Source Slim 4 is the best stealthy pocket nail !

AVENTUS

91cwnr.jpg

Finally picked one of these up after waiting for it to be in stock for months, and it's worth the wait!

Y'all know I have long been a fan of my Linx Hypnos Zero (still am) and modified puffco+ (sorta still), and Kandypens Elite is nice but has epoxy concerns. And despite not liking the size or aesthetics of the source Orb4, I LOVED its function.

But this Slim4 takes the cake among all the truly stealthy pens.

The removable Quartz bucket SourceNail is the best atty out right now. It can do low temp terpy delicious hits on green heat with the Quartz bucket, or can do huge dense hits with dual Quartz crystal atomizer on high heat. Draw resistance/Airflow can be loose and open, or be crazy tight.

It has all the advantages of the Yocan evolve plus (concentrate storage in base, microUSB, great battery capacity). It also has none of the disadvatages of the yocan evolve plus (suspect materials/glues/epoxy, terps leaking thru atomizer floor, bad airflow/draw resistance)

It's fatter than the Linx Hypnos Zero but not much taller. Slim4 atomizer can hold more concentrate than my beloved Linx, and will never clog your airholes if you overfill, since these air holes are above the chamber.

Also doesn't have the terps leaking thru floor problems of the Saionara and other new atomizers with airflow beneath the heating element.

The charger being ubiquitous is a huge plus too, since someone alwasy has micro USB hanging from their car/laptop/home theatre/gaming outlets.

It's crazy we waited this long for this to finally come out and be in stock, but it's worth the wait. Anyone looking for a versatile stealthy portable look no further!

Paka-cholo

Flaccid Member
I wish the slim4 looked like the slim3. I know looks shouldn't be the deciding factor. Performance should be, but I'm a Virgo I can't help it. Im almost tempted to just buy the slim 3 while they're is still some available. Excellent choices all around though @AVENTUS. Is the slim4 a lot better than the slim3 in your opinion?
What are the major differences of the slim4 vs 3 in performance if there are any?

AVENTUS

I prefer the Slim4 to my long loved Hypnos Zero, as my stealth/on-the-go pen. Since airflow holes nearly impossible to clog, much easier to clean, larger capacity atty, and storage in base. Plus microUSB charger makes it muuuuuch easier to charge out/on road trips if forgot charger.

It's works with all 4 series atomizers. I prefer the removable Quartz bucket SourceNail on both this and my Orb4. Never tried the slim3. I own the source Orb4, and love it, but the Slim4 is much more stealth, and better for on the go.

Haven't tried it with a TC mod myself but have seen the Slim4 on Reddit /waxpen or /portabledabs on a TC mod.

Yup 2nd from right.

I rank them:

1. Source Orb4
1b. Source Slim4
3. Linx Hypnos Zero
4. Modified Puffco+
5. Kandypens Elite (great tasting/functioning pen but epoxy concerns)

herbivore21

I prefer the Slim4 to my long loved Hypnos Zero, as my stealth/on-the-go pen. Since airflow holes nearly impossible to clog, much easier to clean, larger capacity atty, and storage in base. Plus microUSB charger makes it muuuuuch easier to charge out/on road trips if forgot charger.

It's works with all 4 series atomizers. I prefer the removable Quartz bucket SourceNail on both this and my Orb4. Never tried the slim3. I own the source Orb4, and love it, but the Slim4 is much more stealth, and better for on the go.

Haven't tried it with a TC mod myself but have seen the Slim4 on Reddit /waxpen or /portabledabs on a TC mod.

Yup 2nd from right.

I rank them:

1. Source Orb4
1b. Source Slim4
3. Linx Hypnos Zero
4. Modified Puffco+
5. Kandypens Elite (great tasting/functioning pen but epoxy concerns)
Tell me man, what makes it better than the puffco+ and hypnos zero? The non clogging airflow holes you describe sounds like a benefit, but how about flavor/clouds? Does it achieve clouds or is it the same old 'huff on a tiny dab for far too long' experience that pens tend to provide? Could I spend a .05g dab in one or two big rips without it tasting like burning?

I am quite interested to check out the quartz inserts since they'll be durable and most importantly, CLEANABLE. The shitty cleanability of most pens puts me off, I've not used any pens for a while.

EDIT: Damn, I've read on reddit that people have experienced breakage of the ceramic donut heater when trying to ensure tight connection between the donut and quartz/ceramic/titanium coil-less dish. Also I see mention of issues with the mechanism that holds the dish onto the donut coming loose with use and resulting in poor heat conduction. Have you experienced this?

