• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Storing concentrate long term

abcd5432

It's my first time buying concentrate where I can actually buy quantity and not just the last gram.

I intend to get an ounce of wax. Is this too much to store economically?
I prefer to buy in bulk and store.

Thanks,

abcd5432,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

abcd5432

Tightly sealed in the freezer will preserve freshness indefinitely.
Have you done this before? I saw this advice, but I also saw people say a freezer gets too cold and could have adverse effects.
In my quick research I saw people also recommend the fridge or just even a mini cooler that doesn't get that cold.

I trust users here more than reddit so why I ask here and just not go off a Google search.

abcd5432

Nice thanks.
I sadly tried to get my concentrate only to find out it wasn't a recreational dispensary... Then I looked at my first purchase and it wasn't either....
But they sold to me... And I hope it was not a fluke because them prices were dope and now I'm like better get some asap (like tonight when I get back from the store), and make myself a regular lol.
Guess I gotta keep hunting for the concentrate prices. Either way shouldn't be complaining lol, you can get an ounce of concentrate for what in the old days was an ounce of good bud. Not really a bad deal lol.
That's why long term storage is important.. I like my bulk prices. I shop at Costco.

abcd5432

My favourite store! Love my Executive 2% cash back membership, and it's my go to for gas! :D
Probably going to upgrade to their cc soon. I need to go to a normal Costco first, I somehow went to the only business Costco in the city when I picked up my card so I haven't seen the full consumer selection..
I got my bud last night and they also just started carrying concentrate. Hopefully prices get as cheap as what I got the. Os for... Was insane.

I can get a years worth of bud for what some of my friends used to pay for smoking for 2-3 weeks 5-6 years ago lol.

abcd5432,

shredder

It's my first time buying concentrate where I can actually buy quantity and not just the last gram.

I intend to get an ounce of wax. Is this too much to store economically?
I prefer to buy in bulk and store.

Thanks,

I'm not sure of your situtation but I'd sample before buying an ounce of concentrate. And I'd like some variety. Concentrates are not all alike, I'd hate to be stuck with a so so concentrate for such a long time. And like herb you can become strain tolerant where the effects keep diminishing as you use them.

I'm a caregiver for a few patients and frequently I have an ounce plus of rosin at one time, but it's from 5-6 varieties. I think my patients like choices. Best of luck tho in your endeavors.

Vape_Or_Die420

I was reading today on the vapelife forum, someone pretty knowledgeable, was talking about how they did tests on rosin they made and stored in silicon containers. Results showed small amounts of the silicone in the oil. I guess silicone can dry out an create a dust. Anyone her back this issue up?

This person only recommends storing in glass or ceramic.

abcd5432

I was reading today on the vapelife forum, someone pretty knowledgeable, was talking about how they did tests on rosin they made and stored in silicon containers. Results showed small amounts of the silicone in the oil. I guess silicone can dry out an create a dust. Anyone her back this issue up?

I appreciate you responding to this. I have no knowledge of this and how to test? If you have any idea of how to test and the cost, I'm happy to run a small experiment.
That definitely is worrisome.

@Baron23
Good to know the freezer is safe!

@shredder
I hadn't considered that. Usually I can mix/match though. I just prefer to buy in bulk and get the savings.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
The freezer is safe IMHO, however, you may find small amounts of moisture get into the concentrates while its thawing and may need a bit extra to dry out. Obvious pops and fizzles in the banger is the only downside, but if left moist, it might go mouldy.

Glass, all the way, fuck silicon.

For a slab of pretty stable oil, I say parchment and then into a freezer bag. Then put it on your table, in the fridge, in the freezer, w/e. The less stable it is, the colder you should go IMO. I’d put a bit by your rig and the rest in the fridge or freezer. When you need to refill, just bring your portion from the cold storage, not the whole thing; multiple freeze/thaw sessions can lead to nucleation from my experience.

Those silicone cups are nice when you get the right one, but I honestly prefer good parchment paper with a freezer bag — I can get the right thing from the grocery store and not concern myself about fakes on Amazon. I’ve never gotten the silicone powder from parchment, so i feel pretty good about that as an option. Gotta get the good brands, still.

Glass is great, but only really “required” for sauce IMO.

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum

I don't know about silicone getting in your materials but F silicone because your materials will end up in the silicone. ALL silicone leeches, ALL OF IT, yep.....even that kind by that brand, LEECH! I used to be ALL ABOUT silicone and literally laughed at people using glass......I was an idiot. I took the pepsi challenge and never used silicone for storage again.

