1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Storage Container - Which to use?

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by Pierce, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Pierce

Pierce New Member

Hello FC

Currently I use a small tight vac, that can approximately pack in a 1/2 oz of herb. I bought it very recently and even though it is supposed to be vacuum sealed/air tight, I can already smell my herb reeking up my home.

I've been looking online at Planet vape and all their containers look good, but so did the Tight-vac when I bought it.

I am looking for an air-tight container that can fit in my pocket, preferrably something that you cannot see into.

From personal experience, does anyone have any good suggestions?

Currently I am leaning towards the mVessel.

2. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD 宇宙

For home stash, look into the cvault. There's a thread for them here somewhere. Aluminum/metal bodywork so you can't see into it unless you take the lid off. Dunno if they make small-enough to pocket comfortably...

SpruceGruve and randybishop like this.
  3. Adobewan

Adobewan Well-Known Member

4. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

This:

[​IMG]

Inside this:

[​IMG]

VapingDitto likes this.
  5. Nbajunkie

Nbajunkie Someones always watching..

I just ordered this.. http://jyarz.com/collections/all
    I too have a tight vac.It works. But I view these as an upgrade.After I saw @TheHerbalReview video review of this product I was sold.Its shockproof and lightproof and holds a little over 3 grams . Its like a case for your glass.And they look pretty neat..I wish the white one would have been lightproof,that was the coolest one! I settled on the black..

6. Edward Hyde

Edward Hyde Well-Known Member

i've been using this type of jar for years now and no smell at all..glass jars with tight seal on top i think are the best...also vacuum jars with silicon bands on the top.

7. tbill

tbill Active Member

I was hoping for some advice...I just bought some very expensive herb that I want to make last for 3 months. My storage method is a 16 oz mason jar kept in the dark in my coolish basement. I have been debating getting humidipaks- 62%. But I am hesitant, as it seems to me it is easier to vape herbs that are drier as opposed to moist. Opinions?

Thanks in advance...

Tbill

mod note: Off-topic discussion merged with existing thread

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
    Fame Is A Vapor likes this.
  8. poonman

poonman Well-Known Member

I use mason jars myself .
    Separate your weed into several jars , so you are not opening and closing the same jar constantly .
    Keep the un-used weed jars in a dark closet , and that should keep it relatively fresh until usage .
    I know I've held on to special strains that I like for aprox. 3 months .

I like vaping both dry and moist herbs . :mental:

9. tbill

tbill Active Member

So are you advising against the humidipak (overkill)??

10. lazylathe

lazylathe On the verge of...

I use mason jars that i vacuum seal and store in a dark cool area in my basement.
    I only open the jars to take a bit of herb out that will last me a week and then the original gets vacuum sealed again.
    Vaped some 7 month old bud that was absolutely amazing last night!

Never used humidipaks before so i cannot comment on them.
    I am looking into getting a small C-Vault to store my weekly bud in though.

RUDE BOY, Fame Is A Vapor and poonman like this.
  11. poonman

poonman Well-Known Member

I have no experience with humidpaks or C-vaults Jarz , so I can't help you with that .
    But vacuum sealed mason jars are good .

12. lazylathe

lazylathe On the verge of...

I also use this to remove as much air as possible:
    http://www.pump-n-seal.com

Very easy to use and the seals last a long time!
    One jar has not been opened in 6 months and the seal is still perfect!
    That jar is my private stash that i am trying my best to ignore for at least another 6 months!

Fame Is A Vapor and poonman like this.
  13. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Astralnaut

this is a widely debated topic

some like vacuum seal, some say that pulls out the humidity of the herb too much.

some like to try to preserve humidity with paks

some like to store dry, then rehydrate as necessary.

all have their pros and cons, but i am of the last batch and i'll give you my reasons.

first, thc and cbd(n)s are most degraded by oxygen and light (like most things). so these are the most important things to remove. storing it in the dark solves the second. vacuum sealing, mason jars, no repeated opening and closing once cured to desired humidity, etc. solve the bulk of first issue, oxygen.

i have used the paks and have found the risk of mold to be too high. i have dried weed out and stored non-refrigerated for over 3 yrs. and while it wasn't the tastiest herb, it was still stoney. probly down to 85% from peak. i rehydrate by storing with lettuce until the herb is at desired moisture, then removing lettuce and giving it a few more days for the moisture to even out thru the bud.

good luck and hope these thoughts help add perspective

14. brewer

brewer Well-Known Member

I treat mine like beer hops, a cousin to cannabis, which are degraded by light, oxygen, and warm temperature; I flush the bag with nitrogen, vacuum pack them , and store in the chest freezer. Even stuff I use often--I take from the freezer--it shreds, or more-like shatters, in the grinder easily that way.

Don't know if it's the best, but it works and flavor is outstanding for long periods of storage.

grokit, Fame Is A Vapor and Hoops like this.
  15. Fame Is A Vapor

Fame Is A Vapor EVOnaut

I get my jars from HerbPreserve http://www.herbpreserve.com/ Special amber glass, airtight jars, for preserving herbs of all kinds. I'm extremely happy with them, great deals on their site. I bought 2 half-oz jars and got a free 1 eighth jar (they got funky weed names for 'em like "white widow" and "xxx og", but describe their capacity, too) and also a free "gram" jar that is super convenient for storing on-the-go, or for-the-day, etc. You can get them in apothecary style, or screw-top, etc. I opted for screw top, and am glad that I did. These things are perfect, IMO!

This reminds me....if I'm storing for long term, like over 2 months, I'll fill my jars up with argon gas. I get mine from VinAssure http://www.vinassure.com/ - made for storing fine wine in restaurants, but is real handy and portable - came with two tanks. I'm still on the first tank and I've had these things for years, granted I don't store herb longer than 2 months all that often...BUT WHEN I DO I CHOOSE DOS EQUIS!! Most of the time though, with the Herb Preserve jars, I find that there's no need to vacuum seal, remove oxygen, or anything like that for short-term storage. If my herb is super dry, I'll cut off a tiny bit of real sponge, soak in water/squeeze it dry, and stick it in my jar for a few hours to rehydrate the herb (don't let it touch the herb directly, though!). If I think it needs more, I'll leave it in longer. That's it. [imo: rehydrating the herb too much will remove/dull the taste of the herb, but the taste can be brought back by simply waiting for the herb to dehydrate back to a more appropriate level of hydration]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    Bob Loblaw, poonman and lazylathe like this.
  16. aceskace

aceskace Member

Hi All,

This might be off topic, but any ideas how long i could store herbs (without affecting it in any ways). And what would be the best way to store i.e. freezing, vacuum sealing etc. I am now in a situation where access to herbs is restricted so i will be stocking up

Cheers and thanks for reading

PS - enjoying my 2 Solos :rofl:

17. cityslang

cityslang A taste on the tongue

:rofl:
    Put it in a hermetically sealed jar with as little air as possible and store it in a dry cool dark place.

Air heat and light are a killer combination AFAIK. It should keep a year like this at least?

aceskace likes this.
  18. ataxian

ataxian California

[​IMG]

No Frost?
    As a flower so so!
    Sometimes we have to cut our lost!
    Made it into SHATTER.
    [​IMG]
    SOLO FUEL!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Dr. Soxhlet, Pipes, CarolKing and 2 others like this.
  19. spoutti

spoutti Well-Known Member

I tried the humipack way. Got excellent results, exept with my purple kush. It completly lost it sweet taste. So I would advice against it, or try it on a small quantity and compare. I went with airless mason jars and get great results months later.

I store my abv in my cvault now.

20. Caligula

Caligula Maximus

Jyarz.

RUDE BOY, placetime and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  21. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

From extensive reading, it seems like the experts agree that freezing of buds is VERY BAD as the trichomes get super brittle when frozen and get broken off. I was going to freeze my meager stash as it needs to last a long time but will do cool and dark instead.

Caligula likes this.
  22. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

Best way to store it is in non-plastic air tight containers and store that container in a cool dark place. I've stored my weed in Air Tight Space Case containers that won't let in any light and then put those containers in air tight Mason Jar and store those a dark dresser drawer. I've had bud stored this way for over a year and it was just as potent as the day I bought it. Was a bit dryer though, but that didn't affect potency. Just lost a bit of taste.

aceskace likes this.
  23. °k

°k Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance

+1

I have 3 JyARz and 1 tightvac, the JyARz don't leak smell but the tightvac does and what I have at the moment is not that smelly, plus the glass lining of the JyARz is just great to keep it neutral for your material.
    They come in different colors and soon in different sizes, plus the owner of the company sounds like someone who is super nice, check out his thread on FC, it's full of happy customers.

RUDE BOY, Quetzalcoatl and Caligula like this.
  24. aceskace

aceskace Member

thanks for all the advice, i looked at Jyarz, but they are way to small. I will have to store about 1 pound of herb

25. cawshook

cawshook Solod out.

Smaller containers rather than one large container for sure. Vacuum sealed bags?

aceskace likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors