Supreme V3 Electric Conversion Kit

JCat

Accessory Maker
I've been thinking about buying a spare actually.
A spare SV3? A spare modded coil? A spare set of plates? (Just wondering ... :lol: )

On another note ... to everyone that bought a coil and plates ... I know we never discussed warranty ... but here's what I can do:

1. If for whatever reason your plates don't work, send them back, and I can make adjustments accordingly if required, or I could produce another set if need be. (obviously I couldn't produce a replacement set for everyone ... but pretty sure that won't be required ... :lol: )

2. For the coils, although they initially have a 1 year warranty from High5, that is obviously voided as soon as you cut them apart :) ... @PlanetVape has given me a good price on coils, so should your coil fail, send it back to me and I will repair @ cost. This would be ~$30 I believe for a burnt coil and ~$15-$20 if the thermocouple needs to be replaced. I would hope the connector could be re-used. Anyways ... what it comes down to is I will warranty the labour for 1 year.

3. I have tested everyone's coil as far as I plugged them in to an XLR port (I built an adapter cable so I can re-map my pins however required to test different coil wirings). I tested that the thermocouple was reading a signal, and that it moved in the right direction and was reading a sensible temperature (ie. it started at ~ room temp and heated it up when I held it in my fingers), and I also very briefly turned on the coil, just long enough for it to start heating to confirm the wiring was correct. I would recommend nonetheless, assuming your controller has an on/off switch for the coil as well as the controller, start with the coil OFF and make sure you are getting a temperature reading--if you are not then the coil was damaged in transit or you did not have the wiring you thought you had (although I don't think this is likely ... one was a High5 wiring and all others were standard d-nail wiring)

Cheers!
JCat

Edit:

They will pay you back with love Jcat! :love::bowdown: And you know that is why you are doing this deepdown- to make people happy, you just had to charge so as not to look like a right mug, "The amazing Jcat- saving the universe out of pure good will, one 3.5 at a time.";)

Oh man, you're telling me I gotta wait LONGER for Biohacker to join in ths fun?!:\
Next week sounds good though. Something to look forward to (No pressure Bio for spills, in your own time.:tup:)

Thanks @Alexis ... you always are so generous with your compliments ... it's not just about helping though ... it's about the enjoyment I get participating in the community and this is part of that ... a way I can give back and work on something I'm interested in and passionate about ... it's not all out of good will :) ... the bit of money too allows me to re-invest that into prototypes, as well as other vapes and accessories, so I don't have to feel too guilty about it :lol:

@biohacker might get his for the weekend ... anything's possible ... I "might" have made the cut-off, and Canada Post "might" deliver it in 1-day instead of the 2-day delivery standard. (although that is rare ... more often their 2-day delivery standard is missed and it only arrives on the 3rd day!). Have my fingers crossed though :)

szai

A spare SV3? A spare modded coil? A spare set of plates? (Just wondering ... :lol: )

On another note ... to everyone that bought a coil and plates ... I know we never discussed warranty ... but here's what I can do:

1. If for whatever reason your plates don't work, send them back, and I can make adjustments accordingly if required, or I could produce another set if need be. (obviously I couldn't produce a replacement set for everyone ... but pretty sure that won't be required ... :lol: )

2. For the coils, although they initially have a 1 year warranty from High5, that is obviously voided as soon as you cut them apart :) ... @PlanetVape has given me a good price on coils, so should your coil fail, send it back to me and I will repair @ cost. This would be ~$30 I believe for a burnt coil and ~$15-$20 if the thermocouple needs to be replaced. I would hope the connector could be re-used. Anyways ... what it comes down to is I will warranty the labour for 1 year.

3. I have tested everyone's coil as far as I plugged them in to an XLR port (I built an adapter cable so I can re-map my pins however required to test different coil wirings). I tested that the thermocouple was reading a signal, and that it moved in the right direction and was reading a sensible temperature (ie. it started at ~ room temp and heated it up when I held it in my fingers), and I also very briefly turned on the coil, just long enough for it to start heating to confirm the wiring was correct. I would recommend nonetheless, assuming your controller has an on/off switch for the coil as well as the controller, start with the coil OFF and make sure you are getting a temperature reading--if you are not then the coil was damaged in transit or you did not have the wiring you thought you had (although I don't think this is likely ... one was a High5 wiring and all others were standard d-nail wiring)

Cheers!
JCat

Edit:

Thanks @Alexis ... you always are so generous with your compliments ... it's not just about helping though ... it's about the enjoyment I get participating in the community and this is part of that ... a way I can give back and work on something I'm interested in and passionate about ... it's not all out of good will :) ... the bit of money too allows me to re-invest that into prototypes, as well as other vapes and accessories, so I don't have to feel too guilty about it :lol:

@biohacker might get his for the weekend ... anything's possible ... I "might" have made the cut-off, and Canada Post "might" deliver it in 1-day instead of the 2-day delivery standard. (although that is rare ... more often their 2-day delivery standard is missed and it only arrives on the 3rd day!). Have my fingers crossed though :)

Well from you a spare set of plates the idea would be to have a spare jcatsv3 minus the coil for now.