Last edited:

jane621

Unapproved commercial account.
91cwnr.jpg

Finally picked one of these up after waiting for it to be in stock for months, and it's worth the wait!

Y'all know I have long been a fan of my Linx Hypnos Zero (still am) and modified puffco+ (sorta still), and Kandypens Elite is nice but has epoxy concerns. And despite not liking the size or aesthetics of the source Orb4, I LOVED its function.

But this Slim4 takes the cake among all the truly stealthy pens.

The removable Quartz bucket SourceNail is the best atty out right now. It can do low temp terpy delicious hits on green heat with the Quartz bucket, or can do huge dense hits with dual Quartz crystal atomizer on high heat. Draw resistance/Airflow can be loose and open, or be crazy tight.

It has all the advantages of the Yocan evolve plus (concentrate storage in base, microUSB, great battery capacity). It also has none of the disadvatages of the yocan evolve plus (suspect materials/glues/epoxy, terps leaking thru atomizer floor, bad airflow/draw resistance)

It's fatter than the Linx Hypnos Zero but not much taller. Slim4 atomizer can hold more concentrate than my beloved Linx, and will never clog your airholes if you overfill, since these air holes are above the chamber.

Also doesn't have the terps leaking thru floor problems of the Saionara and other new atomizers with airflow beneath the heating element.

The charger being ubiquitous is a huge plus too, since someone alwasy has micro USB hanging from their car/laptop/home theatre/gaming outlets.

It's crazy we waited this long for this to finally come out and be in stock, but it's worth the wait. Anyone looking for a versatile stealthy portable look no further!

The first one looks special,nice!:tup:

jane621,

AVENTUS

Tell me man, what makes it better than the puffco+ and hypnos zero? The non clogging airflow holes you describe sounds like a benefit, but how about flavor/clouds? Does it achieve clouds or is it the same old 'huff on a tiny dab for far too long' experience that pens tend to provide? Could I spend a .05g dab in one or two big rips without it tasting like burning?

I am quite interested to check out the quartz inserts since they'll be durable and most importantly, CLEANABLE. The shitty cleanability of most pens puts me off, I've not used any pens for a while.

EDIT: Damn, I've read on reddit that people have experienced breakage of the ceramic donut heater when trying to ensure tight connection between the donut and quartz/ceramic/titanium coil-less dish. Also I see mention of issues with the mechanism that holds the dish onto the donut coming loose with use and resulting in poor heat conduction. Have you experienced this?
great descriptive post, I have a clear view of what your style/needs are....

So:

source-nail-vaporizer-metal-apart.jpg

Their first gen removable cups on the first run of SourceNails (with the ribbed texture on the top cap portion) had this particular issue when people overtightened them, and would crack after repeated abuse.

quartz-atomizer.jpg

Their new SourceNail removable cups with the screwdriver inlets on the top cap part, don't have this problem. I have used this Quartz source nail atty on my Orb4 for hella grams and now on my Slim4 for 4 grams, and it's A-1. I don't even have to clean it that often since I use low temps. Charting/cleaning necessity is more for high temp dudes.

And any quick big 1-2 rips on any device will taste more dry/less terpy than if you take 6-8 small low temp ghost rips. Which is what I always do. I know exactly what 360-390 tastes like with concentrates, and I generally learn where the sweet spot is with each new device I encounter.

If you have a need for huge visible clouds, the Quartz cup can give you some smooth yet still barely smoky clouds on its higher heat settings, and ifcyou use the coiled atomizer of course you'll get big opaque cough inducing clouds, but they're never going to taste as good or BE AS HEALTHY as smaller almost invisible clouds, with the Quartz cup on low temp.

What makes it better than the Linx Hypnos Zero is neither spice can clog the air holes, whereas the Linx with more than a .1, would clog and splatter. Source has the ability to load way huger loads. Linx Hypnos Zero ceramic Flavor held the #1 spot for all of last year no question. And it's still not inferior flavor wise to the Orb4 or Slim4 with the removable Quartz cups. It's a tie. The source just have other advantages.

Puffco seemed like a revolutionary design, and in ways it still is, but the airflow and splatter are really poor, and the airflow holes being so low on the walls of the narrow chamber prohibit any load over like .075, at most, otherwise it will clog and splatter all up onto the dart. Plus Puffco even on lowest temp sesh mode finishes too hot. I modified mine, with some drilling, and that made it function so much better, but it still can't take a big load , for all day stealth. That's where I liked my Kandypens Elite, until I found out about their epoxy concern. Elite tasted great and could take a big load, and had a sealed floor, but it was sealed with epoxy, which I think effects high temp guys more than a low temp guy like me, but I'm still not taking any chances, and will probably pass it off unless Kandypens uses a different safer ceramic/Quartz/SiC material to seal the leads.

Last edited:

AVENTUS

Looks like a glossy version of uptech/w9's omicron and kiss ac.

Omicron_v4_Oil_Vaporizer_2100_mAh__61319.1454658672.1280.1280__78595.1458774436.1280.1280.jpg
Sort of looks like it yes, my homie Mike had the omicron with the 1701's, but the airflow, cleanability, and functionality of the Source is superior and it's not close.

AVENTUS,

AVENTUS

I wish the slim4 looked like the slim3. I know looks shouldn't be the deciding factor. Performance should be, but I'm a Virgo I can't help it. Im almost tempted to just buy the slim 3 while they're is still some available. Excellent choices all around though @AVENTUS. Is the slim4 a lot better than the slim3 in your opinion?
What are the major differences of the slim4 vs 3 in performance if there are any?

slim 4 works with 4-series atomizers, and the included Removable Quartz cup SourceNail atty which is the best atty on earth at the moment.

herbivore21

I've got a Source Orb 4 and will begin testing soon :D I'm also going to get a good quality TCR mod to ensure minimal frustration. What would you guys recommend here for a high end, compact, durable, non-touchscreen TCR Mod? I am not concerned about cost if it meets the above criteria closely enough :)

@AVENTUS what do you think about the ceramic and titanium bucket atomizers in the source btw? Thanks for your feedback man, it has been quite helpful! :peace:

AVENTUS

@AVENTUS what do you think about the ceramic and titanium bucket atomizers in the source btw? Thanks for your feedback man, it has been quite helpful! :peace:
the ceramic and titanium SourceNails need more juice I think than the Slim4 and Orb4 stick batteries need, but on a mod they'll be fine.

So I exclusively use the removable Quartz bucket SourceNail atomizer on both.

AVENTUS,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I've got a Source Orb 4 and will begin testing soon :D I'm also going to get a good quality TCR mod to ensure minimal frustration. What would you guys recommend here for a high end, compact, durable, non-touchscreen TCR Mod? I am not concerned about cost if it meets the above criteria closely enough :)

Brother I highly recommend the Joyetech Evic Basic for an ultra portable mod. Internal 1500 mAh battery makes it as simple as can be. The Source Slim battery is only 650 mAh. This is smaller, lasts much longer, and is temp controlled.

Here's mine with my Divine Tribe V3 and a W9 KISS cart.

2LbL1l3Ku.jpg

I just got an Orb 4 the other day though and am probably gonna send it back. The magnetic cap yanked the magnet out within the first 30 minutes, now when I pull the cap the magnet gets stuck to the atomizer. Gonna opt for good old O-rings on the Slim 4. It's supposed to be available any day now as just the atomizer, sans battery which is what I want. Hopefully it comes with the quartz dish. Tried the Ti dish in the Orb 4 and found it pretty harsh. I haven't dabbed off Ti in years.

They also have a 15mm version of the quartz nails coming for their Nail XL eRig which look interesting.

herbivore21

the ceramic and titanium SourceNails need more juice I think than the Slim4 and Orb4 stick batteries need, but on a mod they'll be fine.

So I exclusively use the removable Quartz bucket SourceNail atomizer on both.
I've found the titanium bucket to be quite good at first, but sadly it died after a few days of light use. The heater no longer gets power from any battery, even with no bucket installed.

Alongside this, the dual quartz coils tasted like burning, the magnet broke on first use, the quartz plus coil tasted like burnt electronics and seemingly swallowed my oil into some invisible cavity below the heater where it cannot be recovered. The Source 650mah battery had a misaligned voltage adjustment control which meant that the voltage setting was difficult to determine.

This was the most comprehensively failed vape that I have ever used! It is such a shame because I agree with you whole-heartedly, the bucket atomizers are incredible when they work!

I am sure that the quartz bucket would be amazing, I am just not prepared to spend (or any amount of money really) on these carts when IME, the heaters can die within a few days of light, gentle usage!

