuse

stonemonkey55 said:
the one on the left in the picture above is a waffle tube, the one to the right is a inverted showerhead, the inline is a special SGW gridded inline with 50+ grids. all of these will blow a PHX out of the water and go very, very nicely with a VHW :D
So what are the difference in these 3 pieces, and what would the prices be? How are thye better than the phx?

Konrad_Zuse,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
You should go read my latest post in the "pics of your current set up" thread but the main difference is drag and percolation. The phx uses a dome perc which are often referred to as drag monsters. A lot of it is subjective as well, I prefer drag free pieces that can stack bubbles. I forget the physics behind it but basically the more bubbles you stack, the smoother the experience. Check out this video of the waffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTHDTe-T3Os

Plus, these custom pieces by the people we recommended are put together by glass blowers of higher skill levels. It's also pretty cool to get something made to your specifications as well. Some of the piecs that I'll be getting from Stoneglassworks, Vertigo, and Sovereignty are gonna just be ridiculous, if I brought them into any headshop, the owner would be doing headspins.

Anyhow, the best part is, whatever you get, it will compliment the vhw nicely.

stonemonkey55,

Konrad_Zuse

stonemonkey55 said:
You should go read my latest post in the "pics of your current set up" thread but the main difference is drag and percolation. The phx uses a dome perc which are often referred to as drag monsters. A lot of it is subjective as well, I prefer drag free pieces that can stack bubbles. I forget the physics behind it but basically the more bubbles you stack, the smoother the experience. Check out this video of the waffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTHDTe-T3Os

Plus, these custom pieces by the people we recommended are put together by glass blowers of higher skill levels. It's also pretty cool to get something made to your specifications as well. Some of the piecs that I'll be getting from Stoneglassworks, Vertigo, and Sovereignty are gonna just be ridiculous, if I brought them into any headshop, the owner would be doing headspins.

Anyhow, the best part is, whatever you get, it will compliment the vhw nicely.
So waffles have holes to allow bubbles to be formed? Sweeet :D. Yeah the phx did have drag on it. Please post pics of what you're getting :D. What do you recommend met o go with from those 3, or in general? I really want something nice to go with my vhw :).

Konrad_Zuse,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
It's all about surface area. The smaller you can make bubbles the more surface of the smoke touches water and cools it. With grids you get crazy bubble stacks that trees have never been able to do. Until they started gridding trees like SOV does. It's all about stacking tiny bubbles.

Short break down of what they are

waffle is a disc with tons of tiny holes resembling a waffle. This is a fixed stem design. Smoke is pulled outta the tiny holes creating craaaaaazy diffusion. By far one of the best performing percs on the market

The inverted shower head is a showerhead flipped upside down and the smoke is drawn up through the slits which tears water up as well. Cool lookin design which I've always liked. Wouldn't say it performs any better than the waffle.

The gridded inline is just like a regular inline but after he makes the d-cuts he goes back and webbs the slits shut in smaller holes to once again make smaller bubbles. Inlines have been a huge thing for the past long while because of the diffusion they achive.

Now why are they better than the phx?
Usualy mass produced stuff like that isn't going to be the greatest made or highest quality. The quality of the trees isn't very good and they aren't all that big. I personaly wouldn't touch a tree with less than 8 arms but that's me. I can't tell you exactly what pricing would be but Preston would be the one to ask for that. To me if in going to drop 300 on anything it's going to be freaking awesome. And why go prodo if custom is about the same price? I'm done with headshops. They're a rip off around here and not worth the gas. At the end of the day it's your money though...

minnesnowta,

Konrad_Zuse

minnesnowta said:
It's all about surface area. The smaller you can make bubbles the more surface of the smoke touches water and cools it. With grids you get crazy bubble stacks that trees have never been able to do. Until they started gridding trees like SOV does. It's all about stacking tiny bubbles.

Short break down of what they are

waffle is a disc with tons of tiny holes resembling a waffle. This is a fixed stem design. Smoke is pulled outta the tiny holes creating craaaaaazy diffusion. By far one of the best performing percs on the market

The inverted shower head is a showerhead flipped upside down and the smoke is drawn up through the slits which tears water up as well. Cool lookin design which I've always liked. Wouldn't say it performs any better than the waffle.

The gridded inline is just like a regular inline but after he makes the d-cuts he goes back and webbs the slits shut in smaller holes to once again make smaller bubbles. Inlines have been a huge thing for the past long while because of the diffusion they achive.

Now why are they better than the phx?
Usualy mass produced stuff like that isn't going to be the greatest made or highest quality. The quality of the trees isn't very good and they aren't all that big. I personaly wouldn't touch a tree with less than 8 arms but that's me. I can't tell you exactly what pricing would be but Preston would be the one to ask for that. To me if in going to drop 300 on anything it's going to be freaking awesome. And why go prodo if custom is about the same. I'm done with headshops. They're a rip off around here and not worth the gas. At the end of the day it's your money though...
Cool thanks :). So those are some nice pieces then? I guess you guys swayed me choice pretty quickly, haha I'm such a noobie :). What do you mean by arms?

Konrad_Zuse,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
those accept either !4.4 or 18.4 and the vhw works for both sizes.

this is a tree perc with arms. each arm has individual slits to make nice, tiny bubbles

luxsovminicomparison%20008.JPG

stonemonkey55,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
lol SM beat me to it

Tree perc = arms. Each individual branch coming down is an arm. But yes Preston kills it. He's a glass samurai and truely an innovator of the glass game. And all of those pieces have 18.8mm joints to run a vhw with. He could make it in 14mm as well. It's made to accept any joint that size. And lower VCBs are avaialble in 14 or 18mm as well. Each are interchangeable with the upper bowl

minnesnowta,

Konrad_Zuse

I'm soo confused how they would fit, haha. Oh I get it, the verticle perks, sweet :). Btw can I get links to these designers? YOu mentioned 3 monkey, and then there's this preston guy.

Oh they must be bigger than what I think they are, haha.

Konrad_Zuse,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
They're all made by the same guy. Preston of stone glass works. Www.stoneglassworks.com

and the waffle tube on the left is gonna be atleast a foot tall. These arent crazy small. That inverted showerhead is probaly over 18 I'm guessing. It looks pretty big

minnesnowta,

Konrad_Zuse

minnesnowta said:
They're all made by the same guy. Preston of stone glass works. Www.stoneglassworks.com

and the waffle tube on the left is gonna be atleast a foot tall. These arent crazy small. That inverted showerhead is probaly over 18 I'm guessing. It looks pretty big
Cool cool thanks.

So this is Stoneglassworks, Vertigo, and Sovereignty? Or what's Vertigo and Sovereignty?

Wow a foot? Haha they look mad small :).

Konrad_Zuse,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
They're all different companies. Some of the top ones in the glass game right now. Sov is well known for having some of the highest quality tubes around. Vertigo is another blower that has been killin showerheads and stone is owned by a guy named Preston that has an abundance of skill
and is really proving to be an innovator. Plus he's well known for his customer service and his all around being a cool guy.

And they all can be made to custom lengths. Prestons know for hookin it up

minnesnowta,

Konrad_Zuse

I guess I should go with stoneglass then. Thanks :). So I can customize something with him, cool cool. I don't know what I want though haha. Something that looks really sick, not too big, but can filter amazingly, I guess I should go with a waffle instead of tree perks?

Konrad_Zuse,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
You won't be dissapointed. A worked waffle may be a bit over 300 just to warn you but I'm not 100% on that. I haven't talked to him about pricing yet. I'm going to drop him an email soon. I want to get some of his work

minnesnowta,

Konrad_Zuse

minnesnowta said:
You won't be dissapointed. A worked waffle may be a bit over 300 just to warn you but I'm not 100% on that. I haven't talked to him about pricing yet. I'm going to drop him an email soon. I want to get some of his work
Yeah price wasn't a big deal on a custom. I'm not going to buy it right now, but I'm getting ideas :D. I'm guessing he already knows us as the FC Crew right, hopefully I can get something good :).

But like I asked before Waffles are better than tree perks or?

Also lemme know what you get, I'm curious :D.

Konrad_Zuse,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I believe a clear will run you about 300 and to get it worked, anywhere from $50+ depending on how many sections.

Not sure if he'll know what the FC Crew is because he isn't a vaporist but he knows AZN and myself but that in itself won't get any discounts, pref treatment, or any of that good stuff.

Maybe we should bring this conversation back to the "Pics of your current setup" thread....

stonemonkey55,

Konrad_Zuse

stonemonkey55 said:
I believe a clear will run you about 300 and to get it worked, anywhere from $50+ depending on how many sections.

Not sure if he'll know what the FC Crew is because he isn't a vaporist but he knows AZN and myself but that in itself won't get any discounts, pref treatment, or any of that good stuff.

Maybe we should bring this conversation back to the "Pics of your current setup" thread....
I wasn't looking for any of that, jw if he knew about this site. I dont' really understand you post though, lets move to the glass topic int he general help :p.

Konrad_Zuse,
Top Bottom