1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Stems?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by FlyingLow, Aug 25, 2014.

1. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Is there any benefit to including stems when cooking?
    More specifically, when making butter and oil.

2. Skeena

Skeena Standing stone faced like a statue.

I would think so, when you look close at them they do have trichome like hairs on them. I always include them. Would be interesting to see a before and after on some stems.

3. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

i have always thrown them out, I am glad I asked!
    Thanks!

4. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

I've always included stem when cooking. Because why the hell not? :shrug:

:peace:

Melting Pot and DDave like this.
  5. syrupy

syrupy fumed

Looked at those "hairs" on the stem, but there's no trich bubble head. :(

I throw them out. Even if there was a tiny bit of THC there, it would be offset by the huge amount of plant material that does nothing but take away from the good stuff and hurt purity. My opinion only.

From now on, I'll keep them and look for a local @Stu to give them to. :D

krusht and Stu like this.
  6. Higher than a Pterodactyl

Higher than a Pterodactyl You can call me Caveman.

I have never bothered with them. To me the amount they might contain is negligible when compared to the leaves and trimmings.

I actually go out of my way to remove them when cooking to make straining/pressing easier.

SamWin69 likes this.
  7. SamWin69

SamWin69 Member

I figure there's no harm in simmering them in with your other ABV and it's easier than taking the time to pick them out before when you can just strain it all out after when you completely done.

I have heard though that vaping/ smoking stems can give you a headache. Not sure why though

8. ean

ean Active Member

theres thc on those stems. i always put my stems in my abv container for when i make the bi monthly edible batch.

9. krusht

krusht Well-Known Member

Man, I must agree :2c: if one has so much waste that it would have some/any benefit, one has so much crop that you can't store it :leaf: and in home use, a pound or 2 of butter :science: does a lot of baking; why not keep the quality in the taste? Sticks cannot :nope: make value! ... just sayin ... :myday:

P.S. I do know that people use washed rootballs from hydro, along w/wood (trunk, branches & fan leaves) to simmer for 3 days or so, reduce & process for salves/liniments for EXTERNAL USE only - easy enough to do if one has some rural property, privacy & space & the all-important time! :myday:
    Special fun for retired healthy happy heads :rockon: & cannabis munchers :leaf: :zzz:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. NewToVaping

NewToVaping Active Member

I collect stems and put them in a kief box and get a bunch of kief over time, so there is definitely no harm in throwing them in to cook.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors