Storing many small amounts

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I feel kind of stupid for asking this question, but here we go;

Is it possible to dry a fresh bud in a jar with a boveda pack? I know that one would want to dry it for a couple of weeks before putting it in a jar, but if the drying room isn't available just yet, could this work?

Do you mean cure?

I use the small 1gr aluminum Space Case containers and then I put those in a small mason jar with a Boveda pack. Keeps things fresh for over a year.

Hi:)
Do you remove the lid and the o-ring?
Or do you mean you put a Boveda in the SC, screw on top and then store it in a Mason jar?
If not how does the Boveda do its job?

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

CalyxSmokr

I use 4 oz mason jars and then put those all inside a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top gasket seal on top

65e07a7c-0f4d-43ac-bb90-bd0f25f02845_1000.jpg

CalyxSmokr,
Reactions: Squiby

unsorted

I use 4 oz mason jars and then put those all inside a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top gasket seal on top

65e07a7c-0f4d-43ac-bb90-bd0f25f02845_1000.jpg

My imagination is going wild on this. I'd love to get a peek inside the bucket... Custom packing?....Lift-out layers?....Capacity?

unsorted,

Squiby

I am all in favor of saving and savoring but sealing? Seems like putting toys away shrinkwrapped.:shrug:

I don't seal my jars away in a bucket. But I do store my strains in mason jars with a bodeva and an oxygen pack. They get vacuum sealed and put away.

I do this for long term storage. It only takes a few seconds to reseal the larger jars after I take out maybe a weeks worth or so.

It is totally worth it for me as it completely stops time in its tracks and my bud stays as fresh as the day it was sealed and put away for storage. Better than having it go bad. It will keep fresh for years.

I like to keep a lot of strains. I switch up my choice every week or so and I will have two to three strains out for vaping at any one time.

The rest gets sealed up and stored away from light, heat and oxygen.

Kozzmozz

Infinite realities, infinite possibilities
I don't seal my jars away in a bucket. But I do store my strains in mason jars with a bodeva and an oxygen pack. They get vacuum sealed and put away.

I do this for long term storage. It only takes a few seconds to reseal the larger jars after I take out maybe a weeks worth or so.

It is totally worth it for me as it completely stops time in its tracks and my bud stays as fresh as the day it was sealed and put away for storage. Better than having it go bad. It will keep fresh for years.

I like to keep a lot of strains. I switch up my choice every week or so and I will have two to three strains out for vaping at any one time.

The rest gets sealed up and stored away from light, heat and oxygen.

Mmm sounds tasty.
I'm imagining hearing a 'pop' and then this thick aroma crawls up your nostrils..
:drool:

Do you grow yourself by any chance @Squiby ?

Kozzmozz,
Reactions: Joaon

Squiby

Mmm sounds tasty.
I'm imagining hearing a 'pop' and then this thick aroma crawls up your nostrils..
:drool:

Do you grow yourself by any chance @Squiby ?

Yeah. Vacuum sealing is awesome. Every time you break the seal, you get that swoosh sound. Sealed jars are completely smellproof and when you open them up you get a burst of the bouquet.

I do grow a couple of plants every year or so. Some gets stored, some gets turned into salves and creams, some gets gifted and some gets vaped.

For variety, I like to frequent the dispensaries. Homegrown is just as good but can get boring. It's nice to have a stock of different strains around. When I find something I really like I always check to see if the seeds can be purchased.

MinnBobber

Great topic.

There is a slightly different school of thought on oxygen--to have or not to have.

From an article on the subject:
The jars should be full to the top to expel the majority of air. You need air and some moisture as they allow the aerobic bacteria to come to life. They will consume chlorophyll and make your buds smoke smoother. Less harsh on the throat and tastier on the pallet.
Clearly, too much oxygen is bad, BUT some feel there should be enough oxy to allow chlorophyll reduction to happen.
I have no idea if a vacuum seal leaves enough for this to happen?
I'd tend to think a vacuum seal + oxy removal packet won't allow these aerobic bacteria???

This is a very interesting topic for research. Those of you lucky b#stards with big stashs, have at it please :)

The best method might be a hybrid--- leave some air for chlorophyll removal for the first 12 months(?) and then vacuum seal as cure is 99% done???

FYI, I store longterm in glass jar with 62% Boveda in dark closet and my 2 year old buds vape wonderfully. Would it be better or worse or same with no oxygen? Don't know...

Squiby

Clearly, too much oxygen is bad, BUT some feel there should be enough oxy to allow chlorophyll reduction to happen.
I have no idea if a vacuum seal leaves enough for this to happen?
I'd tend to think a vacuum seal + oxy removal packet won't allow these aerobic bacteria???

You make a good point. I have read this as well. I don't think that the home vacuum sealing units completely remove all traces of oxygen. I think a small amount is still present. I say this because adding an oxygen pack to a vacuum sealed jar will result in the oxygen pack lasting longer, but it does still degrade albeit at a slower pace than putting one in a non air tight jar.

I should also add that I don't aggressively vacuum seal the jar. I pop on the foodsaver lid and pump out air for a few seconds, enough to seal the snap lid into place before screwing on the ring.

I only do this with well cured bud. Last falls harvest is still curing in mason jars with just a bodeva pack and I likely will not vacuum pack them till maybe June or so. I'm still burping them occasionally, maybe every two weeks at this point. More so to have a look see and smell than anything else as I think that they are pretty stable at this point.

My bud is very smooth and non irritating. This routine may be overkill but it seems to be working well.

I adopted this approach after watching prepper videos for long term dehydrated food storage.

MinnBobber

....I only do this with well cured bud. Last falls harvest is still curing in mason jars with just a bodeva pack and I likely will not vacuum pack them till maybe June or so. I'm still burping them occasionally, maybe every two weeks at this point. More so to have a look see and smell than anything else as I think that they are pretty stable at this point.....

@Squiby Thanks for more details. With that info, it sounds like you are already doing what I called a "hybrid method", a well designed cure process from harvest to approx June, so about 9 months to cure/ have oxygen to allow aerobic bacteria process and then your stabilizer process.
It's funny as I originally used 9 months and changed to 12 months LOL. Was trying to guess , at what timeframe would a really good cure be done so THEN your long term stabilization process could be done?

?? I may even try in the future. I have very small amounts :( so could they be mixed in a vacuum jar?
For example, in a one pint Mason jar, have 4 mini-bottles that each have a gram of bud, with caps lightly screwed on. Boveda pack of course. Vacuum seal on jar. Maybe oxy pack? Would smell/terps stay in their tiny bottles with loose caps or would smell profiles all meld together ?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Just posted a similar question in another storage container thread, since now I am getting smaller amounts of a lot of different strains from dispensaries here in Cali (right now have 7 different ones, a couple are just a small nug or two under a g, three were 8ths now at varying levels, two were quarters now also lower, one more is from back east still actually not sure how much is left now even it's much older) so they last a while but not large amounts and I want them accessible, so just have them in the plastic containers in a cabinet by the couch in a chilly room (dark and dry)

When I used to get larger stock piles, like the one I have left from back east, I would have a half ounce in a mason jar sealed up tight, then in several ziplocs and a paper bag, stored in the fridge for a while as I had smaller amounts in those plastic containers (had a couple smaller glass jars that broke, may just get more of those?) and also what I had grinded ofcourse. Seemed to work fairly well as stuff lasted a long time like that, that's where that old strain is right now as I just use the fresh ones...

Naturally these Bodiva things are making me think I need them now though lol

Top Bottom