Stuck stopper, beyond stuck.

vap999

Going back to basic chemistry: Presuming it's good quality natural rubber, basically nothing is going to dissolve it (or rather nothing safe, e.g., with suggested methylene chloride being carcinogenic).

But presuming it is good quality natural rubber, likely for a chemistry stopper, you should be able to relatively easily cut it up by melting it. For example, heat a knife blade in a flame and keep pressing it into the stopper until it's sliced in half, or cut pieces off. This should be done with good ventilation, since besides melting, you'll likely also be vaporizing and combusting some rubber.

Or maybe put the whole assembly in your oven at as high a temperature that's needed, with the piece upside down so the rubber/plastic melts and flows out, or surely will soften enough to be easily attacked.

vap999,
Reactions: klipsch

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
The stopper has turned kind of grayish black on the outside. But it's holding up surprisingly well. After some light reading, I'm pretty sure the walter white approach won't work. Even if the stopper could be corroded, it would leave a gooey mess that wouldn't come out. I think the only hope is to get a scalpel and cut it up. Anyone have any good scalpel links?

Edit: Tried the hot poker, but the stink was horrible!:puke:

Last edited:
syrupy,

jdee

saw these aquarium cleaning tools and thought of this thread

31Mx1rIppsL.jpg

VAPEHUNTER

Have you tried using some type of pointer wood screw? You can screw into the stopper then pull it out. I've used this meathod before to remove a cork out of a wine bottle for my wife, she forgot the cork screw. I guess the biggest problem would be getting the stopper to stay in place while you screw into it. But if you are careful you might be able to apply enough pressure to screw into the stopper. Good luck!

VAPEHUNTER,
Reactions: syrupy

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Explosives might lower the resale value of the piece, though the stopper would get its comeuppance. I've gotten various stabbing and hooking implements impaling the rubber. The real problem is the stopper is actually bigger than the neck of the glass. There's no good way to get enough leverage from above to pull it very far up the neck.

In a moment of soul searching, I asked permission to forgive myself and accept the stopper is now part of the piece. My inner voice laughed at that. Acceptance is not an easy thing.

syrupy,

Caligula

Maximus
Yes... but is the stopper still okay to keep in there after all those chemicals you threw in there?

Caligula,

Caligula

Maximus
Cant u get a blower to cut then reweld it? Or is it too cheap to warrant paying for that?

Caligula,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Well here's my :2c:. I like the previous poster's idea about the long drywall screw. If the screw is long enough you should be able to grab it with some pliers and pull it out of the end if well lubed. Maybe something to stab into it to keep it from spinning when trying to screw in. You may want to heat it up some also. I'm not too keen on the water pressure or air pressure idea because the glass could burst :doh:. Safety glasses are a must, maybe even leather gloves. I'm sure there is some chemical that will work but is that what you really want to vape after? :shrug:

Dangus

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
saw these aquarium cleaning tools and thought of this thread

31Mx1rIppsL.jpg

I used something like this to remove a stuck stopper from a brewing carboy, ending up stabbing it with the tool open and then cutting it...took awhile...

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Maybe a barb that sets in the "meat" after injection, like a fish hook.

barbed-hook.jpg

Last edited:
t-dub,

vap999

It sounds like you'll never be able to immobilize it, get enough leverage, to pull it without jabbing it all the way through with a spear with a barbed end (like the hook above). That won't be easy.

Otherwise, I still think trying to melt and simply pour it out or soften it with heat and then attack it are worth trying. Most rubber melts in the mid-300˚F range. Put the piece in an oven at say 400˚F (should be below combustion) positioning it for the rubber to flow out, watch it closely, and have good ventilation in case it makes a bad smell. And if needed, raise the temperature.

vap999,

CG420

Over the horizon u can see the edges of the Earth
Try filling the tube up with salt and a moderate amount so that when you add water make sure the salt blocks up the pathway and run water through the other end creating the pressure you need and then just work with a cork screw from there. I'm trying to think of a good filler that can bring that rubber stopper up enough so you can screw it out easily.

EDIT: you can also use caligula's bag video by inserting the bag into one side of the cork screw but enough for it to get right under the cork screw. After that (assuming the salt part is done) put water through from the other end and hope the salt gets right underneath the bag and water pushing it up enough so you can the cork screw to get it out.

Last edited:
CG420,
Top Bottom