• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear Tamasium Concentrate extractor?

Zipsort

Wondering if anyone has heard/seen/used one of these. Been thinking about getting one so I can make the type of oil I get.

The tamasium extractor is an essential oil extractor that can use many different solvents and RECLAIMS 99% OF THE SOLVENT USED.

I have found deep in the internet a few comments about using this thing for BHO and it sounds great so far. Apparently people re use their butane multiple times for different batches before discarding it and starting with new butane.

te700.jpg

A Tamisium Butane Extractor is a totally closed system and the carrier/primary solvent is never exposed to the air during extraction or recovery of the solvents used. Very easy to use and simple to understand. If you are using any other extraction process you will wonder why you ever did after using one of these new extractors, This extractor will make your extraction business much easier, safer, and faster. The Table Top Model is Ideal in laboratory settings for running test on solvent, pressure, time and temperature combinations prior to using larger more costly equipment.

WHY BUTANE?
Why not? Butane in non toxic, extracts at low to zero pressures and can be recovered easily for reuse after you use it. It can be recovered for resuse over and over again and it is cleaned every time you recover it. Butane is miscible with other solvents, and can carry other solvents through the plant material and separate from them after the extraction has been performed and after the solvent recovery process, and it leaves no trace or residuals after the process completes.

Almost all volatile (evaporating) solvents such as alcohol, ether, acetone and butane are flammable but the Tamisium Extractor is the first dedicated system that deals with a flammable non toxic solvent in a sealed pressurized system with redundant safety features. Butane has been used as a food safe solvent for almost a hundred years. It is used to manufacture and distribue food products for decades and still used today.

It has been said that no extraction solvent has ever captured the total essence and fragrance or aroma of a flower in all it's delicacy as has been done when using the NON TOXIC Solvent Butane. Yet, the evaporation of the solvent is not so low that recovery of the solvent for reuse is costly and difficult as with it's cousin propane. When dealing with delicate volatile oils that evaporate easily, there is no other solvent that can compare due to the low evaporation point of butane and the exact polarity match of butane to the oils you are extracting. Butane dissolves oils easily safely and more efficiently than any other solvent you could use. So much so that it is currently in use as a propellant in cooking oil sprays.

As a matter of fact, there are some essential oils, aromas and plant chemicals that can not be dissolved and extractred by any other means than by using butane as the primary solvent, and now, you can recover the solvent for reuse automatically.
This extractor is not limited to essential oil extractions, perfumes or rare botanicals. Use it to extract biofuel from seeds, soil or clean oil laden machinery in a special cleaning vessel. It may be the most versatile extractor ever produced.

Zipsort,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
I was just reading about these a few days ago. They look like a great idea and a lot safer then just blasting butane into the atmosphere which always seems to put me on edge worrying about a stray spark anywhere.

If anyone here on the forums has much experience with one of these it would be great to hear your thoughts on ease of use and advantages over the stanrd bho tubes most of us use

psyshaman,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
lol. It looks amazing. but i've seen the prices...

don't think most of us errlheads have a spare 3-5k lying around for a bho extractor when we can go to bed bath and beyond and get the old SS turkey baster for 3 dollars.

more of a laboratory thing I would think.

MarcellusWiley,

stroh

errl enthusiast
good luck affording one, and the necessary n-butane tanks to use it with, though you can reclaim your butane. if i was making mass amounts of oil for a dispensary i could see this being a feasible option, but for simply a connoisseur, its a little out of the ballpark.

stroh,

Zipsort

stroh said:
good luck affording one, and the necessary n-butane tanks to use it with, though you can reclaim your butane. if i was making mass amounts of oil for a dispensary i could see this being a feasible option, but for simply a connoisseur, its a little out of the ballpark.

heh.. i dont think I need luck to afford one. The TE-175 2oz version is $995. Hell some people I know spend more than that just on their glass. Thats not bad at all for a safe professional THC extractor. I don't see it getting much more legit than this to be honest. And no you don't need a laboratory.

Also if for some reason I couldn't afford the stack to buy it I would have 2 or 3 buddies toss in on it and we would all use it to make our oils.

Sounds awesome, just havent gathered enough info on it yet to pull the trigger. It could actually end up saving me a large amount of money with how much oil I smoke

Zipsort,

Zipsort

MarcellusWiley said:

don't think most of us errlheads have a spare 3-5k lying around for a bho extractor when we can go to bed bath and beyond and get the old SS turkey baster for 3 dollars.

Obviously the reason I would be paying a high price is because of the quality and consistency of what it can produce

Using an old turkey baster to me is like the caveman mcguyver method of extracting THC. It can be volatile and dangerous and most people do not properly remove all the butane

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Looks amazing, I am curious about the process of getting the tanks of butane to use with it but other than that $995 doesn't sound like the worst investment

SF Giant,

SD_haze

I have no idea if it was made with this, but I've had BHO made from a, quote "machine" costing "thousands of dollars" that claimed to be 99.9-100% essential oils.
What was especially special about this bho is that they only put the very tops of the dankest buds, the most resinous part of the whole cannabis plant. Apparently it took 7 grams of tops to make 1g of this nectar. Of course this means they charged the same as a quarter of topshelf dank would normally cost (making it a staggering $80/g)

It was truly the best concentrate I've ever had period. It simultaneously had the best flavor, highest potency, with zero lung irritation compared with any concentrate I've ever had.

The dispensary this was coming from was getting dozens of flavors a month, complete with a dab bar and labtested THC %'s (90%+ for the best ones)

Sad to report after all the insanity here in san diego with clubs getting shut down, they're finally down for good after re-opening in secret only to be robbed, forcing closure without return.
:(

SD_haze,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Sdhaze: I wonder if the concentrate you had was made by a co2 extraction? Btw, I think a 7:1 ratio is the standard when making concentrates.

In the end I think the oil that comes out of the tasmisium isnt any better than the oil that comes out of a turkey baster, UNLESS N-Butane is used and even then the product will still need a proper purge. N-Butane should'nt have the mercaptans and other trace gases in it, which will mean the end product should be pure concentrate without any contaminates.

The other advantage of the tasmisium is that it allows you to recapture almost all of the butane. This is where you save money! If every time you do a run, you use one can ($5) and did one run a month your looking at $60 worth of butane, then multiply that by the rest of your life = big savings.

Anoter advantage of the tasmisium is that you can tailor your extractions. Want a fast extraction under high pressure? How about slow with low pressure? Combo? Different techs might be better for a first wash or second wash etc.

The last major advantage of the tasmisium is that it's much safer to use irl. Extractions can be done indoors!

The major disadvantage is that it's very hard to scape your product out of the "bowl". If it was designed with a screw off bottom it would be a lot easier. Special scrapers are key and even then unless you use a carrier solvent (more butane, iso etc) you won't get it all out.

There are a few threads on the tasmisium over at jokecity. In a few of those threads it seems like people don't understand it because they don't like the oil it produces based on the pics of some of the posters - it's pretty hard to tell how good a product is just by looking at a pic, but these backseat drivers do just that! I think it's like anything, there is a learning curve, and it takes a few runs to dial everything in. Once dialed in though the tasmisium CAN produce the most pure product around (unless you're getting co2 extractions)!

notmyrealUSERname,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
I'll be honest. the 2oz version at 995 is a LOOOOT more reasonable, and when you put it the way you put it it does seem like you could make it work pretty easily. I didn't know they came that small to be honest.

and I'd hope a 1000 dollar machine worked better than my turkey baster haha, but I still think i get a pretty good end product for what I put in. vacuum purge really helps.

but hey if you have 3-4 people willing to drop a k and then enough to do 2oz runs, i'd probably do it too!

thats the main part stopping me from something like this...2 ounces of bud run at the minimum is still way more oil than I'd ever need at one time lol.

MarcellusWiley,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
notmyrealUSERname said:
The major disadvantage is that it's very hard to scape your product out of the "bowl". If it was designed with a screw off bottom it would be a lot easier. Special scrapers are key and even then unless you use a carrier solvent (more butane, iso etc) you won't get it all out.
If you don't like scraping your product out of the tank at the end use a transport solvent like d-limonene for instance. That way you can pour out your product and do the final evap in a dish or something. TetraLabs, makers of THC Gold, actually ADD d-limonene to their product to enhance it. From their website:

"Smokable PureGold is packaged in a clear squeeze tubes and includes 5% d-limonene, a naturally occurring terpene found in orange oil and other plants, including cannabis. Testers report that limonene improves smoke-ability and improves the affect. Limonene also is an anti-oxidant and has the pleasant fragrance of oranges. "

http://tetralabs.com/puregold.php

Edit: I also read where if you can't find "Lab" grade n-butane, you can actually use this device to purify canned butane. By simply running it through the system and reclaiming it will clean it up a lot and they also mention putting activated carbon crystals in the extraction chamber to clean butane as well.

Edit: I have been drooling over the TE175, Super Deluxe kit for $1,395 (USD) for a while now. I would definitely pay the extra $40 to have them assemble, and pressure test the device before shipping.

te175deluxe.jpg

t-dub,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Zipsort said:
MarcellusWiley said:

Obviously the reason I would be paying a high price is because of the quality and consistency of what it can produce

Using an old turkey baster to me is like the caveman mcguyver method of extracting THC. It can be volatile and dangerous and most people do not properly remove all the butane

whichever vessel you use for extraction, one will not produce a more quality oil over the other, unless you are using some janky plastic extractor that can leech harmful chemicals into your product. a stack is a lot more reasonable than 3-5, but really the only benefit you will get is being able to reclaim the butane, a tamisium won't automatically give you better results, it all comes down to your purge tech, which is the most important step IMO. if you feel the cost is worth it, then by all means go for it, i believe you can also purge a majority of the butane in machine, though i would definitely invest in a quality vacuum setup if you're gonna be dropping the cash on a tamisium. i know of many fellows who make extremely large batches of top quality errls for collectives/dispensaries (20-30g+ of oil at a time) and use a good ole baster or glass tube, it really all comes down to your purge technique to produce the best results.

stroh,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
A question because I am new to this: I thought in the video that they used a scale to weigh, to the gram, the butane, before and after extraction, and it was the same? X amount goes in and X amount comes out? I like how they use the thermometer to tell the status of the transfer from the temp of the fittings. I understand there will be a little loss from connection fittings etc and that making the temperature differential between the 2 ends increases the vacuum and extraction. Am I wrong to think that using d-limonene as a transport solvent and then doing a final purge outside of the apparatus is a good idea? Possibly a heated/vacuum purge?

Edit: When I say "the video" I now realize this was something I found elsewhere and when I relocate it will post a link, but it was a nice full showing of a real extraction and how to use the thermometer and scale and create temperature differentials in the vessels etc . . In this video they also used 50 ml of some kind of transport solvent.

t-dub,

vap999

Isn't d-limonene a DEA-watched, if not controlled, substance? Isn't it (along with olivetol) a classic precursor for THC synthesis? It might be foolish to purchase d-limonene without considering this.

At this level of cost, danger and sophistication, why not just use surely much safer CO2 super critical extraction, or do classic ether/water solvent extractions? Or consider purchasing the real thing -- comparable desktop and pilot scale chemical engineering equipment, such as from Parr (e.g., see http://www.parrinst.com/products/non-stirred-pressure-vessels)?

vap999,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
d-limonene is orange oil . . . its common and available. No worries, its considered food grade by the FDA if you buy it pure, and its a non-polar solvent which evaporates at useful temperatures. Super-critical C02 equipment costs tens of thousands of dollars and requires specialized training to operate properly.

From the source of d-limonene: http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm

Edit: I get mine here: http://gratefulbuys.com/product_info.php?products_id=421&osCsid=04b0ee6f72fa825314215d632d2edd31

It makes a FANTASTIC carpet cleaner!!! Think mascara, adhesives, etc.

