Stoner Fire Safety

I'm new to the forum and have found lots of good info. here. Just started looking for a new vape and was surprised by the total abscence of any fire safety ratings for any vaporizers. For example UL(Underwriters Labortories) Listed, CSA, or the European standard for fire safety. That seems like quite a liability for an electrical device with a heater inside.
I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm good and blazed, I tend to forget little things like leaving the stove on. Sometimes I just fall asleep and leave stuff on like the computer, tv or lights. I'm concerned about forgetting about the vaporizer and leaving it on or plugged in after use.
Am I missing something here, or is there just no testing or standard fire safety certifications on any vaporizers currently on the market? It seems like all these vaporizer makers are in such a hurry to package and sell stuff that they are overlooking minimum life safety testing. I guess we will know in a few years when there are a rash of fires breaking out from cheap cheesy made uncertified and untested electrical heating devices.

greenblaze,

lwien

Well, this site has been up for a few years and there hasn't been any reported issues with vapes causing any fires and you would think that there are more people using a variety of vaporizers here than just about anyplace else.

UL approval costs money and would, no doubt, add to the cost of what we are currently paying for vaporizers, which to many, is already too high.

I would venture to say that there is more of a fire danger from people using flames to combust than there is with electrical vapes.

That being said though, there are some vaporizer manufacturers that put more of an emphasis on safety than others.

lwien,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i think the thinking is that aroma therapy devices are not going to cause a fire - no more than a stick of incense ... user beware, perhaps?

But i hear you ... my vape is battery powered, so it can't do too much damage before the batteries poop out, plus it has a 7.5 minute automatic shutoff (with 2 minute time extensions as needed and if still conscious).

Checking into certifications is on my punch list. i want to get Medicare purchase approval for the Bud Toaster.

Hippie Dickie,

OO

Technical Skeptical
if safety is a concern, the herbalaire has a 30 minute shutoff, where if you forget about it, it shuts itself off.

OO,
Great ideas! Thanks guys. I didn't know there was a battery powered vapeorizer and I was considering the HA already and didn''t know it also had automatic shutoff. A nice feature. I wonder if any have limit switches , fuses and or circut breakers in case of dead shorts and stuff.
(with 2 minute time extensions as needed and if still conscious).

Hilarious!

UL approval costs money and would, no doubt, add to the cost of what we are currently paying for vaporizers, which to many, is already too high.

I know that it would add the inital purchase price, however I think avereged out over tens of thousands of units wouldn't cost that much more and I think most people would be willing to shell out a few extra bucks with the peace of mind having it UL Listed or CSA.

greenblaze,

lwien

greenblaze said:
I know that it would add the inital purchase price, however I think avereged out over tens of thousands of units wouldn't cost that much more and I think most people would be willing to shell out a few extra bucks with the peace of mind having it UL Listed or CSA.

But that's the problem. What vapor manufacture sells tens of thousands of units other than possibly S&B and Vapir and possibly 7th Floor but even they are competing in a very competitive market to a market that really doesn't put much value into things like this, for most are taking the gamble and breaking the law by using a vape in the first place, so taking a gamble on a vape not catching fire is, by comparison, much less of a risk.

Would I like to see UL approval on vapes? Yeah, but I think that most users don't even know what UL means, although if marketed correctly, could be a major talking point by explaining the benefits of UL approval.

I think I just contradicted myself.......... :uhoh:

lwien,
But that's the problem. What vapor manufacture sells tens of thousands of units other than possibly S&B and Vapir and possibly 7th Floor but even they are competing in a very competitive market to a market that really doesn't put much value into things like this, for most are taking the gamble and breaking the law by using a vape in the first place, so taking a gamble on a vape not catching fire is, by comparison, much less of a risk.

An interesting point. I'm not a business owner but I think I understand the high cost of setting up and running a business. We are (I believe) at an exciting point in history maybe even a crossroads where the end of prohibition seems immenent and whole new industries [sustainable industries] are sprouting up. For example solar panels, high speed rail, electric cars and of course herbal vaporizers.

Just because people don't understand what UL listed means and are clueless when it comes to the NEC (national electric code) dosen't mean they should not be protected by a minimum of regulations and public safety laws. There are also many people who do use these appliances leaglely.(medical mj patients and Canadians).

Just as taxes are the cost of admission to a civil society so are business regulations the cost of admission to the public market place. Without them you have a football game with no yard lines, goal lines or referees. You have freeways with no traffic laws or cops. You have electrical heaters good at starting fires. You have boiler or natural gas explosions without inspectors You have building structres ready for collapse without building inspectors.

As an educated customer, I have the choice to buy or not buy an appliance that I feel would jepordize my own safety or that of my family. However as you mentioned most people don't know what UL listed means esp. a bunch of stoners. I suppose that's why forums like this one exist to educate the public.

There are other ways people can protect themselves if they happen to loose consciousness when high. You could hook up a light timer switch and then plug your vape into that and set the timer . Just make sure it can handle the current draw of the vape and that it's UL listed.

I think until I can find one that is UL listed or CSA or European Union listed I will stay happy with my bong and glass pipe collection. Better safe than sorry. And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR folks!

greenblaze,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
greenblaze said:
I think until I can find one that is UL listed or CSA or European Union listed I will stay happy with my bong and glass pipe collection.

Bongs and pipes require flame, which in my opinion makes them way more hazardous than vaporizers that don't have the UL or CSA sticker.

Incidentally, the power supply for my Extreme is UL approved, and I will bet that is true for every vaporizer out there that uses a brick or a wall wart.

pakalolo,

max

Out to lunch
Incidentally, the power supply for my Extreme is UL approved, and I will bet that is true for every vaporizer out there that uses a brick or a wall wart.
Just to be clear, UL listing for vape power supplies/AC adapters is only going to apply to the power supply itself. Unless there's a recent entry to the vape market that I'm not aware of, I believe the Extreme/V-tower and Volcano are the only UL listed vapes. I'm sure that a lot of other models could pass the UL tests, but it is expensive.

It seems like all these vaporizer makers are in such a hurry to package and sell stuff that they are overlooking minimum life safety testing.
What kind of testing are you thinking is necessary? Safety measures to insure that a vape can't catch on fire under any circumstances, or just reasonably foreseeable risk, which is UL listing? What do you mean by "life safety testing"? Sounds like something a car manufacturer would have to do.

I guess we will know in a few years when there are a rash of fires breaking out from cheap cheesy made uncertified and untested electrical heating devices.
The cheap, crappy models have been out plenty long enough to start burning up. Like most electrical products, they don't catch on fire, they just quit working. You're free to be as careful as you like, but I think you're overdoing the fire concern. If UL listing gives you a sense of safety, buy an E or a 'cano.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
max said:
Just to be clear, UL listing for vape power supplies/AC adapters is only going to apply to the power supply itself. Unless there's a recent entry to the vape market that I'm not aware of, I believe the Extreme/V-tower and Volcano are the only UL listed vapes. I'm sure that a lot of other models could pass the UL tests, but it is expensive.

Thanks max, I didn't know the Extreme had full UL approval. I did know that the UL label only applies to the power supply, that's why I was careful to word it the way I did. Vaporizer manufacturers are using off-the-shelf power supplies so that why I think virtually all of them have that level of approval.

pakalolo,
Top Bottom