• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Study - toxins and safe temps

Jman5280

Here is a study I found online:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130/suppl_file/ao7b01130_si_001.pdf

"Because dabbing topography has not been previously investigated, we chose an inhalation volume of 338 mL and a 10s duration to assure a more complete collection of vapor. The concentrations of MC in ppb per dab in this regime are 185 ± 11 ppb at Tm = 526°C, 157 ± 2 ppb atTm = 455°C, 131 ± 9 ppb at Tm = 403°C, and undetectable at Tm = 322°C.

Benzene was not detected below the highest TR. Using the same rationale as above for MC emission, one dab of BHO delivers 17 ng of benzene. Represented as a concentration in the draw volume, this value is 15 ± 1.8 ppb."

Sounds like staying around 610°F yields no Benzene or Methacrolein (MC) according to this study.

Last edited:

Jman5280

10 second inhales are pretty long, seems longer than what is normal for me (and my friends). I wonder how this study would look if they only used 5 second inhales...

Jman5280,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
10 second inhales are pretty long, seems longer than what is normal for me (and my friends). I wonder how this study would look if they only used 5 second inhales...

5 seconds for a dab? My low temp dab inhales can easily approach 20-30+ seconds. I probably inhale longer than 5 seconds before I even put the carb cap on.

invertedisdead,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Good for you!

It wasn't an insult or braggadocio comment, I was just surprised to see your 5 second inhale comment as it seems fairly short in my experience for a low temp dab. Do you q-tip the nail when you are done?

invertedisdead,

Jman5280

It wasn't an insult or braggadocio comment, I was just surprised to see your 5 second inhale comment as it seems fairly short in my experience for a low temp dab. Do you q-tip the nail when you are done?

No qtip, which I know would help (for a while). The crud that I get builds up to be rock solid, and only on the bottom where the coil doesn't touch. The sides of the dish stay clean (enough).

Jman5280,

elmoe420

No qtip, which I know would help (for a while). The crud that I get builds up to be rock solid, and only on the bottom where the coil doesn't touch. The sides of the dish stay clean (enough).

Not trying to be rude but why on earth are you not q-tipping it clean? That rock solid crud that builds up has to taste disgusting for the next dab? Sorry not trying to flame you just genuinely confused.

elmoe420,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

The reason I mention the Q-tip is I find it's a great indicator of dab temperature. If everything swabs clean you know your temps are proper, if they carbonize on immediately after dabbing you probably need to adjust something, either your heatup or cooldown time with a torched nail, or your PID temp if using an enail.

One of my best friends used to let his residues degrade on his quartz, and he thought he was giving everyone low temp dabs, but after adopting q-tip tech his low temp dabs got way better as he could more properly gauge the temperature and improve his heatup/cooldown timing.

invertedisdead,

Jman5280

Not trying to be rude but why on earth are you not q-tipping it clean? That rock solid crud that builds up has to taste disgusting for the next dab? Sorry not trying to flame you just genuinely confused.

IMO, dabs still taste fine even with a small layer of carbon gunk. Anything stuck on the nail after a minute or two (no more smoke) isn't doing anything to effect taste at the same temp, if anything it is only providing less heat to the material being used which could effect taste. The difference to me is not worth scrubbing clean every time.

Jman5280,
Reactions: elmoe420

ginolicious

Damn 10 second inhales. I use to have lung capacity for that. Now I’m lucky if I hit 5 seconds. Haha!!!

ginolicious,
Reactions: elmoe420

elmoe420

Damn 10 second inhales. I use to have lung capacity for that. Now I’m lucky if I hit 5 seconds. Haha!!!

I run at 550 F on my enail and usually get 3-4 solid hits before the flavor turns and I stop and q-tip. I'll actually try timing myself but I doubt o am hitting a full 10 sec inhales. My lung strength degrades as the years pass hah!

The good news here is it seems at under 600 F we aren't seeing any toxins from the terpenes.

elmoe420,
Top Bottom