@Alexis a spare jcat would be interesting we could have on do portable development and the can work on desktop development. More jcat and vapor for everybody! I

JCat

Accessory Maker
Here's another quick update for everyone since I got asked in a PM but thought maybe it would be useful information just generally for everyone in here.

My PID settings (on my High5 LCD #1, so uses an Omron E5CC) are as follows:

P = 8.9
I = 61
D = 10

I'll try to get around to putting my other cheaper High5 (LED #1) back together and will test it as well with the same PID settings to see how it correlates (I know it didn't do as well after auto-tuning as this one does, but it's not just the PID values, as most of these controllers don't implement a straight textbook PID algorithm ... that's part of it, but they also implement a # of other features in it to improve the tracking in real-world situations ... there are whole books, numerous ones, written on just this subject)

If it does "well" with the above values, better than the auto-tuning results for example, then this would indicate that these are just generally good values likely across many (or most?) controllers.

Alexis

Well from you a spare set of plates the idea would be to have a spare jcatsv3 minus the coil for now.

@Alexis a spare jcat would be interesting we could have on do portable development and the can work on desktop development. More jcat and vapor for everybody! I
You just gave me an equally good idea- how about a spare Ed?! I hear the amazing new 2101 model ACTUALLY GIVES A HOOT! (And- it comes with everything you need right out of the box. INCLUDING a conscience! ) :lmao:

Last edited:

biohacker

You just gave me an equally good idea- how about a spare Ed?! I hear the amazing new 2101 model ACTUALLY GIVES A HOOT! (And- it comes with everything you need right out of the box. INCLUDING a conscience! ) :lmao:

Can you believe i'm STILL out my money for the SV4?! :bang:

@JCat - i'm going to need some technical support on this, like dumbed down step by step instructions on how to calibrate or set the PID settings. That's why I bought the same controller as you, figured it would just be easier!

Thanks again! :rockon:

szai

@JCat - i'm going to need some technical support on this, like dumbed down step by step instructions on how to calibrate or set the PID settings. That's why I bought the same controller as you, figured it would just be easier!

That explains things about you! Now I know why!:D

szai,
Reactions: JCat

biohacker

That explains things about you! Now I know why!:D

Not sure if I understand you, but I neglected to mention the incredible LCD display and the omron controller, and the fact that it was pretty much the best one available to me in Canada (otherwise would have went Auberins RDK300).

I've also auto tuned my FP, but this controller specifically has instructions that basically said "don't fuck with it" so I just figured JCat would have some brief simple instructions for everyone that bought the plates and coil.

JCat

Accessory Maker

Yep. No problem. I’ll post instructions for both High5 controllers as they both use standard PID controllers you’ll find in many, many enails.

Here’s a video everyone for how to install the plates and coil:

Edit:

this controller specifically has instructions that basically said "don't fuck with it" so I just figured JCat would have some brief simple instructions for everyone that bought the plates and coil.
Yeah ... not sure why they say that ... all of them should be tuned/configured based on what they are heating ... pretty big assumption that all nails etc heat the same!! :lol:

lazylathe

Almost there...
@JCat

Awesome video and super simple installation!!
Should be 5 minutes for most people and then good to go!
Nice mention of @biohacker towards the end! I hate it when i forget a part...
Lately it has been on XLR connectors...LOL!

Now i need a set of plates to test against the SV4...!!:)

Now we wait for all the videos!!!:popcorn::spliff::popcorn:

biohacker

Yeah ... not sure why they say that ... all of them should be tuned/configured based on what they are heating ... pretty big assumption that all nails etc heat the same!! :lol:

Thanks for the video tutorial! :tup: So for the PID, you mentioned because of the TC mod you made some adjustments to it? Or does an auto tune take care of that?
edit -
Sorry just realized you posted that you are going to post instructions lol

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks for the video tutorial! :tup: So for the PID, you mentioned because of the TC mod you made some adjustments to it? Or does an auto tune take care of that?
edit -
Sorry just realized you posted that you are going to post instructions lol
The auto-tune does take that into account as long as you auto-tune it with the modded coil and TC installed. You can likely just use the settings I have and save yourself the trouble. Could further adjust them if you wanted as well, but I’m happy with them at this point (you always have to find a balance between aggressive recovery and preventing overshoot, but I feel the Omron’s auto-tune does a really good job in this regard)

JCat

Accessory Maker
Patience @biohacker, patience :) ... to write that all out with pics of the buttons etc will take a while!!! (It's really simple though, honestly :)) ... I'll post full instructions later today. (Actually went to bed at a decent hour last night as opposed to my 2-4 hours of sleep as of late :lol:

I saw that expected delivery is tomorrow as well, but I wouldn't get your hopes up (it shows delivery standard as Monday which means I missed the cut-off, as if I had made it, the delivery standard would be Friday)

Edit: Instructions for Omron E5CC (ie. High5 LCD #1 and others)

Autotune:
  1. Press
    Sp10kg8.jpg
    button to enter adjustment level menu
  2. Use the
    v99rbh1.jpg
    aZyBmRK.jpg
    buttons to select "AT 2" setting. That will initialize the auto tune after a couple seconds. (to cancel, go back to "AT OFF")
  3. The "tune" signal will illuminate for the duration of the tuning.
  4. (You can press
    Sp10kg8.jpg
    button to go back to the main screen while it is tuning. When tuning is complete the "tune" signal will go off.)

Manually Enter PID Settings (Mine are P=8.9, I= 60, D=10)
  1. Press
    Sp10kg8.jpg
    button to enter adjustment level menu
  2. Press the
    domAT0y.jpg
    button to cycle through the menus until you get to the "P" (proportional gain) setting.
  3. Use the
    v99rbh1.jpg
    aZyBmRK.jpg
    buttons to select the "P" value, and you can use the
    mhFNPyH.jpg
    button to control which digit is selected (to speed up entering the value)
  4. When you change the value, it will flash, when you stop changing the value for a few seconds, it exits the selection mode and the value is set.
  5. Once the P value is set, use the
    domAT0y.jpg
    button to select the next menu setting, which is the "I" setting (integral). Set the value in the same way as above.
  6. Once the I value is set, use the
    domAT0y.jpg
    button to select the next menu setting, which is the "D" setting (derivative). Set the value in the same way as above.
  7. That's it. Press
    Sp10kg8.jpg
    button to exit the menu.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Here's the instructions for configuring the High5 LED #1 and many other cheaper PID controllers (you can find a PDF instruction manual online if you search for XMT7100 PID controller):

6A6Xtdm.jpg

Auto-tune:
  1. Press and hold the ">" button until the "OUT (AT)" light starts flashing
  2. When auto-tuning is complete the light turns off
  3. To cancel auto-tuning, press and hold the ">" button until the "OUT (AT)" light stops flashing

Manually Enter PID Settings
  1. Press and hold the "SET" (or circle) key until "0000" appears on the display.
  2. Use the arrow keys to change to "0036" and press the "SET" key again
  3. Press the "SET" button to begin adjusting the "P" value, and use the arrow keys to navigate and set the value
  4. Use the "SET" button to end adjusting the value
  5. Use the arrow keys to then select the I and D settings respectively and adjust their values in the same fashion
  6. When complete, use the arrow keys to navigate to the "End" setting, and use the "SET" button to select it and exit

Change From Fahrenheit to Celsius and Vice-Versa
  1. Press and hold the "SET" key until "0000" appears on the display.
  2. Use the arrow keys to change to "0089" and press the "SET" key again
  3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "CorF" setting
  4. Use the "SET" button to begin adjusting it, and the arrow keys to select "C" or "F"
  5. Press the "SET" button again to end adjusting it
  6. Navigate to the "End" setting using the arrow keys, and select it with the SET key to exit

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat were you able to switch the high5 LCD from F to C as well? Think that's the last piece of the puzzle and i'm good to go!
Yes. Super simple.

1. Press and hold the
    Sp10kg8.jpg
    button for at least 3 seconds to enter the initial settings menu
  2. Press the
    domAT0y.jpg
    button several times to cycle through the menus until you get to "d-U" (temperature unit) setting
  3. Use the
    v99rbh1.jpg
    aZyBmRK.jpg
    buttons to select C or F.

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat

How many mods have you let out into the wild so far?
Very interested in hearing other members full reports and hopefully some videos!
Do you have any plates/sets left?

I get the feeling @biohacker is going full concentrate now and looking into those types of setups as his daily driver.
10 mods out into the wild so far, 2 received (1 with a coil mod and 1 just plates). So far just positive feedback :tup:

I have 2 sets of plates left currently and enough material left on hand to manufacture another 4 sets.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@JCat, what are shipment costs to Germany?

BTW I'm such a slut I lost all my OG screens by Ed. Are they made out of ss wire? Intend to shape my own screens. Or ar there any advices for better solutions?

biohacker

I get the feeling @biohacker is going full concentrate now and looking into those types of setups as his daily driver.

Ding! Ding! Ding! :lol:

My sv3/e-mod is going to @szai for his backup! By far the best vaporizer i've ever used, but not stoked on these convection cotton dabs anymore.... just way too limited vs what i'll be able to achieve with a proper d-nail sic dish.

Top Bottom