Stuck glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have two adapters stuck in my bubbler. I can't get either one out. :(

Any suggestions? Here is a picture for reference.

6HkA854.jpg

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Well I doubt you have a joint puller, unless you know someone who works in a lab. Or a glassblower maybe.

So I would suggest applying heat to the external joint. This will expand it and release the internal part.

If this fails there are chemical solvent solutions, let me know if you need to know about this. But try heat first. Works most times.

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
If you heat it too slowly, like with hot water or hairdryer, the heat will have chance to soak into the inner piece, making the external expansion less effective.
Very true, however my hope is that it's stuck due to resin accumulation (looking at the pic real close it seems to be the case.)

If the glass has expanded due to heat the torching will be necessary, but hopefully it's just gooey resin.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
If you heat it too slowly, like with hot water or hairdryer, the heat will have chance to soak into the inner piece, making the external expansion less effective.

They won't budge, and I did try hot water. I hate that two are stuck. It makes this so much harder.

little maggie

Good luck. I had that problem with glass bubbler and my wong. I had to break the bubbler to get the wong out. Twice. But yours are glass and hopefully will be removable.

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Try to get some Iso around the joint let it soak in while heating with hair dryer and tapping with a big wooden spoon all while praying to the glass God's and for the hell of it let your underdog sit on it for more heat..
Good luck Vicki
Maybe dip it in boiling water

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Have you tried using something made of fairly soft rubber to create friction/leverage?

I have a stem with a threaded mouthpiece. When it was new, I could not remove the mouthpiece. Eventually it occurred to me to try using a piece of rubber, to create friction. When I tried this, the mouthpiece came off like it wasn't even tightened.

HNGE81t.jpg

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
I'll keep trying all your suggestions. I've been trying up to this point, but going to take a break because I am frustrated. I hope it doesn't come to breaking it on our driveway.
Make a trip to your local gas station that carries those 6$ novelty torches before sacrifice to the Glass Gods.

This happened on my first ever session with my DBV.

I was super high and if it weren't for that very fact (being super high)
I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

Next day I did the same as @Aimless Ryan , grabbed one of those square rubber pot holders/jar opener, friction dealys.

Just like him, it popped right off.

MinnBobber

Bummer,
I like heat AND cold.
Submerge whole piece in very hot water---not boiling where is might crack due to thermal shock.
OK--every piece has slightly expanded.
Now have a small cloth --wet, very cold cloth , almost frozen cold.
Twist into the top piece to cool/slightly contract it. Try twisting out with helper like a rubbery mouse pad or grippy something.
If no go, then quickly tappity tappity with wooden spoon on joint. Try twisting again..

Option 2
Herbie to the rescue??? 445 and fan assist and try to heat the first joint, the one directly in the bubbler.
Roll the piece to try to get all sides--looks like maybe you can reach 3/4 of it, with mouthpiece blocking a small portion. Pull with good gripper. Tappity with wooden spoon.

OyVape

On glass joints that tend to be tight or a firm grab I put a little beeswax on the joints before I assemble my piece. The prevention is better than the cure.

Good-luck fixing your piece. :)

Use a grippy jar-opener thingy on both surfaces you're trying to separate. That was the only thing that helped a similar problem after trying all the other suggestions.

OyVape,
Reactions: Vicki

MinnBobber

Other prevention once this is fixed ;)

1. like @steama said, some lube.
I have Grinder Grease on-hand for lubing grinder threads. Hemp oil based, in a tube like chapstick.

2. Another method I sometimes use to prevent stuck glass--- I experiment with all my accessory fittings and found another use a @Ratchett simple reducer:
The adapter prevents a glass-to-glass lock. Note that it is not 100% stable like a glass to glass joint.
You can wiggle the joint 5 degrees each direction.
Another prevention option--
Ratchett%20inlet%20adapter.jpg

MinnBobber

You're probably joking about the WD 40 but IIRC there's a severe warning on WD 40, something like- Fatal If Swallowed! So it's not something you'd want in the vapor path.
I did not list WD-40 but it is an excellent "penetrating oil" , best used for extracting stuck/rusted bolts.
As a "lubricant" , it sucks, although many use as such.

I'd have no qualms about applying to the stuck area to see if it penetrates and releases it (next time since it broke this time ). Heat joint a little and see if it sucks it in as it cools.

WD-40 is easily and quickly removable with Dawn detergent---would easily remove all traces of it.

You're probably joking about the WD 40 but IIRC there's a severe warning on WD 40, something like- Fatal If Swallowed! So it's not something you'd want in the vapor path.

I did not list WD-40 but it is an excellent "penetrating oil" , best used for extracting stuck/rusted bolts.
As a "lubricant" , it sucks, although many use as such.

I'd have no qualms about applying to the stuck area to see if it penetrates and releases it (next time since it broke this time ). Heat joint a little and see if it sucks it in as it cools.

WD-40 is easily and quickly removable with Dawn detergent---would easily remove all traces of it.

To Nesta; Yes I am most serious. WD-40 can do wonders to a lot of stubborn things. Im not telling the person to drink it. Simply to use it as a tool.

To Minnbobber; Yes when all else fails try some WD-40. It has solved more than one stubborn problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom