StemPod by MPL

HerbieVonVapster

O ring can be removed if you prefer, the catching of the basketscreen can be prevented by squishing the basket screen slightly so it grips the stem more

Mine was one the black O rings. Easer for me to remove stems without it in. Haven't tried the orange one yet I guess should give a spin.

How you doing Dan? Was wondering if you where ok ? How bad did the hurricane affect you?

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Mine was one the black O rings. Easer for me to remove stems without it in. Haven't tried the orange one yet I guess should give a spin.

How you doing Dan? Was wondering if you where ok ? How bad did the hurricane affect you?
currently out of town because of the hurricane, will probably head back tomorrow

AJS

Calm Consistency
What's everyone's main use of the StemPod? Is it your go to convection vape? Your favorite on demand? Your reliant super hard hitter? Just curious as to the niche it fills for you guys, as it does so many tasks so well. So many vapes specialize in just 1 or 2 styles but the StemPod is just a great pick for so many reasons. Can't see a reason to not own one.

I'm really loving this thing for the flaves through water, that's basically my go to use for it. It does great dry, but just phenomenal through water. Pretty easy to share wth friends and noobs too. StemPod just always shines, and gives me some insane rips.

Still calling it probably my best 0-100 vape. Of course there's lots of vapes where you can crank the temp up and rip and pray you don't combust like the lsv, Splinter, log vapes, etc, but the heater style of the StemPod perform this task most efficiently I think. Small enough get to temps very fast and be responsive to airflow to ride that dangerous line, but large enough to give those fat full bodied flavorful clouds.

Just an overall great vape. Really need to get more videos out for you guys. Gonna be a bit though, busy time coming up.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
What's everyone's main use of the StemPod? Is it your go to convection vape? Your favorite on demand? Your reliant super hard hitter?

Unfortunately it hasn't found a place in my lineup. I really wanted to like it (and still do on the conceptual level) but the potential health risk is a bit higher than my personal comfort tolerance, so I've moved on to other devices. Glad to hear it's what others are looking for, just not for me.

superdang9000,

almost there

Has anyone purchased any coils that are like the claptons that come assembled with the stempod? I’m looking to buy some in bulk and change them regularly, mine are worn out, I have a couple of sets in the notch but I don’t want to have to mess with my mod settings:nope:

almost there,
Reactions: BigJr48

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I have done several researchs and all conclude that stainless steel under 1400F does not offgass in a measurable amount. The breathable air has a higher amount of the same compounds and much other ones. The only downside is the degradation of the steel due to high temperature and oxidation. But a higher surface area and less temperature resistance is ideal because it may last years instead of weeks.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
I have done several researchs and all conclude that stainless steel under 1400F does not offgass in a measurable amount. The breathable air has a higher amount of the same compounds and much other ones. The only downside is the degradation of the steel due to high temperature and oxidation. But a higher surface area and less temperature resistance is ideal because it may last years instead of weeks.

So, where do those degraded particles go?

superdang9000,
Reactions: BigJr48

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
They dont go. They Oxidize and form rust in the surface of the coil. Once you have x amount of rust the coil´s properties vary and thus the decrease in performance. Think about it like a pipe which gets gradually clogged until it stops pouring water.

I've seen pictures of collapsed coils after they've degraded/broken down, though. That material has to be going somewhere...

superdang9000,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Well actually that often cited study on cheap ecigs found nickel and chromium particles everywhere in the tank (but the methodology was questionable and it was submerged in liquid so it's different)

Note that there are chromium and nickel particles released with SS cookware too, but they don't get inside your body via the same route. And the amounts are deemed perfectly safe.

One thing is sure, if you use a super thin wire coil and it eventually gets thinner and breaks, material had to go somewhere. Hopefully most of it should be trapped on the screens and inside the ABV/load.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
Note that there are chromium and nickel particles released with SS cookware too, but they don't get inside your body via the same route. And the amounts are deemed perfectly safe.

One thing is sure, if you use a super thin wire coil and it eventually gets thinner and breaks, material had to go somewhere. Hopefully most of it should be trapped on the screens and inside the ABV/load.

This is really the crux of why I've personally chosen not to risk it. SS cookware has been deemed safe and that may be enough to quell any concerns for some, but there are very few studies about the exact usage we're putting it through. I realize others don't have the same concern as I do, it's all a matter of personal comfort along with the risk:reward ratio. I simply don't feel compelled to use a device that I have even the slightest doubt over, especially when a smattering of other devices exist which (at least theoretically) reduce that risk.

I gave it a good go using a variety of pre-made coils, along with custom made ones with different types of wire, mesh, etc. As much as I like to tinker, I got burnt out trying to find the magic combo that gave the results I was specifically looking for. To each their own, like I said, I'm glad it's working for others. I do think it's important to hear all aspects of a vaporizer, though, bad or good so people can make informed decisions based on their personal criteria.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
In the exact moment when the coil breaks, there is a little melting and a high temperature arch in the most consricted part of the coil. It is a punctual moment when there are, in fact, some chemicals released. But our resistance readouts in the modbox should tell us when to change the coils way before this happens. And even that is not very harmful. A welder stays all the day inhaling those fumes in massive amounts ant they don´t even have to wear a mask, don´t even have a salary plus due to risk. In the other hand all electric air heaters and air dryers have glowing steel at higher temps while functioning and we all may have been using them for years without even noticing. I am speaking of quantities exponentially higher of metals being breathed for all day long for years and still no noticeable side effects. I am not saying this is not harmful, just isn´t more harmful than the air we breathe in a regular city.

PoopMachine

@PoopMachine - just curious if you've removed the sleeve and fired the SP with the coils visible? Do they heat up and glow as expected? I remember starting out in wattage mode and combusting frequently with watts set below 40, so the unit can easily deliver enough heat to produce vapor.

Indeed I have and they do glow.

My new modbox should be here tomorrow. I need to pick up some batteries. Hopefully I have better luck with this one.

PoopMachine,

fogbank

What's everyone's main use of the StemPod? Is it your go to convection vape? Your favorite on demand? Your reliant super hard hitter?

My main use of the SP is to reduce the demand on my Grasshoppers. I definitely prefer my Hoppers to the SP, but I worry about them breaking or wearing out. Whenever I don't need the convenience or stealth of the Hopper I prefer to use something else. That used to mean one of my Firefly 2s, but I haven't used them in several months.

My secondary use of the SP is for fun, experimentation, and flavor. It's just something to do - experimenting with all of the variables that are at play with the SP.

I also see the SP as somewhat more "future proof" than the Hopper. If Hopper Labs stopped selling batteries tomorrow, and no one picked up the slack, the Hopper would eventually become obsolete. Same goes for the Hopper and its parts, as a whole.

With the SP, however, I know I can replace the battery, the mod, the coils, and the stem with any of the non-proprietary components available on the market.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I found a nice copper 510 heatsink on ebay. Copper has the highest thermal conductivity and looks nice.

So, removing the o-ring does not leave a gap that lets air in?

Can use wooden stems with 18mm tapered male end?

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Hogni

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
In the exact moment when the coil breaks, there is a little melting and a high temperature arch in the most consricted part of the coil. It is a punctual moment when there are, in fact, some chemicals released. But our resistance readouts in the modbox should tell us when to change the coils way before this happens. And even that is not very harmful. A welder stays all the day inhaling those fumes in massive amounts ant they don´t even have to wear a mask, don´t even have a salary plus due to risk. In the other hand all electric air heaters and air dryers have glowing steel at higher temps while functioning and we all may have been using them for years without even noticing. I am speaking of quantities exponentially higher of metals being breathed for all day long for years and still no noticeable side effects. I am not saying this is not harmful, just isn´t more harmful than the air we breathe in a regular city.

I do understand this argument and it's a reasonable one. But, I'd need to see the data firsthand to be able to feel completely comfortable with it. I try to minimize over-exposure to well... just about everything I can... with the exception of coffee and cannabis :lol: Those are my two vices, I suppose, with VAS hot on their heels. Inhaling something with a path directly into my lungs is (at least seemingly) a far cry from being in the same room as a heater... which don't suffer from the same type of rapid degradation, generally speaking.

Anyway, my intention is not to simply criticize. I love the ingenuity of the device and Dan has some very innovative ideas. However, in my opinion, the Pod would benefit greatly from a slightly larger deck to build on. Whether that be in diameter or height clearance. That would allow larger surface area coils to be installed more readily and has the potential to satisfy both people like myself AND those who want the faster ramp up coils (and don't mind the glow).

edit: also, some of those clamp-style, mesh RDA's would be an intriguing option.

Just my :2c:

Summer

Long Island, NY
So, removing the o-ring does not leave a gap that lets air in? Can use wooden stems with 18mm tapered male end?

No, because where the o-ring is seated inside the sleeve is recessed. So when the o-ring is removed & a stem placed in the sleeve, it completely covers up (lies flush against) the o-ring recession. Hard to explain without a pic.

Yes, you can use both 18 & 19mm stems regardless of material.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Thanks for replies. I think a wooden stem option at the StemPod shop would be a great idea. I would go for wooden stem with glass insert that does not stick out of its wood sleeve, so less likely to break if dropped.

Haze Mister,
I never cared for wooden stems but a glass lined wood is a whole different story. Great idea. Best of both worlds.

Hackerman,
Top Bottom