Starting to think vaping is not the answer....?

Nosferatu

So my history of pot use is about 3 years, the first half combusting, the second "trying" to vaporize. I say trying because I have gone through like 10 vaporizers and tried everything from bags to whips to vaporbogs to lighter based, from low temps to near combustion temps. And its not like I'm just trying out vapor and not getting the hang of it. I've been a vapor enthusiast for like a year now, but I have finally realized that smoking it simply provides the most full experience.

Here are the reasons I cant really enjoy vapor anymore. Every hit, water filtered or not is etremely irritating to my nasal passage. I easily sneeze and cough and sometimes get a runny nose from this. Doesn't happen smoking the same strain. Also I am now certain vaping has a positive coreletaion with the amount of earwax I have, To much vaping and I'm basically deaf. :rolleyes: And finnaly, the high simply doesnt have that energizing, creative buzz to it, it jjust gets me feeling really good and cozy. I still see a time for vaping, but it makes me so unmotivated compared to a quick smoke toke. Not to mention I end upp taking so many hits because it simply isn't satisfying.

Its a good buzz, a great one infact, but I either need to vape and smoke 50/50 I'm realizing, or quit vaping altogether. I feel the high just lacks a certain something. I can't vape for social situations, or work or anything anymore, it makes me get pleasure from nothing. Does anyone else have these similar effects? (I know I'm asking this in the wrong forum...) :lol:

Nosferatu,

stroh

errl enthusiast
haha your dislike for vapor is exactly what i dont like about smoking(aside from the earwax lol)

i don't understand your last bit though,

"i can't vape for social situations, or work or anything anymore, it makes me get pleasure from nothing", ???

stroh,

Carbon

Just make edibles. IMO that is the true "full experience" for cannabis use that neither vaping nor smoking can even touch. Otherwise I might suggest vaping hash and/or other concentrates if your particular device allows for it.

Please also list what strains you usually like to vape/smoke as I am very curious about this and how it relates to the experience you describe.

Carbon,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
+1 to what Carbon said.

You have at least 2 other options before you travel BACK to the dark side.

Medibles
BHO
:ko:

AGBeer,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
AGBeer said:
+1 to what Carbon said.

You have at least 2 other options before you travel BACK to the dark side.

Medibles
BHO
:ko:

Lol, 'medibles' - I like.

@ Nosferatu. I understand what you mean about the nasal irritation, I get the same thing. The earwax thing may be caused by different things not to do with vaping though. This might help:
NHS

Regardless of the symptoms your having, IMO, it's worth the slight irritation for the health benefits of not combusting. You might want to take a few weeks break from bud all together to lower you tolerance levels and hope you fall in love with vaping all over again.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you see the light - not the lighter!

J.R.R.Tokin',

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Sounds like you need to mix it up a bit Nosferatu , vaporization is a journey not a destination , keep a couple different strains on hand . add some keif once in a while , change it up a bit . As for sinus issues I can honestly say smoke causes way more havoc with my nose than vapor ever has . But then again Ive always had sinus problems . A small price to pay for a healthy alternative .

No offense but 3 years experience with MJ with only half of that time vaporizing I can see why you are at a crossroads . You need to examine why you started to use MJ in the first place and why you use it now . A lot of us here are not here for the party , we actually need this stuff to curb our ailments . Why , because it work better than any man made pill . MJ isnt just a choice of intoxicant , it really does have actual medical benefits . I have 30+ years experience using MJ . It aint just a matter of getting high. The stuff works.

Samsquanch,

crawdad

floatin
i hate to speculate but without info on strains id start there and be sure its something that works well for you (variety/micture of cannabinoids present) and is potent (keeping in mind that mixture and potency both have drastic effects). i have a couple "weak ones" on hand most of the time when my "special ones" are in low supply and that is when i usually break out the bubbler or one hitter and i know what to expect of it.

another thing to keep in mind is "set and setting", i had a thread in here about it and i feel its key, almost more important than strain or delivery method...you might want to sit and think about environments and situations (consider location, what you wear, sounds you will hear, etc...all of it) and experiment and find something that "works for you"...we are all different.

it is indeed a journey, your experience in terms of time is similar to me...part of what i think has kept this journey still a very interesting one is that i keep it sacred, when its time to vape or burn i respect the moment and shut all others off that i dont want involved in my session so i can absorb the most and interact with it the best. :peace:

crawdad,

Nosferatu

Thanks for all the responses. I know I havent been using MJ that long altogether and I still plan to buy the vapexhale, so I'm not against vaping or anything. And I have finalyy found an old loving grower who knows what he is doing and grows some clean organic outdoor that looks and feels like indoor. I use Indicas, Sativas, the whole lot. I now have pure OG and Master kush(Organic Greenhouse strains). Would anyone say my problem is because I choose not to use indoor bud? Also I think its the terpene "limonese" that causes all the nasal irritation, and I have good luck avoiding lemony strains.

And to the first poster what I meant is the vape high just makes me very lethargic and uninterested in things, after that first hit all I wanna do is vape and vape. Yet I dont feel satisfied. I also can't concentrate on anything after vaping, like a movie or video game. But one toke of smoke and I'm energized and interested in everything, I also talk alot and seem to just be more normal. Maybe its just because vaping is giving you alot more of the ingredients. You guys made me realize I just probably need a break. :uhoh:

EDIT: So i just smoked a bowl with my glass rod, packed about .2, and got three milky smooth hits, mixing each time to make sure I hardly let the bowl get grey, just black. I wonder almost how this is anymore smoking than vaping the bud to black is? Not that I vape that dark. I think there is a fuzzy line between whats vapor and whats smoke when you start to get over 430F or so. I think most people just smoke incorrectly, you don't want to burn the actual vegetable matter of the plant. just douse the trichomes with enough heat to release the goodies. But anyways can't wait for the VXC to see whats really up, all the comments make me think its just the sideffects of the older style vapes most use.

Nosferatu,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
You seem to have a good handle on things . I totally understand the lethargic feeling and thought the same of vaping when I started but as I got to playing with strains , I find I dont get lethargic with straight sativa's , but anything with more than half indica in the strain and then yes, lethargic . Its a lot of mind over matter for motivation with indica's if you have to get things done but I can be done . Good luck in your journey

Samsquanch,

Nosferatu

terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 F
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic
a-terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 F
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial
cannabichromene (CBC) (Phytocannabinoid)
Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal
tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) (Phytocannabinoid)
Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 F
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant
pulegone(Terpenoid essential oil)
Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 F
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic
quercetin(Flavonoid/phytosterol)
Boiling point: 250*C / 482 F
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic
cannabigerol (CBG) (Phytocannabinoid)
Boiling point: MP52
Properties: Anti-inflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

Ok so according to a chart I have that I got from FC(I posted the 6 "ingredients" that vape off at above 400F) these are what you would be missing unless you vaped at 435F, I dont know if thats possible personnally. But the only thing that worries me is the property "memory booster" he states under the terpene pulegone. If he is implying there is a chemical in the plant designed to counteract the possible short term memory loss from the THC, I certainly want to be getting it. I feel the vape high is far too spacy and when I'm exclusively vaping my memory is certainly at its worst. We do know cannabis is all about synergy, all the chemicalls together create this unique high, and different ratios have different effects. I think vaping you are messing with it even further by missing a few, but I cant really be certain. Also THCV is the most psychedelic of the 3 or so forms of THC. If only this could be studied!!!!!

Also does anyone know what the boiling point MP52 means, is that a scientific term?

Nosferatu,

crawdad

floatin
i tend to vape very hot, but i start low...real low, and take a good 15-25 mins or so to finish out a bowl. when the bowl is done its real dark brown, almost black and in some cases has black spots here and there. the hotter it is usually the more able i am to do things versus that "lethargic" effect...but, i like lethargic as it helps my mind soar faster even if it looks like im just drooling on the couch. :lol: if im wanting to "do something" then i forgo the start low and just vape the whole bowl in 2 maybe 3 hits max.

enjoy the new vape when you get it. :peace:

crawdad,

Nosferatu

crawdad said:
i tend to vape very hot, but i start low...real low, and take a good 15-25 mins or so to finish out a bowl. when the bowl is done its real dark brown, almost black and in some cases has black spots here and there. the hotter it is usually the more able i am to do things versus that "lethargic" effect...but, i like lethargic as it helps my mind soar faster even if it looks like im just drooling on the couch. :lol: if im wanting to "do something" then i forgo the start low and just vape the whole bowl in 2 maybe 3 hits max.

enjoy the new vape when you get it. :peace:

Thats funny I tend to do the 2 or 3 big hit method lately for the best high. But I do agree you can get way higher doing the gradual method. Though even after 2 or 3 hits even more my bud is never past greenish brown, and certainly not black, I wonder if I should vape even higher to solve my problem...

Nosferatu,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
The only way I can cure my desire for a joint is to vape it until it's black or close to at least, & that really works well. Worth trying imo, but don't accidentally combust when you do because I suspect you'll be walking a fine line with that LSV.. ;)

OhTheAgony,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Get yourself a VG (of sorts) this pipe is much easier to combust with (accidentally) and this might be the 'fine line' you might be in search of.

My suggestion - get a VG and a micro torch. You get the best of both, and you save $$$ in the process :D

AGBeer,

crawdad

floatin
i agree AG, with the glass model you can really watch the herbs curl and change color to help you learn the sweet spot of backing the flame off and getting a real hot non-combusted hit.

crawdad,
THCV is indeed the highest in terms of amount of psycotropic activants. But uh, dude I'd say your south as long as you are using your jet torch + vector, beeline, water diffusion. I just can't rationalize smoking solo because I like to hold in my hits.

biojuggernaut,

dannite

Durden's Own
Nosferatu said:
So my history of pot use is about 3 years, the first ...
etc

I feel you dude. I love the variety. I tend to vape from a MFLB in the morning for a wake and bake before a shower, then do some oil/budder after breakfast for a clear clean high to get stuff done, and round out the evening with smoking various kief's concentrates and straight up weed. Well ok, maybe that is my fantasy day of cannabis usage, but the point is I like different stuff on different days with different consumption methods.

I wouldn't get hung up on one method or the other - just be happy that both are awesome and that you have the means/freedom/ability/space/privacy to make it your choice each day. [7]

dannite,

darkrom

Great Scott!
What vapes have you used? I'd find it hard to imagine (but not impossible) that if you ran a DBV or SSV hooked up to a bong or aqua vape or something you wouldn't like it. Turn that shit up real high if that is what you need. Whats the worst that could happen, you combust....like you plan on anyway lol. I'd say try a vape that gets hot enough to combust, and go just under combustion. Maybe over time you will work your temp down, maybe you won't, and maybe you will be a smoker until you die. I find it is generally lack of knowledge that leads people to think smoking works better than vaping, but you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject and like an intelligent person. Maybe (and I'm not admitting it quite yet) you are one of the true few who even when vaporizing correctly simply prefers to smoke.

I'd encourage you to stick with it, but you do what you need to do. I'd say vaping half of the time and smoking some time is still better than only smoking of course.

I really hope you learn to love vaping, but either way take care and good luck.

darkrom,

dannite

Durden's Own
Nosferatu - one question:

Have you vaped a high purity oil/budder/wax/putty off of a skillet or a hot nail?

While I enjoy smoking too, if I had to pick only one single type of hit thats what it would be. The purity and clearness of a pure, milky vaped concentrate is something amazing to behold.

dannite,

Nosferatu

I do have an eclipse but I technically can't be sure how good my hash was. Though I loved those hits. Also if i had to choose right now I'd choose to only vape the rest of my life. I think I'm going to follow darkroms advice and just do what I feel like at the time because like food, your body knows what it wants. :peace: Thanks for the info time for high temp diffused vapor b-load :brow:

Nosferatu,

Nosferatu

dannite said:
Nosferatu - one question:

Have you vaped a high purity oil/budder/wax/putty off of a skillet or a hot nail?

While I enjoy smoking too, if I had to pick only one single type of hit thats what it would be. The purity and clearness of a pure, milky vaped concentrate is something amazing to behold.

H'mm I do have a glass rod and concentrate bowl could I use that? I might go buy some hash because thats all I can get my hands on is that similar to an oil or butter? It would be good has from this collective.

Nosferatu,

dannite

Durden's Own
In my opinion, vaping a pure product ie 95%+ active ingredient is an entirely unique cannabis experiance from adulterated forms. With that in mind, I would *definitely* say you should try a product like this before you make any decisions about vaping gear.

Most hash has a lot of plant material in it. Obviously the full melt hashes are pretty good, but in my experience they don't taste great, they give a "hazy" high because of the plant materials, and are just generally difficult to use. I'm sure there are plenty here who would disagree with my assessment of hash, but it still stands that hash is still pretty different from pure products.

As far as how to get some? Look for oil, budder, silly putty and wax. If you're in nor cal I can give you dispensary names or you could just swing by my house and vape up. Look for something labeled as full melt and better than 90% thc.

Or you could make your own. There are TONS of guides online and very knowledgable people on this site. If you use butane or hexane you are going to be able to get a very pure product. In the next hour I am going to be posting the results and how-to on a single-hit micro batch done in a small space and quite cleanly and safely.

dannite,
Top Bottom