Sticky Brick Junior by Sticky Brick Labs

vapeape77

I've been experimenting with a new technique with Junior after reading all this talk about scorching and charring.

I've been pretty lucky and haven't had too much trouble with that, although I almost always have a "hot spot" of centralized heat and extraction. It can get toasty in there but not charred unless I push it too far.

I used to go for long sustained hits, using the carb and flame distance to regulate temperature. If going for a big hit I would try to hit it as long as possible which got me into trouble a couple of times.

Lately I've been experimenting with using only draw speed to regulate temperature.

I keep the intake pointed forward, I find it easier to keep an eye on everything this way. I keep the carb closed the whole time I'm heating, and only use it to clear the hit.

I use a strong flame, about an inch, maybe more. I generally place it centered in the intake, with the angle matching the intake, ~45°, or pointed down a little bit more, towards the carb. Pointing down a bit seems to raise the temperature and milk it more.

I keep the outer light blue flame flush with the intake, or just a little inside the intake.

I start with a medium to slow draw speed. Once I start to see good vapor I increase draw speed as much as possible. This makes for a shorter hit as I run out of lung capacity much sooner. However, I've found it still gives big, dense hits, and they're actually more concentrated than the hits from my old technique because I'm not opening up the carb.

So the hits are at least as big, but they feel bigger, and they're very smooth because of the fast draw speed. And the best part is I find this technique almost eliminates hot spots. Even with my massive hits there is no hot spot at all until the very end of the bowl when everything is dried out and almost spent. The bowl stays greener for longer than before, with more consistent performance from hit to hit.

This technique is actually allowing for a more even extraction than I'm used to with my Brick. I'm going to have to adjust my technique with that based on what I've learned with Junior.

Yeah I keep the carb capped whole time as well. Key for me to get an even light brown herb bake is rotating the flame around the end of flare and using a small mp also gives me a bit more control.

@jrcmang No issue with my flame on the intake with smoke showing from overheating with this method of rotating the flame around flare....

vapeape77

Happy Frizziday! Time for some bubble action, granddaddy purps running low.... Side note my shake diesel doesn't like Jr as expected, mid and top shelf pickings shine in her!
F4H6rq7.jpg

Ha am I baked.... came up with this on the go dab setup, doubt I will ever use it, but hey one more option.
fHq9QMj.jpg

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Just got my production junior...

This thing is the shit! Stickybricks took all the feedback and implemented it...I'll throw up some pics later to compare...but I am pleased.

I loved junior before, but now I SUPER love it...lol
Was torn between the splatted...but this won out three tone on the front uniform color on the back...sexy shit.

wi6g0k.jpg

vapeape77

Just got my production junior...

This thing is the shit! Stickybricks took all the feedback and implemented it...I'll throw up some pics later to compare...but I am pleased.

I loved junior before, but now I SUPER love it...lol
Was torn between the splatted...but this won out three tone on the front uniform color on the back...sexy shit.

wi6g0k.jpg
That is a killerbrick! front uniform and trifecta on the logo side, hot damn man..... sounds like @StickyBricks needed your feedback:clap:. Honestly I can't believe how often I now reach for da brick Jr

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
That is a killerbrick! front uniform and trifecta on the logo side, hot damn man..... sounds like @StickyBricks needed your feedback:clap:. Honestly I can't believe how often I now reach for da brick Jr
I'm not sure how much he NEEDED it...but the fact his ears have been open since day one shows what type of great things are in store for the company imo.

Yea the wood is sweet! I think it's the best wood item I own...polishes and whatnot are going to be in order to give this thing the preservation it deserves.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I'm not sure how much he NEEDED it...but the fact his ears have been open since day one shows what type of great things are in store for the company imo.

Yea the wood is sweet! I think it's the best wood item I own...polishes and whatnot are going to be in order to give this thing the preservation it deserves.

Take care of it

while trying something (fakebomb and 4flame) I aimed a little on the side (due to increased distance eye-flame/intake) and there is no tolerance for aiming error (with 4flames)... Saw some smoke arising and realised I charred a little my beauty.. FUUUUUUUCCCCK-me

Not too bad but enough to hate a little myself for doing it

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I gotta say, my new technique is game changing. It somehow makes for a dramatic leap in performance. I think it's the concentration and density of the vapor. The Junior was already desktop class in my opinion, and now it's just ridiculous.

The vapor is just so thick and beautiful upon exhale, it's hypnotic watching it. The tasty flavor is the only indication that it's not smoke. I check the bowl and it's perfectly even green, and then the effects hit me like a brick.

:smug:

:love:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well this makes visibility clear and aiming easier even on the old beta (which has a burn mark of its own from my poor aim)...

DDNypAh.jpg

Finally realized how the Lily wpa would work, connected via silicone for a full u (or n?) double right angle adapter, easier to use than Daisy through water with whip and more air tight (along with a much larger bowl) than Water Lily

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hi brickheads,

has anyone already gotten rid of the maple-y taste yet? I find, I can't succeed in having a pure trading session. Sometimes the wooden taste is more in the background but certainly there - sometimes, mostly during longer sessions, it dominates the flavor that I'm think I'm having some really old woody whiskey.;)
So, yeah, it's not a bad taste, but I'd like to have it less woody.:)

Thanks for anyone's tips and report.

Have I chosen the wrong wood? I thought maple should be fine. How's this with the walnut? Anyone?:)

Still loving my junior nonetheless and I'm more than happy it's in my team!

Peace, guys
:peace:

vapeape77

Hi brickheads,

has anyone already gotten rid of the maple-y taste yet? I find, I can't succeed in having a pure trading session. Sometimes the wooden taste is more in the background but certainly there - sometimes, mostly during longer sessions, it dominates the flavor that I'm think I'm having some really old woody whiskey.;)

Have I chosen the wrong wood? I thought maple should be fine. How's this with the walnut? Anyone?:)

Peace, guys

I've run about an 1/8th in my walnut SBJ and don't notice much wood taste. Certain strains are better paired with it like this Silver Bubble haze I just got, has a nice fruity taste with sandalwood hints. I'm a fan of the walnuts dark look too, ha but I want to try all the Jrs!

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Hi brickheads,

Peace, guys

I had a not very strong wood smell/taste along 3-5 sessions and now it is definetely gone for me..

hweezi

formally cwheezy
Damn, those mixed bricks are sooo good lookin'. :cool:

Soooo, the misses gave me my birthday gift early, and I fuckin' love this thing.

8Bv0cpK.jpg

Fits in perfectly!

The hype is very real with this, I've sparked a few bowls in my learning process but I'm starting to get it down. Anything you can do for cleaning? I find that the combustion taste will linger for the first two bowls after cleaning but does go away though I find the brick itself just wreaks like a dirty spoon. I know ISO isn't good for wood and I've been using hot water and q-tips but that doesn't really get rid of the smell.

Other than that this thing has completely given my Milaana a rest which really impressed and surprised me.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
@StickyBricks looking good!

@vapen00b a few suggestions :science:

First off...I am not a super taster. I vaped with junior right out the box...I don't even think I wiped the dust off and haven't noticed any taste aside from the first two bowls.

I would check the hole under the intake and make sure you aren't charring there also make sure there aren't any splinters in the hole.

Second theory is you could be going so low temp that the wood has to get heated to produce vapor...same would be true if you were torching the side of the intake and not the center...boosting some conduction properties?
...in that case I would adjust technique and go for higher temp hits that would blast instead of simmer.

Last suggestion is to coat the bowl area with a layer of warmed hash oil...let it soak in the grains and pores of the bowl area ...I have no direct evidence it would solve the problem, but it makes sense and sounds fucking awesome :rockon:

@cwheezy sounds like you got a keeper...the vape and the misses!

Enjoy your birthday and the brick :party:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I've run about an 1/8th in my walnut SBJ and don't notice much wood taste. Certain strains are better paired with it like this Silver Bubble haze I just got, has a nice fruity taste with sandalwood hints. I'm a fan of the walnuts dark look too, ha but I want to try all the Jrs!

Thanks!

I had a not very strong wood smell/taste along 3-5 sessions and now it is definetely gone for me..
Thx, what wood do you have? Also maple?
@vapen00b a few suggestions :science:

I would check the hole under the intake and make sure you aren't charring there also make sure there aren't any splinters in the hole.

Please have a look.

A4Xas5m.jpg

1BSNNyZ.jpg

(Sorry, pics are a bit blurry, couldn't focus properly)

The wood pretty rough and fibrous ... It clearly smells from up there when in use. Also you can see that the upper side hole rim is really like scorched or even burnt... It's slightly black around the hole. :(
Strange thing is, I have never even scorched my load, never pushed it that far. So this should not happen at all... Or do you guys have similar experiences with the chamber hole/upper chamber compartment?
How should I fix this @StickyBricks @Slow Draw McGraw ? I think I must sand it somehow? Are these spots surfaces supposed to be that rough from factory?

Second theory is you could be going so low temp that the wood has to get heated to produce vapor...same would be true if you were torching the side of the intake and not the center...boosting some conduction properties?
...in that case I would adjust technique and go for higher temp hits that would blast instead of simmer.

Last suggestion is to coat the bowl area with a layer of warmed hash oil...let it soak in the grains and pores of the bowl area ...I have no direct evidence it would solve the problem, but it makes sense and sounds fucking awesome :rockon:
I think it's obviously the splinters/rough surface,,,

But the oil sounds like fun... Sadly impossible for me ;)

Thanks for your help

Vapor Loop

But the oil sounds like fun... Sadly impossible for me ;)

I highly doubt this to be true, Now it may be slightly harder but impossible very doubtful, As long as you have access to flower you have access to oil. I think i will give this method a try when i get my Maple in. I just hope i don't have to make my own to do it.

StickyBricks

Manufacturer
A little discoloring at the intake hole is perfectly normal. If it continues to expand and is actually charring the wood all around the hole then there might be a problem. Through testing we have found that the wood will find its spot where the flame passes by consistently, turn blackish, but never go beyond that point.

Top Bottom