StemPod by MPL

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
I got nothing up to now but would nevertheless prefer to wait until the new - proven - coils are available.

ray_b

I'm new to coil building so keep that in mind while reading this post. I've been experimenting with pre-built coils and coils that I made for the StemPod. First I tried a pair of Geek Vape coils, staggered, fused clapton coils in SS316L. The six wrap coils heated properly but the air drawn through the SP was barely warm. In VW mode I started getting very light vapor at 35w. I bumped the temp up to 36w and 37w. The SP was getting very warm but I still had poor vapor production. It appeared that the coils were blocking the air flow, forcing the air to pass around the coils instead of through them.

Next I pulled out one wrap to make a five wrap clapton coil. This configuration worked better than the six wrap. In VW mode I started getting vapor at 35w. I worked my way up to 40w still getting vapor but nothing equal to the vapor produced by the stock coils. My primary concern about the clapton coils is that they started glowing orange at 35w and by 40w the coils were bright orange so I shut it down and ended testing. These coils have to be glowing to produce vapor.

Previously I'd made two solid 24 ga coils that didn't work well at all. So next I wanted to build a spaced coil and try to maximize the surface area. I made two coils from twisted 4-strand 24 ga SS316L round wire, 6-wrap, ID~4mm. The resistance of one coil is 0.185 ohm per Steam Engine and two coils is 0.093 ohm. The mod I'm using to test fire the coils shows a resistance of 0.08 ohm so pretty close to what's predicted. The minimum resistance for the mod is 0.05. I've checked these coils at low watts to confirm that they're heating but I haven't gone higher.

I'm concerned that the resistance of the coils is too low. As I increase surface area, the resistance goes down. I'm also having problems getting longer coils to fit in the StemPod build deck. If I reduce the number of wraps, the resistance goes down.

My question for those with coil building experience: is a resistance of less than 0.100 ohms a concern, something to be avoided?

One thing to note about building coils for the StemPod, the limiting dimension for getting your coils to fit is the inside horizontal distance between the posts which is ~6.5mm. You can only pack so much coil into this length.

Something I discovered when making spaced coils, trying to pull apart coils in heavier wire or twisted wire is very difficult. What I've done is add one more wrap when making the coil and then unwrap the extra wrap while pulling the coil apart. You'll end up with a larger ID following this procedure, I'm seeing an increase of about 0.5-1.0mm.

LSO6UdbN_o.jpg

ZFLgTfIG_o.jpg

2L31t3xk_o.jpg

Last edited:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
As I increase surface area, the resistance goes down. I'm also having problems getting longer coils to fit in the StemPod build deck. If I reduce the number of wraps, the resistance goes down.

This is the problem I've been having too. There isn't a lot of room to work with to get a higher surface area while maintaining resistance. I've tried a wide variety of wire types, pre-built coils like yours, and SS mesh (which is especially difficult in such a limited space). I've got some ribbon wire on the way as well, but so far my best results were with the 20 wrap 24g round wire.

Hippie

Yay - shipping :clap::rockon:

I'm getting urges to wrap a pair of oval vertical clapton coils ready for it's arrival :science:
(and hoping for a fasttech code soon as I've got another 60ft of wire in da cart)

Evilevile

I feel so dumb reading all of this coil building stuff. :huh:
Buying wholesale amounts of wire, using crazy testing tools, etc.

Can those who are learned please refer me to where you gained such knowledge? :razz:
Is there a Coils 101
I don't see a section on FC for this either
Were you guys already using RDAs before and building your own coils, or are you electricians? I don't understand how you already know all of this.

But yay, shipping, I'm also stoked!

Now maybe I will understand a little bit of what you guys are talking about. :ko:

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Dan did a stream on Friday night & it's up for viewing. It was a pleasant, laid-back, shorter-than-usual stream. It was good. Sasquatch(?) joined in for a few.

But before I get into that, Dan's most recent IG Stories had pics of the the new coils being used. There are 6-wrapped coils, obviously ss or kanthal -- :shrug:what the difference being at the moment. And they have horizontal cuts across the width of the metal making it flexible/bendable, snake like. I'm obviously out of my league, here, guys. :rolleyes: I wanted to link to the coils on his IG page, but he hasn't put up any pics.

(@supershredderdan, if you can, please post those pics of the coil you had up on your stories recently to you IG page. Oh, & also pics of the 18 to 14 ss adapter prototype. & do you think you can setup a subreddit for the Stempod? I setup a link to your username so I don't miss your posts, but I have to do a search for the Stempod threads every time I go over there so I don't miss anything new. It would nice if all the threads were in the same sub-group that I could just click on. Thanks.)

& he said that most of the pre-orders went out on Friday & the remaining will be mailed out today. What I know for sure is that this board is gonna be poppin' when they're finally in hand. :o :clap: :spliff:

Anyway, for those who for whatever reason have issues with IG -- I don't, as it's a means to keep me informed in the vape world -- here's a summary:

Dan said he would be discussing in another stream, using the VXL Evo basket screen in the SP & how that went.

He also is testing out, in this stream, an 18mm male to 14mm male gong for sale on the website for use with 14mm rigs.

He showed a nice 14 or 18mm clear glass stem; 14, I think. I think he said he got some glass in that he's checking out. And he said he was considering a glass screen. This would be right up my alley as I'm not a metal screen person, although I can't wait to hear how the evo basket worked in the SP. But I love my e-nano fixed glass screen gongs & stem.

I believe he used an evic mini running FJ because he used cruise mode. & If I'm correct only FJ has cruise.

His settings were:
tcr 215

temp 385 then to 405 & last couple of hits 420. And boy, he got a lot of huge hits through water on that 1 bowl.

Coil: .26 thereabouts*

For cruise, he used a 300 sec cut off.

*Batteries were exhausted when he began so he said when you are swapping batts on a hot SP, after turning off, blow through SP so it cools down so that when you turn it back on after batt swap it will read the coil correctly. His coil setting after the batt change was .26.

And that's all I know, folks.

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
So this seems to be what I was waiting for. The project wasn't for me, the splinter I'm tired of rbt rants, ups and downs and as an international buyer I'm not gonna support him anymore.

So before ordering, until when the price is gonna be 99.99? Any other special discount for FC members?

I'm another one of he guys that's gonna need a coil 101 tutorial for this, but have been wanting to get into it for a long time. Any recommended links?

Thanks guys!

HerbieVonVapster

But before I get into that, Dan's most recent IG Stories had pics of the the new coils being used. There are 6-wrapped coils, obviously ss or kanthal -- :shrug:what the difference being at the moment. And they have horizontal cuts across the width of the metal making it flexible/bendable, snake like. I'm obviously out of my league, here, guys. :rolleyes: I wanted to link to the coils on his IG page, but he hasn't put up any pics.

Great news on the coils. There SS316 coils here's a link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl_oqi9lfOA/?hl=en&taken-by=modpod_labs

With the thicker coil wonder if is he running into any issue with heat build when running thru water.
Testing out a coil similar to this one. Finding under heavy use my device got rather warm. Going retry these coils later (see below) with the posted setting see how they work.

So this seems to be what I was waiting for. The project wasn't for me, the splinter I'm tired of rbt rants, ups and downs and as an international buyer I'm not gonna support him anymore.

Sounds like this be a great choice for you. The price right now is is excellent. Really other than the glass stem there nothing that's easy to break.

Being oversea the replacement coils would be a better fit. Much easier to diy than ship a unit back to the states if something goes wrong. Plus sounds like you will enjoy the coil making aspect.

Sad news my elevape battery has grown worse. With it no longer reliable she's now home use only. So now the stempod is filling her place. From one coil travel vape to another timing couldn't been better.

Decide I no longer needed to have backup coils for the elevape.

So in memory of many great years I will be using them today inside the stempod.

Here is the humm.. the owl?

2nbaluu.jpg

Last edited:

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
All orders have shipped! if you have made an order and not received an email let me know and I will double check if it has shipped or not. Also please make me aware of any special requests or maintenance needs so we can respond to them in the next week. I know a few people wanted replacement parts for their 3d printed stashes. Anyone who had their StemPod shipped with minimal packaging (a white box) can get a Wood StashPod for free (int customers may have to pay shipping but thats it.

Going forward we will begin doing blog posts and host our own subreddit r/ModPodLabs

Join now if you wanna be one of the first people on our sub!

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
What's about the new coils? Would have been nice to announce shipment before for further orders of replacement parts as it was promised. A bit annoying...

Hogni,

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
you get Sunday deliveries? What trickery is this?:o
Yep when it's shipped Priority they attempt delivery on Sunday. I guess that's an advantage of living in a major market (ATL).

Just testing the first run. Right out of box with no coil tweaking I am already better off than the beta version where I could not get the coil adjusted properly. That is really my only real concern with this thing...I already got it working well enough before to know it's a tasty beast! Now I just want to know that I myself am capable with swapping/adjusting coils without significant frustration. If I can do better this time it will be a keeper in my collection!

duff

Well worn
Just had my first go and the stempod is definitely more delicious than I had anticipated.

On my GH I get a very strong metallic taste. I was worried about that with the Stempod but after one load and a burn off, I didn't notice anything. In fact it tasted very pure.

The stempod itself has a real solidness to it. It seems very well machined. Everything fits together perfectly. Except the o-ring. I think somebody mentioned it along the way but it seems a hair too small. When reinstalling it, it wiggles around and doesnt find the groove. I wasn't able to get it back in place in my first attempt.
(See edit below)

When I pulled out the stock stem with the stock screen, the rim of the screen caught on the o-ring and came out of the stem.

When using the o-ring the stem is held in place beautifully. Really solid but cushioned.

This stempod had the new coils in it. They did glow but it was very even.

There is a bit of distance between the coils and the stem, especially when using the o-ring.

Taste is great. Very pure.
First load tasted similar to a Tubo.

l love the wide range of airflow, although even fully open there is a bit of resistance.

Stempod gets hot. Very hot. The silicone does a good job protecting my dainty hands.

It's very hard to imagine anything breaking on it. Comparable to the VC in that regard.

