Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
this might be a stupid question but here it goes:

since i read the standard size mouthpieces are 3mm too long for the new Splinter (also Z i guess) which need 19/19... wouldnt it be possible to simply cut or grind off 3mm of the glass? I thought the size refers to the top of the connection.

Yes? Also my 19/22 stems fit my V2 so they may fit ZV1 too. Custom Z's are 22mm for sure already, but yes any 19mm joint stem can be shortened to fit, though getting screens in could be tricky

Summer

Long Island, NY
since i read the standard size mouthpieces are 3mm too long for the new Splinter (also Z i guess) which need 19/19... wouldnt it be possible to simply cut or grind off 3mm of the glass?

Open this link & then hit the reply button in the post & pics will show up in the bottom post reply box.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/page-45#post-1222238

I pretty sure it's just the RBT custom (which used the thicker German Scholtt(?) glass) & V1 Splinters that take the 19/19. Everything else uses 19/22.

Summer,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I just received a short xl8r from vapefiend today, about to test it out now.
Straight away the glass looks much thinnner than the photo currently provided by vapefiend, the dimples also appear to be much deeper on the version I received. It was £16.99 on their website so I'm quite happy with the price.
Here is a look at the thickness of the custom RBT stem I just got that goes for about $50 US. It is noticeably thicker and absorbs heat quite well...
29xugpt.jpg

Open this link & then hit the reply button in the post & pics will show up in the bottom post reply box.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/page-45#post-1222238

yes exactly what i thought, thanks for this! :)

I pretty sure it's just the RBT custom (which used the thicker German Scholtt(?) glass) & V1 Splinters that take the 19/19. Everything else uses 19/22.

Custom Z's are 22mm for sure already

im, again, confused :) is there maybe a difference between different batches of costum splinter Z's? I would buy it from vapefiend so maybe an older version?

Shit Snacks

yes exactly what i thought, thanks for this! :)

im, again, confused :) is there maybe a difference between different batches of costum splinter Z's? I would buy it from vapefiend so maybe an older version?

When summer said it I believe she was referring to the new custom stems, old Z's and everything else were 22mm male and female, V1 began using 19mm and Chinese stems are 19, then the V2 is supposed to be the same, but it is actually deeper bc all my stems fit fine with any screens. I think the glass is still 19 all around now, but the screen is a bit deeper. And I think any custom vape made by RBT in the US even now is still the 22mm anyway... So I think only with the V1 is trickier but of course there could be variance in glass all around

Shit Snacks,

Summer

Long Island, NY
@fluffyBollocks, as Shit Snacks said, the custom Zs are still 19/22. It's the custom Splinters & Splinter V1s that were changed to 19/19. I don't know how true it is, but someone previously said (Shit Snacks?) that the V1s are going be discontinued in favor of the V2 design which is 19/22 (& all ceramic, no mica insulation).

Before you purchase, confirm the joint size of the RBT vape you are ordering with the vendor to be 100% sure. I just wish all the joint sizes were consistent across the RBT line & I'm thinking they very well may be going forward. We've wasted so much time on this confusion.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

@fluffyBollocks, as Shit Snacks said, the custom Zs are still 19/22. It's the custom Splinters & Splinter V1s that were changed to 19/19. I don't know how true it is, but someone previously said (Shit Snacks?) that the V1s are going be discontinued in favor of the V2 design which is 19/22 (& all ceramic, no mica insulation).

Before you purchase, confirm the joint size of the RBT vape you are ordering to be 100% sure. I just wish all the joint sizes were consistent across the RBT line & I'm thinking they very well may be going forwards. We've wasted so much time on this confusion.

Yeah, that and mod firmware lol

I forgot about newer RBT custom US regular splinters, haven't seen much of those around, are they really 19/19? Like I said I think the V2 is still supposed to be the same, replacing the V1, but I guess the build is better with a deeper screen and more consistent? So I expect same for ZV1 but I am sure Vgoodiez will know for sure if asked about their stock

Summer

Long Island, NY
I already sent a pm to @Other Size asking him if he could put the joint size in the description of each RBT vape on his website. I'm intending to send an email to Ryan when I have time asking him to clarify all this confusion. :ugh:

Edited to add:

No, all the custom Splinter Zs are the same to-date.

I forgot about newer RBT custom US regular splinters, haven't seen much of those around, are they really 19/19?

Yeah, they were 19/19. I wonder now with the China V2 if Ryan is even gonna continue to make the Custom Splinters. As there's such a demand for the Zs it might behoove him to just to make the Custom Zs. If I were to buy again, it would definitely be a Custom Z which is the creme de la creme.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

The original splinter was also 19/22 seems like went if a full circle. Rather not be stuck using different stems if I decided to ever update to V2. I'm happy to see it changed back.

Again, I don't think it was changed back officially, I think we just got lucky with the exact configuration. Pretty sure the actual V2 glass is still 19/19 yet all 22mm stems have fit even with steel rim.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Pretty sure all the current RBT made stems have a 19mm male joint to be sure they will work in all RBT devices. The shorter male will work with all the females as some of you shorter males can attest... :brow:

There were at least several batches of Splinters made by RBT that had 19mm females, but as far as I know no Zs or Milaanas were ever 19mm deep. It would seem that RBT may have gone back to 22mm females, but I suspect he will stay with 19mm males for compatibility. I have not seen anything Chinese made so can't comment.

