Suggested Fixes for New Forum

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
1) the blue dot that indicates new posts in a sub-forum is not blue enough -- it is barely discernable from the no-new-posts indicator.

2) the "greater than" sign in front of the thread title that takes me to "new posts" is not big enough ... too hard to click accurately/consistently with the fucking mouse.

everything else is okay, i guess.

Hippie Dickie,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
on your #2, just click the title as it works the same way the way they've set it up.

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
If you click the thread title when there are new posts, it should take you straight to those new posts. At least it does for me.

edit, haha beat me by seconds smokum

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I totally agree with nr one though, and I would also like to see linked-text in the green color it was before again. I always make it green manually now because I'm afraid people won't notice the subtle color difference and miss the link otherwise, lol.

OhTheAgony,

karazi

Please make it so that page numbers show under each thread. Right now you have to hover over the thread title to get them to show, which excludes mobile devices from being able to show the pages in a thread. It is a good indicator of popularity of a thread, to tell which device thread is official and which isn't, etc. On desktop it is one extra step to hover over each title to see the pgs, and you have to do it for every one which is very annoying. On mobile you have to enter the thread on page 1 then click the thread page number to go to the desired page, a wasteful additional effort.

karazi,

smokum

I searched for this forum on Tapatalk but it wouldn't find it.

Any way to fix that ?

smokum,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Please make it so that page numbers show under each thread. Right now you have to hover over the thread title to get them to show, which excludes mobile devices from being able to show the pages in a thread. It is a good indicator of popularity of a thread, to tell which device thread is official and which isn't, etc. On desktop it is one extra step to hover over each title to see the pgs, and you have to do it for every one which is very annoying. On mobile you have to enter the thread on page 1 then click the thread page number to go to the desired page, a wasteful additional effort.

On my iphone, the pages show up beneath the thread.
Does this not happen for your mobile device?
TBH, I hadn't noticed there weren't page indicators on the main version of the site as I'm on my iphone 95% of the time.
Here's a screenshot of how it looks on my iphone:

It does seem a bit silly to me that it doesn't just show up normally though.

Also, I may just be stupid, but can you still send an e-mail to another member?
I've just been using the conversation feature, but there are times when e-mail is better.

Frederick McGuire,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
You can still email people, but only if they've listed their email in their profile or signature. There is no longer a link. For those who would like emails rather than pm's, I would add your address to your signature. :2c:

momofthegoons,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
on your #2, just click the title as it works the same way the way they've set it up

Here's the problem with that configuration (i just realized) ... what if you want to see the very first post on the very first page? -- you can't get there from here.

Hippie Dickie,

smokum

What I've noticed, is that if you hover the thread (at the forum menu level), the page #'s appear, or if you hover the thread date (or just click on it) you will go to the first post.

smokum,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
when i try that i only see the last three page numbers. there is an ellipsis preceding these, but no page 1 in the lead.

edit ... okay, now i finally see. the date is the link to the first post. too nuanced for me.

okay, yeah, that works just fine. i guess i should read the manual.

Hippie Dickie,

u bwade wunner

I cant post on my android samsung galaxy S phone.Am I the only one? and animated avatars are not working.I like the youtube linker

u bwade wunner,

vape4life

Banned for life
Unusable on my iphone and edit button disappears too fast so sometimes back to back posts are necessary. Basically forced to break the rules lol

vape4life,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I cant post on my android samsung galaxy S phone.Am I the only one? and animated avatars are not working.I like the youtube linker

This forum software does not support animated avatars out of the box. While poking around the Xenforo forums I saw discussion of how to make it do this but I didn't pay enough attention to see if this is an easy fix or a difficult mod. You'll notice that it does support animated avatars in the popup that opens when you click on one.

pakalolo,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Unusable on my iphone and edit button disappears too fast so sometimes back to back posts are necessary. Basically forced to break the rules lol
What iPhone/ios are you using?
I mainly use my iPhone 4s and it mostly works fine...
It's only little things like the formatting bar to the top of the reply box is missing.

Frederick McGuire,

vape4life

Banned for life
iphone4 latest iOS. I understand formatting issues and missing sigs on it, don't really care. But it's sooo slow and choppy that it's unusable. For a quick emerg read of a post, it can do, but otherwise it's impossible to cope with. Again, this is the ONLY site i've ever had that issue with.

vape4life,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Please make it so that page numbers show under each thread.
I agree. Having them show up only when you hover over the thread is a completely pointless "feature", whether using a phone or desktop.

hazy,

TheKeeper

Former Combuster
Please, please post subcategories for each vaporizer or when a specific topic exceeds a certain number of posts/pages. It take so much time to read through a hundred+ pages of posts to find that little fix or advice I'm after. The search option seldom directs me to the information that I need.

