Super efficient SSV wand idea

Xero

Blower said he would have one or maybe 2 things for me to try on Monday. I also told him there are smaller screens. He seemed pretty interested/excited to try some stuff out.

I think a smaller diameter but still have the big female end would be cool. First I told him just to try and recreate the wand I gave him but with a short bowl length.

Xero,

Xero

I think I have come to the conclusion that if you want SSV accessories then go to SSV. I ended up getting another wand made for me by a local blower. Here are some of my complaints on his work

1) Screen doesn't fit. The "patented" quick change crap actually I really like. The blower didn't see or didn't attempt to recreate this portion. I just have a bowl that narrows down

2) Tubing doesn't fit. The blower actually wants to go back to the org SSV design where the tube goes on the outside not the inside

3) Length I told him I wanted something at least as long as what I gave him. He came back with something even shorter than what I gave him.

Maybe I didn't explain this stuff to him but I know for sure 1/2 will not be a problem with anything from SSV. Overall I am disappointed with his work. I gave him a wand to take and compare when he was making stuff. I don't know how to blow glass. I might be thinking he can make it too scientific (ie exactly 6.5 inches in length) when this could be a really hard thing to achieve.

I was kicking around ideas about a smaller diameter wand. He didn't seem as excited as when I first talked to him. I would think in order for him to make something that would work I should get him a replacement heat cover/wand he can have for reference. I don't know if making this investment for him is worth it. I really don't want to change the design of the wand. I like the big open hole at the bottom for cleaning purposes. The money might be better spent on those miniwands from gotvape and maybe some stuff from SSV.

Xero,

B.

War Criminal
Xero said:
1) Screen doesn't fit. The "patented" quick change crap actually I really like. The blower didn't see or didn't attempt to recreate this portion. I just have a bowl that narrows down

2) Tubing doesn't fit. The blower actually wants to go back to the org SSV design where the tube goes on the outside not the inside

3) Length I told him I wanted something at least as long as what I gave him. He came back with something even shorter than what I gave him.
1)That sucks. I definitely want a diameter that will accomodate a readily available screen. And I want it small. 1/8 inch? 1/4 inch? diameter, and I want the length to be the size of a nice GONG bowl, because I always hit my SSV thru my bong.

2) I like the older tube on the outside design, it makes it much easier to attach my wand to my bong like a bowl.

3)I think this comes down to preference. I want what will basically be a GONG bowl that has the female end to connect to my ssv heating element, but with the diameter smaller than a pencil. You want a longer wand style. Sucks your guy got it wrong, hopefully he can make you a new one and learn from his mistakes.

I can't think of any reason the SSV can't be as efficient as the PD, but then, I'm no enginneer or physicist or anything. Anyone who knows about these things care to comment? Is this an impossible goal?

B.,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
B. -- I don't know that it is impossible, but the two units are designed differently for a different purpose. When you start to make them like the other you may fuck up what it already does so well.

Funny that we want to make our ssv more efficient and our pd hit harder! I ended up with both for when I want whatever.

stickstones,

Xero

stickstones said:
B. -- I don't know that it is impossible, but the two units are designed differently for a different purpose. When you start to make them like the other you may fuck up what it already does so well.

Funny that we want to make our ssv more efficient and our pd hit harder! I ended up with both for when I want whatever.
I have read a bunch of stuff on how the pd bowls are around 0.025-0.05g. I have been trying to keep track of how much I use in the SSV. It is always around 0.12-0.17. I was hoping to get the amount down to levels like the PD. But then again this is why I ordered a PD. I guess I am going to have to live with my ssv and normal wands.

B. I don't think this blower is technically capable of making what I want. He doesn't want to take a smaller tube and flair it out to the big female connection. Every complaint I had about the piece is something I thought I covered with him. The length which should be the easiest I told him I didn't want shorter than the current wand I gave him. When I got it back it was 1 - 1.5 inches shorter than what I wanted.

I think I ordered some small screens. I think they come in 3/4'' , 1/2'' and 3/8'' . SSV takes the middle one or 1/2'' the 3/8's should be a little smaller. Maybe the blower will be able to figure something out with the small screen.

Xero,

the electrician

What I would like to see is an adapted wand with say 5 loading cylinders running the length of the normal loading area. This idea is similar to the original small loading area plan in a way.

When vaporizing your goal is to maximise the surface area of your products that are in contact with the heat, i.e. in the direct airflow from the element. Currently people seem to favour packing, but I dont agree.

Rather, I suggest you finely ground and press before loading. Now what you have will be a number of flat pieces of condensed material, therein lie two benefits. First, condensed material always produces a higher vapour yield. Second, flat lengths of material can be formed into shapes of great surface area (consider concentric cylinders), this is key.

Ideally, i would like to see, for the sake of argument, five small cylinders to be ideally filled with pressed sift, pressed in such a way tat it coats the walls of the chambers. Now, surface area=5.pi.d.l where d is the diameter of each cylinder and l the length. All pretty simple, pi.d is the circumference of a circle, multiply by the length to bring it into 3 dimensions finally there are five chambers.

Your input is encouraged, if you want I will supply pictures. I hope i dont come across as another armchair mathematician stoner, i do hold a degree in the subject, though my interests were in algebra. If my ideas are off I will be slightly embarrassed.

the electrician,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
Xero said:
stickstones said:

I have read a bunch of stuff on how the pd bowls are around 0.0025-0.005g. I have been trying to keep track of how much I use in the SSV. It is always around 0.12-0.17. I was hoping to get the amount down to levels like the PD. But then again this is why I ordered a PD. I guess I am going to have to live with my ssv and normal wands.

B. I don't think this blower is technically capable of making what I want. He doesn't want to take a smaller tube and flair it out to the big female connection. Every complaint I had about the piece is something I thought I covered with him. The length which should be the easiest I told him I didn't want shorter than the current wand I gave him. When I got it back it was 1 - 1.5 inches shorter than what I wanted.

I think I ordered some small screens. I think they come in 3/4'' , 1/2'' and 3/8'' . SSV takes the middle one or 1/2'' the 3/8's should be a little smaller. Maybe the blower will be able to figure something out with the small screen.
You added one too many 0's after the decimal. That would be impossibly small!

Pseudonymous,

Xero

Pseudonymous said:
You added one too many 0's after the decimal. That would be impossibly small!
My bad yea it is like 0.025g or 0.05g. I have been trying to keep track of the SSV bowls I do. And at the high end I do around .18g on the low end I have done .07g. Mind you I am weighing this after it comes out.

Xero,

Xero

the electrician said:
Rather, I suggest you finely ground and press before loading. Now what you have will be a number of flat pieces of condensed material, therein lie two benefits. First, condensed material always produces a higher vapour yield. Second, flat lengths of material can be formed into shapes of great surface area (consider concentric cylinders), this is key.

Ideally, i would like to see, for the sake of argument, five small cylinders to be ideally filled with pressed sift, pressed in such a way tat it coats the walls of the chambers. Now, surface area=5.pi.d.l where d is the diameter of each cylinder and l the length. All pretty simple, pi.d is the circumference of a circle, multiply by the length to bring it into 3 dimensions finally there are five chambers.

Your input is encouraged, if you want I will supply pictures. I hope i dont come across as another armchair mathematician stoner, i do hold a degree in the subject, though my interests were in algebra. If my ideas are off I will be slightly embarrassed.
I have been thinking about this since I saw you post something in the PD thread about grinding and then pressing. I can't figure out how your 5 chamber Idea would work? How would you even load 5 little discs into a steam? Only way I can think of is by stacking them.

Here is some armchair math for ya.
You are talking about surface area. Shouldn't we really be talking about volume? The idea of little discs intrigues me. I have a pollen press so I might experiment with a disc or 2 and see how it works out.

Xero,

the electrician

surface area to volume ratios are what you want kept low as possible. In a theoretic setting i could make a vapour cloud so bit and so potent it could kill a man by manipulating the surface using some rusty topology or something equally pretentious and over complicated. Anyway, if we wok with a current wand for the time being and press, ideally our product into rectangles the length of the tube. We could then insert many of our rectangles into the tube. Now each will have a surface area of 2.w.l (width and length) and think of how many you could fit in.

Pollen press - ideal. I'm using two razor blades together, it works.

Here is a picture:
newwand.jpg

imagine the highlighted area has been repeated a number, n-1 times around itself. So now you have n of those thin tubes in place of 1 large one, if you see what im saying

haha yea also im glad someone actually noticed that. Sometimes in those big threads the smaller point will get lost in the swell of posts riding the central topic.

the electrician,

Xero

riddle me this. If you did have a bunch of really thin disc or tubes in a bowl wouldn't it only last one or 2 hits? I think the whole appeal of a the loose flora is that stirring it exposes "new" area to the heat.

Xero,

the electrician

I'm using similarly small amounts (see the extreme part 2 thread) and it produces about 3 HUGE hits, so big i coughed pretty much right off the bat. That's about 4 big hits or maybe 5 good sized/medium hits. By the end it was totally brown, couldnt get any more out. It didn't catch fire, just stopped making vapour which was nice.

the electrician,

tuttle

the electrician said:
When vaporizing your goal is to maximise the surface area of your products that are in contact with the heat, i.e. in the direct airflow from the element. Currently people seem to favour packing, but I dont agree.

...Ideally, i would like to see, for the sake of argument, five small cylinders to be ideally filled with pressed sift, pressed in such a way tat it coats the walls of the chambers.
Hmm, what is the advantage of having five chambers rather than just throwing 5 disks into the current bowl? Seems a little Rube Goldberg to me. The SSV has a narrow airstream, so you still are going to need to rotate the wand about. On top of that, you couldn't have a screen.

I think what you are not taking into account is that just ground up, there is an incalculably large amount of surface area, like fractal math big. All those bud surfaces are still exposed to the hot air stream.

The Solo / one hit wand wasn't intended to allow greater packing, it was simply to hold a smaller volume more efficiently in the air stream without it flutter about out of the reach of vapor temp air (because remember, the SSV has a pretty narrow stream).

tuttle,

Xero

I tried using .12 in the pollen press waited a half an hour. It was ok i think the same ammount not compressed vapes better. Maybe i should have waited longer in the press.

Xero,

the electrician

tuttle said:
The Solo / one hit wand wasn't intended to allow greater packing, it was simply to hold a smaller volume more efficiently in the air stream without it flutter about out of the reach of vapor temp air (because remember, the SSV has a pretty narrow stream).
If you had a number of these you would have something even more efficient.

If you want a simpler way, just insert a cross that spans the length of the bowl. This would split the bowl into four, pack each and achieve a load extra surface area. Screens at either end

What you will also find that when ground the surface area is nothing like you think it is. At rest (no pull), assuming no contact between any two pieces of ground goodness you would have maximum area. When you draw on it the herbs are pulled accordingly. Initially the heat will hit exposed lower side of the herb mass, then dissipate through. A greatly reduced surface area.

In a number of ideally packed (around the circumference) tubes, not only is the SA greater than a normal bowl at rest, it remains that way throughout heating and less is used over all. if you get what im gerrin

Fractals dont have much to do with it, I did a project on Mandelbrot unfortunately. Mind you, could you create some fractals out of your crystals you'd be enjoying infinitely long bowls.

I use pretty small amounts when pressing, or form it over a larger area

the electrician,

Snuff

I successfully finished assembling of my new DBV with a small bowl like the PD has. All metal parts are custom made.

Here is what I have got:

Snuff,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Nice Buddah mod , does the unit itself get hotter with the new attachments , can you change back to original parts easily , nice job :cool:

Samsquanch,

Snuff

The dis? gets very hot, but it helps to minimize temperature fluctuations of the airflow during inhaling.

You can install original parts, but you have to disassemble almost all unit.

Snuff,

daddygreenjeans

Med Card Holder
Glass blower needed to make SSV/Buddha "small bowl" wands

So I've been on this thread for maybe a month. Bought my Buddha right away and love it but it needs a smaller bowl.

I know there is PLENTY of folks on FC.com that have similar interests.

Is anyone in here a glass blower? I know CDome is... but he's hella busy with the PD stems right? CDome, would you be willing to make us wands ????

Come on folks, lets work together and see what we can come up with.

Modnote: Merged.

daddygreenjeans,

steiner666

Serial vapist
panasonic said:
Can someone measure the internal diameter of the mini wand?
not accurately, because i dont have the tools, but its not much wider than say... an average pen, like a Bic pen.

steiner666,
Top Bottom