For storing pretty much anything a good rule is

Cold + glass + dark

kushkush

happy camper....
Just for fun... the other day I discovered an ounce of bud I bought in 2015. It was in one of those tall white non-see-thru plastic containers and was uber-dry, stored in a forgotten drawer. Didn't need a grinder, just crumbled it up. It was still powerful, and my tolerance is at least med-high. Surprising, but happiness is seeing that Cannabis buds do not lose their goodness over 5 years.

I was told that the live resin I bought needed to stay in the fridge but I haven't stored any other concentrates in there, and am not really sure if the live resin really needs to be there.

Last edited:

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Long term storage of most things means eliminating 3 variables: LIGHT, HEAT, AIR/OXYGEN.

I often buy my concentrates in bulk, enough for a 4-6 month time frame.

What I do for long term storage is just vacuum seal each container, and store them in my garage fridge. The garage fridge stays colder than my normal fridge, just a little above freezing.

I've noticed no decline in quality storing this way, even very temperamental full melt water hash.

To make the individual bags for sealing, I took a roll of bags and split it into thirds, just wide enough to fit my concentrate containers. Seal up the sides and I have some nice sized personal bags. I make them about 10" long, that way they can be reused multiple times.

@kushkush depending on how quickly you intend to consume the live resin would dictate how I would store it. When taking containers out of the fridge, you want them to come to room temp before opening them to prevent condensation.

If I had a gram that I was going to consume over the course of a week, I might scoop enough put for a day or two and keep that at room temp so it's ready in a moment's notice. I'd just keep the remainder in the fridge and bring more out when I need it. If you plan on storing for a month or more, then I might consider vacuum sealing the portion for longer term storage.

Some terpenes are more volatile than others, so proper storage helps keep your concentrates as tasty as they were the day you bought them!

Edit: and definitely NO silicone containers! Thankfully all of the concentrates I buy are sold in glass containers.

Deleted Member 1643

Don't know about wax, but store DIY shatter for several years. Make simple vacuum desiccators from Ball jars and Damp-Rid and store in a chest freezer. Subjectively, it's like the day it went in.

It's very easy to do. Damp-Rid is just calcium chloride, which absorbs water vapor very well. It's harmless and need never contact your shatter. Just sprinkle a little in the bottom of a wide, flat Ball jar, add your parchment-wrapped shatter, vacuum seal, and pop it in the freezer. Let it come to room temperature before breaking the seal.

The larger, lab version is how some of our most precious reagents were stored indefinitely.

kushkush

happy camper....
Long term storage of most things means eliminating 3 variables: LIGHT, HEAT, AIR/OXYGEN.

I often buy my concentrates in bulk, enough for a 4-6 month time frame.

What I do for long term storage is just vacuum seal each container, and store them in my garage fridge. The garage fridge stays colder than my normal fridge, just a little above freezing.

I've noticed no decline in quality storing this way, even very temperamental full melt water hash.

To make the individual bags for sealing, I took a roll of bags and split it into thirds, just wide enough to fit my concentrate containers. Seal up the sides and I have some nice sized personal bags. I make them about 10" long, that way they can be reused multiple times.

@kushkush depending on how quickly you intend to consume the live resin would dictate how I would store it. When taking containers out of the fridge, you want them to come to room temp before opening them to prevent condensation.

If I had a gram that I was going to consume over the course of a week, I might scoop enough put for a day or two and keep that at room temp so it's ready in a moment's notice. I'd just keep the remainder in the fridge and bring more out when I need it. If you plan on storing for a month or more, then I might consider vacuum sealing the portion for longer term storage.

Some terpenes are more volatile than others, so proper storage helps keep your concentrates as tasty as they were the day you bought them!

Edit: and definitely NO silicone containers! Thankfully all of the concentrates I buy are sold in glass containers.

What's wrong with using silicone containers?

shredder

I use oil slick foil backed paper to store bulk rosin. Then put it in a mylar zip lock bag with some oxygen scavenger packs and into a freezer. Never had a problem.

If I have rosin that gets old and runny (first world problem) that has been at room temperature for months I just use it for medibles.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
What's wrong with using silicone containers?

EVERY silicone container leeches, all of them, or perhaps more precisely, Ive NEVER once in my decade plus search seen one that hasn't. Doesn't matter the brand, doesn't matter the cure claims, doesn't matter if the surface is smooth or rough. Short term like a car ride or a few hours, ok, but id never use silicone for any type of long term or even medium term storage.

Top Bottom