storage boxes, stash jars, shelves, etc...How do YOU store your herb/concentrates and vapes

Spocks_Katra

Ive been on a search for a good stash box to store my herb/wax and my vapes (mighty, air, enano, etc) and it got me thinking, what do y'all use to store all your stuff?

whether it is stored on shelves, in bags, a box, etc, how do you all keep everything organized?

Feel free to share pics, links, advice, or anything else I may have left out

Ive been using my shelves and my nightstand to store my herb/vapes but am looking for something better!
vape on:rockon:

Monsoon

For shatter, which is what I mostly use now, I keep about a gram of each strain in OilSlick Stack containers and larger amounts wrapped in parchment in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

For flowers, I've played around with Boveda packs to maintain moisture and freshness but I've found nothing works better than using vacuum bags with a sealer. If I vaped flowers daily I'd keep a small stash out but for occasional use it's great and even after a couple months it's still as fresh and nice as when I grabbed it.

The Stranger

Account Closed
I recently put my stuff in this display cabinet my brother had.
2qvfDCJ.jpg

The long wooden thing in the back on the middle shelf is where I keep my vape accessories. If I'm ever traveling or for all other random stuff including weed, which I keep in mason jars, I put in one of these.
ammo-tin.jpg

At first it was jars, then jars with boveda, then jars with no boveda's ever again... tried ordering 62% from two different vendors... There have been two instances where I feel like a lot of the good smell was lost to those boveda packs. Wanted to believe, but won't be messing with that stuff anytime soon.

Now day's I'm thinking screw jars, I just keep them in bags, and put the bags in a tote, I occasionally drop a boveda in the tote, but not directly with the herbs.

little maggie

I have a storage container designed for coffee. I've been thinking of trying that. Right now I use screw jars.

little maggie,

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Just ordered some xs cvaults w/ boveda 62. Read about the smell absorption, but it gets back once you take the bud out.. Guess I read it somewhere over at the boveda thread. It has to do with the process that takes place in the material. The smell is due to the natural aging of the plants - this is stopped with boveda to maintain taste and potency of the material .. Take it with a grain of salt, I don't remember further details but you should find it over there.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@legalcloud so your concerned about boveda being detrimental to flavour, but happy to shove your precious trichomes in a static, plastic bag???
Are you not concerned with potency then???

As long as you burp you jars with the boveda at the beginning of the cure, you allow the packs to release back into the atmosphere outside the jar...
This just allows a more controlled cure, I dont have to worry about overdrying or mould of any sort...

Boveda must be used in conjunction with some common sense...

In all honesty I have found that my flavour is better preserved when using boveda as opposed to not...

And I keep my flowers a long time, I do a 90 day cure...I have some 6 month old flowers that smell and taste amazing, perfectly cured...

I know man, I have been using jars as storage for years, and still use them, but only as personal jars now... Two distinct instances I have used a jar with a boveda and things got smelly in a bad way, and they seemed to be doing just fine before... maybe it's something that happened that I can't put my finger on... I'm no expert, but I did buy a hydrometer and all that, and do pay attention to smell/flav. I guess I would just advise to use with caution... The bad smell can be a slipery slope!... I really wanna try storing with nitrogen.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Nitrogen storage does sound like a good idea, Iv never been happy with bog standard air...
When you say a bad smell, can you elaborate...
Was it a moisture smell, mould????
Or was it a chlorophyll smell???
Or something else???

Obviously there will be a point where the boveda pack will become saturated, but common sense shouldnt let it get this far, I suppose if this happened in early cure, the boveda may hold some undesirables as well as the moisture, then as the weed cures out, it starts to draw on them undesirables from the pack, leeching into the herb...

But as long as you burp your jars for the first 20 days, all should be fine...

kellya86,

Spocks_Katra

I have also found that empty Medicine Rx bottles work really well to preserve bud and keep it smell proof

Spocks_Katra,
Nitrogen storage does sound like a good idea, Iv never been happy with bog standard air...
When you say a bad smell, can you elaborate...
Was it a moisture smell, mould????
Or was it a chlorophyll smell???
Or something else???

Obviously there will be a point where the boveda pack will become saturated, but common sense shouldnt let it get this far, I suppose if this happened in early cure, the boveda may hold some undesirables as well as the moisture, then as the weed cures out, it starts to draw on them undesirables from the pack, leeching into the herb...

But as long as you burp your jars for the first 20 days, all should be fine...
Hmm what kinda smell... They went from smelling fruity... To smelling like a barn... No BAD tastes but they lost a great fruity smell and taste, figured it was mold, but couldn't find any, and the stems looked nice like they should, not rotten... I'm not sure what you mean by smell of chlorophyl... Does it smell like a barn/weak girl scout cookies?

Dare I consider that maybe the flavor was added artificially by producer/seller? Sure did consider that...

Read a lot about them be for I bought them, tons of good review. Wish I could say they worked perfectly for me.

Jyars are cool for sure, feels really quality, but I only use them for nuggets now... If you put ground up bud in there it can be hard to get out....

Last edited by a moderator:
legalcloud,

The Stranger

Account Closed
At first it was jars, then jars with boveda, then jars with no boveda's ever again... tried ordering 62% from two different vendors... There have been two instances where I feel like a lot of the good smell was lost to those boveda packs. Wanted to believe, but won't be messing with that stuff anytime soon.

Now day's I'm thinking screw jars, I just keep them in bags, and put the bags in a tote, I occasionally drop a boveda in the tote, but not directly with the herbs.
I'm glad you posted this because I was going to start using Boveda packs. Now I don't know what I'll do, but I will be more weary.

The Stranger,
Reactions: legalcloud
I'm glad you posted this because I was going to start using Boveda packs. Now I don't know what I'll do, but I will be more weary.

It's cheap and maybe you will like the results... But just make sure you can check on them daily. Before I ordered them I felt I was at the point I "needed" to try them! Get a hydrometer to, I have fun moving that thing around and checking to see what's up.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Sounds to me like it dried to quick, this causes cellular damage and that hay smell. This is impossible to fix once it's happened in my experience ....

And this is why I like boveda, they control the humidity and stop my weed drying too quick, you want a nice long drying and curing process, the longer the better, draw that moisture out as slow as possible, and boveda aids this by giving some mould protection during this important time...

The Stranger

Account Closed
Sounds to me like it dried to quick, this causes cellular damage and that hay smell. This is impossible to fix once it's happened in my experience ....

And this is why I like boveda, they control the humidity and stop my weed drying too quick, you want a nice long drying and curing process, the longer the better, draw that moisture out as slow as possible, and boveda aids this by giving some mould protection during this important time...
So do you only use them when you're curing your own? Or even if you by some that should be already cured?

Keeping it at an optimum humidity sounds like the best way to go about storing larger amounts but even before this post I was weary about having any nuggets touching the packs directly. Is there anything harmful in the packs that could transfer with contact?

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I use them for a curing aid and long term storage, the curing process continues upto 6 months, after then there is no benifit...

So Iv just harvested, it's low humidity here so I've had to go from drying, to curing jars quite quick to avoid that cellular damage, as it would have dried too quick...
So I chuck 2oz per jar with 4 x 62% boveda packs, while the bud is still sticky, but the stems nearly snap...

I then burp jars for 15 min's 3 times a day, for a week...

Then once a day for 15 min's for another week...

Then just a quick open for a week...

Then just once a week for next 4 weeks...

Then it is fairly nicely cured and it can just sit in storage, obviously this is all done in complete darkness as uv degrades thc...

So that's how I use boveda, if you go onto the 'what's in your vape right now' thread, there is a pic of a nice nug of mine, it's 4 months old and very nice....

I use them for a curing aid and long term storage, the curing process continues upto 6 months, after then there is no benifit...

So Iv just harvested, it's low humidity here so I've had to go from drying, to curing jars quite quick to avoid that cellular damage, as it would have dried too quick...
So I chuck 2oz per jar with 4 x 62% boveda packs, while the bud is still sticky, but the stems nearly snap...

I then burp jars for 15 min's 3 times a day, for a week...

Then once a day for 15 min's for another week...

Then just a quick open for a week...

Then just once a week for next 4 weeks...

Then it is fairly nicely cured and it can just sit in storage, obviously this is all done in complete darkness as uv degrades thc...

So that's how I use boveda, if you go onto the 'what's in your vape right now' thread, there is a pic of a nice nug of mine, it's 4 months old and very nice....

Watching a 6 month cure would be a good time! 15mins a day 3 times a day, maybe that what I should have been shooting for, with the jar that it most recently happened to. It was really fresh and had a fruity smell smoked well in a joint, with a nice hint of fruity or whatever.

Roommate puts it in a jar, and I'm telling him hey man its a little fresh for that, but we open them daily so didn't think it was a big deal.... I checked on it 2 days later, roommate said he did the day before, I had to pull it because I thought it was ruined, put it in a bag, its still got moisture, but just none of the good smell anymore.

The other jar that this happened to, was some blueberry that was very very berry. It was really dry when I got it... decided I like it so much, I wanted to hold onto some long term, weeks went by, realized I had bought boveda's and popped one of the small ones in the jar.... and these are the biggest jars kern makes figuring there is room for a tiny boveda pack ... check on it the next 3 days, and same thing pulled it cause I thought it was getting ruined.

A lot of people on here really know what their talking about, I do not, its just my experience, felt like once a day was enough, but somehow, it got screwed up. I have used them without the jar getting ruined before, I would have recommended them at that point. Losing the Blueberry was so sad, and now that this new jar has gone bad, I'm scared!!!

MinnBobber

I find Boveda 62% to be awesome for long term storage. But they cannot work miracles on herb that was not grown/flushed/or cured properly.
Legalcloud, your herb that was dry when you got it and sat for weeks and then added Boveda, that can help but the damage is done, it can up the humidity level BUT not repair the weed. With added humidity, the smell can then blossom--the smell of herb that was semi-wrecked by improper cure/ too dry storage and then brought back somewhat.
I find most dispensary bud to be too wet--they want it sold and gone ASAP. When I asked a shop mgr how long they cured their bud, she proudly proclaimed 10 days, like that was really great. BUT, that can and was saved when I bought it. It was too wet but not ruined/ yet. I cured and burped it until stable where no more burping is needed. I just had to go take a whiff and it smells great, better than the day I bought it 22 months ago !!! But that herb was organically grown, properly flushed, was great great herb but the drying and curing process was not finished.

I whole heartedly recommend Boveda packs as they are fantastic in my experience--never a bad cure, never any mold, always perfect retention.
But adding Bovedas to "bad herb" does not miraculously make it better.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
For long term storage, I use Mason jars with boveda packs.
zjWWbBx.jpg

For soon-to-be-vaped storage I use these cute glass jars.
NRPcYUp.jpg

But my prized possession is my "now serving" storage container which was hand made by a good friend of mine with the vaporist's needs in mind. It has a shallow bowl for easy loading of most vape stems.
sWOP3L7.jpg

ufoIbe9.jpg

:peace:

Last edited:

Smelly Dog

I keep my main stash in a Cvault with a Boveda 62% humidity pack. I pull out about an eighth of bud from my Cvault and grind it all up at once and stash that grind in a small JyARz Chico, i vape about an eighth a week .

I buy a half ounce once a month when I hook up, I re-up every month even if I have enough bud in my Cvault. I live in a shitty prohibition state.

Cvault and JyARz for me, mason jars would work just as well IMHO.

woolspinner

For long term storage, I use Mason jars with boveda packs.
zjWWbBx.jpg

For soon-to-be-vaped storage I use these cute glass jars.
NRPcYUp.jpg

But my prized possession is my "now serving" storage container which was hand made by a good friend of mine with the vaporist's needs in mind. It has a shallow bowl for easy loading of most vape stems.
sWOP3L7.jpg

ufoIbe9.jpg

:peace:

I feel like a cool kid, because this is pretty similar to what I do! Mason jars for the stuff we grew, cute little sealed spice jars (very similar to yours) for the stuff in rotation. I do not have a "now serving" I just keep the small amount pre-ground in with the in-use bud.

We used boveda to up the humidity on our Jilly Bean because it dried too long and was low humidity for the initial cure. Got it up to 61% and removed the boveda for the remainder of cure. Held at 60%, so no need to have the boveda in there, I guess.

Also to the OP - I hate pulling things out of a box to use. I have a messy end table where everything lays out - cleaning tools, packing tools, mouthpieces, aromatherapy cups (Underdog!), essential oils, cans (Haze!), and, of course, the devices themselves.

woolspinner,
Reactions: Stu
Top Bottom