Thanks for considering and GREAT JOB WITH THE FORUM!

TheKeeper,
Reactions: fft

max

Out to lunch
post subcategories for each vaporizer
You (and many others) are only looking at this issue from your own viewpoint. Making things nice and easy for members often means 10 times the work for us. The Classified section is a perfect example. Our previous configuration was a breeze for us. Now the setup is much better for members, but buyers and sellers alike are constantly breaking the rules and modding it is a nightmare. You're asking for a whole section on each vape, where we have to decide which threads deserve to stand and which are duplicates, and which ones need to be merged into others. That's not all the time consuming issues that would need addressing either. In some cases there would be hours of work in store for some mod, just with the new threads created overnight for one single popular vape. We don't have the staff to clean up the resulting mess, and we're not going to add more staff to get it done either. That would create more issues for us in other areas.

Take a look at the vaporizer forum at marijuana.com sometime. Just scan the pages and read the titles. It wouldn't be quite that bad here, since we do have Ask FC, but questions on specific models aren't usually allowed in Ask FC anyway, unless it's a new member trying to decide on a vape. As it is now, we get 'what should I buy' threads, etc. in both Vape Discussion and General Vaporiztion, where they clearly don't belong. I'm constantly amazed at the number of new members that don't bother to take a few minutes to look over the forum layout (and forum titles like Vapor related but not model specific) before posting a thread.
It take so much time to read through a hundred+ pages of posts to find that little fix or advice I'm after.
Ask your questions in the vape thread. People do it all the time. But if your answer was posted a page or two back, don't be surprised (or upset) if someone tells you to do some reading, as the answer was just posted 30 min. ago, or yesterday. As for reading a 100 page thread for your "fix or advice", you don't have to read every word. You just scan the posts. Half the posts on any given page are nothing but chatty comments and it only takes a split second to spot a useless post. You can scan about a page a minute, especially if you know what you're looking for. If you can't spare the time I have no sympathy for you. I joined this forum 4 years ago this month, and I had a lot of info when I arrived. I knew all the best vapes, best dealers, and best places to get info. There was no 'one stop shopping' for vapor info then. I spent a lot of time searching, posting questions on half assed forums, and emailing manufacturers and dealers for info. Now we have vape makers, dealers, and tons of info right here. You can also find friendly experts for any particular vape and start a conversation with them, if you're having trouble finding the info you need. If someone won't take the time to answer your questions, start a convo with someone else, or ask in the thread. But people don't usually like to be the 'answer man' for lazy newbies, so you should be prepared to dig in and do some work/reading on your own.

It can seem overwhelming, with the volume of posts here, but it's really not that bad. Having a huge amount of info to sort through is better than not being able to find it at all. And this forum operates on a balance between ease of use for members, and ease of running it, for us. If the balance isn't in a manageable range, then either the membership is unhappy, or the staff is. Tilted too much toward member ease, and the staff wants to quit. If the balance is too much in our favor, membership drops. That's what has happened at marijuana.com. It's the biggest (highest traffic) mj forum on the web, but ownership biased changes there have resulted in less member participation, at any hour of any day, than what we have here on a much smaller forum. Right now there are 26 members online there, and 49 here. That ratio is about average, and their sections and topics are far wider in range than ours. They get mj users. We just get vaporists. We're not perfect here, but we're successful. And again, it's a balancing act. It has to be.

panasonic

Y
It can seem overwhelming, with the volume of posts here, but it's really not that bad. Having a huge amount of info to sort through is better than not being able to find it at all. And this forum operates on a balance between ease of use for members, and ease of running it, for us. If the balance isn't in a manageable range, then either the membership is unhappy, or the staff is. Tilted too much toward member ease, and the staff wants to quit. If the balance is too much in our favor, membership drops. That's what has happened at marijuana.com. It's the biggest (highest traffic) mj forum on the web, but ownership biased changes there have resulted in less member participation, at any hour of any day, than what we have here on a much smaller forum. Right now there are 26 members online there, and 49 here. That ratio is about average, and their sections and topics are far wider in range than ours. They get mj users. We just get vaporists. We're not perfect here, but we're successful. And again, it's a balancing act. It has to be.

An intrathread search might be helpful for this. You can put it in the FAQ, just tell people to go to Google and type in <search terms> site:http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/<thread-title>/

Is there any easy way to follow intraforum links from the old software? Or are they all broken?

panasonic,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Posts should be able to be edited more than once. Price drops should not be considered bumps and a one bump limit is rather ridiculous.

tranceporter,
Top Bottom