Stok Pen Style Vaporizer -- Warning -- Melted Plastic

HrvatskaChicity

Hey everyone. I've used this forum as a resource for awhile but am saddened by the circumstances that led me to make my first post.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a "Stok" brand pen style vaporizer at a LHS. Here's their website: http://stokusa.com/home.htm I was about to get a Cloud but was talked out of it by the store employee who recommended I go for the Stok. He said he had one and it was much more reliable. I thought it would be the safer bet because there was plastic not too far above the heating element in the Cloud. The Stok uses a new "F5 Funnel Cloud" cartridge which is supposed to be a titanium funnel encompassing the ceramic dish and heating element. I thought the only plastic was the clear outer casing, which is quite insulated from the heating element.

Before using, I tested this pen by holding the button with the cartridge still empty, watching for "mystery vapor" coming from the red hot heating element. There were no vapor or fumes visible so I thought I was good to go. Low and behold when I finally pulled off the plastic outer casing of the cartridge, I was disgusted. The wires that ran up to the heating element were coated in plastic and in areas this coating had been melting right in front of one of the air draw holes. You can see the blue stuff above that hole in the picture is melted plastic. As if this wasn't bad enough there are these mystery fibers, also visible in the pics. Not sure if this is from the wick, strands of melted plastic, or some fiberglass but either way, this should NOT be in the air path. I'm sickened to think what I've been inhaling these past weeks...

Besides warning everyone, I also wanted to ask for help in terms of making the best of the situation. From what I've seen many of these pens use standard ego e cig batteries etc. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the style of battery I have from the Stok and if there are safe cartridges I could screw on to it. I went to another LHS that carried Omicron, Ophos and Persei vapes. The cartridge from the Omicron (which is supposed to be very safe, right?) wouldn't screw onto my battery but I've heard there are adapters that could make it work? I'm very new to e-cigs/pen vapes and would be open to all recommendation on how to make the best of this precarious stituation. Ideally I want to save money and not have to be a whole new "kit" but I will if I have to.

f2vshx.jpg

28u3fxw.jpg

25jjbb9.jpg

Thank you in advance for reading and for your helpful suggestions/recommendations.

HrvatskaChicity,

josh mac

socalog
I am very interested in this same thing. I have a similar pen called the "blunt-e", which is just a rebranded ego. My buddy gave it to me and it has a liquid cartridge for oil. The problem is i cant find that liquid in so cal and i want to start using waxes. Do anyone know of an attachment per-say that would allow that with this vape?

josh mac,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
My advice: re-branded e-cigs are worthless to me. I wouldn't hit one if it were given to me for free. There's better things to put your oil into. Perhaps a simple adapter (is it 510 to 601 for Omicron? I honestly don't know) would be it? Someone'll be around in a little while to help me and you.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: thesoloman

Beyonder420

Same problems, no wicks either, like the wicks burned off or they never had them? Found a few others online say they burned their wicks off too? Seems odd.

I noticed the newer versions don't even have power leads running exposed, it looks like they continue the connection from the battery via the center pole?

Beyonder420,

tepictoton

I can suggest checking out the BHOLT thread, I own one myself and have been very happy with it...their attys run on 510threading so should work on your battery...:2c:

A lot of good has come up in the dabbler thread from vaporbrothers, maybe that is worth a check too, I don't know for sure if they have 510threading...

tepictoton,
Reactions: bholt

Beyonder420

I don't want to give them free links, so you'll have to fix the 'dot' but this page says that kit is 710 threading only?

http://stokusa dot com/products/stok-vap-silver-kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Beyonder420,

Beyonder420

Nice.. I just got a "wax-t atomizer" with 2 spare coils and variable voltage pass-thru 1000mAh eGo-T 2 with 510 threads, for half the retail price of the SToK, only to find that the wax-t is 710 thread compatible.
6OMoq8w.jpg
So now I have a backup battery, plus the plastic sleeve and pen-top of the F5 funnel fit onto the wax-t almost perfectly, the only hitch being the metal 'sleeve' has no stop point. It's not better than the glass bulb at all, but nice if I really needed a stealthy to-go look. :p

So far the 4.5v 'high' voltage setting on the new battery is rocking my world though.

To match it with the smaller/lighter SToK battery I really have to run it 2 times for about 3s each and then on the 3rd run I can take a little nice hit.

Beyonder420,
Top Bottom