SSV vs. The Extreme Vape

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I own both and I like them equally for different reasons. I would say that the whip mode on the extreme is pretty good when use in conjuction with the fan speed set on one. I wouldn't want to give up either machine

stonemonkey55,

JohnDoeHoe22

from what i understand if your looking to vaporize using the whip method exclusively than your better off going with the silver surfer. It gives better hits with the whip than the Extreme? I would probably rather pull the hits out when i want rather than have it be blown into my mouth, i would think.

It seems to me like the silver surfer would have a bigger chance of burning my bud though, since it has the heater in the open and you just have hook the whip up right next to it?
The vaporizer i get won't move just right next to me in my room so being sturdy doesn't really matter to me unless if it's a pain in the neck to clean.
How do you clean the silver surfer and how do you clean the extreme?

Also I will have the vaporizer on the ground and be above it so will have the whip just pulled straight up...is either one of these vaporizers more secure in keeping the whip connected? I don't want to be toking and have it yank out..?

If your using the whip on the extreme where it is shooting the vape out too is there a way to not waste vapor and take a hit and stop it in between?

I really like the extreme but i really only have an interest in the whip method, though i'd like to just have the option of bags, because why not. I want to get the better whip before any of that and i dont know but i figure the silver surfer is superior there. The extreme has a lot of things though how i can do the fan, balloon, whip, bag and easily just stick in the aroma bowl if i wanted to, all of it coming together. the remote control may come convenient to. But really i'm looking for the superior whip vaporizer with less toxins and absolutely no burning bud. I think silver surfer would burn the bud a bit since the heater is like right next to the bud and the buds exposed to it..where the extreme is in the nice glass holder..what do you guys think?

Thanks a lot.

JohnDoeHoe22,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
When you dial in the correct temperature for vaporizing, the SSV will never burn your bud. I have mine set at about 2 o clock. If you want superior whip action and don't have a budget, check out the Vaporfection. For bang for the buck, you can try the SSV's little bro, the DBV. There are subtle differences between the SSV and DBV but the price increase that you pay for is more aesthetic than for increased performance. Not knocking the SSV, I own one myself, just trying to help you narrow down your vape choices by giving you more options.

stonemonkey55,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
from what i understand if your looking to vaporize using the whip method exclusively than your better off going with the silver surfer. It gives better hits with the whip than the Extreme? I would probably rather pull the hits out when i want rather than have it be blown into my mouth, i would think.
from that statement, i think ssv would be better for you. extreme is more for users that want to go between types. but the function that shines most on the extreme is its capability as a bag vape, the whip hits are ok, but the ssv is better, the extreme wins at being versatile, the ssv wins at big hits

It seems to me like the silver surfer would have a bigger chance of burning my bud though, since it has the heater in the open and you just have hook the whip up right next to it?
nope, if it scorches the bud, you have it too hot, but otherwise thats not a problem... if it was the ssv wouldnt be one of the choice vapes of this forum

Also I will have the vaporizer on the ground and be above it so will have the whip just pulled straight up...is either one of these vaporizers more secure in keeping the whip connected? I don't want to be toking and have it yank out..?
quite honestly, the extreme wins as a hands free vape, it doesnt have the large mass of the glass wand to support so the connection stays in much better
ssv does have a hands free model thats ground glass, but having the tube go at a sharp upwards angle would seem rather...precarious

I really like the extreme but i really only have an interest in the whip method, though i'd like to just have the option of bags, because why not.
right now, id say ssv is your best bet, you could look at the dabudda, a toned down version of the ssv for 160 that comes standard with a ground glass heater cover

ive been where you are now, most of my posts were of me endlessly debating what vape i would get first, then the one i had ignored (the pd) the whole 2 months i had been here ended up being the first vaporizer i got :lol:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

JohnDoeHoe22

yes thank you..i've been shopping around and around the $300 pricetag, looking for the top of the line vaporizors. I smoke buds on the regular and have been for a while. I have the money and the passion for herb to get the top of the line. At first because of all the hype of volcano i thought i wanted that, then i realized it was $500 and was like NOO, found out it was only bags and was glad that i didn't want it anymore anyway. So i've read about da buddah and seems is the same as silver surfer, but has some things different that makes it not as good right? So i want the BEST vaping i can get..with a whip..top of the line. So i think that's what has brought me to the Silver Surfer and Extreme. Because of the things i've read about using mostly glass and how other products use some wood and metals..and the silver surfer and extreme seem to use the top of the line products, the safest products and being two of the best vaporizers. Do i have it right?

Thanks a lot.

JohnDoeHoe22,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
johndoehoe, I know you are in the process of doing research and with the price point that you mentioned and the fact that you wanted top quality vapor experience, you might also want to check out the vrip vhw setup. It is not whip based but allows youto use your glass water pipe to vape. There is another thread in the vhw but if you are set on he whip, then go ssv for sure!

stonemonkey55,

JohnDoeHoe22

Is it a pain with the screens getting messed up a lot when cleaning or whatever on the SSV?
If i get the silver surfer is there any extras i should get a long with it?(necessities)
thanks a lot..this site has the most vaping info anywhere..

i might be getting the SSV soon..i'll be having to check my local smokeshop over here.
Anything i should beware of buying at a local shop?(it's my only option)

thanks again.

JohnDoeHoe22,

Beezleb

I have Da Buddha vaporizer, the little bro to the ssv. The screen is quick and simplistic.

With any wand vape I recommend that you order an extra wand and extra screens but they do not cleaned very often. A bit of iso cleans them up easy.

Buying from a local shop may be more expensive.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
Because of the things i've read about using mostly glass and how other products use some wood and metals
Wood, aluminum, stainless steel-all safe with the temps involved in vaporizing. Don't let paranoid people lead you astray. :/

So i've read about da buddah and seems is the same as silver surfer, but has some things different that makes it not as good right?
The only functional differences between the SSV and DBV are the heater angle, hands free standard on the DB, slightly smaller bowl and not quite as easy to change screens (DB), and a very slight difference in the vapor/air ratio, with the SSV getting the edge there but requiring a little wand rotation to spread the air around the bowl. The guts of the two units are the same (this info comes straight from Steve at 7th Floor), so aside from appearance, you should probably decide on the basis of heater angle and hands free.
Is it a pain with the screens getting messed up a lot when cleaning or whatever on the SSV?
As long as you use the pick to keep the screen clean after emptying spent herb, it stays in good condition for a long time. The glass wand is where the residue builds up, due to condensation. While installing a new screen is quite easy (how to video on the SSV site), it's more difficult to reuse old screens since removal tends to take the stiffness out of it. A ten pack of screens is $1.75-very good price-hopefully your local shop will have screens and tubing (7th Floor pricing excellent here too) without jacking up the prices. Too bad you can't order online from them. Easier to get the colors you want that way. Another reason to consider the DBV, since it's not customized like the SSV.

Either 7th Floor vape is a safer buy (long term) vs. the Extreme (analog vs. digital), and both will slightly outperform the Extreme in vapor/air ratio. I'd consider the Extreme if you want the versatility of whip, fan assisted whip, and bag fill, all in one vape.

max,

JohnDoeHoe22

thanks a lot guys...
so as i'm reading more and more i see its the SSV that i'm looking for.
Ok last few questions here..i'm looking to use the whip and i don't really care about small hits, as long as its vapor rich and thc rich. I don't need to see a cloud of vapor coming out of my mouth, i just want the smoothest most effective hit. is that the ssv?

Also if i can get more hits on one than the other i'd like to know that?

If i'm using my vaporizer it will usually be by myself and so i won't like to load a big bowl up. Are these both good for smaller bowls? which is better for smaller bowls?

thanks a lot guys.

edit-as i said before i will be having my unit sit on the floor while i am above..so the whip i will be pulling up. Where i will be it's not really possible for me to hold one end of the whip in the heater and the other end to my mouth. I don't really like the hands free clip either...will i have to hold both ends of the whip? one end in the heater other end in my mouth? if i don't get the hands free attachment?

is the extreme more secure and not needed to be held in?

thanks a lot

JohnDoeHoe22,

max

Out to lunch
i will be having my unit sit on the floor while i am above..so the whip i will be pulling up. Where i will be it's not really possible for me to hold one end of the whip in the heater and the other end to my mouth.
I think this setup would be very poor for the standard SSV connection. My Surfer is sitting on an end table next to my chair and I just put out my arm and connect the wand to the heater cover-very convenient. If you need to set your vape on the floor the Extreme would have better ergonomics than either 7th Floor vape. I can't see choosing a vape on that basis, but that's up to you. Looks like you need something that's hands free if the floor is your only option for vape location.

is the extreme more secure and not needed to be held in?
Yeah. Maybe you should visit youtube where you can see these vapes in action.

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Asides from convenience, any other reason why you would like the vape to sit on the floor?

stonemonkey55,

JohnDoeHoe22

ok..yea i've searched and searched on the extreme and there's really nothing just the 1 youtube video i could find, it looked amazing but didn't answer many questions i had. Thanks to people like all of you i now know more, i also got some help from a forum i used to get all my bud info from like yearsss ago but they didn't know much on vapes.

well aside from convenience..here's the reasons i would like it on the floor..

I like to sit in my chair when i smoke(why stand?) and i have no tables around me. I can put it on something but it would be out of place, ontop of a cardboard box or something or a hamper, it won't be a nice flat secure surface.(might even effect airflow?) So i think the best place to have it is on the floor where it can't be knocked over. It's flat wood, i can just connect the whip, load the mj and hit the whip sitting in the chair above no chance of knocking it over. Another reason is i don't know how long the wire to plug it in is but it's on the other side of the room so it would be better to have the wire across the floor rather than maybe be across the room.

thats about all i can think of right now..?
thanks.

JohnDoeHoe22,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Fair enough, and very valid reasons. What did you use when you were smoking before? Joint, bongs, pipes? I ask because I think that you can somewhat pick a vape that a person might lean more towards if you knew what type of way they preferred to smoke. For example, if you like bongs, then you might want to go with a Herbo or Vape type of set up. If you like pipes, then maybe the portable vapor genie. If you like joints, blunts, etc etc, a whip type vape is pretty close. If you want to put in on the floor but want a whip model, perhaps the angle of thee heater on Da Buddha would be ideal.

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
JohnDoeHoe22 said:
ok..yea i've searched and searched on the extreme and there's really nothing just the 1 youtube video i could find, it looked amazing but didn't answer many questions i had. Thanks to people like all of you i now know more, i also got some help from a forum i used to get all my bud info from like yearsss ago but they didn't know much on vapes.

well aside from convenience..here's the reasons i would like it on the floor..

I like to sit in my chair when i smoke(why stand?) and i have no tables around me. I can put it on something but it would be out of place, ontop of a cardboard box or something or a hamper, it won't be a nice flat secure surface.(might even effect airflow?) So i think the best place to have it is on the floor where it can't be knocked over. It's flat wood, i can just connect the whip, load the mj and hit the whip sitting in the chair above no chance of knocking it over. Another reason is i don't know how long the wire to plug it in is but it's on the other side of the room so it would be better to have the wire across the floor rather than maybe be across the room.

thats about all i can think of right now..?
thanks.
shit the wire is pretty long..hold on.....7 or 8 feet..possibly 6...still kinda long....as for no flat surfaces?!?!? dont you have any textbooks from school or a large scrap book or something! being on the ground causes stoned eyes to forget its there and it gets kicked around(with homies)

Hennessy1414,

JohnDoeHoe22

LOLL..yea i heard the wire was long. Well it would still be across the floor and i wouldnt want to end up dragging the wire and knocking it off the book or whatever. I could do that though although it's not what i prefer. I do think i want hands free though, because either way i would have a lot going on and needing 2 hands for it isn't best(imo).

One thing you guys can tell me is do either one of these requiring the bud to be grinded? Do either one of these give a free grinder with it? if so how is the grinder, good?

JohnDoeHoe22,

JohnDoeHoe22

thanks i had a grinder many years ago but i bought a wooden one instead of metal..i didn't know any better and went for the cheaper item, it was a long time ago though. Since i'd rather break it up for bong hits I never got another grinder, but i want one now so that will be cool to have a nice metal grinder and vape.

