Sticky Brick Junior by Sticky Brick Labs

droog77

I received my Walnut Jr. I’m having quite a bit of trouble with the technique. Still struggling between no vapor at all versus combustion.

I can’t recall who it was, but thanks to whichever member described the sound you get when you have proper heating going on. This is helping and I am improving, but it seems as if the “sweet spot” is particularly small. It seems a lot less forgiving than other reports would imply.

I’ve watched a ton of videos. I know what I’m doing is basically correct (until is assembled correctly). It’s a matter of technique at this point, I think. But I am wondering about something. My intake appears to be bent at a greater angle, and the tube is crimped to a much greater degree than on any of the other pictures I’ve seen. I’m going to make my first attempt to post a photo. If it works, please tell me what you think!

https://imgur.com/a/

orhNi

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Hm, can't see much difference to mine...
I started with a small flame (1/2inch) holding it constant with the inner blue flame at the glass entrance level and slowed down the draw speed until it feels warmer, then go faster...
In general, a constant heating/torch position leaves only one variable left for temp adjust - the draw speed :2c:

droog77

I’ve played around with flame length. Some of the videos show a very small flame being used.

I started with that, but wasn’t getting any vapor. Increased it to the recommended 1” or so. I can get vapor sometimes with a longer flame, but now combustion is a problem too.

Trying to use the technique where I’m holding the flame in one spot and using draw speed to control temp, but I don’t think I’m reacting quickly enough to prevent combustion.

I’ve been using a DynaVap M as my daily driver for months and I’m used to much hotter vapor. I think that might be throwing me off.

droog77,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
It's about playing with those 2 variables - torch and draw, many variations work.
My method for small flame length is to draw as slow and gentle as i possibly can.
Or maybe try it the other way around, use a comfortable steady draw speed and slowly dial up the torch length...

johnnyCanuck

It’s all in the carb. As soon as you feel heat hit your tongue, adjust the carb opening with your finger. As you open it up a bit, it decreases the amount of heat going through your bowl. I find if your flame is powerful enough, it doesn’t matter as much how long or how close you have it to the intake tube. It’s all about the carb. If you lower your draw speed, and you find the temp too warm or about to combust, open the carb a little further as your inhaling. Same with increasing draw speed, you’ll find you may need to slightly close the carb a bit to increase temp, and therefore, vapor production. While using it at first, I was unaware of how important that hole for air intake is.

You’ll notice once you find the “sweet” spot for the flame, heat doesn’t go through your bowl or combust until you start inhaling. Be aware if this and adjust your finger covering the carb.

Hope this helps and I’m not just on crack or something stupid like that. :)

Also. Try not taking a super long pull while your having a moment of good vapor production. It hits HARD and is convection, so you can always shorten your pull and take a second pull instead of one long one and not waste any material. This actually decreases your chance of really charring or combusting your load.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyCanuck

If you’d like to practice what I’m trying to describe, you can probably do so by taking draws from your SBJ without any material in it. That way you can concentrate on your carb adjustment with the flame in it’s sweet spot at the intake tube vs the intensity of heat going through the air path. This might train your brain to micro carb adjustments when you eventually try with an actual load.

You didn't mention what you are doing on the carb. Plug the carb totally until you get the hang of it vape dr....er, @droog77 :).
Start with your finger totally plugging the carb and slowly open/lift/adjust your finger so that More air will go through the carb hole as your inhaling. Or less as you adjust your finger to cover it more.

Last edited by a moderator:

IntoTheVoid

Pride Goeth Before A Fall
I always have my carb closed until the end of the hit and have never combusted. Flame length is between 1/2 and 1”. I generally start with the outside flame just at the lip of the entrance of the intake, but not inside. Also I find it easier to control bowl heat as long as the bowl is at least half full, regardless of how much you plan on vaping. With a 1/2 to full bowl you get even heat through the material. If you put a pinch in and the screen is visible, I find it more inconsistent and requiring more careful technique. You might get small hot spots that look like combustion but they are just little areas that are fully extracted surrounded by green. Just stir between hits and those areas will be spread out. If you don’t have white ash or fire, there is no combustion.

Because it’s full convection you can fill the bowl and just sip or rip as you wish. A full bowl will last me 2-3 days since I only take 3 hits before bed. So I hit it a few times and go to bed, leaving the rest for the next day. It’s perfectly fine that way.

johnnyCanuck

I always have my carb closed until the end of the hit and have never combusted. Flame length is between 1/2 and 1”. I generally start with the outside flame just at the lip of the entrance of the intake, but not inside. Also I find it easier to control bowl heat as long as the bowl is at least half full, regardless of how much you plan on vaping. With a 1/2 to full bowl you get even heat through the material. If you put a pinch in and the screen is visible, I find it more inconsistent and requiring more careful technique. You might get small hot spots that look like combustion but they are just little areas that are fully extracted surrounded by green. Just stir between hits and those areas will be spread out. If you don’t have white ash or fire, there is no combustion.

I find it really depends on the torch that you’re using. The Eagle torch that came with the SBJ is pretty damn weak and will not combust your material. When using our Creme Brule torch, you’re almost guaranteed to combust unless you learn to control your use of the carb With your finger.

droog77

Thanks for all of the tips! I neglected to describe my use of the carb. I’ve been keeping it covered the whole time, just releasing it at the end of a hit to clear the unit and cool the material.

I guess I just need more practice. I typically have just one session a day, so I don’t get to practice as much as I’d like.
(Great suggestion about practicing with no material in it, jonnyCanuck!)

I received an Honest torch with my unit. It seems to work fine. Large range of adjustment for flame size, and can maintain a flame, whether it’s large or small.

Thanks for all of the advice!

NizzyJones

Yeah, the vapor is much cooler than I expected which makes it tough. Try to watch the mouthpiece if you can. You may have to take one for the team and have a hazy day to really get it down ;)

Edit: and when your technique is right vapor production is pretty much instant so it never hurts to take a shorter draw and see how you're doing vs taking a long draw and scorching it at the end.

Last edited:

Whissmu

It's about playing with those 2 variables - torch and draw, many variations work.
My method for small flame length is to draw as slow and gentle as i possibly can.
Or maybe try it the other way around, use a comfortable steady draw speed and slowly dial up the torch length...
+1
Plug the carb totally until you get the hang of it vape dr....er, @droog77 :).
+1
Edit: and when your technique is right vapor production is pretty much instant so it never hurts to take a shorter draw and see how you're doing vs taking a long draw and scorching it at the end .
+1

A while ago I made an image for a colleague who had the same problem, I only show my favorite position :science:, but it does not matter if the flame enters straight, sideways or at an angle works great anyway!:rockon:

It was one of my vapes harder to master, but with practice it becomes automatic :luv:

A few tricks for me to avoid combustion in each draw :goon:
- before finishing -> aspire strong
- If you feel very hot -> aspire strong
- if you have doubts about the time or heat you have been sucking -> aspire strong and check it

I also use my vapcap sometimes, but only at the end of enjoying with my brick, I put the ABV in my ti-wood and I rarely take out steam which affirms that I'm doing it right whith my brick !!! :clap:
happy learning (slow I guess one session per day) and enjoy your SBJ :sherlock:

IMMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Last edited:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Honest torch works like a champ for me. 1/2 - 1 inch of dark blue. Hold the dark blue away from the outer rim of the intake with the ambient heat outside the dark blue in front of the intake hole, not pointed in the tube at all. Just draw your air through that heat cloud while you move the flame around ever so slightly, like mini fist pumps, so the whole intake hole is getting its turn in the heat cloud. Adjust your draw speed and release the carb now and then and you should be good to go. I can do that with a single flame, and my triple flame with no combustion happening.
Love my two Sticky Bricks. The Jr. being a mainstay in my rotation of 4 vapes that all want to be the Alpha Vape.

GFb5jVx.jpg

Edited after doing load.

Last edited:

Dynavaper

Karma Farmer
The moment that I have been fantasizing about all day in the office:
A nice Sticky Brick hit when I come home.
And now I cannot decide whether the OG or the Junior will have to do the job for me. I think I will give them both a chance now. This is going to be good... Bye, bye Monday! :)

I love my Sticky Bricks. :love:

antispleen

Company Rep
Company Rep
The moment that I have been fantasizing about all day in the office:
A nice Sticky Brick hit when I come home.
And now I cannot decide whether the OG or the Junior will have to do the job for me. I think I will give them both a chance now. This is going to be good... Bye, bye Monday! :)

I love my Sticky Bricks. :love:
My Jr is lost in the middle of the country, at the mercy of the USPS. Sigh. At least I've got Maxx here to hold me over till she arrives.

hinglemccringleberry

I find it really depends on the torch that you’re using. The Eagle torch that came with the SBJ is pretty damn weak and will not combust your material. When using our Creme Brule torch, you’re almost guaranteed to combust unless you learn to control your use of the carb With your finger.
When I first got my Junior I accidentally combusted all the time with that little Eagle torch.

hinglemccringleberry,

IntoTheVoid

Once you get the technique down and understand the airflow of the Brick, flame length doesn’t matter as much. You’ll have the feel down and adjust accordingly as soon as you start to inhale. I have yet to combust after 3 months of owning my Jr. I just pay attention and be one with the Brick!

hinglemccringleberry

Trust me, paying attention isnt enough to avoid accidental combustion.. there was no way I wasnt screwing up in the beginning as screwing up was required for learning how to use the SBJ correctly. Using it in different ambient temps was another major hurdle, as using it correctly in one environment could be the totally wrong thing to do in a different environmemt with a different ambient temperature, which I learned the hard way. If youve never once combusted in your SB then you are superhuman in my eyes.

Meanwhile, Im the only Vapcap owner who has never accidentally combusted, because unlike the Brick, that device has a combustion safety net (the clicking cap) which makes it retardedly simple to operate with success. Yet every Vapcap owner under the sun (except me) accidentally combusts with it. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

IntoTheVoid

Trust me, paying attention isnt enough to avoid accidental combustion.. there was no way I wasnt screwing up in the beginning as screwing up was required for learning how to use the SBJ correctly. Using it in different ambient temps was another major hurdle, as using it correctly in one environment could be the totally wrong thing to do in a different environmemt with a different ambient temperature, which I learned the hard way. If youve never once combusted in your SB then you are superhuman in my eyes.

Meanwhile, Im the only Vapcap owner who has never accidentally combusted, because unlike the Brick, that device has a combustion safety net (the clicking cap) which makes it retardedly simple to operate with success. Yet every Vapcap owner under the sun (except me) accidentally combusts with it. Makes no sense.
I’ve never combusted in either my SBJr or any of my Vaps. I have both an M and a Ti Omni. I get big rips like you see in the videos on YouTube and evenly baked ABV. Every now and then I might get a tiny hot spot in my SBJr but I stir between hits when I see darker areas forming.

If im superhuman than so be it. I dunno, we are all different people here. I don’t know you from anyone else and all our experiences are different. I can only speak about mine. I see a lot of people talking about combusting. Hasn’t happened to me. I’m 4 months into my Ti Omni and 3 months into my SBJr and I’m a daily user.

IntoTheVoid,
Reactions: Hjalmark
Top Bottom