Splinter Dos

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
So thinking of two ways of going with this. One is a heater update and the elimination of the medical grade epoxy for assembly. Possible inlet air adjustment? The other is a unit were a pod would be inserted into the splinter body and a phat mouthpiece with integrated cooling would be pressed on via an o-ring seal.....

Thoughts ?????

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I dont like adjustable airflow. It was kinda cool to start with on the stempod, but just ended up always using it in one position.

Eliminating the glass and epoxy should be a priority i would be up for a glassless splinter for sure.

oddjobold,
Reactions: bossman

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Both still have glass... One would look similar to the existing splinter and would just be shorter and be assembled by one screw down inside the female glass in the center if the screen... this should improve the ABV after watching the Haze Square video (hint) The mouthpiece would still have the same connection, a tapered glass connection that isnt secured. This requires less effort than the idea with a POD that gets inserted into the body and a cooling mouthpiece with integral cooling would be o-ring fit into the base of the splinter. Glass is easy to clean as you can throw it in an ISO bath and its easy to clean as well as doesnt get hot. The key desired outcome I believe is a unit that no "need for repair" part is broken.... if the worst that happens is that you drop the cooling glass when dropped and it comes with a spare and new ones are readily available ... wood warps, metal gets hot and glass breaks if you drop it. The first is nature, the second is physics and the last is a clumsy customer.

So, picture the current splinter with no epoxy or one that loos sightly egg shaped with the bottom being the 510 fitting, the middle the heater / POD, and the top part of the egg is the mouthpiece with integrated cooling. These are the two concepts.... what are folks thoughts on the pluses and minuses. Would you by none like OJ as they have glass... would you buy one over the other? If you like both, how much more is POD based unit worth? This is what keeps me up at night lol.

CL52613

Speaking only for myself, a pod system will have a negative impact for any of us with hand/finger dexterity issues. The current method to load material is very easy with the only real drawback being the issue of load material falling into the heating chamber or heater screen. The use of double screens eliminates this problem, but does introduce other issues which are a catch-22. With all convection vaporizers the major issue is getting an ABV that is even and consistent as the ABV of the better conduction type vaporizers. Since hydraulic power is the engine that drives convection vaporizers the challenge is to distribute the heat used for vapor production to be applied as evenly as possible. Currently all the convection vaporizers I know of pull the heat through the load from bottom to top, and this is the main reason the load needs to be stirred. Of course you could crank up the temperature but the degradation of vapor quality is the trade off. You could also slow the draw speed through the load but it will still impact vapor quality negatively. Convection heating demands the heat to be distributed equally to all surfaces of the material to be heated, if it isn't some of the material will be charred while some will be almost untouched. This is the reason convection cooking ovens have fans to circulate air flow. Anyway, I think whoever designs a convection vaporizer that pulls the heat through the load from outside to inside or vice versa rather than from the bottom to the top will have the ideal vaporizer. It would produce even ABV, allow a lower temperature to produce vapor, preserve the vapor quality, and up the efficiency. My thinking might be all wet, but I just cannot see a vaporizer pulling heat vertically through loaded material ever being able to heat the material evenly when the basic rule of hydraulics is to always take the path of least resistance, i.e. the reason why, so often, the load will be charred in the middle if the draw speed is to fast. Sorry for the length of this post and my meandering

triskelion

With all due respect Sir, why don't we send our splinters with you and make them a splinter with no epoxy
as you say.

triskelion,
Reactions: P.A.M.

kuzko

The best solution to the loading would be if you could just drop your herb right down on top of the bottom screen, stick the mouthpiece on (which has a top screen) and rip it. So the herb is just loose in between then when it’s cashed, just dump it and refill.

kuzko,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I am also not a fan of dosing capsules. The S&B ones are too hard to open and too easy to misshappen.

oddjobold,

Doktor Dub

Please don t use pods, i guess that would just complicate things. I like loading the Stem and i like standard connections and modularity so i think it would be great to have a standard 18,8 connection.
This would open up for third party stems and such.

Just my :2c:

papa_ent

I like the current load the stem method cuz it's super easy to clean. I feel like load the chamber vapes require more deep cleaning of the device. Not a fan of required pods to use a device but having the option is something many users like. Love the idea of built in cooling. The shape is really only that important as to how it impacts portability.

Dude you're on fire with ideas right now. Not complaining one bit and I hope I have enhanced the conversations. You have great designs already so I'm sure the next batch will be super cool as well.

Last edited:
papa_ent,

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Thanks to all for the great feedback.

@CL52613 I agree. Check out the provisionalan patent on my www ... one of the figures does just what you say and there is a concept design there. IT IS all about managing the airflow. The trick is making it simple and cost effective but still deliver even roasting. I have thought about ideas to mechanically do the in/out or out/in method that you speak of and thing a centralized load with radial flow or a inner heater tube that brings the air up the middle and then trough the herb radially. Both are challenging from a packaging standpoint and there seem to be other simpler methods to get that even ABV you speak of. The center hot spot in convection vapor is the result laminar flow effects... cant change physics... just have to trick it a bit

@kuzko we tried this back in the day... I cut back some mouthpieces and @pakalolo gave em a try as well as I and it there where some technical issues but yeh that is the dope drop. A "POD" idea is that it drops into the vape but then half is static in the unit and half in the MP so it can still be easily accessed as near today to give the best of both worlds... as stirring breaks the weed down mechanically and still is good to do even with even ABV and no system will ever be perfect ... and its nice to commune with the medicine :)

@BestBuds agreed... the design will start with the Seed and that will migrate to this design with an updated heater... so no glass, no epoxy and a new heater are the lock... its a matter of how is it best implemented to its fullest?

@Doktor Dub the 18.8 will still be available. This next design aims at true portability. The Seed should be fully pocketable with a small 40 watt mod. These days its all about smaller and easier as the competition now is a ccell with an oil cart... but I stand strong with the flower but will do the Seed next. I believe craft concentrate is the next big movement.

@papa_ent agreed... but what if the pod was the only soiled element and it came with 1/2 dozen and they cleaned with set and swoosh in iso?

So much great feedback all...thanks for the enjoyable crowd designing... now back to the day to day.

Doktor Dub

These days its all about smaller and easier as the competition now is a ccell with an oil cart... but I stand strong with the flower but will do the Seed next. I believe craft concentrate is the next big movement.

Rosin is THE big thing IMHO and it does not really work in a cart (or i can t get it to work good...) so i am absolutely your target market for the seed! I d buy a small and easy concentrate device from RBT in a heartbeat!

Bring it on!!!!!!! :rockon:

david8613

I am also not a fan of dosing capsules. The S&B ones are too hard to open and too easy to misshappen.

Pods are great! I use this with my mighty all the time. very easy to use load and clean. What would be cool is different size capsules. This way you can share or get a bigger session if you wanted. I'm a light weight so the mighty capsuls are good for me, but I know some who dont like it because it's too small, they need a larger dose.

david8613

I would think yes, I think that's why the mightys avb is always perfectly vapes, no green bits at all.

david8613,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I would think yes, I think that's why the mightys avb is always perfectly vapes, no green bits at all.

Not that this is the right place for it, but I believe the mighty is that way because of its strong conduction component even without pods! :)

Edit: that's what you meant I realize lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
pods ruin taste and can cause harsher vapor.......
maybe but I find the hack of using a modified basket screen as a cap for another basket screen as shown in the Splinter thread makes for even ABV and vapor that doesnt seem any worse than without it. I think it changes the airflow and adds turbulence in a good way. I agree that heavy metal pod can do what you are saying so I think a mostly screen design works best.

Anyone have any suggestions for Splinter Dos? My thought is that it would resemble the construction of the upcoming Seed (see thread for YouTube video of 3d Models)

RastaBuddhaTao,
Reactions: Summer
Top Bottom