Great introduction to the Stempod.

Edit:
Got the o-ring back in by pressing it into the groove with a bit of force.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Just had my first go and the stempod is definitely more delicious than I had anticipated.

On my GH I get a very strong metallic taste. I was worried about that with the Stempod but after one load and a burn off, I didn't notice anything. In fact it tasted very pure.

The stempod itself has a real solidness to it. It seems very well machined. Everything fits together perfectly. Except the o-ring. I think somebody mentioned it along the way but it seems a hair too small. When reinstalling it, it wiggles around and doesnt find the groove. I wasn't able to get it back in place in my first attempt.
(See edit below)

When I pulled out the stock stem with the stock screen, the rim of the screen caught on the o-ring and came out of the stem.

When using the o-ring the stem is held in place beautifully. Really solid but cushioned.

There is a bit of distance between the coils and the stem, especially when using the o-ring.

l love the wide range of airflow, although even fully open there is a bit of resistance.

Stempod gets hot. Very hot. The silicone does a good job protecting my dainty hands.

It's very hard to imagine anything breaking on it. Comparable to the VC.

Edit:
Got the o-ring back in by pressing it into the groove with a lot of force.

Thanks for sharing. I Have some issue's with my hands. Found it was hard to pull stems out with it installed it might have lasted 2 stems then removed.

Since all my stems fit without it installed I haven't found need or reason to use it.

Personally I like my stems closer to the coil. Glad it's a removable item in the stempod.

The adjustable airflow and changeable coils sets this apart from my other 510 devices. Plus also the only one I use out and about.

The Steel construction can take a beating. Now that using a wood stems with it nothing really to break. Splinter glass breaks too easy for travel.
The wait time to replace the iheat would be heartbreaking, so not worth the risk.

Received the Mad Rabbit SS316L assortment wheel so far both the hive coil 0.55 and staggered coil 0.3 ohms work great. When installed they read half the listed ohms as expected. Using TCR setting of 88 both work in TC mode.

Been messing more with Arctic Fox but haven't had much luck understanding finding a good PI setting any suggestions?

ray_b

Received the Mad Rabbit SS316L assortment wheel so far both the hive coil 0.55 and staggered coil 0.3 ohms work great. When installed they read half the listed ohms as expected. Using TCR setting of 88 both work in TC mode.
Thanks, good information. Is the staggered coil a staggered clapton?

ray_b,

HerbieVonVapster

Thanks, good information. Is the staggered coil a staggered clapton?

Not sure just list it as staggered coil. Not sure on my coil winding skills so bought the premade Mad Rabbit wheel.
Really hoped thought winding coils would be good hand therapy. Sadly right now the benign focal amyotrophy seems to be advancing. Might need rethink coil winding ideal an stick with premade for now.

TastyTicTac

(See edit below)

It's very hard to imagine anything breaking on it. Comparable to the VC in that regard.

Great introduction to the Stempod.

Edit:
Got the o-ring back in by pressing it into the groove with a bit of force.
I also had lots of trouble with the o ring. I actually stopped using it altogether and don’t quite even remember where I placed it... every time I pulled out the glass stem, the o ring would pull the basket off the stem and I’d have to use tweezers to get it out of the stempod.

Do you find that with the new coils that you have to stir your load at all? With the stock ones it seems like I need to stir once or most of the heat hits the center.

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
I fired it for the first time this morning. I have a new evic vtc dual and I downloaded the update. I ran into some problems with entering a value for the tcr value range in SS 316. Where do you enter tcr 210 at? I ended up running it in watt mode at 54 watts and got some nice hits. I have a DNA 75 mod I will also be trying out. The stem it came with can real warm. I tried a different one it was cooler. The top hat screen was pulled off of both stems went removing. I may just remove it but will give it a chance. This is built like a tank. I shorted out one of the coils and had to remove and replace with the ones supplied at .30 ohms. I am glad I found my old coil kit. Its has all the tools you need and suggest you invest in one to make things easier handle.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I am not someone who enjoys tinkering with things. I learned long ago I have no aptitude for mechanical work of any kind. In my life unfortunately I have to pay people to do these types of things.
I have several vapes that have worked pretty much as soon as I took them out of the package. Thats good for me.
I ordered this one a couple days ago, honestly because I liked a picture puffitup put on IG. Started reading a little in this thread and am concerned I bought a device for people that like to tinker. If that is the case, it is fine I'll just gift it to a more mechanically inclined person. My question would be for people that have had this for a few weeks, is this fine out of the box or does t require modifications to use well?

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
You need to stay in wattage mode until you get more comfortable with your mod box. Changing coils with pre-built will make it very easy. The supplied allen wrench to remove and install your coils. Insert, tighten and trim the ends. You just basically need a good pair of long pointed tweezers and a good small pair of wire cutters. I am an ecig user who use to build coils the old fashioned way for unregulated mechanical mods. Now things are really easy with pre-built. Now I myself am having problems setting up my mod box settings so I will continue to use it in wattage mode until I can figure it out. It shouldn't be to hard with all the helpful members here. I am getting great hits with wattage at @ 60 watts.

Top Bottom