1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching FC to full-HTTPS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KeroZen, Sep 5, 2016.

?

Would you like that this forum transitions to full HTTPS (encrypted) operation mode?

1. Yay!

101 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. Nay!

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. I'm clueless

12 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. bossman

bossman Well-Known Member

There's one post from February and the second most recent is from June of last year. Is @vtac available for admin stuff and just prefers not to post?

The advice I got at the time of my account creation was to just use a different email address because there was nobody who was going to send me another temp password or account verification email.

That's all in the past and I'm not complaining about the community or the bbs. I'm only trying to establish the extent to which this site does or doesn't have active administration.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

That is a fair description, yes. Most all of his posts are with the staff behind the scenes.

:peace:

Ramahs and bossman like this.
  3. looney2nz

looney2nz Research Geek, Mad Scientist

@Stu, @pakalolo, @vtac, others I'm brainfarting on...

I completely endorse making the move to HTTPS and upgrading the forum software to close some of the security holes and perhaps make the board experience even nicer? I know there is a bit of heartburn involved, but it doesn't have to be too bad if things are done right. Once done, we can all breathe a bit easier. Any 'white-hats' out there who'd volunteer to help with InfoSec on an ongoing basis?

I personally LOVE this forum, but like when I was chief moderator on the ASA web forums (RIP), we had legions of abusers from certain areas of the world. I wanted to block their entire range in their countries domain, back then not many were using VPNs... on the VPN count, with the number of folks using them, particularly with their cell phones to try and protect themselves if they happen to use a public wi-fi, or setting up a mobile hotspot... I don't think it falls in the same class as using TOR.

Moderators here ROCK... pure and simple. Great job folks! Thanks!

Vapor_Eyes, bossman and asdf420 like this.
  4. Hackerman

Hackerman The Fool

There are only a handful of mods here. For a forum this size, I agree on the kudos to the few mods who do keep the order around here.

If it weren't for Stu and the other mods, people like me would be rampantly back to back posting and running amuck. LOL

Nice job guys.

And, I am not really familiar with Xenforo but I am definitely 'white' and would be more than happy to help where I can. I also have friends who do it for a living if you want things upgraded, paid for, registered all proper..... and guaranteed. It's not free but I'm pretty sure he's affordable.

Based on some of the input from a couple of the members here, I know a couple people here who could do it in a breezy afternoon. LOL

Software upgrades aren't free. If we need to take up a collection to pay for the upgrade, I'm sure that's no problem here. The members are more like family than forum.

Still won't stop the hackers and bots but it puts another wall up between us and them.

We will upgrade sooner or later. Something always comes up that FORCES an upgrade. Otherwise, I would still be running MS DOS. Sure as fuck wouldn't be using Win10. LOL

Whisper, macbill, leveltree and 3 others like this.
  5. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

@Hackerman :D Haha ,dude just make yourself admin and switch the forum to full HTTPS ,why wait for the mod?? :razz:
    I have to add that i have no idea what difference that would make and even if you explain it to me i would probably not get it,i am just vaked and making stupid jokes :p.

leveltree, macbill and Mr. Gweilo 420 like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors