Study: Vaporized, Low-Potency Cannabis Mitigates Neuropathic Pain

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Study: Vaporized, Low-Potency Cannabis Mitigates Neuropathic Pain

http://norml.org/news/2013/01/03/study-vaporized-low-potency-cannabis-mitigates-neuropathic-pain

Thursday, 03 January 2013

Davis, CA: The administration of vaporized, low THC cannabis is associated with reduced pain in subjects with neuropathy, according to clinical trial data published online by The Journal of Pain.

Investigators at the University of California, Davis Medical Center conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study evaluating the analgesic efficacy of vaporized cannabis in 39 subjects, the majority of whom were experiencing neuropathic pain despite traditional treatment.

Subjects inhaled cannabis of either moderate THC (3.53 percent), low dose THC (1.29 percent), or zero THC (placebo). Subjects continued to take all other concurrent medications as per their normal routine during the 3- to 4-week study period. Spontaneous pain relief, the primary outcome variable, was assessed by asking participants to indicate the intensity of their current pain on a 100-mm visual analog scale (VAS) between 0 (no pain) and 100 (worst possible pain).

Researchers reported: "Both the low and medium doses proved to be salutary analgesics for the heterogeneous collection of neuropathic pain conditions studied. Both active study medications provided statistically significant 30% reductions in pain intensity when compared to placebo."

They concluded: "Both the 1.29% and 3.53% vaporized THC study medications produced equal antinociception at every time point. ... [T]he use of low doses could potentially be prescribed by physicians interested in helping patients use cannabis effectively while minimizing cognitive and psychological side effects. Viewed with this in mind, the present study adds to a growing body of literature supporting the use of cannabis for the treatment of neuropathic pain. It provides additional evidence of the efficacy of vaporized cannabis as well as establishes low-dose cannabis (1.29%) as having a favorable risk-benefit ratio."

Previous clinical trials have indicated that inhaled cannabis can safely and effectively relieve neuropathy, a hard-to-treat nerve condition often associated with cancer, HIV, spinal cord injury, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and other conditions. Separate trial data further indicates that inhaled "cannabis augments the analgesic effect of opioids" and therefore "may allow for opioid treatment at lower doses with fewer side effects."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, "Low-dose vaporized cannabis significantly improves neuropathic pain," appears in The Journal of Pain.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Geez Vicki ... you sure do like to keep us informed :) ... I'll try to do the same justice for us Canadians on the forum with the Canadian related material.

JCat,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Geez Vicki ... you sure do like to keep us informed :) ... I'll try to do the same justice for us Canadians on the forum with the Canadian related material.

I enjoy the hobby. :)

Vicki,

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
Smoking/vaping does nothing for my neuropathy

Eating oil/ taking tinctures of high CBD/THC does amazing things for my nueropathy
But if I stop taking it for a day or so the nueropathy just comes right back.

whatitdew,
Reactions: C No Ego

C No Ego

Smoking/vaping does nothing for my neuropathy

Eating oil/ taking tinctures of high CBD/THC does amazing things for my nueropathy
But if I stop taking it for a day or so the nueropathy just comes right back.
smoking/vaping is a periphery act involving a few mg of actives... every cell located in areas of endocannabinoid activity has cannabinoid receptors= how many cells are in us @ those endocannabinoid areas? each cell has many cannabinoid receptor sites.. do the math, we are talking billions or trillions of cannabinoids needed for absolute homeostasis of every cell... a few mg of medicine just scratches the surface ( cb receptor surface of the cell LOL)...

C No Ego,
Reactions: looney2nz
Top Bottom