JohnDoeHoe22,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Doe,

Not to make this decision of yours any more painful than it already is, but is efficiency a concern of yours? I don't own an SSV and have never used one, but it has a reputation for massive hits partly due to the fact that you can really go through a lot of bud with it quickly. The Extreme is what I would consider to be a moderately efficient vaporizer (I've had one since February).

Funny how AofZ chimed in reminding me of his research and decision being similar to yours. That poor kid waffled for what must have been six months before getting his PD. I'll suggest to you what I did to him...how about a Purple Days (PD)?

So far on this forum, no other vaporizer has been as satisfactory to all of its users the way the PD has. With the PD you get the best priced vaporizer on the market as well as stealth, efficiency, portability, durability, and you will get pretty fucked up. If you had this unit, you wouldn't care if the cord got kicked because you cannot break it. I can envision you relaxing in your chair with the PD sitting on the floor until you pick it up, hit it like a coke can and put it back down. Then you'll fall asleep in your chair and wake up in the middle of the night with the unit still on, but it doesn't matter as it was designed to be on 24/7. Then you'll stumble to bed and, in the process, kick your vaporizer across the room in the dark...but again, the PD will be fine with that treatment. Then you'll wake up in the morning to the sound of your priest banging on your door checking on your salvation. He'll come in and see this pretty piece of wood on the floor and ask about it. You'll tell him its an oil diffuser and you'll put the bowl on it with some drops of oil and the place will smell great. When you finally get rid of the priest, you'll take the PD with its car adapter with you and hit it hard at the beach. Then when you get home you'll be amazed at how little bud you used to get fucked up for the entire day.

In a perfect world I would have a PD (for me all the time), a VaporGenie (gotta have one for the road), an SSV (for the occasional side-splitting hits) and a Volcano (despite it's high price, there isn't, imo, a better bag and party vape out there)...and I would have purchased them in that order. Of all those units I only own the VG. I HIGHLY recommend the PD, as it will be the very next purchase I make and I can't wait. Given your situation, I can't see any reason not to order this one first. My bet is that if you order any other units afterward, they will still be relegated to second fiddle when it comes to personal use.

Good luck...get a PD!

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
stickstones said:
The only unit I'm aware of that doesn't need bud to be ground first is the Herbalaire.
The Vapolution likes pieces much better than ground. Both of these will do ground herb, but they work better and easier with pieces. For about a year my options were herbie or Vapo and I didn't grind any herb at all.

max,

420Downunder

stickstones said:
The only unit I'm aware of that doesn't need bud to be ground first is the Herbalaire.
And the Crappy Vappy, sorry I meant Happy Vappy, no, no I'm not it was a Crappy Vappy :lol:

420Downunder,

JohnDoeHoe22

no thanks for the suggestion but i just want a nice whip vape that's what i want, no doubt about it, no sodacan no pipe. I guess maybe i'll just try to get the silver surfer but i like the way the extreme seems to heat the bud since it's not so close to the heater without a cover.

I'm looking to get high on my buds from a whip by smoking like .2 or like .15 as i get high from that much on a water pipe. I don't want one to waste my vapor like get one hit on the extreme and 3 on the ssv from it. I don't want one to waste vapor to where most my vapor is air coming in and the rest of my vapor leaked out or whatever. Causing me to only be buzzed rather than getting a good high from it.

I was thinking i can vape bud at a low temp and not really get a big rip to where i'm blowing out a cloud of vapor but just that i got all the thc in me. then maybe i could crank it up and get some more hits. I don't see that possible on ssv, i see it that i'm getting the heaviest vapor at almost the highest heat. (a little irrelevant though)

So if anyone of these are more effecient in any of the things i mentioned please tell me..
thanks a lot everyone..

i prefer a less so hard hit more just looking for a little toke.I'd rather take 10 little tokes rather than 5 big ones. So i don't know if your saying the quality of the vapor is better from the ssv whip or just that it hits harder, because i like little hits either way. I want it to be vapor rich and thc rich though not a lot of air and take little hits of some nice smooth vapor i don't need a big rip i got a small body. WHIP ONLY

JohnDoeHoe22,
Top Bottom