1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

StemPod by MPL

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by supershredderdan, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hippie

Hippie Well-Known Member

Is the starting resistance large enough for TC mode with a DNA chip?
    I think 0.08 is the minimum

I only went with 12 wraps on my quad build to get the resistance high enough for the Invoke to recognise the coils and enable TC

BigJr48 and jardri like this.
  2. jardri

jardri Vapor Dreams

Well I think that is the problem! My resistance is 0.054 ohms what can I do to increase resistance?

BigJr48 likes this.
  3. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Moar wire! Or thinner one. Or less coils in parallel. Series work also but it's tricky.

BigJr48, jardri and Hippie like this.
  4. Hippie

Hippie Well-Known Member

I was gonna say that ^ :) .... higher resistance (thinner or longer) or less parallel wires.

Inputting the build details into the steam-engine.org calculators will give you an idea of what you're gonna get before you start wrapping.

5. Evilevile

Evilevile Active Member

Does anyone remember the recommended TCR values for the OG Notch coils? I just toasted mine right after installing them.

I switched back to the Super Claptons. They perform better.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. Armitage

Armitage Member

Hi I’m looking for one too , no stockists in the UK as yet ?

7. jardri

jardri Vapor Dreams

I buy spares in aliexpress as it comes fast enough and its cheap. You can buy spare parts in any ecig shop you have in your city they are very common and cheap. One of the reasons I bought my Stempod was because its easy and cheap to have spares, the body itself is very durable and it is very unlikely to break. If you know how to make coils I suggest you to buy SS coil wire.

BigJr48, Vape Donkey 650 and Brisirg like this.
  8. oddjobold

oddjobold 510 Vaporist

Brought myself the super clapton wire from fastech that @Hippie suggested. Also got a jig for wrapping wires for £3. How many wraps and how wide should i make the coils? I take it the coils should not touch. Never done this before.

Just got an eds tnt stem. Think i will now install the oring seeing i will be using rimless screens with my new stem.

BigJr48 likes this.
  9. TNT_error

TNT_error Well-Known Member

The stock coil is 6 wrap 3mm spaced I believe

BigJr48 likes this.
  10. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@suppershredderdan, fix your modpodlabs link in your signature as it's linking to your instagram acct. :)

supershredderdan and BigJr48 like this.
  11. jardri

jardri Vapor Dreams

Hello friends!! I managed to achieve the holy grail of the Stempod!! Using ga20 SS 316 wire, doing 10 loops around a screwdriver I managed to make the biggest possible resistance (0,154 ohms) of the thickest possible wire in order to use TC in my DNA250 device. I had to create a custom profile and temperature is not accurate but I can get whichever level of vaporization I want setting the TC temps.

It achieves full almost black extraction with no charred spots. Draw speed does not matter neither length of the draw, it achieves perfect extraction. The coil does never even glow red so i estimate it could last years and taste is superb!! It is even clearer now than in my Milaana because the Mi will always have a slight metallic aftertaste but this thick-ass setup tastes much clearer. Battery lasts 8-9 bowls in my 3 18650 Wismec Reuleaux Dna250 mod.

The only drawback I have is that it takes 3-4 seconds for heating from room temperature to the selected temp.

I think @supershredderdan should hire me as a beta tester, I did the whole job anyways ;):science:.

12. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

Heh, if someone is to take credit for, I've been recommending your setup from the very start! :p

But yes, with these lower gauges you get some inertia in return. Not a bad thing but less instantaneous maybe. Like the difference between Zion and Milaana.

jardri likes this.
  13. enjiatt

enjiatt Well-Known Member

My favorite builds were with 18 gauge wire but its difficult to find a mod that can screw the wire down far enough.

Im currently still using my 3.6 coil in the kayfun mod with glass. The resistance is still 3.6!!! Still seems to work just fine. I have to admit I dont use TC very often. I find it easy to just use VW. Im at about 29w and dont have a need to stir.

been debating on the stempod of waiting for the Z......

Has anyone attepted to remove/cut the top portion of the Posts to have room for more wire?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    KeroZen likes this.
  14. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

Finally installed AF on a Rx Mini. Had a good session with TCR 215, 50w, 410f. Using original notched coils.

supershredderdan and Summer like this.
  15. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

Does anyone use the stock glass stem without the o-ring? I've been using a wooden stem that I got from lamart.ch along with an SB dosing capsule. I removed the o-ring.

I felt like trying the original glass stem again but found that it was too loose without the o-ring. The stem will not even stay in the sleeve.

I thought I remembered the stock glass stem working with or without the o-ring(?)

16. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

how's that config work? I tried that stem and it didn't fit, but I still had the oring in there. I'll try that out if you recommend it.

HerbieVonVapster likes this.
  17. sickmanfraud

sickmanfraud Well-Known Member

A few wraps around the outside of the stem with Teflon tape will make most stems fit. I paid less than $0.75 for a roll.

18. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

The Tubo stem holds the S&B dosing capsule well - nice fit. The stem fits snugly in the SP without the o-ring.

I don't know if it's the stem setup or if it's my SP settings, but I get uneven heating of the load with lots of charred bits mixed with green bits. If I stir the load I can get more evenly browned ABV, but stirring the load in the S&B dosing capsule is not easy.

From my experience I would not recommend this setup. I think that the Tubo stem would work better with a basket screen instead of the dosing capsule.

19. sickmanfraud

sickmanfraud Well-Known Member

I re-direct you (and anyone else having problems with the capsule stems) to my post directly above, where I suggest that teflon tape would make stems fit better also means "further away from the heating coils".

Further from the heat source could help your uneven results.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors