1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

SPAM on FC

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by FlyingLow, Dec 5, 2018.

1. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Anything we can do about all the bogus threads popping up?

2. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

Let @Stu and @pakalolo know how much we appreciate them!

They spend time almost daily cleaning most of it that we never see. But if they can't get to it, we'll be swimming in garbage.

Our unsung heroes!

3. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

:clap: Bravo! I agree.

Squiby and stickstones like this.
  4. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

I, too, share your sentiments @stickstones.

Do what I've been doing. As soon as I see it, I hit the Report Button. I do this something when I see a "Please delete" post & for my own please delete posts. And if I see that someone marked their classified as sold, but didn't lock the thread so it's still listing in the For Sale thread, I'll report it. Now what I'm doing is when any newbie asks how to delete a post, I tell them straight-off to report it. Maybe it will hit a cord with some old timers & they, too, will start to report. It's just so much easier for us to flag posts as we come across them than it is for the mods to have to scour every post of ever thread for posts noted as Please Delete.

AtomicPB, Alexis, macbill and 7 others like this.
  5. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

Reporting posts is the most effective way as Summer said. Please don't be afraid of hitting that report button!

:peace:

AtomicPB, KidFated., Alexis and 10 others like this.
  6. Andreaerdna

Andreaerdna If God is the answer, then the question is wrong

Thank you very much @Stu & @pakalolo for keeping this place alive and wonderfull despite annoying stuff coming both from a not very active ownership and an aging technology (without speaking of feuds that sometimes flares here and there between us) :bowdown:

7. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Thanks y'all!

8. sickmanfraud

sickmanfraud Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a lot of spam issues be solved by not allowing someone with less than 25 or 50 posts to start a thread?

Mr.Kite, Squiby and Summer like this.
  9. ginolicious

ginolicious Well-Known Member

I never thought about that. I’m gonna start doing the same.

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Stu...absolutely. But I opened the forum yesterday I believe and I would bet that 90% of the first four pages of "new posts" was Chinese spam.

I know... you are not the admin....and the admin ...well, let's leave it at that.

11. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Yup... Those posts instigated this thread.

12. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

When that happens, it's usually one (or a few) spammer(s) that makes 100+ threads while I'm sleeping. They don't all need to be reported, so I wouldn't ask someone to do that. When I ban them in the AM I only need to take action one time and it removes all their spam.
    Yes there are several ways we can go about solving the spam issues. I want to make all new accounts have their first post approved by a moderator for example. Unfortunately we can't do any of them until @vtac returns.

:peace:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors