• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

SSV Water Filter (Percolator)

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Yeah I use one very similar.... actually it just occurred to me I don't now- it recently broke and I replaced it this time with a different model from elsewhere, but virtually the same (shown in this thread)..... but I have gone through 2 of those 7th floor bubblers- one was the spiral, and another was an earlier version of the 3 arm. They work fine, and give plenty of filtration for me.

I personally prefer a loose lipped style mouthpiece, so I changed mine and it no longer balances as I mention in that thread linked above, but the mouthpiece that come with the bubbler from 7th floor is more lightweight and stands up OK (you can still knock it over though).

WatTyler,

Sour Deez

Thats the same one I have, i definitely recommend picking it up. With water filtration you can get huge hits.

I also have a 12" bong i use sometimes, but the 6-arm filter is alot smoother so im assuming it diffuses the vapor better. I also think i get better flavor from the 6-arm, might have to do with the small hole on the sherlock compared the the wide opening in a bong.

Sour Deez,

lindonwoods

Sour, do you find you get bigger hits from your 6-arm or the 12" bong? I know you said the flavor is better with the 6-arm, but I'm curious to know how the size of the hits compares. Basically I'm trying to decide between the 7th floor 6-arm and an EHLE 100 ml.

My biggest concern with the 7th floor 6-arm is that I'd like to be able to stand it on a table without worrying about it tipping over. It doesn't look like it would balance very well, and in fact on 7th floor's website, one of the pictures shows it kind of resting on its side due to the weight of the sherlock mouthpiece. Have you had that issue?

lindonwoods,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
A 100ml Ehle is kinda tiny, what do you plan on using it with?

If you got a heavy hitter vape you might want to consider a 250ml as well. A diffused downstem is a must imo.

OhTheAgony,

Nycdeisel

Im just going to say i dont think 7th Floor really has very good glass, its alright, and im not even sure of the prices right now. it all looks like china glass to be honest :ninja:

even a straight tube or beaker with a good diffused downstem can provide a very nice diffusion for vapor!

just remember, that more filtration might make it smoother, however more diffusion almost always equals less flavor. also the bigger a piece, even if it doesnt have a ton of diffusion, can still reduce the flavor just by having so much volume. a few things to keep in mind when looking at glass specs :)

Nycdeisel,

SD_haze

Nycdeisel said:
Im just going to say i dont think 7th Floor really has very good glass, its alright, and im not even sure of the prices right now. it all looks like china glass to be honest :ninja:

Yeah... this part looks paper thin.
A glass piece is only as strong as its weakest point, remmeber that!

ssv.png

SD_haze,

lindonwoods

OhTheAgony, I had considered the 250ml as well, but the icecatcher model is out of stock on EDI and has been for quite a while. I still might pick one up if they get it back soon. I'd be using it with my SSV. I know the 100ml is small, but I imagine it would still give a significantly bigger hit than just the wand alone, correct?

lindonwoods,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I haven't tried that many different pieces yet, but my experience is that you can always take bigger/longer hits with something bubbling in between. I used to use a 500ml Ehle with my SSV btw. Worked just fine, although the tube was on the large side for a daily driver. The size made it kinda clumsy when hangin on the couch and such. I didn't care much for the ice pinches though. Ice and vapor don't really go together imo, and the pinches just made it a bitch to clean. I'm glad I got a 250 without pinches now, but that's all a matter of personal preference of course.

Is EDIT the only place that sells Ehle in the US? I know a better shop for 'm in Germany, but they don't ship to the US unfortunately.

OhTheAgony,

Sour Deez

lindonwoods said:
Sour, do you find you get bigger hits from your 6-arm or the 12" bong? I know you said the flavor is better with the 6-arm, but I'm curious to know how the size of the hits compares. Basically I'm trying to decide between the 7th floor 6-arm and an EHLE 100 ml.

My biggest concern with the 7th floor 6-arm is that I'd like to be able to stand it on a table without worrying about it tipping over. It doesn't look like it would balance very well, and in fact on 7th floor's website, one of the pictures shows it kind of resting on its side due to the weight of the sherlock mouthpiece. Have you had that issue?

Honestly, i feel i get bigger hits from the 6-arm. I think it diffuses better then my bong.

Thats my biggest issue with this piece, with the sherlock attached it wants to tip, it kinda wobbles, you can get it to stand, but its def an issue. With water is balances better, but isnt pefect.

Also about quality of the glass. Its actually a very solid piece, the outside is thick glass no doubt, but the arms are the downside, they must be thin. Mine actually fell a couple times(because of the stability issues, not like fall over, but like foot and half fall), one time was fine, other time one of the arms broke off, but the piece stayed intact. Still use it to this day, although its a 5-arm now lol.

I do like how the arms go all the way down to the bottom, which forces the vapor out of the slits. Alot of times with arm percs the vapor/smoke will just go out the big hole in the bottom and not the slits since its the easiest path.

I have had PLENTY of chinese glass in my younger days, this isnt chinese.

Sour Deez,

Nycdeisel

Ice is not necessary at all IMHO

Good point SD^!
i think an ehle would hold up much better in this case. much more stable as well. plus you have the option of another downstem

the 100 or 250ml should work fine with the ssv

Nycdeisel,

lindonwoods

Thanks for all the great responses! The consensus seems to be that ice pinches are not necessary. I'm curious about what aspect of vapor + ice you find unappealing. I've been vaping for a while, but I'm new to vapor bonging.:)

lindonwoods,

Nycdeisel

No matter if you are vaping, smoking, or neither, the ice in a bong will melt fast and change the water levels. it changes the volume of space in the chamber as well. and vapor is not nearly as hot as smoke, so it doesnt really need the same cooling, its needs more moisturizing then anything, and naturally with water filtration some cooling will be included as well. its just an added hassle to use ice with vapor bongs. I have never felt the need to cool vapor more then with cold water.

in addition, ice may or may not decrease the amount of flavor, and water already reduces it.

Nycdeisel,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I have one of those 6 arm water filters.

It is quite nice, but it won't stand on its own if you have the Sherlock arm attached like the picture above...

What I do is turn the arm so that the mouth end is almost level with the base.
This seems to adjust its balance enough for it to stand on its own.

As for the quality of the glass, it seems perfect to me, and none of the glass strikes me as particarly weak.

You will probably want to get a backup Sherlock arm or 2 though. They can't really handle a fall at all.

I've broken 2 so far :(

Frederick McGuire,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
The 7th floor website used to say 'these are made for us by a guy in Denver', but both mine arrived with a 'made in china' sticker on the bottom! :lol: Not being American though it didn't really bother me at all. The website doesn't seem to make this claim anymore, so perhaps they were called out on it...?

I did notice a big difference in quality between the two I bought, around a year apart, so it's possible that they work with their suppliers/the manufacturer to improve quality control. I certainly had no complaints about my last piece (although it did break when it fell from height at the exact point SD highlights, however I did also have my very heavy mouthpiece on there).

I believe it's just a matter of time before the quality of some chinese glass (there will always be the budget stuff) will be compareable with that of western manufactures- there's no reason why their blowers can not perform with the same skill as their western counterparts. Maybe not the same level of artistic inspiration, but they certainly have the potential to be as technically capable as anyone else. Just look at how the Chinese factories can perform in replica fine art if you don't believe me. And their musical instruments have gotten pretty good in recent years as well- still lots of rubbish, but also some nicer stuff. Really glass bong manufacturing is still fairly early there- as some of these guys gain experience I think that the possibilities are interesting. Maybe the days when all Chinese glass can be dismissed as shoddy are behind us? :2c:

WatTyler,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
lindonwoods said:
Thanks for all the great responses! The consensus seems to be that ice pinches are not necessary. I'm curious about what aspect of vapor + ice you find unappealing. I've been vaping for a while, but I'm new to vapor bonging.:)

It just seems un-logic to me, and since I'm a Vulcan.. :cool:

Ice is cold, vapor condenses when cooling down, therefor a loss in vapor seems inevitable when it comes in contact with ice.

I've never tested or did any research on this btw, so I guess I'm not a very good Vulcan :lol:

OhTheAgony,

SD_haze

OhTheAgony said:
SD_haze said:
Sour Deez said:
This is what i use with my SSV also RX Industries 12" 38mm Straight Tube

I have no clue the ml of this bong, its pretty small, but its perfect.

+1 rx industries stock tube
great deal for california blown glass

That's practically the same size as 250ml Ehle.

The big difference is the EHLE comes with the single-holed cheap downstem whereas all rx industries tubes have a hand punched hole diffused downstem.

That alone would normally sell for $30+ probably

Perfect amount of extra diffusion for vapor IMO (especially for harder hitters)

(Oh it also has better airflow because the downstem is 18-->14mm reducer)

SD_haze,

Nycdeisel

my ssfg straight tube is practically the same specs as that RXI 38mm tube. i used it for a very long time with a few different downstems and it always was hitting great. def a good deal for basic american glass

Nycdeisel,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
SD_haze said:
OhTheAgony said:
SD_haze said:
+1 rx industries stock tube
great deal for california blown glass

That's practically the same size as 250ml Ehle.

The big difference is the EHLE comes with the single-holed cheap downstem whereas all rx industries tubes have a hand punched hole diffused downstem.

That alone would normally sell for $30+ probably

Perfect amount of extra diffusion for vapor IMO (especially for harder hitters)

(Oh it also has better airflow because the downstem is 18-->14mm reducer)

I just posted that to inform him that they're about the same size.

But only at edit I think. Most places here in Europe sell 'm without a downstem so you can pick out your own. The diffused downstems are around 15 euro's over here and I think I payed around 25 to 30 euro's for the 250, + you can pick 'm up with an 18mm joint and/or ice notches as well. No recessed joint on the downstem though, that sure would've been nice.

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom