Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Stephanie replies to the emails sent to the email addy sickmanfraud referenced.

Supposedly, the rattle is caused by the mica & it's nothing to worry about. But if it's really bothering you, I'm assuming you can always said it back to RBT to be adjusted.

virtualpurple

Does anyone with the splinter or z have it up and running well with funkyjunky’s firmware? I have it loaded on my rx300 but I am having difficulty in using it without getting the “device too hot” message very quickly. I haven’t actually been able to have a session with it yet but I am eager to get it dialed in so I can go back to my cruise mode!

virtualpurple,
Reactions: SloJimFizz

VAPEHUNTER

My splinter Z has delivoped a rattle. Is this anything to worry about?
Hey Brotha, nothing to worry about it's just the Mica. see below.:cheers:

Is the “rattle” normal. Something is moving around in there. I can hear it and feel it.

Here is the “crappy” video...I’m at work.

Mine also arrived with this rattling. Please let me know what you hear back from Ryan if you contact him. Mine also happens to be Purpleheart.

Ryan just messaged me back on IG. He confirmed that it’s the mica rattling around and that it is perfectly fine to use this way. Nice call, Kerozen.

Why do some rattle and some not. I was going to buy a Z from the next batch but with all these rattlers, I think I am changing my mind. Can we get a real explanation (perhaps with pics) of what is rattling? Is something broken?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The mica plate(s) is/are only wrapped inside the heater but not secured. I guess with the metal contraction/expansion cycles they can get more or less loose over time, if they are not to begin with.

Alexis

Hey folks. So I only tried my Z 3 times but that was enough to be certain it wont possibly work for me with my bizarrely variable tolerance for different devices. So tomorrow my trusty friend Dave is taking it straight off my hands.

I will keep my Wismec RX 2 Gen 3 mod for another approching purpose. Just wanted to say a warm thanks to all of you in this thread for all the info and advice you have given,mnot least of all @HerbieVonVapster @Summer and @KeroZen
From boring Bedford UK, have a phat weekend everyone. :)

Summer

Long Island, NY
@Hogni, I'm not sorry for @Alexis. I'd be sorry for him if he didn't try & would always be wondering, as that's the worst. :nod:

Does anyone with the splinter or z have it up and running well with funkyjunky’s firmware? I have it loaded on my rx300 but I am having difficulty in using it without getting the “device too hot” message very quickly. I haven’t actually been able to have a session with it yet but I am eager to get it dialed in so I can go back to my cruise mode!

@SloJimFizz uses the Z on his Wismec Reuleaux 2/3. This post may be helpful as it shows the settings he uses:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...nvection-510-vapes.25465/page-14#post-1321770

Just do a search for Splinter in that thread because there are other posts, but you'll have to peruse them to see if they amount to anything you can use.

Last edited:

Alexis

Thanks @Hogni your empathy is appreciated mate. But @Summer is right, certainly on this occasion- no harm done at all- no loss, nobody was hurt. Call it a spontaneous whim, I didnt get any hopes up or have any expectations. I have been conditioned enough now not to get excited about a new vaporizer purchase when there is such a strong likelihood I will not be able to make use of it. Which is a shame because being excited about new devices is a huge part of VAS.

But I can't afford myself this pleasure because I have had too many disappointments before now so it is better to have no expectations at all. Hence why when I do try a new vaporizer I did not go about it the first time in the most measured and relaxed manner.

More of a hurry to just get some vapor into me anyhow to start assessing the reaction, before I even spend much time thinking about the device.

So I was fully prepared for this one to not work for me, but I am glad that I gave it a go and can pass it on to a friend with no inconvenience.

I will try the MV1 next. That will be an interesting one because I really can't predict it I would have put some money on the splinters being an issue the MV1 really could go either way for me.
So we will see. I am still able to medicate very heavily each day with just the Elev8r and Omnivap.

Still need to email Seb and get my Herbo fixed. Just had so little energy lately, packing and posting anything right now is too much on any day. As soon as my energy comes up I have some projects to tend to alright.

But for now, just focussing on being as happy and healthy as can be. Looking at the positives.
Enjoy your Saturdays everybody far and wide. Getting chilly. :cool:

Last edited:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Hope you get yours dialed in proper, or close enough for rock and roll.
You should be pretty close. If your ohms are locked in, wattage and temp set, it could be just a matter of dialing in your M1 # to suit your atty and draw speed. My Splinter Z is up around 230. The Splinter and I Heat are in the low 120's. The Tubo is 185.
Thanks for all you do for us at FC @Summer :clap:

Good luck on your continued quest @Alexis :sherlock:

HerbieVonVapster

Mine rattle too but you really got shake it to hear it. Since I there’s no reason that I’ll be shaking it that hard in normal use the rattled hasn’t bother me.

I was told that the rattle is the mica rubbing against something and possibly releasing tiny mica particles in the vapor path.

Is the person that told me that correct?

Hackerman,
Reactions: westchop

virtualpurple

Hope you get yours dialed in proper, or close enough for rock and roll.
You should be pretty close. If your ohms are locked in, wattage and temp set, it could be just a matter of dialing in your M1 # to suit your atty and draw speed. My Splinter Z is up around 230. The Splinter and I Heat are in the low 120's. The Tubo is 185.
Thanks for all you do for us at FC @Summer :clap:

Appreciate the support my man! My last effort with a tc of 185 and a temp of 380-445 (I was just trying to test vapor production at the differing temps) and with the ohms detected by screwing the Z onto the mod (I believe it was in the .38ish range but I didn’t take notes as I’m just kinda fiddling around when I should be trying to focus on studying) resulted in getting a few short puffs before getting the “device too hot” message on my RX-300. I am assuming that it’s likely because I’ve got some setting way off the mark and haven’t figured out what it is yet. I’m not sure which setting I should be adjusting to avoid getting that error while still producing the necessary heat.

This is my first experience with the wismec mods aside from the DNA250 I have, but pike you I just love cruise mode too much and find @funkyjunky’s firmware allows the handheld vape to handle a variety of scenarios effortlessly.

Previously I’d used the tubo itself, also a cuboid with both @Pipes project and the tubo-x both with great results.

I’m not sure if things are different because I’m using a different mod, or if I’m not used to the latest tubo firmware, but I hope I can get this dialed in correctly so I’m not cut short with the error message of “device too hot”.

Please forgive my inexperience here lol, for some reason I have a hard time retaining information when it comes to more mechanical or electrical things. I realize that our Z’s likely have a different cold ohm reading and that we’re using different wismec mods (you with the rx2/3 and myself with the rx-300), but would I be foolish to basically just copy all your settings to kinda set a baseline and then just tweak with the tcr m1 setting to try to find the vapor density and cook that I generally expect at that range?

virtualpurple,

Alexis

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Well my friend Dave came earlier and was very happy to take the Z away (he's handy lol).
He already has the Splinter which he likes except it cant compete with his Herborizers for hard hitting power.

Hence his interest in the Z. And it was nice to catch up too, this opportunity gave us the excuse to make it happen, and I gave him some nice buds to take home and try too so only good things came out of my Z trial and everyone wins. :)

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Appreciate the support my man! My last effort with a tc of 185 and a temp of 380-445 (I was just trying to test vapor production at the differing temps) and with the ohms detected by screwing the Z onto the mod (I believe it was in the .38ish range but I didn’t take notes as I’m just kinda fiddling around when I should be trying to focus on studying) resulted in getting a few short puffs before getting the “device too hot” message on my RX-300. I am assuming that it’s likely because I’ve got some setting way off the mark and haven’t figured out what it is yet. I’m not sure which setting I should be adjusting to avoid getting that error while still producing the necessary heat.

This is my first experience with the wismec mods aside from the DNA250 I have, but pike you I just love cruise mode too much and find @funkyjunky’s firmware allows the handheld vape to handle a variety of scenarios effortlessly.

Previously I’d used the tubo itself, also a cuboid with both @Pipes project and the tubo-x both with great results.

I’m not sure if things are different because I’m using a different mod, or if I’m not used to the latest tubo firmware, but I hope I can get this dialed in correctly so I’m not cut short with the error message of “device too hot”.

Please forgive my inexperience here lol, for some reason I have a hard time retaining information when it comes to more mechanical or electrical things. I realize that our Z’s likely have a different cold ohm reading and that we’re using different wismec mods (you with the rx2/3 and myself with the rx-300), but would I be foolish to basically just copy all your settings to kinda set a baseline and then just tweak with the tcr m1 setting to try to find the vapor density and cook that I generally expect at that range?

Not foolish if it gets you where you want to be, so copy away. Use your cold ohms though. I put my settings there to show the wide range between different attys. Tubos are 185, So I'm guessing other Z's should be up where mine is around 230. Splinters much lower in the 120's. My Z is a 4 holer, so more air flow, if yours is a 2 hole, could be slightly different. May take some experimenting, worse case a scorched load.

almost there

I was told that the rattle is the mica rubbing against something and possibly releasing tiny mica particles in the vapor path.

Is the person that told me that correct?

The only person that can answer that would be Ryan.

@money2 I asked Ryan if there will be any Z's stocked for the sale but didn't get a reply. This leads me to to think the answer is no, or if yes, it'll be added to the site very last minute.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Ryan said in an IG stream that the RBT store will be closed (go dark) on Friday, which I guess is mute if he doesn't have any stock.

Last edited:
Summer,

cjang

So does anybody know the material used for the heater element in the Splinter Z? Everybody seems to use different methods to derive the proper TCR for the device (Nickel, SS of different types, manual TCR setting, etc), but has anybody asked Ryan? Does anybody already know? It seems like it would make trying to use temp control much easier.

cjang,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom