Storage question

Squiby

I haven't tried micron glass but I have tried a variety of flip top gasket sealed jars.

I place an oxygen pack in with my herb and found that the flip top sealers actually leak oxygen. The oxygen packs remove oxygen from the container. When they are spent, they get hard.

In contrast, regular mason jars packed with herb and and oxygen packet work great. The oxygen pack removes the oxygen in the jar. When you open the jar you get that whoosh sound when you break the seal and the oxygen pack remains viable for a long time.

Now I store all my weed in mason jars. Each jar gets an oxygen pack and a Bodeva pack. Then, I vacuum seal the jars and store them in a cool dark spot. My weed stays fresh as the day it was sealed.

This is the sealer that I use. Inexpensive and works great.

https://www.amazon.ca/FoodSaver-Fre...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EKA2KCHWM4T4AN0SCB0E

https://www.amazon.ca/FoodSaver-Reg...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=13X3AHH4RFSP3PS8TWR8

https://www.amazon.ca/FoodSaver-Wid...UTF8&qid=1484442599&sr=1-2&keywords=Foodsaver

Maitri

Deadhead, Low-Temp Dabber, Mahayana Buddhist
I haven't tried micron glass but I have tried a variety of flip top gasket sealed jars.

I place an oxygen pack in with my herb and found that the flip top sealers actually leak oxygen. The oxygen packs remove oxygen from the container. When they are spent, they get hard.

In contrast, regular mason jars packed with herb and and oxygen packet work great. The oxygen pack removes the oxygen in the jar. When you open the jar you get that whoosh sound when you break the seal and the oxygen pack remains viable for a long time.

Now I store all my weed in mason jars. Each jar gets an oxygen pack and a Bodeva pack. Then, I vacuum seal the jars and store them in a cool dark spot. My weed stays fresh as the day it was sealed.

This is the sealer that I use. Inexpensive and works great.

https://www.amazon.ca/FoodSaver-Fre...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EKA2KCHWM4T4AN0SCB0E

https://www.amazon.ca/FoodSaver-Reg...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=13X3AHH4RFSP3PS8TWR8

https://www.amazon.ca/FoodSaver-Wid...UTF8&qid=1484442599&sr=1-2&keywords=Foodsaver

Very cool, thank you! :)

I am completely unfamiliar with the oxygen packs you mentioned. Any chance you can provide a link (or two) about them?

Maitri,
Reactions: Squiby

Squiby

I am completely unfamiliar with the oxygen packs you mentioned. Any chance you can provide a link (or two) about them?

Oxygen packs are available from any food preppers website and from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Sorb-Oxy...8&qid=1484507164&sr=8-1&keywords=Oxygen+packs

These reduce oxygen only and do not affect humidity which is where the Bodeva packs come in to the picture.

I add them to all my dehydrated goods; bud, veggies and herbs get this treatment. You can preserve food and bud for a long long time using this method.

I seal my unused oxy packs in a vacuum sealed mason jar and remove them for use as required. If you leave them in the open air they will quickly absorb oxygen and get hard and useless.

Squiby,
Reactions: Maitri

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Not on topic but not off it given the thread title, but what's the issue with just leaving it in the airtight non clear plastic containers from the dispensary? In a cool dry dark place (cabinet in a cold ish room) for a few months or maybe even more (or potentially even much less)?

Used to use glass jars back east when I would buy in bulk so they're larger for more like a half ounce, but now in California with medicinal dispensaries things are new and different for me... Should I really invest in some smaller glass jars? Been tempted by Jyarz but world market is where I got my others with a giftcard

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Squiby

virtualpurple

Not on topic but not off it given the thread title, but what's the issue with just leaving it in the airtight non clear plastic containers from the dispensary? In a cool dry dark place (cabinet in a cold ish room) for a few months or maybe even more (or potentially even much less)?

Used to use glass jars back east when I would buy in bulk so they're larger for more like a half ounce, but now in California with medicinal dispensaries things are new and different for me... Should I really invest in some smaller glass jars? Been tempted by Jyarz but world market is where I got my others with a giftcard

Can you post a picture of what containers your dispensary issues out? Most of the plastic containers I see issued (albeit my dispensary experience is limited) come with medicine vials that are simple push-and-twist vials, which are not airtight.

I would also probably opt for glass over plastic as glass doesn't have the propensity to absorb smells and moisture that most plastics tend to.

Next time you have an empty container try a simple experiment (unless you actively re-use all your containers). Throw a spoonful of garlic into a glass jar and then one into your plastic jars and let them sit for a few days. Dump the garlic and wash them both out with some mild detergent and give each a whiff. If you smell garlic still on your plastic container than your plastic is absorbing the aromatics of your herb.

If you are tossing those containers probably no big deal, but plastic degrades over time and you really don't get that with glass.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Can you post a picture of what containers your dispensary issues out? Most of the plastic containers I see issued (albeit my dispensary experience is limited) come with medicine vials that are simple push-and-twist vials, which are not airtight.

I would also probably opt for glass over plastic as glass doesn't have the propensity to absorb smells and moisture that most plastics tend to.

Next time you have an empty container try a simple experiment (unless you actively re-use all your containers). Throw a spoonful of garlic into a glass jar and then one into your plastic jars and let them sit for a few days. Dump the garlic and wash them both out with some mild detergent and give each a whiff. If you smell garlic still on your plastic container than your plastic is absorbing the aromatics of your herb.

If you are tossing those containers probably no big deal, but plastic degrades over time and you really don't get that with glass.

Ah well put! Thanks man, yeah I forgot about the absorption, I am certain the plastic is more so than the glass. I have reused some containers, first ones from Denver (I still have the screw top ones from there, thought they were the nicest, but I should just toss em if they're not really airtight? They seem better than pill bottles, solid green or blue with thick caps and inner clear plastic seal...) but I got rid of the squeeze top ones from there now.

So the dispensaries I've been to here so far all have used the squeeze top kind, they seem to be airtight, no smell leaking when closed (except one from one dispensary seemed uneven and looser, they used a different brand it seemed, so I swapped that one for a better one)... Since I'll get a new container everytime I get herbs I guess there's really no reason to be saving em, haven't used one strain up yet though (aside from the one I swapped) So while I may toss them, they are being used to store the herbs they came with for a decent amount of time I think? Perhaps I should check an older strain to see how it's holding up compared to the fresher one I got last week smell wise

I would like to preserve terps as best as I can though, so I probably should head over to world market for some smaller jars I suppose then bc I do have another giftcard... Cheaper than getting fancy jyarz or infinity jars at least

Top Bottom