1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Steep Hill Halent

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by Caligula, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Caligula

Caligula *results not typical.

So I've been following the 2014 LA Secret Cup results and came across this company:

http://steephilllab.com/

Apparently they are doing residual solvent analysis on all of the entries. I figured I'd share to see what the community here thinks about it. Still waiting for them to publish results, but it should be interesting!

Just putting that out there in case anyone cares.

*Disclaimer - this lab is sponsoring the Secret Cup this year.... FWIW.
    Captain Comply, tuk and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  2. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

Yeah. SteepHill has been around for awhile. Sure would like to find a dispensary where all their bud and concentrates were run through the full tests but I would imagine they'd have to raise their pricing quite a bit. I wonder by how much though, 'cause I sure wouldn't mind paying extra to know that there wasn't inhaling anything harmful like pesticides and such. My old dispensary tested out all their product but not by SteepHill.
  3. Caligula

Same here and thats the best I can honestly do (not all of the concentrates are tested though). That plus they try to carry the "brand name" concentrates from N Cal and up in the LA area... however its all at a premium. Nug run stuff is typically anywhere from $60-$80/g when its not on sale (which is often, so thats nice). Want some Rump Wax or BAMF shatter? Thats gunna run you on the higher end of the scale for sure.
    Captain Comply and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  4. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

Depressing to see the results are all very high in residuals. Makes me feel a bit better about using ethanol lately. I won't say no to bho, but I may transition to using it sparingly and just using ethanol most of the time.
  5. Caligula

Whats even more depressing is that not all the entries decided to publish their results. I was hoping there would be a comprehensive list posted up but apparently its up to the individual entrants to post up results.

Cant say I blame some of them though but this doesnt help the community at all.

Also im still wondering what safe levels of these residuals are?
    Captain Comply and darkrom like this.
  6. kingtut106

kingtut106 Well-Known Member

30 out of 39 that is way too many
    Captain Comply and darkrom like this.
  7. tuk

tuk Well-Known Member

Where are you guys seeing the results?
  8. Caligula

I saw some results via instagram however I asked them directly and they said to check out the "Secret Cup SoCal facebook page". They also said it was up to each individual entrant to publish their results.

I no haz fB so I don't have access.
  9. tuk

tuk Well-Known Member

Not sure if this the right thing, it didn't come with an explanation, but the second group of numbers might be the PPM of pollutants...so match the Extract number with the ppm number?

Pollutants aside, here is how they scored:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Caligula and Captain Comply like this.
  10. Captain Comply

Captain Comply Wellness over intoxication

In my opinion Steep Hill Halent has a wide variety of testing available. With all of the solvent made concentrates available as medicine today I feel that it is extremely important to have that medicine lab tested.

Here in New England we do not have testing labs that have HPLC or residual pesticide and chemical testing. Most of it is potency and Cannabinoid profile. I look forward to it Steephill and other labs are set up here to ensure the safety of our medicine and health of patients.

I know there is a secret cup planned here for August 8 ninth and I'm looking forward to see which lab will be sponsoring those tests. Also I would like to see more than a simple pass or fail on butane PPM I'd like to see the actual number present.

For now I just fuck with ice because I know what's present. Just ro all my water and cubes

I just can't believe the ppm from a lighter while smoking a bowl. Ahhgg! .:doh: 700-1200 sorry lungs for all those years of combustion. P.S. Addison is a good person and knows his game. :tup:

Have a great day and be well my FC friends.
  11. Caligula

I found the results, but without the names of the extraction artists. 4 of the 5 that passed were solventless. The 5th was a shatter. I should also note that these measurements include pentane, and isnt a reading for straight butane residuals:

[​IMG]
    darkrom and Captain Comply like this.
  12. THC SCIENTIFIC

THC SCIENTIFIC Black Gold Manufacturer

Testing is good but current methods of validation and correlation of machinery is still lacking. Not only that to even be anywhere near what government would think is acceptable is that grow rooms must have periodic surprise inspections by the testing facility.

I know some people that used pesticides and other form of chemicals and would always get the 100% seal from labs because they knew how to correctly remove it.

I remember few growers had sprinklers system in the rooms to wash down the plants after a chem run and simulate rain. It's actually easy to fool machinery if you put your mind to it.

Industry has a long way to go. Just needs uniformity and some regulation.
  13. Captain Comply

Captain Comply Wellness over intoxication

If your on Twitter check out Steep Hills' feed. They are one of my favorite Twitter feeds that I follow. Many good articles and solid information that I myself find very interesting.

Hey You're also welcome to follow me but I'm a lot less interesting. Have fun today halfway to the weekend.
    Caligula likes this.
  14. 215z

215z Well-Known Member

Fwiw my go-to dispensary (Magnolia in Oakland) sends all their flowers and concentrates to Steep Hill for THC % testing.
    Captain Comply and Caligula like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors