1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Sous Vide ABV?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by virtualpurple, Jul 29, 2014.

1. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

Hi folks...another odd question from me.

How much does cooking ABV into oils rely on stirring or agitation?

I have close to an ounce of ABV that I have been searching for a use for. I would like to combine some with coconut oil as people tend to get good results from that.

I do not have one of those magic-butter makers...but I do have a Sous Vide machine. For anyone who doesn't know, a sous vide machine allows you to control a water bath temperature to the degree You also control anything you put into that water as well. If I were to say...put a jarfull of ABV and coconut oil into the hot water bath would the oil and material play nice with one other or would I have to find a way to agitate the mix (similar to stirring pot in a crockpot.

If agitation isn't required so much then I'll be golden,. If it is recquired I'll have to figure out something.

CarolKing and nopartofme like this.
  2. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Virtual, Check out cooking with cannabis thread under FC Community. Find where it talks about coconut oil. I decided to buy the MagicButter Maker, it suppose to come today. I'm excited!

virtualpurple and MinnBobber like this.
  3. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

Thank you Carol, please let me know how you enjoy the MagicButter. It would have easily been on my list but I participated in the MassDrop for the herbalizer, so I'm a little tapped.

I have checked out some of the coconut oil threads in the past, my main question is whether or not the oil and ABV will have to be constantly stirred. If they do, then I need to go back to the drawing board. But if constant agitation isn't required then I could either bag or jar the two together and after giving a good stir, just place into a bucket of water with my Sous Vide cooker and let it go for as many hours as people recommend these days. Some people seem to swear by going loooong hours, which the SV cooker is perfect for.

CarolKing likes this.
  4. TeeJay1952

TeeJay1952 Well-Known Member

If you have ever stood at a stove and stirred for (and added more water) 18 hours. (since the 70's) a Magic Butter 2 will seem like a godsend. 2 hours unsupervised with an auto clean up.
    She blinded me, with science!

nopartofme likes this.
  5. fft

fft Well-Known Member

I am pretty active on the cooking side - medicated cooking or not -- and I use my sous vide all the time for this and think its the best method I've used so far. I use both coconut oil and clarified butter.

Generally I do a decarb in the oven first. Sometimes I grind it in a coffee/spice grinder after that once it cools but I dont think its completely necessary. Then I stick it in a bag with usually solid butter/oil from the fridge, perhaps adding lecithin if I remember. Then I put in a 180-190-ish bath for 2-3 hours. I might moved it around in the sous vide to agitate 2-3 times - agitation seems pretty good. I used to keep it in for longer but I am afraid of decomposing the THC if its in too long. Then I strain it though a 100 um superbag into a silicone bowl and let it set up in the freezer. The next day I pop out the cannabutter "puck", and put that into a vacuum sealed bag, marking the weight and date on the bag.

The result is a pretty strong. I use it to make chocolate bars with the coco oil. With clarified butter I make caramels out of the cannabutter and can get around 50 servings/caramels out of 8 oz of butter.

nopartofme likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors