Suggestions for a glass piece

Lou

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place but it seemed like the best section. I just picked up a Da buddha about 2 weeks ago, and have liked it so far, but am looking for a water piece that can hooked up to it, as well as be used on its own.

Preface: I have had a few sub 150$ pieces, none with percs or anything fancy so I can't comment on whether I would prefer tree, dome, spiral or showerhead, in the tube or in an ashcatcher. I've read through many threads here and people seem to split between standalone bubblers, and tubes.

So far I have semi-decided on a few qualities.
-Tube (beaker bottom, or the most stable/least prone to break)
-12-18 inches at the max
-Under 150 (I know, low price point, but have seen some pretty good pieces under this price)
-Can have percs, or the addition of a percolated ash catcher would be nice.
-must have ice.

I have found about 5 tubes I am considering.
On the cheaper end,
1). Generic 5mm tube, $50 http://www.gogopipes.com/Glass_Water_Pipes_Glass_On_Glass_Water_Pipes.html
2). Plain C2 beaker http://www.brotherswithglass.com/C2_Custom_Creations_Beaker_Clear_p/bwg-cc3c.htm
3). Beaker from SSFG $85
http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=72
4). Zob beaker 110 http://www.brotherswithglass.com/Zob_14_in_Blue_Label_Beaker_Water_Pipe_p/bwg-zg14bk.htm
5). Tree perc syn 120 http://www.brotherswithglass.com/SYN_Rasta_Label_Double_Perc_p/bwg-synp18-ras.htm

Possibly an EHLE tube? Black leaf has some nice pieces, but opinions seem mixed around here. Suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

-Lou

Lou,

SD_haze

The new black leaf designs are assuredly better than almost everything on gogopipes. Can't go wrong with an EHLE.

However, with your price range, you might want to wait and pick up one of the semi-official FC Bubblers.
I know you said tube, but so far the prototypes that have come out are pretty much a bubbler base with a tube's mouthpiece, so its a good best of both worlds.

Lev has said he will have a disk bub for ~$150 and a showerhead for ~$120, while planetvape's showerhead bub is quoted @ $160

Honestly, these puppies are shaping up to be a much better value than most internet pieces in the under-$200 range. Planetvape is still prototyping so could be a number of weeks til you can actually buy one...the Lev bubblers are talked about being ready to purchase pretty soon, but there have been plenty of delays so i wouldn't bet on it being for-sure.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-unofficial-fc-bubbler-thread.6531/

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-fc-bubbler-by-planetvape.6969/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/leviathan-pipes-inexpensive-american-glass.5577/

There's also a third FC bub coming out by the VaporBrother company, but is also still in-development.

SD_haze,

Lou

There's also a third FC bub coming out by the VaporBrother company, but is also still in-development.

I have been reading about those fc bubblers, but
I have a few reservations about the bubbler, and or bubblers in general.

a). The terminology is confusing: I don't know the difference between all the different diffusion types, much less bubble stacking and all that.
b). the mouthpieces add a joint that seems easy to break if tipped over or dropped.
c). I would rather go with a piece better to combust out of(seems like most prefer the bubblers to connect to a vape), which may or may not be a tube.
d). bubblers just seem much more expensive because they are more intricate designs in a smaller package.

also, bubblers seem much harder to add ashcatchers to and as a result, harder to clean if used to combust.
I'd like to check out leviathan's tubes as well but there's no storefront.

also my local hs has some ok pieces, but have mostly grav labs with an 18in (no addons) for around 160 if I remember.

Lou,

SD_haze

I have been reading about those fc bubblers, but
I have a few reservations about the bubbler, and or bubblers in general.

a). The terminology is confusing: I don't know the difference between all the different diffusion types, much less bubble stacking and all that.
b). the mouthpieces add a joint that seems easy to break if tipped over or dropped.
c). I would rather go with a piece better to combust out of(seems like most prefer the bubblers to connect to a vape), which may or may not be a tube.
d). bubblers just seem much more expensive because they are more intricate designs in a smaller package.

also, bubblers seem much harder to add ashcatchers to and as a result, harder to clean if used to combust.
I'd like to check out leviathan's tubes as well but there's no storefront.

also my local hs has some ok pieces, but have mostly grav labs with an 18in (no addons) for around 160 if I remember.
You are 100% right on two points.

A straight shooter bong without ice catchers and a removable downstem is the easiest possible cleaning situation. Without ice catchers, you can use a bottle brush or something stiffer to clean your piece without solvents, just hot water, with ease.
You said you need ice, and if you combust then I understand, but with that ice catcher, its pretty equal in cleaning to most simple bubblers.

two(D): it IS easier to mass produce a quality tube than quality bubblers. One example of that is the EHLE series... pretty perfect balance of affordability & brand safety & quality for the smaller tubes :2c:

If you truly plan to upgrade with an ash catcher/pre-cooler in the future, then I would suggest going with a affordable basic tube - no percs
That way you can use it with the one OR two filtrations, instead being forced to use two.

I'll make the terminology really simple:
For the basic tube, it just depends how the downstem is diffused. What I would suggest looking for is either german diffused (punched out holes) or a showerhead downstem.

It is common for cheap bongs to have non-diffused or easy horizontal "slits", which in my opinion makes the airflow not ideal for most vaporizers. German and showerheads pull much smoother.
Unfortunately the EHLE normally comes with a non-difffused downstem, and their diffused one is like $30 more. Getting a tube from SSFG you can upgrade any piece to a showerhead for a smaller fee.

showerhead
49hgi7lp.png

German:
IMGP3651.jpg

cheap slits - avoid
xxmaslanxx-93218-albums-12-bong-14mm-bowl-w-diffused-downstem-ice-catch-picture819659-no-holes-just-6-slits.jpg

Lou

Thanks for the clarification SD! The main reason I would prefer an ash catcher add-on would be to keep the tube cleaner, and shave the cost down.

I've narrowed it down to about 3 choices.
1). SSFG 12in beaker, w/showerhead downstem ~100?
2). EHLE 500 ml, with 30$ punched downstem ~110
3). Grav Labs 16in (http://cybershed.com/gravlabs-beaker-bottom-tube-p-1314.html) Comes with a showerhead downstem 100
My local hs had a bunch of grav labs but I cannot remember which models or what prices, but they were very nice and had several ash catcher add-ons

Lou,
I'm still waiting on my SSFG beaker, but their initial customer service has been fantastic.

kingofnull,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction

That's not a given. Projected costs, its not a sure thing, VB is still in the game. Though, they already do have some alternatives on the market.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: SD_haze

Lou

also looking at the leviathan hydra bent tube, just wish it was a beaker bottom. The m and m tech bubbler looks very nice and I'm sure it rips, but am drawn to a straight tube for some reason. Maybe get a c2 cheaper for 60, and the bub...

I just know nothing about diffusion really, so the upside-down reverse summersault showerhead just doesn't mean anything to me. Much less how hard it is to clean if combusted from. (more cleaning, more chances to break)

Lou,

dannkk

Honestly, I wouldn't be to hung up on getting a tube or using ice. Bubblers are much better for vaping, and with the diffusion they have, you don't really need ice when you combust out of them. Ice kills the flavor some, imo, anyway. Get the smoke to cold and you can't taste it anymore.

Honestly, I wouldn't be to hung up on getting a tube or using ice. Bubblers are much better for vaping, and with the diffusion they have, you don't really need ice when you combust out of them. Ice kills the flavor some, imo, anyway. Get the smoke to cold and you can't taste it anymore.

I agree. Though I like the effect of using ice, the vapor is significantly less flavorful when I use ice. Great for the end of a bowl, but not at the beginning when I want to really taste vapor.

kingofnull,

Lou

That is a good point. While I probably would not use ice every time (I know I wouldn't), having the option would be nice.
On the issue of flavor, I've never really sought after it too much, even after picking up vaping. However, I never understood how people would come to not being able to stand the taste of combusting or even pieces that had been combusted from. I have noticed that I just cannot hit any of my dry pieces anymore without having the absolute worst taste. I don't know if the product is too dry or what, but its intolerable. Even if the taste is nulled by ice, diffusion, or whichever, as long as its not like inhaling ash I'll be more than pleased. Ie, much more interested in cooling/moisturizing than anything.

