Super efficient SSV wand idea

B.

War Criminal
This is an excerpt from an email to tokinGLX, but its a cool idea so I thought I'd see what the rest of you think, or if anyone has a good way to macgyver somethin to modify my existing wand.

What I want is a wand with a much smaller loading area for my stuff, about the width of the hole in the heater cover, a couple of inches deep so I could still load a fatty if I want. Maybe just modify a current wand by adding glass into the bowl of the wand creating the smaller space?I'm thinkin around the diameter of a pen or smaller. I believe this smaller area would allow me to get much thicker hits out of smaller loads. Another detail I'd like is the for the tip of the wand to be like the old style wand where the tubing went on the outside of the wand. Let me know if you want some pics of my old wand for reference. I like this style just because using a very small piece of tubing it fits perfectly with my bong. I'd also like to keep it under 4 or 5 inches because I want to keep it as short as possible.

I think this would be a great product for them to sell considering the demand there is for super efficient vaping. Imagine how many people would throw down $50 or $100 to get a near PD style experience. And without the 9 week wait :p

B.,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
I'd try a smaller diameter wand.. I'd contact a custom blower. I was thinking for the DBV since it uses gong connections to get a bushing adapter and get a 14mm wand made... I think it'd work well.

aznfknpride,

B.

War Criminal
Damn, thats close...in for 1, worth a try. I still hope 7th floor can make me a cool custom piece with an even skinnier bowl.

Snuff...thats one fancy...picture?sketch?plan? either way, it's clear you mean business :)

(Edit : I'm clearly ripped...I just now noticed the drawing is in russian :ko: )

B.,

Snuff

Yes, my draft is in russian, but it can clearly show what I want to get.
When I finish designing of a new DBV wand I wiil ask a turner to make them for me.
After that I'll show you pictures of this construction in metal and tell how it actually works.

Snuff,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
I understand what you want to do, but with such a narrow passage for air?. The PD is already hard enough to pull air through a packed stem, adding a "couple inches" of length to a 1/4" diameter bowl will give you a headache and be a most unsatisfying vap experience.

DeepFried,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I think that would only be a problem if you packed the herb into the wand. My experience with wands is you dont pack it as tightly as you would a PD. so the airflow would not be as restricted. The PD would be an extremely tight fight when compared too whips, regardless of inner diameter of the whip. Now, if you were trying too shove a gram or two into the whip, then you could compare it.

DevoTheStrange,

Snuff

The bowl's size is 7x10 mm (1/4(d)x1/2.5(l) inches).
Capacity of this bowl is about 0.03 g. With the new bowl effectiveness of DBV will be the same as PD.
But DBV has a great advantage - variable temperature of the heater.

Snuff,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
yeah 10mm long is much shorter than a few inches, should work great with the right screen.

DeepFried,

taggs

Cameron
I would be super interested in something like this.

I use my SSV much more than my PD, but there are times when I wish the efficiency was better.

Keep us posted!

taggs,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
heat to 11:30

14mm bushing adapter

pd stem

TKO :cool:

edit: hope i didnt awaken a beast here ;) and this is only for ground joint/dbv :ko:

MrMistyTokes,

B.

War Criminal
That is a damn fine plan, and I'm a little pissed I didn't come up with it. Tokin said he's gonna be talking to 7th floor soon, so I hope they get me a glass version, but if for some reaon they are unable to I am def gonna try your plan. Silver-Days!! (Or Purple Surfer...).

As far as the draw through such a narrow passage being difficult, I really don't see that as being a problem. It will still be wider than a pd stem, and I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the PD, but it doesn't
seem too airflow friendly, but the SSV is super easy to move air through. I agree that as long as I'm not jamming a gram into a space meant to hold .1 i should be cool.

If this takes off and becomes a regular product 7th floor sells, I'm officially requesting we name it the
B-Wand. Or Obi Wand Kinobi. (No, i'm not a starwars fanboy, just a fan of corny word play). But seriously. B-Wand.