Edit: ok found 2 nice videos, first one is an extraction on lavender and the second video is solvent reclamation afterwards. Both excellent to start. I don't think the transport solvent is d-limonene however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTn5rJ_gBWk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajDkBlw_jYs&feature=related

t-dub,
Reactions: Roger D

Zipsort

At this level of cost, danger and sophistication, why not just use surely much safer CO2 super critical extraction, or do classic ether/water solvent extractions? Or consider purchasing the real thing -- comparable desktop and pilot scale chemical engineering equipment, such as from Parr (e.g., see http://www.parrinst.com/products/non-st e-vessels)?

Cost is the only con. But if you are making a large amount of oils i dont think cost is a huge concern

Danger is def not a concern. This thing is by far the safest bho extractor I have ever seen..

It's actually not very sophisticated either, very simple idea in a controlled an sealed container. It's just metal and hose couplings.

A question because I am new to this: I thought in the video that they used a scale to weigh, to the gram, the butane, before and after extraction, and it was the same? X amount goes in and X amount comes out? I like how they use the thermometer to tell the status of the transfer from the temp of the fittings. I understand there will be a little loss from connection fittings etc and that making the temperature differential between the 2 ends increases the vacuum and extraction. Am I wrong to think that using d-limonene as a transport solvent and then doing a final purge outside of the apparatus is a good idea? Possibly a heated/vacuum purge?

Edit: When I say "the video" I now realize this was something I found elsewhere and when I relocate it will post a link, but it was a nice full showing of a real extraction and how to use the thermometer and scale and create temperature differentials in the vessels etc . . In this video they also used 50 ml of some kind of transport solvent.

Yes, he weighs the butane tank before and after the extraction (I have seen the video you speak of, the guy was making bho specifically, 50 mins long)

Thats because the extractor reclaims 99% percent of the butane after the run. You are left with 1% butane in your product that will obviously evap.

And a carrier solvent is used in swishing around the collection chamber after the butane is back in the top tank, which literally picks up the THC, and carries it in liquid form into a plate to evaporate the carrier (much like purging butane, but a ton safer and healthier)

Also, n-butane is NOT REQUIRED. It will be more ideal and effective but canned quality butane also works totally fine

Zipsort,

mephisto

I have been reading that a non-polar solvent such as ethanol can be used to "catch"
the bho run. The plant waxes and lipids are precipitated out and the ethanol evaporated.
The question is how to clean your butane? Will running it through activated carbon remove
any/all potential harmfuls????

mephisto,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
I have been reading that a non-polar solvent such as ethanol can be used to "catch"
the bho run. The plant waxes and lipids are precipitated out and the ethanol evaporated.
The question is how to clean your butane? Will running it through activated carbon remove
any/all potential harmfuls????
from what i know there are a few methods. all harmfuls can be removed solely thru vacuum and low heat (alcohols). however other waxes can be removed by having it freezed and filtered w/ buchner funnel w/ flask and vacuum. you can also use activated carbon and a magnetic stirrer/hotplate, then filter same as before. depends on how far down the hole you are willing to go, from my understanding.

Bob Loblaw,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
just dropped the dough on the small deluxe tami. hope to regale you all w/ good data soon.

Bob Loblaw,

Darb

I've had one for a few months now, and lovin' it. If you need any help or tips, feel free to gimme a prod or two :)

Do you feel that it was worth the cash?
Is there any difference in the product?
Do you still need to vac purge afterwords?
Do you use another solvent to remove the concentrate from the extractor?

Darb,

QuantumTimeSpace

Hashtronaut
I definitely feel it was worth the cost, for the safety factors, and all the money I've saved on 'tane since the purchase as well.
I feel the Tami gives me more control over variables, thus I believe it's producing as good or even better results than my old boro blaster. Also, it is very efficient, and my yields have increased noticeably.
Yes I still vac purge @ low heats.
I tried using ISO a few times as a transport solvent, but wasn't satisfied with the results. Now I leave a small amount of butane in liquid form to aid in removal from the Tami, all in all its only about a $2-4 loss in solvents.

QuantumTimeSpace,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw
Top Bottom