Tek Spiderman's Oil Extravaganza!

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Gonna take my hand at making some BHO real soon.. I got some questions, sorry if they were covered, I read the thread but could have possibly missed something. Would 1/8th runs be worth my time? or should I be doing runs quadsized at the very least? I'm gonna buy a GonG extraction tube from a glassblower and am trying to figure out what size to get. And approximately, how many "good sized" hits would you be able to get off of 1 gram of BHO? Are there any good definitive guides to doing it? The HMK one that was posted in the beginning of the thread is a dead link.

Thanks in advance.

aznfknpride,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Go register at TokeCity. They have an awesome tech there and it's probably the definitive spot for BHO info. Tons of oil heads there with a dedicated forum to Hash & Oils.

As far as running an 8th -- waste of time as far as I'm concerned. You can use a 10% rule to get a guesstimate (it's at the low end obviously), so if you ran 3.5 grams, you'd get back .35. Considering I rip about .1-.06 each rip, you tell me -- is it worth it? Run a 1/4 to 1/2 and make it worth your while.

If you got any questions though, feel free to ask and us here will try our best to answer them. I'm relatively new to making oil myself, but already am quite comfortable teaching and helping others, yet even admitting where I might be wrong. :)

/me heats ti.... :D

SpiralArchitect,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Thanks for that info Spiral - I've been thinking I need to learn this BHO techinique myself.

Lo,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Got my Ti tipped nail/oil dome set yesterday.. now only if I had an oiler to make some oil!

aznfknpride,

Spiderman

oil baron
Azn,

Running 3.5 grams wont really work in any way you want. Even if you got 20% efficiency (very rare, especially when running something that small) you would have less than a gram of oil. For 3.5 grams, you'd be looking at anywhere from about .3-.7 grams, on good herb. As for how many hits this is, it is largley dependent on your own tolerance, but to those unfamiliar with oil a hit as large as .03 is generally enough to send them skyrocketing.

If you want to do smaller runs, the stainless steel turkey baster is the ideal extraction tube. However, an 8th is not going to cut it. I would recommend buying half an ounce, pack as much of it into the turkey baster as possible, and anything left over is just gravy.

Alternatively, take one bud out of your stash every time you buy weed, and stick it in a different jar. When that jar has 14 grams in it, make oil.

The link to HMK's thread on TC is 404, that thread was taken down about 6 months ago. Really, the technique is about the simplest thing there is, you can find the various details of it in this thread. Also, if you pick up last month's Treating Yourself (Issue 18) or WeedWorld Issue 82, you will find HMK's tech in both.

If it seems confusing in anyway, just post up here and id be happy to help.

Spiderman,

Beezleb

Spiderman said:
Azn,

Alternatively, take one bud out of your stash every time you buy weed, and stick it in a different jar. When that jar has 14 grams in it, make oil.
I know people who do this to get stuff to cook with for holiday goodies. A small bud from each bag really adds up.

Beezleb,

stinkmeaner

lo said:
Thanks for that info Spiral - I've been thinking I need to learn this BHO techinique myself.
There are great videos on youtube that illustrate the process

stinkmeaner,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Spiderman - Thanks for the tips man! I'll be sure to hit you up if I have any more questions.. Gonna order my oiler tomorrow. I got the dome and nail, blazer pocket torch should be here tomorrow (any recommendations on table top torches?), and some shitty qwiso from my grinder/stems lol. I'll probably be back with more questions once the oiler comes, just to make sure everything is all good...

thanks for the help guys, this is why I love FC.

aznfknpride,

Spiderman

oil baron
Torches, I recommend the Blazer GB 2001. Pretty much anything from Blazer, they make the best torches iv used. All other torches seem to have about a 6-9 month life span, some going as long as a whole year, but my year and a half old Blazer still fires like its brand new. To get it, just go on Amazon.com, theres a reseller or two.

Only downside is once you have one, youre going to want another.

Spiderman,

Trixer

One thing I want to point out here, and im not dissing noones oils or anything, I just am one of those douche bags who enjoys over educating here.... and all tihs personal opinion.

If we look at vtacs oil and compare it to spidermans, it seems vtacs is either a bit older or has been mixed with water, and the reason that I feel that in the pictures it seems like it has a "custy" type feel to it because of all bubbles and crusty look to it (this is because the thc is starting to "rust"), one thing I would like to express is if you look at spidermans it looks like it has been kept well it still has that "magma honey" type look to it!

Either way I tried packing both pictures into my vaporizer and I didnt get nearly as good feeling as you guys did it ;)

Trixer,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Trixer said:
One thing I want to point out here, and im not dissing noones oils or anything, I just am one of those douche bags who enjoys over educating here.... and all tihs personal opinion.

If we look at vtacs oil and compare it to spidermans, it seems vtacs is either a bit older or has been mixed with water, and the reason that I feel that in the pictures it seems like it has a "custy" type feel to it because of all bubbles and crusty look to it (this is because the thc is starting to "rust"), one thing I would like to express is if you look at spidermans it looks like it has been kept well it still has that "magma honey" type look to it!

Either way I tried packing both pictures into my vaporizer and I didnt get nearly as good feeling as you guys did it ;)
Sorry you didn't like the pics.

They were taken less than an hour after scraping and it was rock hard, zero water. My understanding is that bubbles that small are likely terpenes, keep in mind those images were highly enlarged with a sharp focus.

Spiderman's oil and starting material are superior for sure. I may be a noob in comparison, but HMK's tek with Spidey's guidance is about as good as you can get--- I can assure you that wasn't 'custy' oil.

Feel free to post your own pics and tek. I did notice you recommended using a plastic m&m's container with holes drilled in the bottom for a tube. Not worried about the possibility of leeching out plasticizers/etc. into your oil?

What do you mean when you say the THC was starting to "rust"?

vtac,

Spiderman

oil baron
I'm with Vtac on this one.

I dont know specifically which pictures of mine you are referring to, but pretty much all of it was rock hard shatter. The little shapes you see in vtacs are mostly the result of the physical temperature of the oil when you scrape it; when oil comes out rock hard, if you scrape it after the pan is cool it is VERY difficult. Scraping while the pan is still a little warm can yield very interesting shapes in the oil.

Some of the oil in the pictures is a little softer, but I associate that with a more degraded form of oil, not the other way around.

Spiderman,

Spiderman

oil baron
stinkmeaner said:
lo said:
There are great videos on youtube that illustrate the process
Just wanted to quickly address this...

Yes, there definitely are a couple videos that describe the technique properly. However, there are also a multitude of videos that display techniques that range from novice to stupid to downright dangerous. Last I checked, they far outnumbered the good videos.

To anyone looking on YouTube for oil techniques: proceed with caution.

Spiderman,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Hey guys, i recently made my first batch of oil ( i can understand the term oil head now ) I just bought a dosa glass curve off of FMB and will be making my next batch of oil tomorrow morning.

I was hoping someone could point me to HMKs technique because i cant find it anymore, it used to be on toke city im pretty sure but when they changed the layout i cant find it anymore.

Ill be taking some photos of my novice oil making abilities most likely.

EDIT: Just read your comment above spidey, where would one purchase those magazines?

I am just looking to refresh myself on how to do it to make sure im not forgetting something simple that will increase my yield, and most importantly his purging process.

Survivalism,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Well, go ahead and give us the skinny on your process. See whatsup. I was taught first hand by someone and learned most of what I now know by first hand experience. Never learned off a tek. hehe

My last batch.... no rusty THC here. :lol:

1z6h1c8.jpg

2nrq9ae.jpg

Spiderman makes a good point about the YOUTUBE videos. I've seen a lot of trash ones. I've seen some good ones too. I've been meaning and wanting to make a nice, comprehensive and complete video tutorial... keep your eyes peeled. ;)

SpiralArchitect,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Well this is my understanding of what i should do:

Ive got a sstb w/ brown filters and a hose clamp. Im using 320 ml cans of vector.

Take my bud and break it up into little chunks, pack the sstb snugly and put my filters on and clamp it down.

Take a frying pan and fill it with tap hot water, put my pie plate over that and blast the butane outside. After most / all the butane has evapped outside i take it inside and put it on the stove turning it on and off every once in awhile.

Cover it every once in awhile and pop the bubbles with my torch.. once they stop flaming up the purge is done and im good to scrape.

How bout dem apples?

Survivalism,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Unfortunatly i dont have pics of my first 2 runs, the yield was low i think ( didnt make sure my material was bone dry, didnt break the buds up into smaller chunks, didnt do alot of stuff lol )

I may do another run now even though i dont have my curve yet :(

EDIT: Thanks alot spiral!!!

Survivalism,

StickyShisha2

I've got a question about this so called stainless steel turkey baster that I got at BB&B.
it worked great, but after using it I discovered that there is NO WAY that it is SS. It doesn't attract to magnets.

StickyShisha2,

Mark

John Brown
There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

Mark knows his metallurgy.

Haha, I didn't even catch that. Don't worry, I do know better than to use that, must have slipped through. :ko:

Mark,

Qbit

cannabanana
Mark said:
Mark know's his metallurgy.
But not his grammar. :p:D

PS Not that it matters - I'm no grammar Nazi. I have a metallurgical engineer friend who's not much good at spelling or grammar. And the rest of your post is fine anyway. Your error kind of amused me though.

Qbit,

StickyShisha2

this was a fun weekend. 1/8 of Purple Kona Diesel and 1/8 of Blue Dream, made about 1.5 grams of the best 'shatter' i've ever had.
The SS turkey baster worked great, but i think i'll look into making something a bit bigger for next time.

Mark said:
These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon. However, the most common stainless steels have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

Mark know's his metallurgy.
Mark, thanks for the info.
are any of these metals a possible health issue?

StickyShisha2,
Top Bottom