It would be nice to have something definitive. I will say that my new 19mm deep RBT stem works fine with my 22mm deep SplinterZ. It needs a little more heat than it might otherwise, but provides a very even browning.
I forgot about newer RBT custom US regular splinters, haven't seen much of those around, are they really 19/19?
Would love to see an answer to this.

HerbieVonVapster

It would be nice to have something definitive. I will say that my new 19mm deep RBT stem works fine with my 22mm deep SplinterZ. It needs a little more heat than it might otherwise, but provides a very even browning.

On the new RBT stem did the finer screen effect the outcome over the older wider mesh screens?

Shit Snacks

Uhhh... I'm not sure exactly how this works...:uhoh:

Did I read that thew V2 was actually a couple mms taller? If that is so it might be enough to include 22mm glass.

We never actually heard anything about V2 measurements except that it was the same, it wasn't until we actually had them and testing that our stems fit... I know my 22mm blue bent stem is able to spin around without being pulled out so that would suggest the V2 is not actually 22mm, though it does fit and work fine?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
On the new RBT stem did the finer screen effect the outcome over the older wider mesh screens?
This stem came with a flat screen that sits at the far end of the joint. I was concerned that it might be fixed in that spot but I have seen some movement in it, and I expect to remove it when it comes loose. It can't be pushed out from the other side as the dimples in the stem prevent pushing anything through the stem. The one load I did using that screen didn't seem inhibited by the finer mesh, but I suspect it will clog more easily.

I used that screen for my first load, but it makes for too big a bowl and leaves the goods even further from the heater so I will be removing it. I have used a rimmed basket screen for subsequent loads and that works fine.

cybrguy,

Shit Snacks

This stem came with a flat screen that sits at the far end of the joint. I was concerned that it might be fixed in that spot but I have seen some movement in it, and I expect to remove it when it comes loose. It can't be pushed out from the other side as the dimples in the stem prevent pushing anything through the stem. The one load I did using that screen didn't seem inhibited by the finer mesh, but I suspect it will clog more easily.

I used that screen for my first load, but it makes for too big a bowl and leaves the goods even further from the heater so I will be removing it. I have used a rimmed basket screen for subsequent loads and that works fine.

That screen is for using the stem as a vape, xl8r (NAV means not a vape though so elev8rs dont get mad... Weird the screen was still in place when being sold as a stem like this. You can remove it with a tool likely damaging it, but if you only plan to use it as a stem then you won't need that screen at all anyway)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Easywider

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, I was able to get the screen out by pushing it in and grabbing it with a hemostat. :p I'm guessing the dimples are going to collect a lot of reclaim so the stem is gonna get stinky between cleanings. It turns out the cleaning tube for my HA is a perfect fit for the stem for cleaning and carrying it about safely.
2exocxx.jpg

I was wondering what NAV meant. Thanks. :tup:

sickmanfraud

Yeah, I was able to get the screen out by pushing it in and grabbing it with a hemostat. :p I'm guessing the dimples are going to collect a lot of reclaim so the stem is gonna get stinky between cleanings. It turns out the cleaning tube for my HA is a perfect fit for the stem for cleaning and carrying it about safely.
2exocxx.jpg

I was wondering what NAV meant. Thanks. :tup:

Is an optical illusion? I only see 3 dimples vs. the 5 dimples (3 on one side 2 on other) I am used to?

And yes, the stem collects a lot of "good stuff".

sickmanfraud,

Cilleire

EuroVapeSim2
So does 20% fewer dimples translate to 20% less cooling?

I would be curious if it's as cut and dry as 20% for loosing one dimple, @Easywider how different are the effects between your long and short stem, do you thinks it's the reduction in dimples or thickness of glass?

@Hammahead I've played around with some TCR settings today on arctic fox. A TCR of 110 and my resistance locked at .44 has been giving me solid results, I kept the temp at 200°c. Nice even ABV with one stir per session, the jump to a TCR of 120 was enough to get hotspots.

Shit Snacks

So does 20% fewer dimples translate to 20% less cooling?

Is it possible you may have gotten the newer xl8r-d? Since it is a recent upgrade taking d from the drydrotube bc it has more square flat fins vs dimples, so could have less of em, but better cooling with more of a maze for vapor to follow...

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Easywider

Easywider

Simple is the way
I would be curious if it's as cut and dry as 20% for loosing one dimple, @Easywider how different are the effects between your long and short stem, do you thinks it's the reduction in dimples or thickness of glass?

They both play a roll in cooling, not sure what carries more weight though. If you had a cool stem to start with the thicker glass could be the winner but an already warm stem the dimples not only act as heat syncs but they also extend the vapour path, so winner might go to dimples.

What I can say is the thinner glassed JR does a perfect job for me. I can take huge rips without scorching my throat and I can also enjoy small sippers without loosing the heat feedback from the splinter.

The larger thicker walled XL8R almost has too much cooling for a daily driver YMMV but it really does a good job for monster hits. I rarely pull out ay of my glass anymore and I've been using my XL8R as my main cooling piece for my Flower pot.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I was wondering what NAV meant.

Probably not a vape. What does HA stand for?

Now there's a xlr8"d"? :doh:

I don't think it's the thickness of the glass if you are microdosing because I are not using the vape long enough for the glass to get hot. It's just that the thicker glass in more durable & feels nicer on the lips. I think it's the length & dimples that matter, but don't think 4 vs. 5 dimples would make a significant difference. My xl8r has 5.

Summer,
Reactions: Cilleire
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom