The Plug-In Supreme Vaporizer

JCat

Accessory Maker
A 10mm OD coil is tiny! That's the ID of a D-Nail/Auber flat coil. If the SV4 only takes a 10mm OD coil, then i'm out. The temp difference of ~400 degree difference @Dubmonkey is seeing between the PID and the SV4 body is pretty striking, IMO. I understand a temp gun isn't completely accurate, but the temp difference does concern me.
10mm flat coil means a 26-30mm OD coil (10mm is the inside diameter)

Did I miss something? From what I perceived Dubmonkey was having similar numbers on PID and at bowl as @JCat?
You did miss something. My 1st prototype I was up around the 600+ F mark to get 185C (370F) on the SV3 thermometer. My theory before building the 2nd prototype is that the tolerance for the thickness of the coil needs to be tight to keep it sandwiched efficiently between the plate and the SV3 ... any play in there and it loses it loses 120F to the air vs a tighter fit ... it also then doesn't track as well as the PID gets more out of sync with the SV3 thermometer with more lag.

The 1st prototype was ~10 minutes heatup @ 600F on the PID got it at about 180C stable
The 2nd prototype with the tighter tolerances (and half the weight) was ~5 minutes heatup @480F on the PID and it stabilizes at 185C

biohacker

If the SV4 only takes a 10mm OD coil, then i'm out

I'm still getting one, with Ed's coil or the plain SV4!

You're confusing me dude! Then again it might be this fancy terp taffy i've been hitting! :rofl:

As for the PID numbers...who cares...it's just a reference point anyway! Tweak and fine tune and dial it in!

ew91

10mm flat coil means a 26-30mm OD coil (10mm is the inside diameter)

Appreciate the clarification!

You're confusing me dude! Then again it might be this fancy terp taffy i've been hitting! :rofl:

LOL, my bad. Meant to say I would be out for the Fully Monty SV4 if it was a 10mm OD coil and would prefer the SV4 Plain. But @JCat clarified that 10mm is the coil ID.

edit: sorry Mods for the double post. I thought I edited and added to my other post.

Last edited by a moderator:

biohacker

SV4 has landed. Unfortunately I can't use it and have some bad news to report. The coil glows very bright red, the bottom has discoloured, and the silicone is offgassing like crazy! Email sent. Words can't express how bummed out I feel! :cry: This is with setting it to 450.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Thoughts? Bad coil? PID?

EDIT: Think my PID goes to 999f regardless of what I set it to. Such a light and cheap feeling PID.

I think i will rewire mine to use my China PID that is rock solid or even my RDK.
The controller is super cheap and very new to the market.

So sorry what has happened bro!! This one had a lot of hype and it has not started off very well at all.

So far 2 out of 2 are busts... Not a good average at all.

hoyo77

I think i may hold off on my purchase even though Ed has sent me an invoice...I need to see more favorable reviews and this PID controller has be leary. Dont know much about them but its got me a little leary to purchase a full kit.

biohacker

So it's overshooting to 999F no matter what you temperature set it to?

It was....now it's not! Finally settled on 425.. however the coil is red hot glowing red, the silicone looks like it's just about to combust and my place stinks like plastic and I have a wicked headache! Good times! lol

So sorry what has happened bro!! This one had a lot of hype and it has not started off very well at all.

Thanks dude, I hope yours works better!!

So far 2 out of 2 are busts... Not a good average at all.

Almost seems as if DubMonkey's didn't get hot enough?

I think i may hold off on my purchase even though Ed has sent me an invoice...I need to see more favorable reviews and this PID controller has be leary. Dont know much about them but its got me a little leary to purchase a full kit.

I begged Ed to beta test it before he rolled them out! I honestly do not blame you and would do the same in your shoes.

Interesting how well @JCat Electric conversion kit is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm jealous!

VumFgxO.jpg

hoyo77

It was....now it's not! Finally settled on 425.. however the coil is red hot glowing red, the silicone looks like it's just about to combust and my place stinks like plastic and I have a wicked headache! Good times! lol

Thanks dude, I hope yours works better!!

Almost seems as if DubMonkey's didn't get hot enough?

I begged Ed to beta test it before he rolled them out! I honestly do not blame you and would do the same in your shoes.

Interesting how well @JCat Electric conversion kit is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm jealous!

VumFgxO.jpg
And the fact that dubmonkey has his listed in the FC classifieds already has really forced me to wait!!!

Alexis

No need to be jealous (well maybe for the moment). Hopefully Ed can put this right for you easily enough. I mean- ha can't have got it THAT wrong could he?:shrug:
It is a shame Ed doesn't use this platform a little more to better develop a few aspects. He was obviously confident in what he was doing.

Really hoping he has done his sums right and the SV4 comes good for all if you- Im really looking to watching this one. Im counting on daily entertainment while I excitedly wait for DigiTi.

BUT- by an amazing stroke, we have here on FC a true hero, a bright spark of positive light and good will... @JCat !:bowdown::rockon:

I would honestly be feeling for you so much more right now @biohacker (I KNOW how much this means to you, I can see it as a movie one day haha!)...
if not for the timely light on ALL of your (sub)consciouanesses- Jcat's ingenious mod!

So at least you know that if the SV4 fails to meet standards there is more than a fall back plan.
Possibly even the better option it seems even when SV4 is dialled right, for all we can currently guess.

Anyway, if it was me I would be feeling so much better about it all knowing of Jcat's new creation, and I would be on his case to hook me up pronto.:nod:
Hoping it all comes good guys.

Dubmonkey

No worries. Wanted a sv3 for a while and was curious. I scratched that itch and it sv4 is not for me.

The controller can be tricky as once you plug it in and click power three times it appears it starts applying heat. So if you don’t have the PID in temp setting mode and adjusted you could by default have it set to 999 out of the box. I know when I first turned mine on the temp was at 999 and turned down immediately.

Top Bottom