B.,

Snuff

Here is the final version of the redesigned DBV:

Parts are in production now and I think you will see pictures of the new DBV and read my test report very soon.

Snuff,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
B. said:
That is a damn fine plan, and I'm a little pissed I didn't come up with it. Tokin said he's gonna be talking to 7th floor soon, so I hope they get me a glass version, but if for some reaon they are unable to I am def gonna try your plan. Silver-Days!! (Or Purple Surfer...).
Mine is the purple surfer!

knob.jpg

Pseudonymous,

tuttle

I actually sent the reduced bowl diameter idea to Steve at 7th floor over the summer to see if I could get a custom commission piece. I recommended using 3/8" screens as they are commercially available, and would give a bowl diameter of 1/4". He expressed interest in it, and said he might offer it, but it would take him a while to get to it. I haven't heard anything from him yet, so he either lost interest, found it not to be viable, or forgot, so if other people drop him a line asking for it, it might get a little more attention.

What I sent him:
SoloWand.jpg

tuttle,

B.

War Criminal
Great pic, thats exactly what i want. Considering 7th floor seems to perpetually have their hands full, maybe I'll have a better chance commisioning an unrelated glass blower to whip one up for me(pun most definitely intended). Luke Wilson will be getting an email from me shortly :)

B.,

Xero

I just put an email into 7th floor a couple days ago. I wanted to know how much experimentation they did with the wand bowl length. I was thinking it might be better for solo use if the bowl was 1/2 to maybe 1/4 of the current length. I guess I will contact some local blowers and see what I can get done for me.

Xero,

Frickr

glad my countless hours surfing the net out of boredom could help someone out! :lol:

Frickr,

B.

War Criminal
So I've used the mini wand I got from vapor warehouse. First time I've gotten anything from them, went smooth as can be. I bought the mini whip and a cool dentist's tool lookin thing for stirring bowls for less than $20 including shipping.

I really like the mini wand. Its just a little wider than the stream of hot air, which I like. But what I'm really looking for is something the same width or smaller. The glass feels delicate, not hefty like the standard SSV wand, but for the price and size it wasn't a surprise and I don't see it being an issue.

I attach it to my bong, and I am definitely able to get the thick vapor I like without having to load nearly as much as I do in my full sized wand. I'm taking this as a sign that I'm on the right path. I wonder if I could just use those new pd mini stems made for bongs.

If anyone has a PD, a bong and an SSV - Will you try hitting your pd stem in your bong with your ssv instead of your pd? That'd be awesome if by using the stem I could get PD like efficiency using my surfer. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work. Any thoughts?

B.,

Xero

B. said:
Xero, if your local blowers are able to produce somethin nice I'll probably want one too.

Thanks to Frickr, I ordered this :

http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/vbminiwhip.html

I should recieve it tomorrow, I'll post impressions in the next few days.
I talked with a blower today. He is willing to do stuff for a around how much I wanted to pay. I am going to try to get a smaller distance bowl first. I am also going to ask him to try and make a thinner wand that will take the smaller standard screen but have the same female piece. I will experiment this guy seems interested show I will keep you updated how it goes. I am dropping off a standard ssv wand tomorrow so I should have a new one in around a week.

Xero,

B.

War Criminal
Dude thats awesome. If it's cool I will definitely buy one. I'm thinking it doesn't even need to resemble a wand. I just want a chunky gong bowl that can connect to the SSV, whose bowl is thin(PD stem tip thin) but longer. Can you ask your blower if that's do-able?

B.,

Xero

B. does the miniwand you ordered take the same screen as the standard ssv wand? If you could get a thicker version of that miniwand would you be happy? I need to try and track down some 3/8'' screens b/c I think that would be the best like tuttle suggested.

Xero,

B.

War Criminal
It's definitely a smaller diameter than the ssv wand...my stoner ass has somehow lost the mini wand...when I find it I'll get you a measurement. If I had to guess I'd say half and inch.

A thick miniwand would be cool, but what I'm really lookin for is something with about half the diameter.

B.,
Top Bottom