Suggestions on what to buy?

aero18

vaporist
I've got some money to spend and I'm wondering what to buy. I was looking at some brewery kits for around 100 dollars. I'm not much of a drinker but the occassional beer is nice. :brow:

I would rather spend some money on something related to cannabis. I own the vapes on my sig and don't really need another one. I have a space case grinder and a couple of glass pipes. I am not really interested in any water pipes.

What do you think I should spend my money on? I have about $250 to work with.

aero18,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Perhaps some nice glass jars for storage

A billy bowl? A nice stash box or one of thse stash pillows

How about one of those wooden pollen boxes?? (Someone gave me one and I'm clueless)

A foodsaver with jar sealer (LOVE MINE)

A Vapor T-Shirt (Again, love mine :D )

BHO Extraction stuff (on my wishlist)

Okay....running out of ideas!!! How about $$ towards travel to the next hemp fest?? LMAO!!!

Good luck, I hope you find something that makes you happy with it :D

Lo,

Lo

I know you said you don't need another vape but man.... A PD would be calling my name if I didn't have one and another one ordered :D Good luck!!!

Lo,

FEAR420

lo said:
How about one of those wooden pollen boxes?? (Someone gave me one and I'm clueless)
Put your herbs in & shake it around to collect the keif in the bottom drawer. If you want more...break it up a lil bit before you throw it in the box.

FEAR420,

Lo

Thanks Fear!! I figured it was something like that but I've never had one... Something else to try for fun!

Lo,

rayski

FEAR420 said:
lo said:
Put your herbs in & shake it around to collect the keif in the bottom drawer. If you want more...break it up a lil bit before you throw it in the box.
Freeze the herb for 30min. before shaking for more kief.

rayski,

aero18

vaporist
For those who own the LB and the PD, which do you prefer? Which one is more efficient?

I'm thinking that a PD and a future electrical outlet cord for the LB would be something that I could spend my money on. The wait time is terrible though. I would get the PD near next quarter's finals... :/

aero18,

Lo

I think the PD would be a purchase you would NOT regret and wouldn't need to buy extra batts/charger/cord/etc. I have and love both for different reasons but my PD gets WAY more use!! It is the one that would need to be pried from my cold, dead hands.... The PD is very efficient straight up. The LB I've found is pretty darn efficient if you vape, then unload, crumble finely and reload again it does the job of extracting the goodies in my opinion.

The LB I was able to give to my sister and wait for another to be delivered. The PD, I would NOT have done that even without the wait time. Super conservative too so that's a plus but it is my daily driver. I literally cannot fathom having to go without it :2c:

Whatever you decide I hope you'll enjoy :D

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Look into getting the brew kit gets my vote. You will get your basic kit with fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, and all other necessary tools (i.e. auto siphon, hydrometer, etc) The only thing you will need is your brew kettle. Homebrewing is a rewarding hobby even if you dont drink a whole lot.

Personally, I dont drink a whole lot either (just on a regular basis) I like to enjoy a pint or two of my delicious brew almost every night. (Not to mention - brewing is the lazy mans hobby)

If you are set on the vape scene, try your hand at brewing a couple of batches. Ive been into it for over a year and I absolutely love it. Shoot me a PM if you have any ?s!

AGBeer,

Beezleb

In all fairness Lo the LB is designed as a portable vape and not a desktop vape. It is wholly apples to oranges kind of thing.

Aero, a PD will wholly operate better in comparison to a PD but a PD does not operate on two rechargeable batteries and even when they come out with a plug in for the LB it will not even come close to the PD and the PD will never come close the LB portability. Its a trade off kind of thing.

Beezleb,

vape4health

PD or LB , I would have to say you almost need both .

I got some christmas cash today too , I was looking to see if anyone posted something super great that I just got to have .

vape4health,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
AGBeer said:
Look into getting the brew kit gets my vote. You will get your basic kit with fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, and all other necessary tools (i.e. auto siphon, hydrometer, etc) The only thing you will need is your brew kettle. Homebrewing is a rewarding hobby even if you dont drink a whole lot.
What is the smell like involved in brewing beer? Is it anything on the same scale like making wine?

Happycamper,

flanman

Happycamper said:
AGBeer said:
What is the smell like involved in brewing beer? Is it anything on the same scale like making wine?
my friend does it and his mom was telling me how when he cooks the hops it stinks up the whole place like hops. i'll ask him what books he has for brewing, they seem to come in handy.

flanman,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Happycamper said:
AGBeer said:
No... In fact I would go so far as to say that I am fascinated by the smell of beer.
The smell of the grains when you cut open the bag.
The smell of the grains when they are mashing.
The smell of the wort when you begin to bring it to a boil.
Opening the vacuum packed bag of hops and taking that first beautiful whiff.
Then the smell of it all coming together - adding the hops to the beautiful smelling wort... Gawd. Those smells rule. (The fermentation process is not an unpleasurable smell either)

Wine on the other hand can be a different story. The sulphites are what make it stink (if I understand correctly) I have made a beverage called Apfelwein several times, and that stuff stinks to high heaven of sulphur for the first couple of weeks.
The homebrewers term is 'Rhino Farts'

Beer is a different animal though :)

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
flanman said:
Happycamper said:
AGBeer said:
my friend does it and his mom was telling me how when he cooks the hops it stinks up the whole place like hops. i'll ask him what books he has for brewing, they seem to come in handy.
Another thing to take into consideration is - hops and sativa are close cousins.
That smell might not be so unpleasureable :)

John Palmer makes a good HB book, although www.homebrewtalk.com gets my vote as an infinite resource for brewing.

Good luck!

AGBeer,

flanman

AGBeer said:
Another thing to take into consideration is - hops and sativa are close cousins.
That smell might not be so unpleasureable :)
i actually mentioned that in a paper i wrote this past semester;)

flanman,

aero18

vaporist
I decided against buying a Purple Days vape and the electrical outlet adapter for the LB when it is released. Even though I would love the PD, the cost is too much for me to spend on just one unit. Although being an unemployed student has offered me more time to spend on my studies (and recreational activities :brow:), money is tight because of it.

I've decided on a MZ instead. I don't think I will be dissapointed. I would rather go for a model that is not made out of brass, but nonetheless the myrtlewood used in the vape is a fascinating hardwood and will make up for that minor let down. :)

With the extra money I can buy a small, inexpensive soft glass water pipe (even though I said I was previously uninterested in buying a water pipe). The rest of the money will be saved for the time being.

AGBeer: Thanks for your input. I'll definitely consider buying a brew kit sometime in the near future. Perhaps when I have my own appartment. I do have one question for you though. Is it possible to buy malt extract if you are under the age of 21? I'll look into more 'serious' methods of making the wort after I've started a few batches on the extract since it appears to be an easy introductory method.

To everyone else: Thanks for all of your valuable insights and recommendations! They were very much appreciated. Happy New Years! :D

aero18,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
aero18 said:
AGBeer: Thanks for your input. I'll definitely consider buying a brew kit sometime in the near future. Perhaps when I have my own appartment. I do have one question for you though. Is it possible to buy malt extract if you are under the age of 21? I'll look into more 'serious' methods of making the wort after I've started a few batches on the extract since it appears to be an easy introductory method.
Extract is a great way to get started in the world of homebrewing. And the 'more advanced' methods can be overhyped by some as well. Extract batches can make some killer beer as well. I just prefer All Grain as its less expensive, and I get to enjoy more facets of the brewday that I wouldnt get if I used extract.

Honestly, I dont think there is any law pertaining to the sale of malt extract and hops to minors. (Or those under 21) You arent buying alcohol, and in essence, you are just buying 'sugar' that is a little more fermentable friendly than your regular table blends.

A couple of pieces of advise for extract brewing -
If you can, get DME (Dry Malt Extract) it tends to be less affected in the 'freshness' dept than LME (Liquid Malt Extract) Not to mention, it stores easier and can be added to a recipe to boost your gravity readings if needed.

Scrap the instructions listed on the box. 5-7 days in the primary then a transfer to the secondary is okay in theory, but also exposes your beer to the risk of oxidation. (Wet cardboard flavor) Leave it in the primary for 1 month plus. The secondary vessel is used for racking on to fruit or oak cubes. (Or for starting yet another batch of some Apfelwein) :p Also - either do a full boil or late extract addition. Both will result in a better tasting beer.

Shit, got off on a brewing tangent. Sorry :p

AGBeer,

aero18

vaporist
Other than the internet, where could I buy the dry/wet malt extracts? I would assume that you could find them in liquor stores but how about grocery stores? Are they sold there as well?

aero18,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
You might want to search for a local homebrew store in your area.
Here are a few - (dont know exactly where you live but...)

Homebrew Heaven
9109 Evergreen Way
Everett, WA 98204

Jims Homebrew
2619 North Division Street
Spokane, WA 99207-2189
(509) 328-4850

The Cellar Homebrew
14320 Greenwood Avenue N.
Seattle, WA 98133

http://www.wahomebrewers.org/joomla...ent&task=category&sectionid=5&id=17&Itemid=58

Shit, just follow that link - it has a good list.

No, a grocery store wont have what you are looking for in regards to homebrewing supplies. Your best bet would be your LHBS (Local HB Store) Be advised though, LHBS's tend to be a bit more expensive than some places online. My favorite is Austin Homebrew Supply. www.austinhomebrew.com They have LOTS of recipe kits as well as individual ingredients etc...
Good luck bud!

AGBeer,

aero18

vaporist
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out a local home brew store in Olympia with my father then... :)

aero18,

reece

aero18 said:
I've decided on a MZ instead. I don't think I will be dissapointed. I would rather go for a model that is not made out of brass, but nonetheless the myrtlewood used in the vape is a fascinating hardwood and will make up for that minor let down. :)
Are you getting a "primo" Zap?

reece,

aero18

vaporist
reece said:
aero18 said:
Are you getting a "primo" Zap?
I think the none primo myrtlezaps look fine. Almost like a blonde cherry wood. Because of that I will just go for the normal one and save up for an ehle or something similar.

aero18,
Top Bottom