I hope that Source can improve their QC and beta testing practices, because they seem to have some good ideas with these nail carts! They just need to get their products to be reliable, durable and safe (if I taste robot fart, it is not what I consider safe!) before selling them to the public :2c: :peace:

herbivore21

Got that same electronic taste from the ceramic double coils. Sounds like your magnet lasted as long as mine. I have to assume zero R&D was done on that.
Damn man, I've also heard of shitty results similar to my own experience from my friends @nosmoking and @Baron23

It seems like their products have a problematic failure rate for customers!

Also to clarify, the source nail cart I was using is the same kind as @AVENTUS has, the second gen design with the flat head screwdriver compatible nut to hold the bucket in place.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Damn man, I've also heard of shitty results similar to my own experience from my friends @nosmoking and @Baron23

It seems like their products have a problematic failure rate for customers!

I sent it back today. It's not even usable with the magnetic mouthpiece latching onto the atomizer. I'm probably going to wait for the Slim 4 attachment. I hope it comes with the quartz nail. It sucks they only sell them in 3 packs so you can't even try them. I don't want to spend $50 on atomizers if they are crap, but even more so if they taste like burning plastic. Honestly I might just try this https://www.reddit.com/r/Waxpen/comments/6jne2t/divine_tribe_v3_with_a_ceramic_cup_atomizer/

I think my buddy @nosmoking just got the new XXL 15mm quartz buckets, hopefully he'll chime in on those.

herbivore21

I sent it back today. It's not even usable with the magnetic mouthpiece latching onto the atomizer. I'm probably going to wait for the Slim 4 attachment. I hope it comes with the quartz nail. It sucks they only sell them in 3 packs so you can't even try them. I don't want to spend $50 on atomizers if they are crap, but even more so if they taste like burning plastic. Honestly I might just try this https://www.reddit.com/r/Waxpen/comments/6jne2t/divine_tribe_v3_with_a_ceramic_cup_atomizer/

I think my buddy @nosmoking just got the new XXL 15mm quartz buckets, hopefully he'll chime in on those.
I'm looking forward to @nosmoking coming in with the good word on those new buckets. :)

IIRC, he prefers the Puffco+ to the Divine Tribe ceramic offering... I'm sure he can correct me if I got this wrong though :)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm looking forward to @nosmoking coming in with the good word on those new buckets. :)

IIRC, he prefers the Puffco+ to the Divine Tribe ceramic offering... I'm sure he can correct me if I got this wrong though :)

It's a modification, someone posted how to install a Source terra 2 atomizer into the Divine Tribe for a full heated ceramic cup, it's not the standard donut coil! I might give it a go, depending on how long it takes for the Slim 4 attachment to come out.

herbivore21

It's a modification, someone posted how to install a Source terra 2 atomizer into the Divine Tribe for a full heated ceramic cup, it's not the standard donut coil! I might give it a go, depending on how long it takes for the Slim 4 attachment to come out.
Oh I have heard of this one!

Btw, here is a high magnification high resolution snap of the heater from my titanium bucket atomizer which has got me very concerned. Let me explain:

The Source nail atomizers use a ceramic donut heater on a raised platform that sits underneath the respective bucket atomizer. The problem, is that the bucket, to be fastened sufficiently to prevent vapor leaking into the cavity below and hence onto the top of the battery center pin will scrape the ceramic heater below. See my picture of the bucket after 2 days use:

ln6Hu93.jpg

Notice that ceramic has scraped away around the edges, revealing the metal heating element encased below which is connected by positive/negative wires to the center post and threading respectively. The problem: In the event that this damage takes place and then the bucket is assembled subsequently in a way that does not seal the heater cavity from the nail dish itself, this may lead to small particles/shavings of ceramic in the heater cavity, and eventually, the vapor path! I cannot see any other damage to the unit, and have thoroughly inspected the wires internally. There is no buildup of reclaim or otherwise in the unit. I believe this scraping is responsible for the failure, and IMO, reveals an issue with the design. I was not at all overly firm when screwing the bucket into place!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
More inexcusable quality control issues from Source! And they openly own their own factory so there's no excuses here but compromising product integrity for profit margin. Thanks Source!

Alumina particulate in my vapor path makes me skeptical to EXPERIENCE TRUE TASTE

Adobewan

Any idea where that Source Terra 2 Atty/DT installation is located? I'd like to try it as well.
TIA

Adobewan,
Top Bottom