I was set on the great sized beaker, but they bumped the price up, which puts the total with a showerhead near something like the m and m, or even this http://ssfgglass.com/shop/89-showerhead-beaker-with-showerhead-diffuser.html , which looks downright perfect. In the 150-175 range it would be between those two. (out of stock sadly :( )

Lou,
I have found SSFG is open to discounts on multiple items, so it might be worth it if they have anything else that interests you.

I'm definitely going to get the Leviathan bubbler, though I might wait for the showerhead if it diffuses well enough... and if more details are ever released.

There's a HVY beaker on sale in classifieds for $50 which is a really good price.

Also, you might consider looking into EHLE. Some of their pieces are really cheap.

kingofnull,

Lou

I have found SSFG is open to discounts on multiple items, so it might be worth it if they have anything else that interests you.

I'm definitely going to get the Leviathan bubbler, though I might wait for the showerhead if it diffuses well enough... and if more details are ever released.

There's a HVY beaker on sale in classifieds for $50 which is a really good price.

Also, you might consider looking into EHLE. Some of their pieces are really cheap.

I saw the hvy, although you can get the exact ones brand new for 50$. I like the lev bubbler, but the lack of when its available or storefront is disconcerting.

edit: ended up going with the Gravlabs 16in beaker. For 100 shipped, can't do much better for a 5mm us blown beaker with low-profile showerhead downstem. For another 70 i might pick up the phoenix ashcatcher and jhook for a portable.

SSFG must have been out of stock on the great size beaker, ah well. None of the ehles were in stock anwhere, and the hvy/syns were also out of stock most places.

Lou,

Lou

Still would've been worth to email them over at SSFG. You never know, mine wasn't in stock when I ordered it. Plus they'll just blow it for you next week.

Grav Labs has some cool looking stuff. I really like this http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/grav-labs-glass-basic-ash-catcher-90-degree-joint.html]Grav Labs Basic Ash Catcher[/url]. Their hammer bubblers look dope too.

hm, did not know that. I still might look to them for a few add ons. Grav just ticked the most boxes.

Lou,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Ray's (SSFG) Inlines (which are on sale for $90 right now)... is the inline perfected. I hated inlines, until I hit a SSFG.

I'm strongly considering their stemline hybrid for $135.

EDIT: She's obviously having technical difficulties with the site. She put up new stuff today and seems to have screwed up some links and the large inline isn't listed. Just hit her up on the contact page. She will typically answer within a few hours (not now... probably. She's awake, I doubt answering email though). But, she would probably respond on a Sunday to.

BigDaddyVapor,

Lou

was not aware thats how their site worked. I figured everything was first come-first serve, with everything being a limited run item. I went ahead and ordered the gravlabs before I found out. I still might order their small inline ac and/or bowl, but I have no doubts that Grav is still a good company and am excited to see how it performs.

Lou,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Oh heck. I wouldn't suggest, the Grav Labs would be a purchase to regret. They've got a lot of pieces I wouldn't mine owning. I hope to add something of theirs, some day.

Lou

Oh heck. I wouldn't suggest, the Grav Labs would be a purchase to regret. They've got a lot of pieces I wouldn't mine owning. I hope to add something of theirs, some day.

I have no doubt that it will be a solid piece. The only negative press I saw for grav was seemingly all about the stemless natural perc design, which could possibly just be a flawed design. Here's a pretty decent vid, minus the music, I found of their beaker and showerhead ds. Looks like it fires, milks, and clears nicely.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
While I do not like natural stemless percs, I think Grav Labs is about that last company that should receive criticism for it. They've pretty much perfected it. Not my style, but for the type of perc, this is sweet!

BigDaddyVapor,

Lou

Good point, I didn't imply that their design was flawed, I just did not understand the idea of a natural stemless design. I would say a gridded stemline would be the better, albeit more expensive, alternative.

Now just need to find a good ac. How does that small inline work with the j hook?

Lou,
yeah I looked at some grav labs stuff too. Like I said, I really like that ash catcher. It doesn't have much diffusion (or any reviews), but it's a nice small piece that looks perfect for stemless designs.

kingofnull,
Top Bottom