Storage of cannabis (i know this is posted a lot but i am confused)

Hi Everyone

I need some help.

I live in Thailand and although its is legal for medical, the medicine needs to be in bulk and you need to be able to have up to 6 months on hand as the supply chain is not stable yet.

I have been doing this practice for 2 years now after trying many many many methods and find this method has kept bud for over 12 months and from my limited knowledge its still great. However the more i read on this great forum i am beginning to worry. Here is what i do.

Background,. Live in THAILAND in the mountains, VERY hot, 43-45C in the days now till end Summer then we get rain for 3 months non stop at 25C but very humid followed by very dry winter where nights are down to 14C and up to 36C at lunch. Big temp swings and humidity too.

Putting it in a safe does not keep it cool enough even though i have a huge safe.

This is what i do

Put all in mason jars, with Boveda packs 62% in the winter and summer dry months and 58% in the rainy times. (As outside its like 85-90% humidity so when you bud is out it takes in moisture fast.

For daily usage those smaller jars stay in a safe.

The bigger jars are vacuum sealed on the outside and put into a refrigerator set at the lowest setting) (least amount of cooling) it stays at about 22C inside. I keep nothing else inside and dont open it except to take something out real quick which is only every 1-2 weeks as its long term storage only.

When i do take something out, i leave it in the room for 6-8 hours before i cut open the bag and then open the jar. I dont see any issues but am i damaging it?

Kindly let me know your thoughts? I am worried as everyone says no refrigerator and if anything use freezer?

Or should i let it just go up to over 30C in the safe in the jars during the day time/? In my experience when it has the heat it turns brown.

Thanks everyone!! Stay safe!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
My cool storage goes from 5 to 23 degrees C, I use mason jars with Boveda plus I vac seal the jars with this,
https://www.amazon.com.au/FoodSaver...ywords=mason+jar+sealer&qid=1589433451&sr=8-1

and insert oxy absorb satchels in the jar before sealing,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oxygen-Absorbers-100cc-x-100-FDA-Approved-Food-Safe/173431578844?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These extra steps seem to preserve more flavor after 12 months or so IME.:tup:

Thanks A lot @LesPenty !
I used to use those jars now i use glass jars with a vacuum seal bag over them thinking with the added layer of protection to prevent condensation during temp change. Mine were plastic and i also couldn’t find any glass.

I never knew about the oxy absorbs ... well of course in food especially the snacks.. Very Good idea, will immediately implement this, Thanks for sharing!!

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
First: My oldest friend--our cribs were beside each other 71 years ago!--lives near Petchebun. He's no longer a user, but we were recently remembering the big hash buy we did in 1971! I still have a piece of that 50+ year old! hash that he had that he gave to me 10 years ago. Unfortunately, it no longer has any effect whatsoever.

On the whole, I'd say you're doing great, considering the circumstances. And I think you are doing the right thing, keeping it in the refrig is certainly better than the heat. The big fear with refrigeration is mold. But I've been keeping a buddy's outstanding homegrown in the frig for more than a year in mason jars with boveda and I've never had a problem. And the stuff has stayed potent.

There was I believe a serious cannabis study that looked at methods of preserving in terms of THC. Best long term method for THC preservation is freezing, but it tends to make the little resinous trichomes fall off. Second best for THC was refrigeration. Sealed but either warm or in light is the worst other than unsealed in the warm and light.

A lot of the issues with refrigeration and even freezing have to do with not letting it come to room temp before opening. So again, it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Last edited:

ginolicious

I store mine in mason jars. Had the same batch in mason jars for about a year and no issues at all.

ginolicious,
Reactions: macbill

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I am far from an expert but I’ve always been told not to freeze cannabis because the trichomes become brittle and break off of the buds. It makes sense considering that’s how bubble hash is made.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Properly stored it will last for years. We killed off some weed from 2000 at a Pearl Jam show in 2005 and it was still as potent as ever. Keep it in a sealed jar away from light and it’ll be fine for as long as you need it.

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
https://www.marijuanamoment.net/thi...uana-for-the-apocalypse-according-to-science/

I recently vaped some 6 year old flower that's been in my freezer (in a little zip-loc inside a plastic food storage container) - it was still plenty potent.

Great article, this is something that I need to pay attention to!

in the samples stored at room temperature. In the first 100 days of data gathering, the THC in the marijuana stored in both light and dark spaces at room temperature had degraded by 13 percent and 11 percent, respectively.

buckhakeesah

Sawatdeekup! I miss my family, friends and food there. I tried to score some green but that did not happen on my recent trip back to visit my birthplace last December. I can't wait to return one day. Hopefully they will be rec legal by then. I do wish you find the info you seek. Looks like your doing quite well already with your method of storage. How is the quality for medical right now?

:leaf:

buckhakeesah,
Top Bottom